My Brain... Trembles!!!

Credits
Device
Mi 5
MIUI Version
Online time
663 Hours
Send PM

Mi KeyMi BandXiaomi 6 LaunchMi BoxMi In-Ear HeadphonesMi  BunnyMIUI 6Awesome!MIUI 7FlashholicMIUI 8I Love MIUIMIUI Devices ContestMIUI 2015Fantastic!Mi 34 Million Forum MembersMi NoteMIUI 4th AnniversarySuper MondayMIUI Fan From SingaporeMIUI Fan From IndonesiaDiwali MIUI Halloween2014 ChristmasMIUI Fan From PhilippinesHappy Singles' DayThanksgiving DayHappy Valentine's DayMIUI Lucky FridayMIUI Fan from TurkeyMIUI World TourRooster Year of 20173500K Forum MembersMIUI 2017MIUI 91900K Forum MembersMIUI 300 WeeksMIUI 6th Anniversary1st AnniversaryFan MIUI Philippines300K Forum MembersMIUI 100 Million Users1 Million Forum MembersMIUI Fan from MalaysiaMerry ChristmasGamer Mi BunnyAlpaca Mi Bunny I Love Mi BunnyMIUI ReviewMIUI FollowerMIUI Android 4.4 KitKatMost Active MIUIerMIUI Global Forum 2014MIUI FB FollowerForum Contest LoverAndroid GuruScroll Of WisdomHumor MasterInbox ZeroUpdates LoverDie-hard MIUI FanYouth PledgeStar Of Icons

[Tips & Tutorials] What the TECH?!!! #1 - Android File Permissions (and why should you care?)

[ Promote]
2873 25 |
15:02, Nov-26-2014 | From PC
|
|
Go to reply no.
This post was edited by iakwbos at 15:15, Nov-26-2014

Hi Guys! I've decided to do a series of threads discussing the techs behind our beloved Android Phones, so without further ado, this is WHAT THE TECH?!! Issue NO. 1

What the TECH template.jpg

Have you encountered some of these *gibberish*?
"set your permissions to chmod 755?"
"check if the file is executable?"
"set your permissions to rw-r-r?"

So what the TECH are these?

The Android Ecosystem is just Awesome. We all agree that countless forums like this one exist because we all want customization. MIUI was born 4 years ago because of that same mindset: User customization. We want more. That's why there's a plethora of Custom ROMs and App Ports and Xposed modules out there because of the openness of the Android Platform.

This is only possible because Android is using the open-source LINUX underneath. And still underneath it, is the grand-daddy of it all, UNIX.

LINUX? UNIX? What the TECH are you talking about?

unix.JPG

So wait? what the TECH is UNIX? Unix is an Operating System (OS) developed in the early 1970-1980.
Albeit it's age, it is where some of our modern OS'es are based upon like Linux, and even Apple's OSX and iOS.

What the TECH has UNIX have to do with the Android File System?

Since basically, Android is based from linux, and linux from UNIX, UNIX-based OSes, such as Android, files and folders stored in the physical drive and the system has a set of permissions associated with it which dictates who is allowed to do what with the file.

Let's break it into sections, shall we?:

In any unix-based OS, there are 3 types of people who can take control of files and folders inside the system:
OGO
O stands for Owner, G for Group, and O for Others.

Basically, YOU are the OWNER, and the users who are members of the file group is the GROUP, and those who are neither the owner or member of the group are under the OTHERS.

With those people in mind, there are 4 basic things they can do to a file or folder:
RWX-
R stands for Read, basically letting you read the file or folder, but not edit it.
W is for Write, which lets you write and delete files and folders.
X is for Execute, which lets you run the file if it's an executable script.
- is for Not Allowed. Preventing Access to any file or folder

Now, what the TECH is this: rw-r--r--?

permission gib.JPG

WHY THE TECH DO I HAVE TO BE AWARE OF THESE?

We're basically talking about customization here, am i right? Whether you are Making or flashing Custom Roms, or changing System fonts or icons, or even activating Xposed Modules in your device, it AWLAYS involves changing permissions inside the system.

For example, for you to be able to run a System App to your device, you have to push your APK to /system/app/ with rw-r-r permission which enable the device to run the app. Setting incorrect permissions can mess up your phone, bootloop it, and worse BRICK it.

So, How The TECH can I make use of this?

There are two ways:

1. Most Root file managers let you do this, given that your device is ROOTED. (The easier way)

Screenshot_2014-11-26-14-39-24.png

For your convenience, Here are some of those I personally use:

Rom Toolbox (lite and Pro)
Root Explorer
Cabinet Beta (where I took the screenshot above)
ES File Explorer
Amaze FIle Manager
and so much more...

2. Using Terminal Emulator in your phone, or ADB from your PC (For the more Advanced Users)

Pre-requisite:
Your phone is ROOTED
Terminal Emulator (for your phone only)
Minimal ADB & Fastboot (Download Here) for your PC

Some useful ADB guides  HERE (Credits to @DoxMAzz)

Why the TECH should you know about it?

Without proper knowledge of these permissions when modifying your Android Device, you can endanger bootlooping your phone (like putting system libs in system with wrong permission), and worse brick your phone.

Now You know what the TECH is Android/UNIX permissions all about.

~~~~~~~

Shameless Advertisement:
CHECK OUT WHAT THE TECH?!! ISSUE #2 SOON! Until then, stay awesome guys!

Favorite1 Share

Rated by 5 people   Experience Reason  

fredie271 + 1 Fantastic!
Inkorporated + 5 Fantastic!
Shuddhahnik + 2 Great!
ussmrg + 4 Great!
Iyengar + 8 Excellent

Experience +20  View Rating Log

Supreme Member

It has Begun

Credits
Device
Mi 5
MIUI Version
Online time
1069 Hours
Send PM

Mi KeyMi BoxMi Power BankMi In-Ear HeadphonesMi WiFi RouterMi BandMIUI 6I Love MIUIAwesome!Fantastic!FlashholicMIUI 2015MIUI 7Mi TVXiaomi Mi 4Mi PadMi 3Redmi 1SRedmiRedmi NoteRedmi 3Mi NoteRedmi Note 2Mi 4cMi 4iRedmi 22014 ChristmasThanksgiving DayFan Of MIUI BangladeshHappy Singles' DayFan Of  MIUI AzerbaijanDiwali MIUI 4th AnniversaryHappy DiwaliHappy Valentine's DayMIUI Halloween300K Forum Members600K Forum Members900K Forum MembersFan of MIUI Myanmar1 Million Forum MembersSingapore Birthday800K Forum Members700K Forum Members500K Forum MembersXiaomi 5th AnniversaryMalaysia AnniversaryMIUI 5th AnniversaryMIUI 100 Million UsersMIUI Fan from IndiaMIUI Fan From IndonesiaFan Of MIUI IndiaMIUI Fan From BrazilMIUI V5 Review1st AnniversaryFan Of MIUI Ex-Yu MIUI Fan from MalaysiaHilal Ramadan MIUI Fan From PhilippinesMIUI 50 Million UsersMIUI Fan From SingaporeMIUI Fan from TurkeyI Love Mi BunnySummer Mi BunnyAlpaca Mi Bunny Gamer Mi BunnyMost Active MIUIerMIUI Medals CollectorMi Bunny Game Master MIUI FollowerMIUI Android 4.4 KitKatMIUI Photography GuruAndroid GuruStar Of IconsMaster Of TechnologyDie-hard MIUI FanOTA FeedbackRingtone MasterRingtone Star Super ModeratorPioneer of MIUI English Forum MIUI Ice Bucket ChallengeForum Contest LoverMIUI G+ FollowerMIUI Twitter FollowerMIUI FB FollowerAndroid ElfMi TalentMIUI Global Forum 2014Mi Lover MedalScroll Of WisdomDebate MasterRingtone TalentUpdates LoverYouth PledgeRedmi Quiz MasterInbox ZeroHumor Master

15:14, Nov-26-2014 | From PC
|
techies love this

Comment

iakwbos haha, I bet they do!  15:15, Nov-26-2014
TRUE WARRIOR WILL NEVER GIVE UP!

Credits
Device
Mi 4i
MIUI Version
Online time
2829 Hours
Send PM

Mi Band 2Mi HeadphonesMijia Story TellerMi HomeMi BoxMi In-Ear HeadphonesMi VRMi BandMi WiFi RouterXiaomi 7th AnniversaryMIUI 6FlashholicMIUI 7I Love MIUIAwesome!MIUI Devices ContestMIUI 2015MIUI 2016Fantastic!Xiaomi Mi 44 Million Forum MembersMi 1RedmiMi PadMi 3Mi 4iMIUI HalloweenMIUI 100 Million UsersThanksgiving DayFan Of  MIUI AzerbaijanHappy Singles' DayAtaturk Mourning1st AnniversaryFan Of MIUI IndiaMIUI Fan From IndonesiaFan Of MIUI Ex-Yu MIUI 50 Million UsersDiwali MIUI 4th AnniversaryMIUI 30 Million UsersMIUI English Forum 2013500K Forum MembersMIUI Fan From Philippines90000 Forum MembersMIUI 20 Million Users100k Forum MembersMIUI 3rd Anniversary300K Forum Members2014 Christmas3500K Forum MembersSuper MondaySuper SaturdaySuper SundayMIUI Fan From SingaporeHappy DiwaliSuper ThursdayMIUI Lucky FridayFan Of MIUI Bangladesh2100K Forum MembersI Love 20161 Million Forum App InstallsXiaomi 5th Anniversary800K Forum Members1 Million Forum MembersMIUI 5th AnniversaryRingolicious Medal700K Forum MembersHappy Valentine's Day600K Forum MembersMIUI 9MIUI Fan From BrazilMIUI Forum AppMIUI 7th AnniversarySummer Mi BunnyAlpaca Mi Bunny I Love Mi BunnyGamer Mi BunnyMIUI Beta TeamMIUI Beta Team VIPMIUI ReviewAndroid GuruMIUI ExpertStar Of IconsMIUI Android 4.4 KitKatMi Bunny Game Master MIUI Ice Bucket ChallengeMIUI Medals CollectorStar Bug FinderSenior Beta TesterMIUI Translation ContributorMi TalentYouth PledgeDebate MasterUpdates LoverMIUI G+ FollowerForum Contest LoverMIUI FB FollowerMIUI Twitter FollowerAndroid ElfMIUI Global Forum 2014OTA FeedbackDie-hard MIUI FanStar Of TechnologyStar Of  MIUI Beta TeamMIUI KingMi Story TellerSuper ModeratorBest ArticleMr. DependablePioneer of MIUI English Forum MIUI FollowerMi Lover MedalMIUI Community VIP

15:27, Nov-26-2014 | From PC
|
Nice one... Let me know if you want to work along with me if you're interested to write articles.

Comment

iakwbos yeah, sure! definitely! i'd like that.  15:32, Nov-26-2014
Retired

MIUI Translation Team

Credits
Device
Mi MIX
MIUI Version
Online time
144 Hours
Send PM

Mi WiFi RouterMIUI 6FlashholicRedmi 1SMi 3Fan Of MIUI India300K Forum MembersMIUI Beta TeamOTA FeedbackMIUI FollowerAndroid GuruPioneer of MIUI English Forum MIUI Global Forum 2014Die-hard MIUI Fan

16:34, Nov-26-2014 | Via mobile
|
can't wait for the next issue :)

Comment

iakwbos thanks for the excitement bro!  16:37, Nov-26-2014

Elite Member

Work for tomorrow

Credits
Device
Mi A1
MIUI Version
Online time
635 Hours
Send PM

Mi Selfie StickMijia Qi CycleMagic CubeMi HeadphonesMi KeyMi Band 2Mi WiFi RouterMijia Story TellerMi Power BankMi Power Bank 10000MAH Mi HomeMi In-Ear HeadphonesXiaomi 6 LaunchMi BandUnlock MedalMi VRMi BoxXiaomi 7th AnniversaryMarshmallowMIUI 2016MIUI 8Fantastic!MIUI Devices ContestFlashholicMIUI 7Awesome!MIUI 2015MIUI 6I Love MIUIRedmi 2Mi 4cXiaomi Mi 4Mi 3Mi PadMi TVMi 4iRedmi 1SRedmiRedmi Note 2MIUI Fan From Indonesia800K Forum Members700K Forum MembersFan Of MIUI India900K Forum MembersMIUI Fan From SingaporeMIUI 5th AnniversaryFan Of  MIUI AzerbaijanAtaturk MourningHappy Singles' DayThanksgiving Day1st AnniversaryMIUI HalloweenHappy DiwaliDiwali 300K Forum MembersMIUI Fan From PhilippinesMIUI Fan from Turkey2014 Christmas500K Forum MembersXiaomi 5th AnniversaryMIUI Fan From Brazil600K Forum MembersHappy New YearMIUI 100 Million UsersFan Of MIUI BangladeshMerry ChristmasHappy Valentine's DayMIUI Fan from MalaysiaMIUI 6th AnniversarySingapore BirthdaySuper FridaySurge S1Rocket to FutureMIUI 2017MIUI Lucky Friday1 Million Forum App InstallsMIUI Monthly TalkRooster Year of 20171 Million Forum MembersMIUI Happy MedalSuper Sunday90000 Forum MembersMIUI Font LoverMIUI 9MIUI 7th AnniversaryPuzzle MasterFan Of MIUI UkraineSuper ThursdaySuper WednesdayMIUI 4th Anniversary3500K Forum MembersFan Of MIUI Russia3 Million Forum App InstallsMIUI 50 Million UsersHilal Ramadan 1800K Forum Members1900K Forum Members1700K Forum MembersMid-Autumn FestivalOlympics MedalMIUI Fan From NepalMIUI 300 WeeksMIUI Forum App1500K Forum MembersMIUI World TourPokemon Master MedalMIUI Fan from IndiaI Love 2016Fan Of MIUI Italy2100K Forum MembersFan Of MIUI PolandGamer Mi BunnyAlpaca Mi Bunny Summer Mi BunnyI Love Mi BunnyMiPopMIUI Device TeamMIUI Beta TeamMIUI ReviewAndroid GuruMIUI FollowerPioneer of MIUI English Forum Humor MasterStar Of IconsMost Active MIUIerMIUI Medals CollectorMi TalentStar Of TechnologyApp TalentMi Lover MedalTechnology GuruRingtone Star App TalentMIUI ExpertMost Popular Forum UserTheme TalentMIUI KingMi Story TellerMaster Of TechnologyMi Bunny Game Master MIUI G+ FollowerInbox ZeroMIUI Android 4.4 KitKatYouth PledgeUpdates LoverOTA FeedbackForum Contest LoverMIUI FB FollowerDebate MasterScroll Of WisdomMIUI Twitter FollowerAndroid ElfMIUI Global Forum 2014Die-hard MIUI Fan

19:47, Nov-26-2014 | From PC
|
great work bro ... very informatic
Love MiUi

Elite Member

Credits
Device
Mi 3
MIUI Version
Online time
320 Hours
Send PM

Mi KeyMi BandMi In-Ear HeadphonesMi BoxFantastic!MIUI 2016Awesome!MIUI 2015MIUI 6I Love MIUIFlashholicMi 3Mi TVRedmiRedmi 1SRedmi NoteFan Of MIUI IndiaThanksgiving DayMIUI Fan From Indonesia1st AnniversaryMIUI Fan From SingaporeMIUI Fan From PhilippinesMIUI Fan from IndiaMIUI 4th AnniversaryDiwali MIUI 50 Million UsersMIUI Fan from MalaysiaAtaturk MourningHappy DiwaliFan Of MIUI Ex-Yu Happy Singles' DayFan Of MIUI BangladeshFan Of  MIUI AzerbaijanMIUI Halloween2014 Christmas300K Forum MembersHappy Valentine's DayMIUI Fan from TurkeyAlpaca Mi Bunny I Love Mi BunnyMiPopGamer Mi BunnySummer Mi BunnyMIUI News TeamPioneer of MIUI English Forum Android ElfInbox ZeroYouth PledgeStar MIUI News Team MemberAndroid GuruUpdates LoverHumor MasterStar Of IconsMIUI FB FollowerForum Contest LoverMIUI FollowerDie-hard MIUI FanMIUI Global Forum 2014Redmi Quiz MasterMIUI Android 4.4 KitKatOTA FeedbackMi Bunny Game Master

03:29, Dec-02-2014 | From PC
|
Great writing!..and also i love the presentation style...you have really worked hard on it!...Thanks!

Comment

iakwbos Thanks for the support mate!  07:56, Dec-02-2014

Diamond Member

Credits
Device
Mi 3
MIUI Version
Online time
89 Hours
Send PM

Mi KeyMi BoxI Love MIUIMIUI 2015Awesome!MIUI 8MIUI 6Mi TVFan Of MIUI India300K Forum MembersHappy DiwaliHappy Singles' DayDiwali MIUI 4th AnniversaryThanksgiving DayI Love Mi BunnyMIUI Beta TeamDie-hard MIUI FanMi TalentAndroid GuruMost Active MIUIer

22:54, Dec-02-2014 | From PC
|
Love this series want more every week

Comment

iakwbos Thanks for the support!  23:51, Dec-02-2014
“The world wasn't made for us, we were made for the world.”

Elite Member

Credits
Device
Mi 4
MIUI Version
Online time
174 Hours
Send PM

Mi WiFi RouterXiaomi 6 LaunchMijia Mi Bunny RobotMi VRMi VR HeadsetMi Power Bank 10000MAH Mi MIXMijia Electric ScooterMi Water PurifierMi WiFiMi Power StripMi KeyMi In-Ear HeadphonesMi BandMagic CubeYi Action CameraMi  BunnyMijia Walkie TalkieMi HomeMijia Story TellerMi Band 2Mijia Qi CycleMi HeadphonesMi Bluetooth SpeakerYeelight Bedside LampMijia VR Play 2Mi Yi CameraMi Air PurifierMi WiFi Router MiniMi Selfie StickUnlock MedalMi Power BankXiaomi 7th AnniversaryMIUI 2015Fantastic!I Love MIUIMarshmallowMIUI 8MIUI 2016MIUI 6MIUI 7FlashholicMIUI Devices ContestAwesome!Mi 4cRedmi Note 2Xiaomi Mi 4Mi PadRedmi 24 Million Forum MembersRedmi NoteMi 4iMi TVRedmi 1SUEFA EURO Medal1300K Forum Members5 Million Forum PostsXiaomi 6th AnniversaryMIUI 4th AnniversaryMIUI Fan From SingaporeFan Of MIUI PolandMIUI Fan From Vietnam2014 Christmas300K Forum MembersMIUI 6th AnniversaryPokemon Master MedalMIUI Fan from TurkeyMIUI Fan From NepalMIUI Fan From IndonesiaFan Of MIUI Greece1 Million Forum MembersMIUI Halloween900K Forum Members500K Forum MembersMIUI 100 Million UsersMIUI Fan from Malaysia600K Forum Members700K Forum MembersHilal Ramadan 800K Forum MembersThanksgiving DayDiwali MIUI Fan from IndiaMIUI Fan From PhilippinesMIUI 5th AnniversaryHappy New YearFan Of  MIUI AzerbaijanMerry ChristmasHappy Valentine's DayFan Of MIUI IndiaFan of MIUI MyanmarMIUI Fan From BrazilSuper WednesdayWomen's Day MedalSurge S1Fan Of MIUI France10 Million Forum PostsPuzzle Master3 Million Forum MembersSuper TuesdaySuper MondayRooster Year of 2017MIUI 2017Olympics Medal3 Million Forum App InstallsFan Of MIUI BulgariaMIUI Drawing TalentSuper ThursdayRocket to Future90000 Forum MembersMIUI Happy MedalXiaomi 5th AnniversaryMIUI Philippines Fan MeetupMIUI 7th AnniversaryMIUI 9Fan Of MIUI AustraliaFan Of MIUI UkraineHappy Holi Medal5 Million Forum App InstallsSuper SaturdayMIUI Font Lover3500K Forum MembersSuper Sunday1 Million Forum App InstallsMIUI Monthly TalkMIUI Forum App2100K Forum Members1500K Forum MembersMIUI Marathon MedalMid-Autumn FestivalFan Of MIUI BangladeshMi Live MedalI Love 20161400K Forum MembersMIUI World TourHappy DiwaliFan Of MIUI SpainMIUI Weekly PollMalaysia AnniversaryMIUI 300 WeeksFan Of MIUI ItalyFan Of MIUI RussiaGamer Mi BunnySummer Mi BunnyI Love Mi BunnyMiPopAlpaca Mi Bunny MIUI ReviewMIUI Android 4.4 KitKatStar Of TechnologyIndia Independence DayMIUI Global Forum 2014Technology GuruDie-hard MIUI FanMIUI FollowerMost Active MIUIerAndroid ElfMi Story TellerPioneer of MIUI English Forum Most Popular Forum UserTheme TalentJuly 19 MyanmarMi Lover MedalYouth PledgeRingtone Star Mi Bunny Game Master MIUI KingOTA FeedbackHumor MasterApp TalentAndroid GuruInbox ZeroApp TalentMi TalentApp StarUpdates LoverMIUI Twitter FollowerDebate MasterRedmi Quiz MasterMIUI ExpertMr. DependableMIUI FB FollowerScroll Of WisdomMaster Of TechnologyMIUI G+ FollowerWallpaper ExpertMIUI Medals CollectorForum Contest Lover

15:42, Dec-31-2014 | From PC
|
Thanks for sharing!

Platinum Member

Credits
Device
Mi 3
MIUI Version
V8.2.10.0.MCFMIDL
Online time
220 Hours
Send PM

Mi BandMi WiFi RouterMagic CubeXiaomi 7th AnniversaryAwesome!I Love MIUIMIUI 2015Fantastic!FlashholicMIUI 6Mi 3Mi NoteRedmi 1SMi Note ProMi PadXiaomi Mi 4Mi TVRedmi NoteRedmi 2Diwali MIUI 100 Million Users300K Forum MembersThanksgiving DayHappy Valentine's DayFan Of MIUI IndiaMIUI Fan from IndiaFan Of  MIUI Azerbaijan500K Forum MembersMIUI Fan From BrazilFan Of MIUI BangladeshHilal Ramadan 600K Forum MembersMIUI Fan from Malaysia700K Forum Members1 Million Forum MembersMIUI 5th AnniversaryXiaomi 5th AnniversaryGamer Mi BunnyAlpaca Mi Bunny Summer Mi BunnyI Love Mi BunnyMIUI ReviewOTA FeedbackRingtone Star Debate MasterAndroid GuruMi TalentMIUI FB FollowerForum Contest LoverMIUI Global Forum 2014Die-hard MIUI FanScroll Of Wisdom

14:58, Jan-09-2015 | Via mobile
|
hi i rooted my device but now wgile unrooting i forgot to off permission

Platinum Member

Credits
Device
Mi 3
MIUI Version
V8.2.10.0.MCFMIDL
Online time
220 Hours
Send PM

Mi BandMi WiFi RouterMagic CubeXiaomi 7th AnniversaryAwesome!I Love MIUIMIUI 2015Fantastic!FlashholicMIUI 6Mi 3Mi NoteRedmi 1SMi Note ProMi PadXiaomi Mi 4Mi TVRedmi NoteRedmi 2Diwali MIUI 100 Million Users300K Forum MembersThanksgiving DayHappy Valentine's DayFan Of MIUI IndiaMIUI Fan from IndiaFan Of  MIUI Azerbaijan500K Forum MembersMIUI Fan From BrazilFan Of MIUI BangladeshHilal Ramadan 600K Forum MembersMIUI Fan from Malaysia700K Forum Members1 Million Forum MembersMIUI 5th AnniversaryXiaomi 5th AnniversaryGamer Mi BunnyAlpaca Mi Bunny Summer Mi BunnyI Love Mi BunnyMIUI ReviewOTA FeedbackRingtone Star Debate MasterAndroid GuruMi TalentMIUI FB FollowerForum Contest LoverMIUI Global Forum 2014Die-hard MIUI FanScroll Of Wisdom

14:58, Jan-09-2015 | Via mobile
|
hi i rooted my device but now wgile unrooting i forgot to off permission

Credits Management

Quick Reply Top Return to the list