--
Description
Steps to reproduce
Screenshot
--
Log
--
This post was edited by volcano619 at 21:50, Mar-07-2015

Up until last week i was able to use my Xiaomi's wifi hotspot to connect external devices and use the inernet data.My external devices WERE APPEARING IN NOTIFICAIONS as connected devices.

This week my external devices can connect to the hotspot BUT NO DATA can be accessed.

Also NO NOTIFICATION APPEARS to confirm external devices are connected to the wifi hotspot EVEN WHEN THEY
ARE CONNECTED to the wifi hotspot network.
The Version i am on [url=]KXDCNBF24.0[/url] current when it worked and current today. I have not changed.

Favorite4 Share

Rated by 1 person   Experience Reason  

xupaxupa69 + 2 Great!

Experience +2  View Rating Log

Credits
Device
Mi 3
Online time
19 Hours
Send PM
 Author| 14:51, Sep-26-2014 | From PC
|
Hi all I've managed to get tether hotspot activated by changing to Miui v6 developer rom. Tethering did not work using this rom until i did the following which i could because the developer rom allows root access. You must have root access to fix this.
1. Backup. I have no problems whatsoever with these steps, but if you have custom recoveries you might want to make a nandroid backup first.

(Optional): Using a root file explorer, go to the directory: /data/data/com.android.providers.settings/databases/. Make a copy of the file settings.db to your sdcard for backup incase you need to restore it, because this file will be getting edited to gain access to tethering hotspot.

2. Purchase SQLite Editor from google playstore. (There are other sqlite editors, but this one is the easiest to use. It's up to you.)

3. Open SQLite Editor, allow root permission for it on your phone, then under the APPS list, scroll down and tap on "Settings Storage".

4. It will search for databases and find "settings.db", tap on it.

5. While in "settings.db", select "global" from the list.

6. You will see a table with "id, name and value" columns. Tap on the + sign on the top right to add a new entry.
In the name field, name it: tether_dun_required. In the value field, write: 0
Tap on Save to save the entry, then exit the app.

8. Make sure you use the correct APN.  APN with IPv4, since tether isn't working with IPv6 yet.

9. Reboot.

Comment

eloymaubert Thank you very much since I got mi4 cant use hotspot, now it works like a charm!  11:00, Nov-12-2014

Rated by 3 people   Experience Reason  

xupaxupa69 + 2 Great!
simonvman + 1 Awesome!
eloymaubert + 5 Thanks!

Experience +8  View Rating Log

Credits
Device
Mi 3
Online time
19 Hours
Send PM
 Author| 12:43, Sep-24-2014 | From PC
|
Here is some information i have copied from http://forums.redflagdeals.com/how-fix-data-tethering-android-kitkat-devices-tbaytel-any-wireless-co-1436409/
There is a big conspiracy with Android phones which secretly blocks tethering functionality from your phone. If you create a wifi hotspot, your computer will be able to connect to it, but if you try to load any pages on the internet, you'll get the error message "Not connected to the network" or something like that. (No upsell page -- just innocuous error message).

If you can't get data tethering to work, the problem is most likely NOT your APN settings, and also not anything that you might have done or configured wrong! It likely also has nothing to do with your wireless provider, unless they offer tethering plans and explicitly block tethering, and so they probably can't help you. (Even if they do explicitly block tethering, for example if you have an unlimited data plan with only limited or no tethering data, the following should still work -- but I don't condone doing this in that case).

This had been driving me nuts because I no longer have internet at home. There IS a fix, and it doesn't require rooting your phone. Spent hours trying to get help at a Tbaytel location. Their response is always that they don't block tethering. Other carriers explicitly tell you when you try to tether (with an upsell page) that you have to pay extra to tether. Tbaytel does not, and their official policy is that tethering is allowed for no extra charge and not blocked.

Well like I said they don't have to block it because Google did the dirty work for them. All KitKat versions of Android block tethering natively. I have a Nexus 4. When I tried tethering with my SIM card in a iPhone, it worked perfectly. This is due to a hidden setting inside your phone's Android software, called "tether_dun_required", where it's set to 1 instead of 0. (0 makes tethering enabled). Normally you can't change this value without rooting your phone, but the following method will allow you to change it.

Credits
Device
Online time
1 Hours
Send PM
23:42, Sep-30-2014 | From PC
|
Since I don't have root and don't know how to install it, I bought FoxFi (WiFi Tether w/o Root)

Credits
Device
Mi 3
Online time
19 Hours
Send PM
 Author| 06:48, Oct-09-2014 | From PC
|
Hi.
Are you using MIUI Version 4.9.26 Developers rom ? If you are, then you have root access permissions. I don't understand "what it is" that you cant install. Did FoxFi solve your problem?
If you need more help let me know.

Credits
Device
Online time
4 Hours
Send PM
23:52, Jan-04-2015 | From PC
|
hey there ..in my mi3 ph hotspot is also not working despite this ubs tethering is working fine ...here limited access in showing and whenever i open my browser it is showing no internet access.. m using 6.2.1.0 KXDCNBK stable rom ...please solve my problem

Credits
Device
Online time
2 Hours
Send PM
13:52, Jan-23-2015 | From PC
|
kostara replied at 2014-9-26 14:51
Hi all I've managed to get tether hotspot activated by changing to Miui v6 developer rom. Tethering  ...

This worked perfectly , Thank you .

Credits
Device
Online time
6 Hours
Send PM
22:01, Jan-27-2015 | From PC
|
It works. Thanks

Credits
Device
Online time
4 Hours
Send PM
20:02, Feb-23-2015 | From PC
|
Thank you @kostara. I'm using my hotspot connection right now to thank you. It works great. This problem was driving me insane for a long while now. Thanks a lot!

Credits
Device
Online time
9 Hours
Send PM
12:41, Feb-26-2015 | From PC
|
why would I have to go to all that trouble when the option is already available on the OS? Is there any other way to activate it or make it work. How do I know if my phone is rooted?

Credits Management

Quick Reply Top Return to the list