El Psy Congroo!

Credits
Device
Mi 5
MIUI Version
Online time
676 Hours
Send PM

Mi BoxMi KeyMi BandXiaomi 6 LaunchMi In-Ear HeadphonesMi  BunnyFantastic!Awesome!FlashholicMIUI 2015MIUI 7I Love MIUIMIUI 8MIUI 6MIUI Devices Contest4 Million Forum MembersMi 3Mi NoteMIUI Fan from Malaysia2014 ChristmasThanksgiving DayMIUI Fan From IndonesiaDiwali Fan MIUI PhilippinesMIUI Fan From Singapore1st Anniversary300K Forum MembersMIUI Fan From PhilippinesHappy Singles' DayMIUI 4th AnniversaryMIUI Lucky FridayMIUI Fan from TurkeyMIUI World TourMIUI 6th AnniversaryRooster Year of 20173500K Forum MembersSuper MondayMIUI 2017MIUI 91900K Forum Members1 Million Forum MembersMIUI 300 WeeksHappy Valentine's DayMIUI 100 Million UsersMerry ChristmasAlpaca Mi Bunny I Love Mi BunnyGamer Mi BunnyMIUI ReviewTechnology GuruMIUI FollowerMost Active MIUIerMIUI Android 4.4 KitKatForum Contest LoverMIUI Global Forum 2014Mi Lover MedalStar Of IconsDie-hard MIUI FanYouth PledgeHumor MasterScroll Of WisdomAndroid GuruInbox ZeroUpdates LoverMIUI FB Follower

[Tips & Tutorials] What the TECH?!!! #1 - Android File Permissions (and why should you care?)

[ Promote]
3064 25 |
15:02, Nov-26-2014 | From PC
|
|
Go to reply no.
This post was edited by iakwbos at 15:15, Nov-26-2014

Hi Guys! I've decided to do a series of threads discussing the techs behind our beloved Android Phones, so without further ado, this is WHAT THE TECH?!! Issue NO. 1

What the TECH template.jpg

Have you encountered some of these *gibberish*?
"set your permissions to chmod 755?"
"check if the file is executable?"
"set your permissions to rw-r-r?"

So what the TECH are these?

The Android Ecosystem is just Awesome. We all agree that countless forums like this one exist because we all want customization. MIUI was born 4 years ago because of that same mindset: User customization. We want more. That's why there's a plethora of Custom ROMs and App Ports and Xposed modules out there because of the openness of the Android Platform.

This is only possible because Android is using the open-source LINUX underneath. And still underneath it, is the grand-daddy of it all, UNIX.

LINUX? UNIX? What the TECH are you talking about?

unix.JPG

So wait? what the TECH is UNIX? Unix is an Operating System (OS) developed in the early 1970-1980.
Albeit it's age, it is where some of our modern OS'es are based upon like Linux, and even Apple's OSX and iOS.

What the TECH has UNIX have to do with the Android File System?

Since basically, Android is based from linux, and linux from UNIX, UNIX-based OSes, such as Android, files and folders stored in the physical drive and the system has a set of permissions associated with it which dictates who is allowed to do what with the file.

Let's break it into sections, shall we?:

In any unix-based OS, there are 3 types of people who can take control of files and folders inside the system:
OGO
O stands for Owner, G for Group, and O for Others.

Basically, YOU are the OWNER, and the users who are members of the file group is the GROUP, and those who are neither the owner or member of the group are under the OTHERS.

With those people in mind, there are 4 basic things they can do to a file or folder:
RWX-
R stands for Read, basically letting you read the file or folder, but not edit it.
W is for Write, which lets you write and delete files and folders.
X is for Execute, which lets you run the file if it's an executable script.
- is for Not Allowed. Preventing Access to any file or folder

Now, what the TECH is this: rw-r--r--?

permission gib.JPG

WHY THE TECH DO I HAVE TO BE AWARE OF THESE?

We're basically talking about customization here, am i right? Whether you are Making or flashing Custom Roms, or changing System fonts or icons, or even activating Xposed Modules in your device, it AWLAYS involves changing permissions inside the system.

For example, for you to be able to run a System App to your device, you have to push your APK to /system/app/ with rw-r-r permission which enable the device to run the app. Setting incorrect permissions can mess up your phone, bootloop it, and worse BRICK it.

So, How The TECH can I make use of this?

There are two ways:

1. Most Root file managers let you do this, given that your device is ROOTED. (The easier way)

Screenshot_2014-11-26-14-39-24.png

For your convenience, Here are some of those I personally use:

Rom Toolbox (lite and Pro)
Root Explorer
Cabinet Beta (where I took the screenshot above)
ES File Explorer
Amaze FIle Manager
and so much more...

2. Using Terminal Emulator in your phone, or ADB from your PC (For the more Advanced Users)

Pre-requisite:
Your phone is ROOTED
Terminal Emulator (for your phone only)
Minimal ADB & Fastboot (Download Here) for your PC

Some useful ADB guides  HERE (Credits to @DoxMAzz)

Why the TECH should you know about it?

Without proper knowledge of these permissions when modifying your Android Device, you can endanger bootlooping your phone (like putting system libs in system with wrong permission), and worse brick your phone.

Now You know what the TECH is Android/UNIX permissions all about.

~~~~~~~

Shameless Advertisement:
CHECK OUT WHAT THE TECH?!! ISSUE #2 SOON! Until then, stay awesome guys!

Favorite1 Share

Rated by 5 people   Experience Reason  

fredie271 + 1 Fantastic!
Inkorporated + 5 Fantastic!
Shuddhahnik + 2 Great!
ussmrg + 4 Great!
Iyengar + 8 Excellent

Experience +20  View Rating Log

Supreme Member

It has Begun

Credits
Device
Mi 5
MIUI Version
Online time
1070 Hours
Send PM

Mi KeyMi BoxMi Power BankMi In-Ear HeadphonesMi WiFi RouterMi BandMIUI 6I Love MIUIAwesome!Fantastic!FlashholicMIUI 2015MIUI 7Mi TVXiaomi Mi 4Redmi NoteMi 3Redmi 1SRedmiMi PadRedmi 3Mi NoteRedmi Note 2Mi 4cRedmi 2Mi 4i2014 ChristmasFan Of MIUI BangladeshFan Of  MIUI AzerbaijanThanksgiving DayHappy Valentine's DayDiwali MIUI 4th AnniversaryHappy DiwaliMIUI 100 Million Users300K Forum MembersHappy Singles' DayMalaysia Anniversary900K Forum MembersFan of MIUI Myanmar1 Million Forum MembersSingapore Birthday800K Forum Members700K Forum MembersXiaomi 5th Anniversary600K Forum MembersMIUI 5th Anniversary500K Forum MembersMIUI Fan from IndiaFan Of MIUI IndiaFan Of MIUI Ex-Yu MIUI Fan From IndonesiaMIUI Fan From Brazil1st AnniversaryMIUI V5 ReviewMIUI Fan from MalaysiaMIUI Fan From SingaporeMIUI 50 Million UsersHilal Ramadan MIUI Fan from TurkeyMIUI Fan From PhilippinesI Love Mi BunnyAlpaca Mi Bunny Summer Mi BunnyGamer Mi BunnyMost Active MIUIerMIUI Medals CollectorMi Bunny Game Master MIUI FollowerMIUI Android 4.4 KitKatMIUI Photography GuruAndroid GuruStar Of IconsMaster Of TechnologyDie-hard MIUI FanOTA FeedbackRingtone MasterRingtone Star Super ModeratorPioneer of MIUI English Forum MIUI Ice Bucket ChallengeForum Contest LoverMIUI G+ FollowerMIUI Twitter FollowerMIUI FB FollowerAndroid ElfMi TalentMIUI Global Forum 2014Mi Lover MedalScroll Of WisdomDebate MasterRingtone TalentUpdates LoverYouth PledgeRedmi Quiz MasterInbox ZeroHumor Master

15:14, Nov-26-2014 | From PC
|
techies love this

Comment

iakwbos haha, I bet they do!  15:15, Nov-26-2014
TRUE WARRIOR WILL NEVER GIVE UP!

Credits
Device
Mi 4i
MIUI Version
Online time
2863 Hours
Send PM

Mi BandMi HeadphonesMi VRMijia Story TellerMi HomeMi In-Ear HeadphonesMi BoxMi WiFi RouterMi Band 2Xiaomi 7th AnniversaryMIUI Devices ContestMIUI 2015MIUI 7FlashholicMIUI 6I Love MIUIAwesome!Fantastic!MIUI 2016Mi 1RedmiMi Pad4 Million Forum MembersMi 3Xiaomi Mi 4Mi 4i500K Forum MembersThanksgiving DayFan Of  MIUI AzerbaijanHappy Singles' DayAtaturk MourningMIUI 100 Million Users90000 Forum MembersFan Of MIUI IndiaMIUI Fan From IndonesiaFan Of MIUI Ex-Yu MIUI 50 Million UsersDiwali MIUI 4th AnniversaryMIUI 30 Million UsersMIUI English Forum 20131st AnniversaryMIUI Fan From PhilippinesXiaomi 5th AnniversaryMIUI 20 Million Users100k Forum MembersMIUI 3rd Anniversary300K Forum Members2014 Christmas3500K Forum MembersSuper MondayHappy DiwaliSuper SaturdaySuper Sunday1 Million Forum MembersSuper ThursdayMIUI Lucky FridayFan Of MIUI Bangladesh2100K Forum MembersI Love 2016MIUI Fan From Brazil1 Million Forum App Installs800K Forum MembersMIUI Fan From SingaporeMIUI Forum AppRingolicious Medal700K Forum MembersMIUI 9Happy Valentine's DayMIUI 5th Anniversary600K Forum MembersMIUI 7th AnniversaryI Love Mi BunnySummer Mi BunnyAlpaca Mi Bunny Gamer Mi BunnyMIUI Beta Team VIPMIUI ReviewMIUI Beta TeamStar Of IconsMIUI ExpertMIUI Ice Bucket ChallengeAndroid GuruMIUI Android 4.4 KitKatMIUI Community VIPMi Bunny Game Master MIUI Medals CollectorStar Bug FinderStar Of  MIUI Beta TeamMi TalentForum Contest LoverMIUI Translation ContributorYouth PledgeDebate MasterMIUI Global Forum 2014Most Active MIUIerMIUI FB FollowerMIUI Twitter FollowerMIUI G+ FollowerAndroid ElfUpdates LoverOTA FeedbackSenior Beta TesterBest ArticleStar Of TechnologyMIUI KingMi Story TellerMr. DependableMi Lover MedalDie-hard MIUI FanSuper ModeratorMIUI FollowerPioneer of MIUI English Forum

15:27, Nov-26-2014 | From PC
|
Nice one... Let me know if you want to work along with me if you're interested to write articles.

Comment

iakwbos yeah, sure! definitely! i'd like that.  15:32, Nov-26-2014
Retired

MIUI Translation Team

Credits
Device
Mi MIX
MIUI Version
Online time
145 Hours
Send PM

Mi WiFi RouterMIUI 6FlashholicRedmi 1SMi 3Fan Of MIUI India300K Forum MembersMIUI Beta TeamOTA FeedbackMIUI FollowerAndroid GuruPioneer of MIUI English Forum MIUI Global Forum 2014Die-hard MIUI Fan

16:34, Nov-26-2014 | Via mobile
|
can't wait for the next issue :)

Comment

iakwbos thanks for the excitement bro!  16:37, Nov-26-2014

Elite Member

Work for tomorrow

Credits
Device
Mi A1
MIUI Version
Online time
643 Hours
Send PM

Magic CubeMi Selfie StickMi HeadphonesMi BandMi KeyMijia Story TellerMi Power BankMi Band 2Mijia Qi CycleMi In-Ear HeadphonesMi HomeMi Power Bank 10000MAH Xiaomi 6 LaunchMi WiFi RouterUnlock MedalMi BoxMi VRXiaomi 7th AnniversaryMIUI 2016MIUI 7MarshmallowFantastic!I Love MIUIFlashholicMIUI 2015MIUI 6MIUI 8Awesome!MIUI Devices ContestMi TVMi PadRedmi 2Redmi Note 2Xiaomi Mi 4Mi 4cMi 3RedmiRedmi 1SMi 4iFan Of MIUI IndiaMIUI Fan From Philippines300K Forum MembersMerry ChristmasMIUI Fan From Singapore900K Forum MembersHappy Diwali800K Forum MembersDiwali MIUI 5th Anniversary600K Forum Members2014 ChristmasFan Of MIUI BangladeshFan Of  MIUI AzerbaijanMIUI Fan from Turkey1st AnniversaryThanksgiving DayAtaturk MourningHappy Valentine's DayMIUI 100 Million UsersHappy Singles' DayMIUI Fan from MalaysiaMIUI Fan From IndonesiaMIUI Fan From BrazilXiaomi 5th AnniversaryHappy New Year500K Forum Members700K Forum MembersMIUI 6th AnniversarySingapore BirthdaySuper FridaySurge S1Rocket to FutureMIUI 2017MIUI Lucky Friday1 Million Forum App InstallsMIUI Monthly TalkRooster Year of 20171 Million Forum MembersMIUI Happy MedalSuper Sunday90000 Forum MembersMIUI Font LoverMIUI 9MIUI 7th AnniversaryPuzzle MasterFan Of MIUI UkraineSuper ThursdaySuper WednesdayMIUI 4th Anniversary3500K Forum MembersFan Of MIUI Russia3 Million Forum App InstallsMIUI 50 Million UsersHilal Ramadan 1800K Forum Members1900K Forum Members1700K Forum MembersMid-Autumn FestivalOlympics MedalMIUI Fan From NepalMIUI 300 WeeksMIUI Forum App1500K Forum MembersMIUI World TourPokemon Master MedalMIUI Fan from IndiaI Love 2016Fan Of MIUI Italy2100K Forum MembersFan Of MIUI PolandAlpaca Mi Bunny MiPopSummer Mi BunnyI Love Mi BunnyGamer Mi BunnyMIUI ReviewMIUI Device TeamMIUI Beta TeamMIUI FollowerMost Active MIUIerAndroid GuruPioneer of MIUI English Forum Humor MasterMIUI Medals CollectorStar Of IconsMi TalentStar Of TechnologyApp TalentMi Lover MedalTechnology GuruMi Bunny Game Master Ringtone Star App TalentMIUI ExpertMost Popular Forum UserTheme TalentMIUI KingMi Story TellerMaster Of TechnologyMIUI G+ FollowerScroll Of WisdomInbox ZeroMIUI Android 4.4 KitKatYouth PledgeUpdates LoverOTA FeedbackDie-hard MIUI FanForum Contest LoverMIUI Twitter FollowerAndroid ElfMIUI FB FollowerMIUI Global Forum 2014Debate Master

19:47, Nov-26-2014 | From PC
|
great work bro ... very informatic
Love MiUi

Elite Member

Credits
Device
Mi 3
MIUI Version
Online time
320 Hours
Send PM

Mi KeyMi BandMi In-Ear HeadphonesMi BoxFantastic!MIUI 2016Awesome!MIUI 2015MIUI 6I Love MIUIFlashholicMi 3Mi TVRedmiRedmi 1SRedmi NoteFan Of MIUI IndiaThanksgiving DayMIUI Fan From Indonesia1st AnniversaryMIUI Fan From SingaporeMIUI Fan From PhilippinesMIUI Fan from IndiaMIUI 4th AnniversaryDiwali MIUI 50 Million UsersMIUI Fan from MalaysiaAtaturk MourningHappy DiwaliFan Of MIUI Ex-Yu Happy Singles' DayFan Of  MIUI Azerbaijan2014 ChristmasFan Of MIUI Bangladesh300K Forum MembersHappy Valentine's DayMIUI Fan from TurkeyGamer Mi BunnyMiPopI Love Mi BunnySummer Mi BunnyAlpaca Mi Bunny MIUI News TeamInbox ZeroYouth PledgeMi Bunny Game Master Star MIUI News Team MemberPioneer of MIUI English Forum Android ElfAndroid GuruUpdates LoverStar Of IconsMIUI FB FollowerForum Contest LoverHumor MasterMIUI FollowerRedmi Quiz MasterMIUI Android 4.4 KitKatOTA FeedbackDie-hard MIUI FanMIUI Global Forum 2014

03:29, Dec-02-2014 | From PC
|
Great writing!..and also i love the presentation style...you have really worked hard on it!...Thanks!

Comment

iakwbos Thanks for the support mate!  07:56, Dec-02-2014

Diamond Member

Credits
Device
Mi 3
MIUI Version
Online time
89 Hours
Send PM

Mi KeyMi BoxI Love MIUIMIUI 2015Awesome!MIUI 8MIUI 6Mi TVFan Of MIUI India300K Forum MembersHappy DiwaliHappy Singles' DayDiwali MIUI 4th AnniversaryThanksgiving DayI Love Mi BunnyMIUI Beta TeamDie-hard MIUI FanMi TalentAndroid GuruMost Active MIUIer

22:54, Dec-02-2014 | From PC
|
Love this series want more every week

Comment

iakwbos Thanks for the support!  23:51, Dec-02-2014
“The world wasn't made for us, we were made for the world.”

Elite Member

Credits
Device
Mi 4
MIUI Version
Online time
179 Hours
Send PM

Mi MIXMi VRXiaomi 6 LaunchMijia Electric ScooterMi BandMi Power StripMijia VR Play 2Mi Water PurifierMagic CubeMi WiFiMi Power Bank 10000MAH Mi Yi CameraMi Band 2Mi KeyMi Power BankMi In-Ear HeadphonesYi Action CameraMijia Mi Bunny RobotMi Selfie StickMi VR HeadsetMi WiFi RouterMi ScaleMijia Smart PTZ CameraMijia Walkie TalkieMi HomeUnlock MedalMi TV 70Mi BoxMi HeadphonesYeelight Bedside LampMijia Qi CycleMi  BunnyMi WiFi Router MiniMijia Story TellerMi Air PurifierMi Bluetooth SpeakerXiaomi 7th AnniversaryMarshmallowI Love MIUIMIUI 7MIUI 2015Awesome!MIUI 2016Fantastic!MIUI 6MIUI 8FlashholicMIUI Devices ContestXiaomi Mi 4Mi 4cMi PadRedmi 1SRedmi Note 24 Million Forum MembersRedmi 2Redmi NoteMi TVMi 4iUEFA EURO MedalMIUI 4th AnniversaryMIUI Fan From Singapore1300K Forum Members5 Million Forum PostsMIUI Lucky FridayFan Of MIUI GreeceFan Of MIUI PolandMIUI Fan From NepalPokemon Master Medal2014 ChristmasMIUI Fan From Brazil300K Forum MembersMIUI Fan from IndiaMIUI Fan From IndonesiaMIUI Fan From VietnamMIUI 6th AnniversaryFan Of  MIUI AzerbaijanMIUI Fan from Malaysia500K Forum Members900K Forum MembersMIUI 100 Million Users600K Forum MembersHilal Ramadan 800K Forum MembersMIUI 5th Anniversary700K Forum MembersThanksgiving DayDiwali 1 Million Forum MembersFan of MIUI MyanmarMIUI Fan from TurkeyMIUI Fan From PhilippinesHappy New YearMerry ChristmasHappy Valentine's DayFan Of MIUI IndiaXiaomi 6th AnniversaryOlympics Medal90000 Forum MembersXiaomi 5th AnniversaryRooster Year of 2017MIUI Happy MedalMIUI Monthly TalkMIUI 20171 Million Forum App InstallsI Love 20162100K Forum Members10 Million Forum PostsFan Of MIUI France5 Million Forum App InstallsMIUI Font Lover3 Million Forum App InstallsSuper Sunday3500K Forum MembersSuper TuesdaySurge S1Women's Day MedalSuper MondayFan Of MIUI BulgariaMIUI Drawing TalentFan Of MIUI AustraliaFan Of MIUI UkraineMalaysia AnniversarySuper WednesdayMIUI Philippines Fan MeetupPuzzle MasterSuper ThursdayFan Of MIUI RussiaHappy DiwaliMIUI World TourFan Of MIUI Spain1400K Forum Members1500K Forum MembersMIUI 300 WeeksRocket to FutureMi Live MedalMid-Autumn FestivalMIUI Forum AppMIUI Weekly PollFan Of MIUI Italy3 Million Forum MembersMIUI Marathon MedalSuper SaturdayMIUI 7th AnniversaryHappy Holi MedalMIUI 9Camera Filter Guru MedalFan Of MIUI BangladeshMIUI PAlpaca Mi Bunny Summer Mi BunnyMiPopGamer Mi BunnyI Love Mi BunnyMIUI ReviewForum Contest LoverAndroid ElfMIUI Halloween 2017MIUI FollowerMIUI SuperstarMIUI Global Forum 2014Die-hard MIUI FanIndia Independence DayTheme TalentMost Active MIUIerPioneer of MIUI English Forum Most Popular Forum UserMi Bunny Game Master Redmi Quiz MasterMi Lover MedalMIUI Twitter FollowerMIUI FB FollowerMIUI ExpertWallpaper ExpertMIUI KingMr. DependableMi Story TellerStar Of TechnologyJuly 19 MyanmarMIUI Android 4.4 KitKatApp StarTechnology GuruApp TalentApp TalentUpdates LoverMaster Of TechnologyMIUI G+ FollowerMIUI Medals CollectorScroll Of WisdomOTA FeedbackYouth PledgeInbox ZeroAndroid GuruMi TalentHumor MasterDebate MasterRingtone Star

15:42, Dec-31-2014 | From PC
|
Thanks for sharing!

Platinum Member

Credits
Device
Mi 3
MIUI Version
V8.2.10.0.MCFMIDL
Online time
220 Hours
Send PM

Mi BandMi WiFi RouterMagic CubeXiaomi 7th AnniversaryAwesome!I Love MIUIMIUI 2015Fantastic!FlashholicMIUI 6Mi 3Mi NoteRedmi 1SMi Note ProMi PadXiaomi Mi 4Mi TVRedmi NoteRedmi 2Diwali MIUI 100 Million Users300K Forum MembersThanksgiving DayHappy Valentine's DayFan Of MIUI IndiaMIUI Fan from IndiaFan Of  MIUI Azerbaijan500K Forum MembersMIUI Fan From BrazilFan Of MIUI BangladeshHilal Ramadan 600K Forum MembersMIUI Fan from Malaysia700K Forum Members1 Million Forum MembersMIUI 5th AnniversaryXiaomi 5th AnniversaryGamer Mi BunnyAlpaca Mi Bunny Summer Mi BunnyI Love Mi BunnyMIUI ReviewOTA FeedbackRingtone Star Debate MasterAndroid GuruMi TalentMIUI FB FollowerForum Contest LoverMIUI Global Forum 2014Die-hard MIUI FanScroll Of Wisdom

14:58, Jan-09-2015 | Via mobile
|
hi i rooted my device but now wgile unrooting i forgot to off permission

Platinum Member

Credits
Device
Mi 3
MIUI Version
V8.2.10.0.MCFMIDL
Online time
220 Hours
Send PM

Mi BandMi WiFi RouterMagic CubeXiaomi 7th AnniversaryAwesome!I Love MIUIMIUI 2015Fantastic!FlashholicMIUI 6Mi 3Mi NoteRedmi 1SMi Note ProMi PadXiaomi Mi 4Mi TVRedmi NoteRedmi 2Diwali MIUI 100 Million Users300K Forum MembersThanksgiving DayHappy Valentine's DayFan Of MIUI IndiaMIUI Fan from IndiaFan Of  MIUI Azerbaijan500K Forum MembersMIUI Fan From BrazilFan Of MIUI BangladeshHilal Ramadan 600K Forum MembersMIUI Fan from Malaysia700K Forum Members1 Million Forum MembersMIUI 5th AnniversaryXiaomi 5th AnniversaryGamer Mi BunnyAlpaca Mi Bunny Summer Mi BunnyI Love Mi BunnyMIUI ReviewOTA FeedbackRingtone Star Debate MasterAndroid GuruMi TalentMIUI FB FollowerForum Contest LoverMIUI Global Forum 2014Die-hard MIUI FanScroll Of Wisdom

14:58, Jan-09-2015 | Via mobile
|
hi i rooted my device but now wgile unrooting i forgot to off permission

Credits Management

Quick Reply Top Return to the list