Credits
Device
Redmi Note 3
MIUI Version
V8.0.3.0.MAGMIDI
Online time
2224 Hours
Send PM

Mi Bluetooth SpeakerYeelight Bedside LampMi  BunnyMi HomeMi HeadphonesMi Power Bank 10000MAH Mi Band 2Mi WiFi RouterMi BandMi WiFi Router MiniMi Power BankMi In-Ear HeadphonesMi KeyMi BoxMi Portable WiFiMijia Story TellerMi T-ShirtMagic CubeMIUI 2016MIUI 7Fantastic!I Love MIUIMIUI 6Awesome!MIUI 8MIUI 2015Redmi NoteMi NoteMi TVMi PadRedmi 2Mi Note ProXiaomi Mi 4700K Forum MembersHappy Singles' DaySurge S1800K Forum MembersMalaysia Anniversary5 Million Forum PostsMIUI Fan from MalaysiaXiaomi 5th Anniversary3 Million Forum MembersSuper Wednesday1300K Forum Members600K Forum MembersFan Of MIUI RussiaMIUI 5th AnniversaryXiaomi 6th Anniversary10 Million Forum PostsSuper ThursdayThanksgiving DayWomen's Day MedalUEFA EURO MedalFan Of MIUI India1800K Forum Members1400K Forum Members1500K Forum MembersMIUI 2017MIUI Forum AppRooster Year of 20171 Million Forum MembersRocket to FutureI Love 2016500K Forum MembersMIUI Weekly PollMIUI World Tour1700K Forum MembersMid-Autumn FestivalSuper MondayHappy Valentine's DaySuper TuesdayMerry Christmas900K Forum MembersPokemon Master MedalMIUI Lucky FridayMIUI 300 WeeksMi Live MedalMIUI Fan From NepalHappy New YearMIUI 6th AnniversaryHilal Ramadan Alpaca Mi Bunny Summer Mi BunnyMiPopGamer Mi BunnyI Love Mi BunnyMIUI Device TeamRedmi Note 3 ExplorerMIUI Ice Bucket ChallengeMi TalentMi Bunny Game Master Most Active MIUIerAndroid GuruSuper ModeratorUpdates LoverRingtone Star Inbox ZeroRedmi Quiz MasterMi Lover MedalMIUI Medals CollectorWallpaper ExpertScroll Of WisdomTechnology GuruWallpaper StarApp StarDie-hard MIUI FanStar Of IconsMIUI Android 4.4 KitKatMi Story TellerAndroid ElfDebate MasterHumor MasterForum Contest LoverMIUI Twitter FollowerMIUI G+ FollowerMIUI Photography GuruMIUI Device ExpertPioneer of MIUI English Forum OTA FeedbackMIUI FollowerMr. DependableStar Of MIUI Device TeamMIUI FB Follower

[Reviews] [MIUI with Marcus] V2.0: Mi Remote - Turn Your Phone into a Multi-purpose Remote

[ Promote]
15411 649 |
22:53, Mar-20-2017
| |
|
Go to reply no.
MWM_Banner original.png

Hey MIUIers!

With the inspiration from our MIUI Forum administrator, Nana, I have decided to make my very own series named "MIUI With Marcus". The MWM series is written with a simple purpose - to let MIUI users know more about MIUI features. I will use my own knowledge and experiences to explain how to use the mentioned MIUI features. Feel free to correct me if I made any mistakes in explaining them.

It's time for another MWM series. For second series, I will cover on one of the forgotten MIUI System apps --- Mi Remote!

p/s: This review is done on Redmi Note 3 SD version, with MIUI 8 China Developer Ver 7.3.9

Quick Intro

Mi Remote is used as a virtual remote control for most home appliances which have Infrared Remote Control. With the type of home appliances and brands, we can browse and match the frequency of the remote control for our appliances. The best thing about Mi Remote is that we can add as many remote control as we want in app! This app will be available by default on Xiaomi phones which support Infrared Blaster (Output).

How to use Mi Remote

Note: Internet connection is required to get more variety of remote, else you only get a few brands in appliance types.

1) We can locate the Mi Remote app in Tools Folder.
Tool.png

2) Start the app and we will see interface similar to this (Mine already added some remote controls). Tap on the top left "+" icon.
home.png

3) Select the type and brand of our home appliances from the selection menu.
Type and Brand.gif

4) After we selected the brand of your appliance, aim our phone toward the appliance and press the button key on the Mi Remote. If we are lucky, the appliance will respond to the first button. Press "Yes" to save the source as our remote device.

Tips: By holding press the button, the app will continuously switch to the next source. Keep holding on the button until you notice that your appliance respond to your button, then stop pressing it. That source will be the matched remote device for your appliance!
test 1.png

5) After select "Yes", we will go into the details of the remote. By enabling "Share" setting, we could let other Xiaomi Devices which support Mi Remote App to search and use the paired device. "Add shortcut" will create a shortcut app on our home page. After pairing it, we will enter the control interface of the particular remote.
add 1.png

shortcut.png

6) Tap on back at top left, and you will go back to the home page, with the new remote you saved just now.

FAQ for Mi Remote App

I'm not sure about Global ROM, but the help FAQ for China Dev ROM are all in Chinese. So I will translate them to English and hopefully will be helpful to users here.

Q: Is Mi Remote App can control almost every appliances?
A: I will say it can control most of the appliances which use Infrared Remote Control, such as television, air conditional, and projectors. If the appliance is controlled by wireless or bluetooth remote control, then it won't be supported by Mi Remote App.

Q: Can I download and use Mi Remote App on my phone?
A: For every smartphones which support IR Blaster, will be able to use Mi Remote App. Usually Xiaomi phones which has IR Blaster, will have Mi Remote app pre-installed. Here is the list of Xiaomi Phones which equipped with IR Blaster:

1) Xiaomi Mi Note 2
2) Xiaomi Mi 5s Plus
3) Xiaomi Mi 5/Pro
4) Xiaomi Mi Max/Prime
5) Xiaomi Mi 4S
6) Xiaomi Mi 4c
7) Xiaomi Mi 4
8) Redmi Pro
9) Redmi Note 4X
10) Redmi Note 4 (MTK & SD)
11) Redmi Note 3 (MTK & SD)
12) Redmi Note 2
13) Redmi 4/Prime
14) Redmi 4A
15) Redmi 3S/Prime/3X
16) Redmi 3/Prime

Note: Redmi Note 4X is actually the same as Redmi Note 4 SD version, but due to China market and International market, they have different naming. To avoid confusion, I add them both.

Q: Why I cannot control my television with Mi Remote App?
A: First, check if your television is using infrared remote. If it is not, then you can't use the app on your television. If yes, then please select the correct brand of your television. While testing each sources, you can try tap several times on each source to confirm if it works. Please make sure you aim your phone directly toward your television. Some television has slow response, so give it some time while testing on the buttons.

Q: Does Mi Remote App needs constant Internet connection to be used?
A: Internet connection only required when we want to pair a new device. After the device is saved, we can use this app in offline mode.

Q: Do I need to sign in Mi Account to use Mi Remote App?
A: We do not need to sign in Mi Account to use Mi Remote App, it is totally hassle free.

Q: Why my phone keep searching for Wi-Fi device?
A: Most probably that your phone does not have IR Blaster. Yet Mi Remote App support Wi-Fi control over Mi Box, Mi TV and other Android Smart Box or Smart TV.

Q: Why I can't use it on Mi TV 3?
A: Mi TV 3 does not have infrared remote control. But you can connect the same WiFi connection as Mi TV 3, and when you switch on Mi TV 3, Mi Remote App will automatically detect and connect to Mi TV 3.

Q: Can we use Mi Remote App to control lamp?
A: Most of the lamp does not have Infrared Remote Control, and Mi Remote App does not support this appliance yet.

Verdict

Mi Remote App brings a lot of convenience to our life if we have a lot of appliances which utilized IR Remote Control. However, this app could mean nothing and useless to those who do not have any IR controlled households. So it depends on the need of users to judge if this app is useful. The good thing is this app is not a system app, hence we can delete it if we do not use Mi Remote app.

Feel free to comment or give suggestion regarding to Mi Remote App

Related Threads:
[MIUI Device Classroom] Lesson 17: The IR Blaster

Previous Series:
[MIUI with Marcus] V1.0: Introducing the MIUI Native Screen Recorder!
Favorite30 Share

Rated by 57 people   Experience Prestige Reason  

Aedor + 1 Awesome!
sHiErShAo + 5 Great!
SVPDP + 1 Great!
paulpgk + 1 Thanks!
Banzay80 + 1 Great!
nikmpamias + 1 Great!
SpideyMan + 10 + 3 Fantastic!
benya + 1 Thanks!
jay_zainal + 1 Great!
so-ra + 10 + 3 Awesome!
VAZ21093 + 1 <font><font>Большой!</fon
Anas.ShaIkh11 + 10 + 3 Awesome!
Findmenowzero + 4 Great!
ansgarmi + 1 Sweet!
ariloc + 1 Great!
Rylai123 + 10 + 1 Awesome!
lucard + 1 Thanks!
Smietana + 4 Fantastic!
buddhisttt + 1 Thanks!
zorin_oskol@mai + 1 Thanks!
Presnomeno + 2 Awesome!
slimozis + 1 Thanks!
sanjeeb.shaw + 1 Great!
106007217 + 1 Thanks!
CLAYTON_WWC + 10 + 3 Fantastic!
crazy_cactus + 2 Thanks!
danberin + 1 Great!

Experience +251  Prestige +54  View Rating Log

Click [Reply] Below To Notify Me

MIUI News Team

Credits
Device
Redmi 1S
MIUI Version
Online time
361 Hours
Send PM

Mi Yi CameraMi Selfie StickMi Power Bank 10000MAH Mijia Story TellerUnlock MedalMi TV 70Mi HomeMi Bluetooth Canon SpeakerMi Band 2Mi Power StripMi Plastic In-ear PhonesMIUI Devices ContestMIUI 2016MIUI 7Fantastic!Awesome!MIUI 8MarshmallowI Love MIUIMIUI Forum AppOlympics MedalMIUI 300 WeeksMi Live MedalMIUI 6th AnniversaryMIUI Fan From Nepal1500K Forum Members1700K Forum Members1800K Forum MembersI Love 2016Fan Of MIUI IndiaMIUI Fan from India2100K Forum Members1 Million Forum App InstallsMIUI World TourFan Of MIUI PolandDiwali Fan Of MIUI BangladeshSuper Friday3 Million Forum MembersMid-Autumn FestivalMIUI Happy MedalSuper TuesdaySuper ThursdayMIUI Lucky FridayRooster Year of 2017MIUI 2017Happy Valentine's DaySuper Wednesday500K Forum MembersWomen's Day Medal10 Million Forum PostsPuzzle MasterSurge S1Super MondayMIUI News TeamMi Story TellerMi Lover MedalRingtone Star Star MIUI News Team MemberDie-hard MIUI FanAndroid ElfMIUI Ice Bucket ChallengeUpdates LoverScroll Of WisdomStar Of TechnologyTechnology GuruMIUI Twitter FollowerMIUI FB FollowerMi TalentForum Contest LoverInbox ZeroApp TalentMIUI FollowerAndroid GuruYouth Pledge

11:12, Mar-21-2017
|
Thanks for sharing,, wonderful app

MIUI Honorary Moderator

Credits
Device
Redmi Note 4
MIUI Version
Online time
808 Hours
Send PM

Unlock MedalMi HomeMi WiFi Router MiniMi Band 2Mi Power Bank 10000MAH Mi  BunnyMi Bluetooth Canon SpeakerMijia Story TellerMi Bluetooth SpeakerMi BandFlashholicI Love MIUIFantastic!Awesome!MIUI 2015MIUI Devices ContestMIUI 7MIUI 2016MIUI 8MarshmallowMi 5Mi 4cMi TVMi Max Mi 3Redmi 3Redmi 2Redmi Note 2MIUI 20171300K Forum MembersSuper ThursdayUEFA EURO MedalMIUI Fan from Malaysia3 Million Forum MembersThanksgiving Day1 Million Forum App InstallsMIUI Drawing TalentXiaomi 6th Anniversary1 Million Forum MembersMIUI Fan From PhilippinesSuper FridayFan of MIUI MyanmarSurge S1Super MondayMIUI Lucky FridayMIUI Fan from IndiaPokemon Master MedalMerry Christmas5 Million Forum PostsHappy DiwaliI Love 2016Rooster Year of 2017Fan Of MIUI Bangladesh1800K Forum MembersMIUI Fan From Indonesia1900K Forum MembersMIUI Weekly PollFan Of MIUI Poland2100K Forum MembersMIUI World Tour1500K Forum MembersDiwali Mid-Autumn FestivalRocket to FutureFan Of MIUI IndiaMIUI Forum AppOlympics MedalMIUI 6th AnniversaryMIUI 300 WeeksAlpaca Mi Bunny MiPopSummer Mi BunnyI Love Mi BunnyGamer Mi BunnyApp TalentForum Contest LoverMi TalentApp StarMi Story TellerAndroid ElfMaster Of TechnologyMIUI FollowerRingtone TalentAndroid GuruInbox ZeroMIUI Honorary ModeratorDebate MasterUpdates LoverStar Of TechnologyStar Of IconsMIUI ExpertMIUI FB FollowerMIUI G+ FollowerYouth PledgeMIUI Twitter FollowerMIUI Android 4.4 KitKatDie-hard MIUI FanRingtone Star Mi Bunny Game Master Mi Lover MedalOTA FeedbackApp TalentMr. DependableTechnology Guru

11:04, Mar-21-2017
|

Reply Awards +5

awesome thanks for sharing

Gold Member

Credits
Device
Redmi Note 3
MIUI Version
V8.2.2.0.MCFMIDL
Online time
7 Hours
Send PM

MIUI 8Surge S1Puzzle MasterMIUI Happy MedalSuper FridayYouth Pledge

11:06, Mar-21-2017
|

Reply Awards +5

Good info

Elite Member

Proud To Be தமிழன் !

Credits
Device
Redmi Note 3
MIUI Version
Online time
408 Hours
Send PM

Magic CubeMi Band 2Mi HeadphonesUnlock MedalMi BandMi VR HeadsetMi Selfie StickYi Action CameraMi Power Bank 10000MAH Mi WiFiMijia Mi Bunny RobotMi HomeMi Bluetooth SpeakerMi WiFi Router MiniMi  BunnyMi Plastic In-ear PhonesYeelight Bedside LampAwesome!I Love MIUIMIUI 8Fantastic!MIUI 7MIUI 2016MarshmallowMIUI Devices ContestMi 4cMi TVRedmi Note 3Surge S1Olympics MedalUEFA EURO MedalSuper ThursdayMIUI 300 WeeksMid-Autumn FestivalPuzzle MasterSingapore Merlion MedalMIUI 6th Anniversary10 Million Forum PostsMIUI Fan from MalaysiaMIUI Fan from IndiaSuper Wednesday3 Million Forum MembersPokemon Master MedalMIUI Fan From VietnamWomen's Day MedalMIUI Weekly PollMIUI Forum App1400K Forum MembersMIUI Lucky FridaySuper Tuesday1300K Forum MembersMIUI Happy Medal5 Million Forum PostsFan Of MIUI ItalySuper MondayRocket to FutureHappy Valentine's DaySuper FridayMIUI World TourDiwali Fan Of MIUI IndiaFan Of MIUI RussiaMerry ChristmasHappy New YearRooster Year of 2017MIUI 2017I Love 20161700K Forum MembersGamer Mi BunnyScroll Of WisdomDebate MasterStar Of TechnologyMIUI Medals CollectorForum Contest LoverTechnology GuruAndroid ElfMaster Of TechnologyAndroid GuruMIUI Android 4.4 KitKatMIUI Ice Bucket ChallengeMIUI FollowerMi Story TellerYouth PledgeDie-hard MIUI FanMi TalentMIUI ExpertUpdates LoverMIUI FB FollowerMi Lover Medal

11:08, Mar-21-2017
|

Reply Awards +5

Its working perfectly, i dont have any suggestion, Thanks for share
Use Reply Button For Fast Response

Credits
Device
Redmi Note 2 Prime
MIUI Version
Online time
13 Hours
Send PM

Fantastic!Redmi Note 2Fan Of MIUI IndiaMIUI Lucky FridaySurge S1Rocket to FutureI Love Mi BunnyAndroid Elf

11:08, Mar-21-2017
|
I have been using it. It's a good app
Thanks

Diamond Member

Credits
Device
Mi 5
MIUI Version
V8.2.1.0.NAAMIEB
Online time
109 Hours
Send PM

Mi Selfie StickMi Yi CameraMijia Mi Bunny RobotUnlock MedalMi Band 2Magic CubeMi VR HeadsetMi HomeMIUI 8MIUI 2016MIUI Devices ContestI Love MIUIMarshmallowFantastic!Mi 5Thanksgiving DayMerry Christmas3 Million Forum App Installs3 Million Forum MembersI Love 2016Happy New YearMIUI Happy MedalSuper FridayMIUI 300 WeeksMIUI Lucky FridayMIUI Fan from Malaysia1700K Forum MembersMalaysia AnniversaryPokemon Master MedalMIUI Drawing TalentMIUI World TourSingapore Merlion MedalSuper TuesdayRocket to FutureSuper MondaySuper ThursdayRooster Year of 2017Puzzle MasterSurge S110 Million Forum PostsWomen's Day MedalSuper WednesdayMIUI 2017Happy Valentine's DayGamer Mi BunnyMiPopAlpaca Mi Bunny Android ElfUpdates LoverStar Of TechnologyDebate MasterYouth PledgeMi Lover MedalAndroid GuruMi Story TellerDie-hard MIUI FanScroll Of WisdomForum Contest LoverMIUI ExpertMaster Of TechnologyMIUI Ice Bucket ChallengeMIUI Medals CollectorInbox Zero

11:09, Mar-21-2017
|

Reply Awards +5

great,thanks for sharing

Dream. Explore. Shine. Roar.

Credits
Device
Redmi Note 3
MIUI Version
Online time
485 Hours
Send PM

Mi WiFiMi BandMi Bluetooth Canon SpeakerMijia Mi Bunny RobotMi Yi CameraMi Selfie StickMi Air PurifierMi HomeMi VR HeadsetMi Water PurifierMi  BunnyMi Power StripMijia Story TellerMi TV 70Mi Band 2Yi Action CameraMi Power Bank 10000MAH Unlock MedalMi Plastic In-ear PhonesMIUI 2016Awesome!MarshmallowI Love MIUIFlashholicFantastic!MIUI 8Redmi Note 3Mi Max Redmi Note 4Redmi ProMi 5Redmi 3SRocket to Future1500K Forum MembersMIUI 300 WeeksFan Of MIUI Bangladesh2100K Forum MembersHappy DiwaliMIUI Fan From IndonesiaFan Of MIUI Spain1900K Forum MembersMIUI World TourFan Of MIUI PolandFan Of MIUI ItalyDiwali Fan Of MIUI IndiaPokemon Master MedalMIUI Forum AppMIUI Weekly Poll1800K Forum MembersMIUI Fan From SingaporeMIUI Marathon MedalMIUI Lucky FridayHappy Valentine's DayWomen's Day MedalMIUI Fan from Malaysia3 Million Forum App InstallsMIUI Monthly TalkSuper WednesdayMIUI Fan from TurkeyFan Of MIUI BulgariaMIUI Fan from IndiaSingapore Merlion MedalSurge S1MIUI Fan From NepalSuper FridayPuzzle MasterSuper MondaySuper TuesdayRooster Year of 2017Fan Of MIUI FranceSuper ThursdayMerry ChristmasMIUI Happy MedalMi Live MedalI Love 201610 Million Forum PostsFan Of MIUI RussiaThanksgiving DayHappy New YearMIUI 20173 Million Forum Members1 Million Forum App InstallsMiPopGamer Mi BunnyI Love Mi BunnyAlpaca Mi Bunny Ringtone Star Die-hard MIUI FanAndroid GuruYouth PledgeMi Lover MedalDebate MasterMIUI Ice Bucket ChallengeUpdates LoverStar Of TechnologyMIUI FollowerMIUI Medals CollectorMi Story TellerApp StarMIUI KingHumor MasterApp TalentMIUI ExpertApp TalentTechnology GuruMIUI FB FollowerForum Contest LoverMIUI Twitter FollowerScroll Of WisdomAndroid ElfMi TalentInbox ZeroMaster Of Technology

|

Reply Awards +5

Thank you For sharing!

Gold Member

Credits
Device
Redmi Note 3
MIUI Version
V8.2.2.0.MCFMIDL
Online time
7 Hours
Send PM

MIUI 8Surge S1Puzzle MasterMIUI Happy MedalSuper FridayYouth Pledge

|
My mobile is a single remote to my DTH, TV and CD player, just because of this fantastic app.

Super moderator

因为小米,所以米粉

Credits
Device
Mi MIX
MIUI Version
Online time
4297 Hours
Send PM

Mi HomeMi Band 2Unlock MedalI Love MIUIMarshmallowMIUI 8MIUI 6Awesome!Fantastic!MIUI 7MIUI 2016MIUI 2015Super MondaySingapore Merlion MedalSuper WednesdayMIUI 50 Million UsersSuper ThursdaySurge S1Rocket to FutureSingapore BirthdayI Love 2016Rooster Year of 2017MIUI 2017MIUI Fan from MalaysiaHappy New YearMIUI 5th AnniversaryXiaomi 5th AnniversaryMerry Christmas1 Million Forum MembersXiaomi 6th AnniversaryMIUI 100 Million Users1 Million Forum App InstallsMIUI HalloweenMid-Autumn FestivalThanksgiving Day2014 ChristmasHappy Valentine's DayMIUI 4th AnniversaryMIUI Weekly PollSuper Friday1st AnniversaryMIUI World TourMIUI Happy MedalPokemon Master MedalMIUI V5 ReviewMIUI 6th AnniversaryMIUI Lucky FridayMIUI Forum AppMIUI 300 WeeksGamer Mi BunnyMiPopI Love Mi BunnyMIUI News TeamMIUI Beta TeamTechnology GuruMost Active MIUIerMIUI Android 4.4 KitKatSuper ModeratorStar MIUI News Team MemberDie-hard MIUI FanAndroid GuruForum Contest LoverPioneer of MIUI English Forum MIUI FB FollowerAndroid ElfMIUI Global Forum 2014Mi TalentMi Story TellerMIUI G+ FollowerMIUI Twitter FollowerDebate MasterUpdates LoverYouth PledgeScroll Of WisdomHumor Master

11:10, Mar-21-2017
|
195.14km, do you miss your York AC?

Comment

marcus_keong Yes I miss it so much! Next month will go back and turn it on!  11:24, Mar-21-2017
Click [Reply] Below To Notify Me

Credits Management

Quick Reply Top Return to the list