MIUI Honorary Moderator

Credits
Device
Mi 4
Online time
436 Hours
Send PM

Mi BandMi BoxMi In-Ear HeadphonesMIUI 6I Love MIUIMIUI 2015MIUI 7Awesome!Fantastic!Xiaomi Mi 4Redmi 2Mi PadMi 3MIUI V5 ReviewMIUI 4th AnniversaryMid-Autumn Festival1st Anniversary2014 Christmas500K Forum MembersHappy Singles' Day300K Forum Members1 Million Forum MembersSummer Mi BunnyAlpaca Mi Bunny I Love Mi BunnyMIUI Device ExpertMIUI Twitter FollowerSuper ModeratorMIUI Android 4.4 KitKatMIUI Global Forum 2014Android GuruUpdates LoverMIUI FollowerStar Of MIUI Device Team

[Tools, Tips & Tutorials] [Device Team Member]Troubleshoot Your Xiaomi Mi 3 Issues if Needed

[ Promote]
10513 32 |
20:05, Aug-23-2014 | From PC
|
|
Go to reply no.
This post was edited by zardMi3 at 16:21, Oct-06-2014

It's been almost 3 month's since I had my Xiaomi Mi 3.  Many things had happened for me, like I got my Xiaomi Mi Pad, I joined the Device Team, graduated from Intern Mod to Mod for the Xiaomi Mi Pad sub-forum, and the many threads that I had contributed.  

On the Xiaomi front, the major happenings were the release of the Xiaomi Mi 4, Mi Band, 4th Anniversary and MIUI 6.  I'm in the Xiaomi first 100 beta tester as well.

Many of us are attracted to Xiaomi products by the quality products plus reasonable pricing.  On the other hand, some maybe new to Android, and some are new to MIUI 5 (MIUI 6 is coming and it will blow your mind away - read my review here).  So I decided that it will be good if I could put together a thread to share about Xiaomi Mi 3, focusing mainly on how to troubleshoot yourself if you get into any issues with it.  Honestly speaking, some of this will apply to other Xiaomi device too.

How to edit your Home Screen:

The word is pinch.  Use two fingers, and pinch.  It's that easy.

Screenshot_2014-10-06-13-10-14.png

Screenshot_2014-10-06-13-10-21.png

How to sort my app icons alphabetically:

You may be wondering, how can I sort all my app icons so that they are done alphabetically?  I've written a guide for this.  Sadly, you will still need to do this even with MIUI 6.

Familiarious yourself with all the apps and their features:

Spend time to explore all the included apps and features.  Try each of them so that if anything is not right, you will know.  A friend of mine bought a Redmi 1s, and brought it along to Malaysia.  When he came back, he told me that the Update app and Phone app wasn't working.  Whenever he clicked on them, he ended up in the home page.  I flashed the latest official rom for him, and everything was working perfectly.  

Sound or Volume Related issues:

A friend of mine told me that when he made a call, the other side could hear him, but he needed to turn on Speaker Mode to hear his friend.  I starting thinking that his phone may be corrupted and started telling him to consider a Factory Reset or flash a new rom.  Luckily, I realised that he should check his volume settings first.  Bingo!  The issue was because volume was set to zero.

Check for malfunction (tip from matheaw and new2city2)
Try this command to test your phone in detail to see if there is any malfunction.  (I've tried this on my Xiaomi Mi 3 with MIUI 6, nothing happens.  It may work with MIUI 5 though.  I'll update if someone let's me know).

*#*#6484#*#* or *#*#MIUI#*#*

If you suspect your ROM is corrupted like some features not working:  
1. This is a thread that I wrote on how Mi Recovery WIPE & RESET works.
2. Learn what each wipe feature means and how to go about wiping your device.

Flashing Latest ROM doesn't solve my issues:
(Updated)
For whatever reasons, you had issues, or you want to change from Stable ROM to Developer ROM, or vice versa.  You tried using the Updater app, Mi Recovery and even MiFlash.  You still have problems.  If you ever encounter this issue, I recommend you to use the ADT method of flashing.  

In my case today (25-Aug), my MIUI 6 (yes, beta tester at work) on 4.8.22, received an OTA 4.8.25. After updating, I had a number of com.xxx.xxx.xxx errors.  I decided to boot into Mi Recovery, change to boot to the other system.  Unfortunately, no luck.  Same error occurred.  In this instance, I wanted to use the ADT method, but unfortunately, I don't have the full fastboot beta ROM, only the zip version of 4.8.22.  That leaves me with two options, use updater app or Mi Recovery.  

I renamed the 4.8.25 OTA zip to update.zip and copied to the root of internal storage.  Next, I used updater and selected the full 4.8.22 zip version, and flashed it.  After reboot, I'm back to 4.8.22. Next I rebooted to Mi Recovery, and used it to flash the 4.8.25 OTA zip (update.zip) to System One.  After that, I rebooted to System One without the earlier errors.  Note that all my apps and data were intact.  Using the same concept, I was able to get System Two updated to 4.8.25.

How does the OTA (Over-The-Air) work:

Most new users will get confused by how the OTA update works.  How come when they go into Mi Recovery, they see System One and System Two.  Relax!  Read my guide on how Mi Recovery, System One and System Two works.

Stable ROM on System One and Developer ROM on System Two:

Is that possible?  Yes, it is possible. Read the first thread that I wrote here.  It includes tips on how to install Google Play.

Root:

If you know what is root, read it.  If you don't, you are advised not to do it.  There are a number of ways to root the Xiaomi Mi 3 stable ROM.  In my case, I prefer to flash the Developer ROM, which comes with root disabled.  If you want root, just enable it.  If you don't need it, you can disable it at anytime.  One main purpose I use root is because I want to use Titanium Backup to backup my installed apps and their data.  Titanium Backup needs root to run.  So after I do my backup, I can disable root.

Xposed Framework and mods:
(hellrokr has indicated this doesn't work on Mi 3 - I've tested on Mi Pad and it works)
This is something that will interest the geeks.  The thread is over at XDA.  Firstly, you need to Root your device.  Next, install the Xposed Framework.  After rebooting and enabling it, you will have many kinds of mods at your disposal.  There are many gems to be had.

Closing:

If you find this useful, kindly click on the Rate button.  If you think there's some other information that is useful to be added here, drop me a reply.  

Feel free to ask me or PM me if you need any advice.  I have the Xiaomi Mi 4 and Mi Pad, so I might not be able to help you for other devices, but I'll try.

Favorite11 Share

Rated by 22 people   Experience Reason  

Vineet-Thomas + 4 Great!
Tapan05 + 2 Great!
AK073 + 1 Great!
hotchapmanu + 1 Great!
forevercool + 1 Great!
prav31 + 1 Fantastic!
MarshallRebel + 3 Agreed!
maheedhar + 1 Great!
RAANNE + 1 Fantastic!
SatHIMself + 1 Great!
Sreek_mi + 1 Agreed!
bapu123 + 1 Awesome!
samraj.andrew + 1 Awesome!
SHAJUFRANCIS + 1 great
HeadingWest + 1 Thanks!
luvxiaomi + 2 Awesome!
donnbh + 1 Awesome!
beekay99 + 1 Fantastic!
amibnrj + 1 Thanks!
ManishVector + 1 Thanks!
Nanana + 6 Awesome!
KateZ + 10 Fantastic!

Experience +43  View Rating Log

Working Google Play Store Tips for Developer Rom without Root - Click
Sorting Apps Icons in Alphabetical Order - Step by Step Guide- Click
Troubleshoot Your Xiaomi Mi 3 Issues if Needed- Click

Diamond Member

Credits
Device
Mi 3
Online time
64 Hours
Send PM

Mi KeyMi BoxMi BandMi In-Ear HeadphonesMIUI 2016FlashholicI Love MIUIMIUI 6Awesome!Fantastic!MIUI 2015Mi TVXiaomi Mi 4Mi 3RedmiMIUI 50 Million UsersMIUI Fan From PhilippinesHappy Diwali1st AnniversaryMIUI Fan from MalaysiaMIUI 4th AnniversaryMIUI Fan From SingaporeDiwali Hilal Ramadan Fan Of MIUI India300K Forum MembersThanksgiving DayHappy Singles' DayHappy Valentine's Day500K Forum MembersSummer Mi BunnyGamer Mi BunnyI Love Mi BunnyAlpaca Mi Bunny MIUI Beta TeamPioneer of MIUI English Forum MIUI Global Forum 2014MIUI Android 4.4 KitKatAndroid GuruMIUI FollowerOTA FeedbackScroll Of WisdomAndroid ElfStar Of IconsUpdates LoverMIUI Medals CollectorMIUI Twitter FollowerForum Contest LoverDie-hard MIUI FanMost Active MIUIerMIUI FB FollowerDebate MasterYouth PledgeHumor Master

11:07, Aug-25-2014 | From PC
|
This post was edited by matheaw at 11:35, Aug-25-2014

*#*#6464#*#*
Try this command also to test your phone in detail if there is any malfunction.

Diamond Member

Credits
Device
Redmi Note 5/Pro
Online time
87 Hours
Send PM

Mi In-Ear HeadphonesMi BandFantastic!MIUI 2015MIUI 6FlashholicI Love MIUIAwesome!Mi 3Redmi 2MIUI V5 ReviewFan Of MIUI India1st AnniversaryMIUI Fan from IndiaFan Of MIUI Ex-Yu MIUI 4th Anniversary300K Forum Members500K Forum Members2014 Christmas700K Forum MembersHappy Valentine's Day1500K Forum MembersSummer Mi BunnyI Love Mi BunnyAlpaca Mi Bunny MIUI G+ FollowerOTA FeedbackUpdates LoverXiaomi 8th AnniversaryStar Of IconsAndroid GuruMIUI FollowerDie-hard MIUI FanMIUI Android 4.4 KitKatMIUI Global Forum 2014Pioneer of MIUI English Forum

11:23, Aug-25-2014 | Via mobile
|
thanks for sharing the info...

Diamond Member

Credits
Device
Mi 3
Online time
54 Hours
Send PM

Mi In-Ear HeadphonesMi BoxMi BandMIUI 2015Awesome!I Love MIUIMi TVMi 3500K Forum Members1st AnniversaryMIUI 100 Million Users300K Forum MembersMIUI Fan from IndiaMIUI 4th AnniversaryFan Of MIUI IndiaI Love Mi BunnyMost Active MIUIerAndroid GuruMIUI FB FollowerMIUI Global Forum 2014Updates LoverMIUI Android 4.4 KitKatStar Of Icons

12:15, Aug-25-2014 | From PC
|
Nice sharing info ....
Good Fan of X I A O M I......

Credits
Device
Online time
0 Hours
Send PM
12:56, Aug-25-2014 | From PC
|
thanks

Platinum Member

Credits
Device
Mi 3
Online time
182 Hours
Send PM

Mi WiFi RouterMi In-Ear HeadphonesMi BoxMi Band 2Mi BandMIUI 2015Fantastic!Awesome!MIUI 6I Love MIUIFlashholicRedmiMi 3Redmi NoteMi TVXiaomi Mi 4Diwali MIUI Fan From SingaporeMIUI 50 Million Users1st AnniversaryHilal Ramadan MIUI Fan From PhilippinesFan Of MIUI IndiaHappy DiwaliMIUI Fan from Malaysia300K Forum MembersThanksgiving DayXiaomi 5th AnniversaryMIUI 4th Anniversary500K Forum Members700K Forum MembersMIUI 5th AnniversaryXiaomi 6th Anniversary1 Million Forum Members800K Forum MembersMIUI Fan from IndiaMIUI 100 Million UsersFan Of MIUI BangladeshAtaturk MourningMIUI Fan From IndonesiaFan Of MIUI Ex-Yu 2014 ChristmasMIUI Fan from TurkeyI Love Mi BunnyAlpaca Mi Bunny Summer Mi BunnyMIUI Beta TeamPioneer of MIUI English Forum Android GuruOTA FeedbackYouth PledgeMIUI FB FollowerMIUI FollowerMIUI Global Forum 2014Android ElfMi TalentForum Contest LoverMIUI Android 4.4 KitKatInbox ZeroMIUI Medals CollectorDie-hard MIUI FanStar Of IconsUpdates LoverMost Active MIUIerMi Lover Medal

13:04, Aug-25-2014 | From PC
|
Thanks for the Info.

Diamond Member

Credits
Device
Mi 3
Online time
29 Hours
Send PM

Awesome!I Love MIUIMi 3MIUI Fan from IndiaMIUI 4th AnniversaryFan Of MIUI IndiaSummer Mi BunnyAlpaca Mi Bunny

14:08, Aug-25-2014 | From PC
|
Good Info. Appreciate if you can capture all such info and create & Publish a Troubleshooting guide.
Bala
Devices :  Xiaomi Mi 3, Samsung S Advanced, Kindle Fire HD

Gold Member

Credits
Device
Mi 3
Online time
21 Hours
Send PM

Mi 3MIUI Fan From Philippines300K Forum MembersMIUI 4th AnniversaryMIUI Fan from MalaysiaMIUI Fan From SingaporeOTA FeedbackMIUI FollowerAndroid Guru

14:17, Aug-25-2014 | From PC
|
thanks!!!

Elite Member

Credits
Device
POCO F1
Online time
642 Hours
Send PM

Yi Action CameraMi KeyMi In-Ear HeadphonesMi BoxMi  BunnyMi BandMi Power BankMijia Smart ShoesMi T-ShirtMi WiFi RouterNinebot MiniMIUI 6Fantastic!Awesome!AnTuTuFlashholicMIUI Devices ContestI Love MIUIMi 3Mi TVMIUI PMIUI World TourXiaomi 6th AnniversaryMIUI Fan from Turkey1st AnniversaryFan MIUI PhilippinesMIUI Fan from IndiaAtaturk MourningRocket to FutureMIUI Happy MedalMIUI 4th AnniversaryFan Of MIUI BangladeshHilal Ramadan 2014 ChristmasThanksgiving DayFan Of MIUI Ex-Yu MIUI SMIUI Fan From IndonesiaMIUI Fan From PhilippinesHappy DiwaliHappy Singles' Day2 Million Forum Members300K Forum MembersDiwali Mid-Autumn FestivalFan Of MIUI IndiaMIUI 50 Million UsersMIUI Fan from MalaysiaMIUI Weekly PollMiPopSummer Mi BunnyAlpaca Mi Bunny Gamer Mi BunnyI Love Mi Bunny9 Million Forum Members25 Million StrongBlack SharkSurpriseMaster Of TechnologyPOCO F1Heart to HeartOreo13 Million Forum MembersMIUI Tech Survey6 Million Forum MembersMIUI 10Android ElfMIUI 8th AnniversaryMIUI SuperstarDiscuss HereMIUI Global Forum 2014MIUI FB FollowerOTA FeedbackMost Active MIUIerAndroid GuruHumor MasterMIUI Quick DiscussionDie-hard MIUI FanStar Of IconsMIUI Android 4.4 KitKatInbox ZeroYouth PledgeRedmi Quiz MasterUpdates LoverPioneer of MIUI English Forum Forum Contest LoverDebate MasterStar Wars8 Million Forum MembersXiaomi 8th Anniversary5 Million Forum MembersMIUI KingMi Lover MedalMIUI FollowerNougatMIUI Weekly Devices QuizQuick SurveyMi Talent

15:25, Aug-25-2014 | From PC
|
*#*#6464#*#* i tried it on my Mi3 V5, nothing happened supposed no malfaunction on my Mi3. Thanks

Gold Member

Credits
Device
Mi3
Online time
29 Hours
Send PM

Mi In-Ear HeadphonesMi BoxMi BandMi HeadphonesMi HomeI Love MIUIAwesome!MIUI Fan from IndiaMIUI 4th AnniversaryThanksgiving Day300K Forum MembersFan Of MIUI IndiaMIUI 6th AnniversaryHappy DiwaliDiwali MIUI 300 Weeks1700K Forum MembersMid-Autumn Festival1800K Forum MembersI Love Mi BunnyMIUI Medals CollectorStar Of Technology

15:57, Aug-25-2014 | From PC
|
Nice info

Credits Management

Quick Reply Top Return to the list