MIUI Honorary Moderator

Credits
Device
Mi 4c
Online time
622 Hours
Send PM

Mi In-Ear HeadphonesMi WiFi Router MiniMi Power BankMi Band 2Mi KeyMi BandNinebot MiniMi Portable WiFiMi HomeMi BoxXiaomi 6 LaunchMi VRMIUI 6MIUI 2015I Love MIUIAwesome!Fantastic!MIUI 7MIUI 2016MIUI 8FlashholicMi 3Xiaomi Mi 4Redmi NoteMi 4iRedmi 2Mi TVRedmiMi PadMid-Autumn Festival1st AnniversaryHappy Diwali300K Forum MembersMIUI Fan from MalaysiaMIUI 4th AnniversarySingapore BirthdayHilal Ramadan MIUI Fan From PhilippinesAtaturk MourningMIUI 50 Million UsersMIUI Fan From IndonesiaFan Of MIUI Ex-Yu MIUI Fan from IndiaMIUI Fan From SingaporeMIUI V5 ReviewDiwali UEFA EURO Medal500K Forum Members700K Forum Members1500K Forum Members2014 ChristmasMerry ChristmasThanksgiving Day600K Forum MembersMIUI 5th AnniversaryHappy Valentine's Day800K Forum Members900K Forum MembersFan Of MIUI IndiaMIUI 300 WeeksMIUI Forum AppMIUI Fan from Turkey3500K Forum MembersFan Of MIUI AustraliaSuper TuesdayMIUI 20172100K Forum MembersMIUI World TourMiPopGamer Mi BunnySummer Mi BunnyAlpaca Mi Bunny I Love Mi BunnyMIUI Device TeamMIUI News TeamMi TalentHappy 2019MIUI Medals CollectorMIUI Android 4.4 KitKatMi Lover MedalAndroid GuruTechnology GuruMIUI KingMIUI Photography Classroom TeacherMr. DependableStar Of IconsDie-hard MIUI FanMIUI Photography Team MemberOTA FeedbackUpdates LoverScroll Of WisdomInbox ZeroForum Contest LoverYouth PledgeMIUI Global Forum 2014Mr. Post the MostStar MIUI News Team MemberHumor MasterMIUI FB FollowerDebate MasterMIUI ExpertMIUI Photography GuruBest ArticleMIUI FollowerStar Of MIUI Device TeamIndustrious ReporterMIUI Device ExpertPioneer of MIUI English Forum

[Tips & Tutorials] MIUI Photography Classroom Lesson 4: Macro Photography, the Smartphone way Pt. 2

[ Promote]
24383 196 |
00:18, Aug-28-2014 | From PC
|
|
Go to reply no.
This post was edited by allakazoo at 17:12, Aug-28-2014

MPCBanner.png
Macro Photography,
the Smartphone way Pt. 2
Yes, the conclusion of @jenz1's 2 part series on Macro Photography is here! I shall not dwell too much and get on with it. Shall we?

-allakazoo

ant.jpg
Macro Photography is my swag
(All photos in this thread are taken by my Mi 3)

Macro Photography – Part 2
We're back with another lesson in macro photography. As you might recall from the previous tutorial, there are two ways to we can shoot macro through our mobile device. One is through the macro-mode option in camera setting and the other with a macro lens attachment. We're done with the first one. Now, we're going to get close, really-really close to our subject. Ready? Let's get started!

In this lesson, we will need an additional attachment for our phone, good thing Xiaomi has manufactured one for us - the Xiaomi Wide Angle/Macro Camera Lens.

With a macro lens attachment, I usually shoot with Macro mode on. The camera app focuses faster in this mode than when it is set to auto as it will not focus on further distances.
macro mode.jpg
macro lens.jpg

Here are a few shots taken with a Macro Lens attachment. All other settings are on Auto.
IMG_20140619_063111 (Large).jpg

IMG_20140807_074911 (Large).jpg

To be able to take this kind of shots, you would need to get really, really close to your subject. Like 1-2 inch close. Depending on the how large (or small) your subject is.

There's a bit of a disadvantage though when using auto-focus and macro mode. The camera tends to favour brighter or larger objects to focus on rather than what you really want focused. If this should happen to you though, It would be best to switch to Manual Focus mode.

Manual Focus Mode
In manual mode, it’s best to slide the slider to zero (0) to get a shallow depth of field (DOF). In this mode, you need to find the optimal distance from your subject to get a sharp focus, again this will depend on the size of your subject. Try to experiment with a small inanimate subject first to familiarize yourself with the distance needed. As a Rule-of-Thumb, for subject half an inch and smaller, get as close as a quarter of an inch. And for larger subjects, around an inch or two.

Know when to use Digital zoom
Normally, you would want to avoid using digital zoom, It blurs the details and sometimes add unnecessary noise. But during bright and sunny days, it can be pretty useful if you really want to see the intricate details and patterns on your subject like the eyes on this dragon fly for example,

IMG_20140504_071145 (Large).jpg
Photo taken with a macro lens attachment and 2x zoom

However, this is more of an exemption than a rule. It’s still best to shoot at normal, then just crop the picture to your liking.

Other Considerations
Because of the shallow DOF we work on in macro photography (especially with a macro lens) we have the added ability of creating very pleasant bokeh not possible with other shooting styles. Again some example:

IMG_20140808_073045_1 (Large).jpg

IMG_20140722_065018_PerfectlyClear0001 (Large).jpg

Techniques to Get Great Bokeh
As an added bonus, (I was inspired by @allakazoo’s bokeh lesson) I’m going to share some techniques of my own. This is how I get nice looking bokeh (I know, it a great contrast to how I look haha!)

Technique 1
bokeh_1.jpg

Technique 2
Look for other source of light and shadows.
bokeh_2.jpg

Of course you’re not just limited to these background. Wet leaves and sparkling water gives great bokeh. You can also try to attach your macro lens to your phone and just use it to look at different textures and backgrounds to see what they would look like before using it as a backdrop for your next photo shoot.

Conclusion
Macro photography gives a novice an almost 100% success rate of creating beautiful and amazing photos. Considering that the things you will shoot are mostly underappreciated and invisible to the naked eye. With that said our mobile cameras still aren’t perfect and some post-processing can give your photos that extra “uhmp.”

(For the benefit of full disclosure, some of my photos presented above aren’t SOOC (Straight-Out-Of-Camera). Some I have post processed. These are some of the apps I use: Pixlr Express, Snapseed and Perfectly Clear. I’d love to share some tips and tricks regarding these apps but I’ll save these discussions for later XP.)

As a parting note: All the great equipment in the world can never really help you take great photos if you don’t practice often. So go out there, and shoot, share and inspire.

If you are out there shooting, things will happen for you. If you're not out there, you'll only hear about it.

– Jay Maisel

Happy macro shooting guys!

Favorite22 Share

Rated by 76 people   Experience Prestige Reason  

NanoCaesar + 1 Great!
shashankp1 + 10 + 5 Great!
arunskarthick + 5 Thanks!
magullo + 2 Thanks!
chocolatteMI + 1 Awesome!
mahrev + 1 Fantastic!
dianaloren + 5 Awesome!
KongCK + 1 Great!
TrustedKhan + 1 Awesome!
好巴巴sos + 5 Awesome!
Sukanta76 + 1 Awesome!
erteter + 1 Thanks!
XiaomiPraveen + 1 Great job...
Jos6phJ + 1 Fantastic!
maZPri + 1 Awesome!
PRASOON + 1 Great!
GregoryXie + 1 Awesome!
Mol_Jenn + 1 Thanks! Orz
Xhonathan + 1 Great!
bsljcb + 1 Fantastic!
Mohit816 + 1 Great!
shengchai + 5 Awesome!
MI3MohanCHN + 1 Fantastic!
shekmodi + 1 Awesome!
insong26 + 1 Awesome!
RedmiNoteMi3M4 + 1 Fantastic!
riz99 + 1 Fantastic!

Experience +176  Prestige +5  View Rating Log

Supreme Member

Credits
Device
Redmi Note
Online time
672 Hours
Send PM

Awesome!I Love MIUIMIUI 6Mi 2RedmiRedmi Note300K Forum Members1st AnniversaryMIUI Fan From PhilippinesMIUI 20 Million UsersMIUI Fan From SingaporeI Love Mi BunnySummer Mi BunnyAlpaca Mi Bunny MIUI Device TeamAndroid GuruMIUI ExpertMIUI Android 4.4 KitKatTechnology GuruMIUI Device ExpertMIUI Photography GuruStar Of MIUI Device TeamMIUI FollowerPioneer of MIUI English Forum Humor MasterMIUI Photography Team MemberApp StarMIUI SuperstarRedmi Quiz MasterMaster Of Technology

10:54, Aug-28-2014 | From PC
|
Thanks sooooooooooo much guys @jenz's @allkazoo i love this tutorial!

Rated by 1 person   Experience Reason  

jenz1 + 5 Thanks KateZ

Experience +5  View Rating Log

Platinum Member

Credits
Device
Mi 3
Online time
105 Hours
Send PM

Mi BoxMi BandMi In-Ear HeadphonesMi  BunnyFlashholicFantastic!MIUI 2015Awesome!MIUI 8I Love MIUIMIUI 6Mi NoteMi 3Redmi NoteMi Note ProRedmi 2Xiaomi Mi 4Happy Singles' DayDiwali MIUI 4th AnniversaryMIUI Fan from IndiaMIUI 91st AnniversaryMIUI Fan From Philippines300K Forum MembersMIUI Fan from TurkeyMIUI 50 Million UsersHappy DiwaliThanksgiving DayHilal Ramadan 500K Forum MembersHappy Valentine's DayMIUI Fan From Singapore700K Forum MembersMIUI 5th AnniversaryRooster Year of 2017MIUI Lucky Friday3 Million Forum App Installs2014 ChristmasMIUI 100 Million UsersMIUI Fan From IndonesiaFan Of MIUI IndiaAlpaca Mi Bunny I Love Mi BunnySummer Mi BunnyMIUI Beta TeamScroll Of WisdomOTA FeedbackAndroid ElfYouth PledgeInbox ZeroMIUI FollowerAndroid GuruHumor MasterMIUI Android 4.4 KitKatStar Of IconsUpdates LoverMIUI Global Forum 2014Pioneer of MIUI English Forum MIUI Twitter FollowerDie-hard MIUI FanMIUI FB Follower

10:59, Aug-28-2014 | From PC
|
Thanks!!!

MIUI Honorary Moderator

Strawberry Shortcake

Credits
Device
Redmi Note 3
Online time
632 Hours
Send PM

Mi BandMi BoxMi KeyMi In-Ear HeadphonesAwesome!I Love MIUIMIUI 6FlashholicMi 3Redmi NoteXiaomi Mi 4500K Forum MembersMIUI 4th AnniversaryHappy Valentine's DayMIUI Fan From SingaporeDiwali Singapore BirthdayMIUI 50 Million UsersThanksgiving DayHappy Singles' DayMid-Autumn FestivalHappy Diwali300K Forum MembersSummer Mi BunnyI Love Mi BunnyAlpaca Mi Bunny Gamer Mi BunnyMiPopGFX TeamAndroid ElfInbox ZeroSuper ModeratorPioneer of MIUI English Forum MIUI FollowerDie-hard MIUI FanMIUI Global Forum 2014MIUI Community VIPMIUI Photography GuruMIUI Ice Bucket ChallengeMIUI Android 4.4 KitKatMIUI FB FollowerUpdates LoverHumor MasterAndroid Guru

11:02, Aug-28-2014 | From PC
|
Great tutorial! I shall try that later with my macro lens

Administrator

Flashing

Credits
Device
Mi 5X
Online time
6189 Hours
Send PM

Mi MIXMi HomeAwesome!I Love MIUIMIUI 2016Fantastic!MIUI Devices ContestMi TVMIUI 50 Million UsersThanksgiving DayDiwali MIUI 20 Million UsersMIUI V5 ReviewMIUI 3rd Anniversary2014 ChristmasMIUI Fan From SingaporeFan Of MIUI RussiaMIUI 4th Anniversary1800K Forum MembersSuper SundayMIUI Fan From Nepal90000 Forum MembersMIUI Fan from TurkeyMIUI Forum AppI Love Mi Bunny2017 Annual AwardsMIUI Android 4.4 KitKatOTA FeedbackPioneer of MIUI English Forum Die-hard MIUI Fan

11:07, Aug-28-2014 | From PC
|
Keep learning! Thank you

MIUI 9 Alpha Team - China

Credits
Device
Mi 3
Online time
137 Hours
Send PM

Mi WiFi Router MiniYeelight Bedside LampMi BandMIUI 6MIUI 2016Fantastic!I Love MIUIMIUI 7FlashholicMIUI 2015MIUI 8Mi 4c300K Forum MembersPokemon Master Medal1st AnniversaryMIUI Fan from IndiaMIUI Fan From NepalMIUI 4th AnniversaryMIUI Fan From Indonesia1700K Forum Members1400K Forum MembersHappy Singles' DayMIUI 100 Million UsersMerry ChristmasHappy Valentine's DayFan Of MIUI India1 Million Forum MembersGamer Mi BunnyI Love Mi BunnyAlpaca Mi Bunny Summer Mi BunnyMIUI Beta TeamPioneer of MIUI English Forum Android GuruTechnology GuruHumor MasterDie-hard MIUI FanMi Lover MedalOTA FeedbackMIUI FollowerMost Active MIUIerForum Contest LoverUpdates LoverAndroid Elf

11:09, Aug-28-2014 | From PC
|
great tutorial

Gold Member

Credits
Device
Mi 3
Online time
82 Hours
Send PM

MIUI 6Awesome!MIUI 4th AnniversaryMIUI Fan From PhilippinesOTA FeedbackMIUI Android 4.4 KitKat

11:23, Aug-28-2014 | Via mobile
|
thanks for the tutorial.

Diamond Member

Credits
Device
Redmi Note 5/Pro
Online time
122 Hours
Send PM

Unlock MedalMi Power BankFlashholicI Love MIUIMIUI 2016MIUI Fan From SingaporeMIUI Fan from MalaysiaMIUI 300 Weeks1900K Forum MembersI Love Mi BunnyMiPopSurpriseMIUI Android 4.4 KitKatDebate MasterMi Story TellerForum Contest LoverDie-hard MIUI FanMIUI KingAndroid Elf

11:25, Aug-28-2014 | From PC
|
great tips... tho anyway to get the macro lens?

Elite Member

Credits
Device
Mi A1
Online time
400 Hours
Send PM

Unlock MedalMi BandMagic CubeMi KeyXiaomi 6 LaunchMi WiFi RouterMi Power BankMi HomeMijia VR Play 2Mijia Qi CycleMijia Smart ShoesMi HeadphonesMi Band 2Mi In-Ear HeadphonesMi BoxMi  BunnyXiaomi 7th AnniversaryI Love MIUIMIUI 2015MIUI 6AnTuTuAwesome!Fantastic!FlashholicMIUI Devices ContestMi 3Mi TVRedmi NoteMi 2Mi NoteRedmi 2Mi 4iXiaomi Mi 44 Million Forum MembersThanksgiving DayHappy Singles' DayMIUI Fan from IndiaMIUI 2017MIUI Marathon MedalSurge S1MIUI Weekly PollFan Of MIUI BangladeshMIUI 9MIUI 7th AnniversarySuper MondayDiwali Fan Of MIUI Ex-Yu Hilal Ramadan Singapore BirthdayMIUI Fan From Indonesia1st AnniversaryMIUI V5 ReviewRooster Year of 2017300K Forum MembersMIUI 50 Million UsersHappy DiwaliMIUI Fan from TurkeyMIUI Fan From SingaporeSuper TuesdayFan Of  MIUI AzerbaijanMIUI 4th AnniversaryMIUI Fan From Philippines700K Forum MembersMIUI Forum AppXiaomi 6th AnniversaryMIUI 5th AnniversaryRocket to FutureMIUI Fan From BrazilMIUI Fan from MalaysiaMIUI Happy MedalHappy Valentine's DayFan Of MIUI India90000 Forum Members500K Forum MembersMIUI 100 Million UsersXiaomi 5th AnniversaryAlpaca Mi Bunny MiPopSummer Mi BunnyGamer Mi BunnyI Love Mi BunnyMIUI Device TeamMIUI ReviewMIUI Medals CollectorMIUI 8th AnniversaryNougatStar WarsMIUI KingOreoOTA FeedbackMIUI Follower13 Million Forum MembersMIUI Weekly Devices QuizMIUI 10Happy 2019MIUI FB FollowerMi Lover MedalTechnology GuruMi Bunny Game Master Mi TalentAndroid GuruMIUI G+ FollowerIndia Independence DayIndonesia Independence DayMIUI Halloween 2017Mr. DependableMaster Of TechnologyMIUI ExpertStar Of TechnologyMi Story TellerDebate MasterScroll Of WisdomUpdates LoverMIUI Twitter FollowerStar Of IconsDie-hard MIUI FanPioneer of MIUI English Forum Youth PledgeHumor MasterMIUI Global Forum 2014Android ElfForum Contest LoverInbox ZeroMIUI Android 4.4 KitKatMost Active MIUIer

11:39, Aug-28-2014 | From PC
|
What an awesome tutorial!

I would like to know if this Xiaomi's macro lens can be mounted and unmounted from hand phone anytime we want?

Elite Member

Work for tomorrow

Credits
Device
Mi A1
Online time
653 Hours
Send PM

Mi VRMijia Story TellerMi Power Bank 10000MAH Mi HomeMi KeyXiaomi 6 LaunchMi BandMagic CubeMi Selfie StickMi WiFi RouterMi HeadphonesMi BoxMijia Qi CycleMi Notebook AirMi Bluetooth HeadsetMi Power BankUnlock MedalMi Band 2Mi In-Ear HeadphonesXiaomi 7th AnniversaryMarshmallowMIUI 8MIUI 7MIUI 2016MIUI 2015I Love MIUIMIUI Devices ContestFlashholicAwesome!Fantastic!MIUI 6Mi 4iRedmiMi 4cRedmi Note 2Mi PadXiaomi Mi 4Redmi 2Mi 3Redmi 1SMi TVHappy DiwaliMIUI Fan From Philippines2014 ChristmasFan Of MIUI BangladeshMerry Christmas300K Forum MembersMIUI Fan from Turkey900K Forum MembersMIUI Fan From Singapore800K Forum MembersThanksgiving DayDiwali MIUI 5th Anniversary600K Forum MembersHappy Valentine's DayMIUI Fan From BrazilXiaomi 5th AnniversaryHappy New Year500K Forum MembersHappy Singles' Day1st AnniversaryFan Of MIUI IndiaAtaturk Mourning700K Forum MembersMIUI Fan From IndonesiaMIUI Fan from MalaysiaFan Of  MIUI AzerbaijanMIUI 100 Million UsersMIUI Fan From NepalMIUI 4th AnniversaryMIUI 2017Super FridaySurge S1Rocket to FutureMIUI Lucky Friday3 Million Forum App InstallsFan Of MIUI Russia1 Million Forum App InstallsMIUI Monthly Talk1 Million Forum MembersMIUI Happy MedalSuper SundayMIUI Font LoverMIUI PMIUI 9MIUI 7th Anniversary90000 Forum MembersPuzzle MasterSuper ThursdaySuper Wednesday3500K Forum MembersFan Of MIUI UkraineSingapore BirthdayRooster Year of 20171700K Forum MembersI Love 20161800K Forum Members1900K Forum MembersMid-Autumn FestivalMIUI 300 WeeksMIUI 50 Million UsersMIUI 6th AnniversaryOlympics MedalMIUI Forum App1500K Forum Members2100K Forum MembersHilal Ramadan MIUI World TourPokemon Master MedalMIUI Fan from IndiaFan Of MIUI PolandFan Of MIUI ItalySummer Mi BunnyMiPopAlpaca Mi Bunny I Love Mi BunnyGamer Mi BunnyMIUI ReviewMIUI Beta TeamMIUI Device TeamMIUI FollowerAndroid GuruMIUI Medals CollectorMost Active MIUIerHumor MasterStar Of IconsPioneer of MIUI English Forum Mi TalentStar Of TechnologyApp TalentMi Lover MedalTechnology GuruMi Bunny Game Master Ringtone Star App TalentMIUI ExpertTheme Talent2017 Annual AwardsMost Popular Forum UserMIUI KingMaster Of TechnologyMi Story Teller7 Million Forum MembersMIUI G+ FollowerInbox ZeroMIUI Android 4.4 KitKatYouth PledgeUpdates LoverOTA FeedbackForum Contest LoverMIUI FB FollowerMIUI Twitter FollowerDebate MasterDie-hard MIUI FanAndroid ElfMIUI Global Forum 2014Scroll Of Wisdom

11:41, Aug-28-2014 | From PC
|
too good .... I am trying to learn
Love MiUi

Credits Management

Quick Reply Top Return to the list