We see that many users are using custom Roms on Mi Devices because who don’t want to improve the performance and appearance of their devices, whether it is their phone or PC? Some users always love to have a refreshed and updated look to their phone and this has made most people to change their ROM of Android devices to enhance the performance and features.
So what is Custom ROM?
ROM stands for Read-Only Memory, but that name is a bit misleading nowadays since it has nothing to do with that anymore. A ROM (In Android terminology ) is basically the software that your device runs.
(Custom Read Only Memory) A file (a system image) contains the executable instructions of an Android OS and affiliated apps. The "stock ROM" comes installed on the phone or tablet, while a "Custom ROM" comes from a third party.
Great number of features filled custom ROMs- It will be a chaotic task for you to find the apt one as there are bunches of great custom ROMs available for different devices. Some of them are as follows:
- Lineage OS (Formerly Cyanogen): This is the most famous rom and most of the devices have this rom. LineageOs have excellent performance experience in day to day life. LineageOS is based on the Android Open Source Project.
- AOSP: This is the version of Android that Google gives to the world, often called stock or stock Android. You might see people say that their ROMs are “AOSP-based” or “based on stock Android”, which just means they took the AOSP code and altered it to their liking.
- PAC-man: Get it? Like the little yellow guy from the video game? PAC-man is actually packed to the brim with features since it is a combination of three popular ROMs: CyanogenMod, AOKP, and Paranoid Android.
- Resurrection Remix: Resurrection Remix ROM is ultimately full featured, stable and combined with the best features of open source roms. It is one of the most customizable ROMs out there. Likewise we have tons of Custom Roms such as Mokee, Omini, Halogen Os, Slim, Bliss Roms, AOSPA etc..
It is wise to know more about the Pros and Cons of loading custom ROMs on your Android.
Some Pros of Custom ROMs
- Updated versions: You can load the latest and available Android versions which can make your old phone look new.
- Personalization: There are a number of features that can be customized to suit your taste and working environment. For instance, Custom themes can bring a new look and feel to your device.
- Improve performance: The custom ROMs allow its users to find out the unnecessary apps they have on their device and helps them to get rid of them, thus increases the speed of processing and improves battery life.
Some Cons of Custom ROMs
- Bugs: The custom ROM hasn’t been tested by your manufacturer and carrier, so you may run into other bugs specific to your device and ROM. You could also experience system instability, with apps force-closing and the phone randomly restarting itself.
- Bricking: This is one of the main reason why people hesitate to root their devices. Some devices after the rooting process may become useless and the only option left with you is to get a new one as the manufacturer will cancel the warranty if they find any attempts of rooting.
Now let's start the discussion:
Which was the first Custom ROM you flashed in your device?
Let us know by participating the poll!
Anyone who replies with valid entries before 18th March 2017 will win the Unlock Medal!
Note: All irrelevant entries (such as great, thanks, yes etc) may be deleted without any explanation and will not be entitled to any medals.
Thanks to our beloved Admins, SMods, Mods of Redmi 3S/Prime/3X.
Thanks to @saikumarsk & @cherri94 for support & banner.
A big thanks to my mentor @Technoking2020 for guiding me in every possible way.
And special thanks to Ma'am @candicesu & @Nanana for their continuous supervision.
Always believe that we can achieve something wonderful in this Forum!