MIUI Honorary Moderator

Credits
Device
Mi 4c
Online time
622 Hours
Send PM

Mi In-Ear HeadphonesMi WiFi Router MiniMi Power BankMi Band 2Mi KeyMi BandNinebot MiniMi Portable WiFiMi HomeMi BoxXiaomi 6 LaunchMi VRMIUI 6MIUI 2015I Love MIUIAwesome!Fantastic!MIUI 7MIUI 2016MIUI 8FlashholicMi 3Xiaomi Mi 4Redmi NoteMi 4iRedmi 2Mi TVRedmiMi PadMid-Autumn Festival1st AnniversaryHappy Diwali300K Forum MembersMIUI Fan from MalaysiaMIUI 4th AnniversarySingapore BirthdayHilal Ramadan MIUI Fan From PhilippinesAtaturk MourningMIUI 50 Million UsersMIUI Fan From IndonesiaFan Of MIUI Ex-Yu MIUI Fan from IndiaMIUI Fan From SingaporeMIUI V5 ReviewDiwali UEFA EURO Medal500K Forum Members700K Forum Members1500K Forum Members2014 ChristmasMerry ChristmasThanksgiving Day600K Forum MembersMIUI 5th AnniversaryHappy Valentine's Day800K Forum Members900K Forum MembersFan Of MIUI IndiaMIUI 300 WeeksMIUI Forum AppMIUI Fan from Turkey3500K Forum MembersFan Of MIUI AustraliaSuper TuesdayMIUI 20172100K Forum MembersMIUI World TourMiPopGamer Mi BunnySummer Mi BunnyAlpaca Mi Bunny I Love Mi BunnyMIUI Device TeamMIUI News TeamMi TalentHappy 2019MIUI Medals CollectorMIUI Android 4.4 KitKatMi Lover MedalAndroid GuruTechnology GuruMIUI KingMIUI Photography Classroom TeacherMr. DependableStar Of IconsDie-hard MIUI FanMIUI Photography Team MemberOTA FeedbackUpdates LoverScroll Of WisdomInbox ZeroForum Contest LoverYouth PledgeMIUI Global Forum 2014Mr. Post the MostStar MIUI News Team MemberHumor MasterMIUI FB FollowerDebate MasterMIUI ExpertMIUI Photography GuruBest ArticleMIUI FollowerStar Of MIUI Device TeamIndustrious ReporterMIUI Device ExpertPioneer of MIUI English Forum

[Tips & Tutorials] MIUI Photography Classroom Lesson 3: Macro Photography, the Smartphone way Pt. 1

[ Promote]
38597 275 |
20:40, Aug-20-2014 | From PC
|
|
Go to reply no.
MPCBanner.png
Macro Photography,
the Smartphone way Part 1

A good day to all! Before the start of today's lesson, I would like to introduce a guest writer for the MPC series. He is non other than @jenz1! I'm sure many of you have be enthralled by his photographic skills using just a puny smartphone. In the spirit of sharing, Jenz1 will show us unselfishly, how he makes the photos happen. So without further ado, read on for the fantastic Macro Photography, the Smartphone way Part 1!

If you're interested in sharing your expertise with us, feel free to contact me!

- allakazoo

Of all the photography styles, I enjoy macro photography the most. Macro photography has a way of making ordinary things look extraordinary. It shifts our perspective on the world and the subjects we shoot, it makes mundane things seem fascinating and amazingly cool. You will never run out of subjects when you favour macro photography.

What is Macro-Photography? Simply put, they are images taken from a close distance, with a very shallow focal length, showing great detail and often isolating the subject from the background.

Here’s a sample:
IMG_20140807_074715.jpg
(All photos in this thread is taken by @jenz1 with his Mi 3.)

Got you interested? Let’s take a closer look, shall we? Pun intended : )
There are two ways we can take macro photos using our mobile phone. The first, is by using the macro mode on our phone setting and the second, is via a macro-lens attachment. Both can be used interchangeably while shooting a subject and will definitely turn-up some interesting photos for you.

In this 2-part tutorial, I hope to pass along not just my technical knowledge, but also my passion for macro photography.

There are some basic rules when shooting macros, this is true for both with and without macro lens attachment.

Keep it steady
In macro mode, your slightest movement is amplified. You’ll need to prevent camera shake as much as possible. Here are 3 suggestions to keep your photos nice and sharp.

1. Before pressing the shutter button, inhale and then exhale slowly till your lungs are empty. Hold still. In that moment before your next inhale cycle, release the shutter.
2. Prop your elbow or finger on something sturdy so your arms don’t move from the weight of your phone. Tucking in your elbows against your body also helps.
3. Get a Tripod. There are now tripods being sold with mobile phone holders or mounts and are relatively cheap. This is the best and steadiest solution.

The Best Time to Shoot
As a rule of thumb, (for outdoor settings) it’s always best to shoot during early morning, around 6 – 8 AM and afternoon, 4 – 6 PM. During this time, insects are at their most calm state. They are less agitated and would almost always welcome you to take their photographs. For indoor settings though, you should be more concerned with lighting than anything else. Macro shots works best with good lighting conditions and there’s no problem with that outdoors, but indoors, such is not the case.

Places and Objects to Shoot
There is a certain feeling to macro photography that is zen-like and intimate. It gets you close to your subject and lets you see all the details and makes you appreciate small wonders all around us. A garden is a good place to start and flowers are a good subject. They offer great colors and variations. Plus, they keep absolutely still!
IMG_20140726_063147 (Large).jpg
macro mode only
IMG_20140726_063320 (Large).jpg
with macro lens attachment

Macro Photography via Macro Mode (no lens attachment)
Before we dive into macro-photography, let us first understand some basic features available to us on our phone. To get started, Launch you camera app, hit the menu key (3 horizontal stripes) and go to Settings>Advance settings and turn off simple mode. Hit the back button twice and you are back to the view finder. You will now notice a few changes when you hit the menu button. Find the [+] icon, that’s where you’ll find Macro Mode. Tap on that and you’re ready to go. I usually keep other settings at auto and just post-process after.

Macro mode has a limited range and can only focus on an object around 5-3 inches away from you. Closer than 3 inches IS possible but the camera would have a hard time focusing. But you’re welcome to try ^__^
One thing good about the MIUI camera is that it has a 6.06x maximum zoom. Which is actually quite rare for a phone. Needless to say though, it really not advisable to use digital zoom, but in some rare cases this can be an advantage. I will discuss this later.

Macro Mode Outdoors
Shooting outdoors is the most ideal since you won’t lack for subjects, (insects, flowers, dew drops, leaves, twigs, grass, soil, everything is fair game) and above all, there’s sufficient light courtesy of the sun ^__^

Here are a sample of a macro mode only shot (no zoom. cropped via Pixlr)
IMG_20140807_072128_1 (Large).jpg

There’s no particular skills necessary here, just get up close, focus on your subject and shoot. Of course, there is still composition, but I’ll save that for the next tutorial (teehee). Right now it would be best to just shoot whatever you fancy.
Shooting Indoors
Now this is where It gets a bit challenging. Indoors lacks sufficient light. But there are things you can do indoors that would still be quite fulfilling like these sample images:
IMG_20140706_122456 (Large).jpg

IMG_20140804_114730_1 (Large).jpg

Of course you are not limited to just office objects, you can also shoot food using macro mode and get some pleasant images. Just don’t forget. When Indoors, good lightning is imperative.
As you may have heard countless times, digital zoom IS crap. I would loosely quote Uncle Ben here: “With great zoom, comes great noise.” Hehe. But as I’ve mentioned earlier, there are rare cases where you can actually use it. Here is a shot of a jumper spider, it just dropped on my work station, moseyed around like I wasn’t there. Unfortunately, I didn’t have my macro lens handy so I did what I had to do. I shot with a digital zoom.

Surprisingly, here’s what I got:
IMG_20140710_133349.jpg
Macro Mode and 6.06x digital zoom

My Mi3 exceeded my expectations here. For an indoor shot with low light and at 6.06x zoom, It turned-out pretty well.

By now, you would have figured out that you can touch the part of the screen where you want to focus. This works great for large subjects like flowers or animals but can be pretty tricky if your subject is thin like vines or very small insects.
IMG_20140807_072154 (Large).jpg
You would find it difficult to focus on object this thin.

The trick is to first focus on a leaf or a large object which is at a distance similar to your subject. In this case, I would first focus on the leaf on the left, then slowly shift the camera to the spider’s web. It takes a while for the camera to change focus, so we can use that to our advantage here.

Well, that’s about it, for this tutorial. Next week, I’ll talk a little about composition in macro photography and shooting with a Macro Lens attachment (Yey!). This is where it gets really amazing folks, so stay tuned for that. Thanks for reading!

Just to whet your appetite, here are some samples of macro photographs with the macro lens attachment. Enjoy and stay tuned for Part 2! ^__^
IMG_20140808_073433.jpg

IMG_20140208_133638_3452481283_2 (Large).jpg

jumper 062502 (Large).jpg

IMG_20140708_071352.jpg

Previous Lessons:

Favorite64 Share

Comment

nomatchoftome Really Nice tips I am getting pro in photography  02:53, Aug-22-2014

Rated by 127 people   Experience Prestige Reason  

Nuxiz1 + 1 Great!
triosn + 1 Great!
shashankp1 + 10 + 5 Thanks!
arunskarthick + 5 Awesome!
reebas + 1 Awesome!
Krishhi + 1 Fantastic!
19ricky67 + 2 Thanks!
AshishTrivedi + 1 cool
mahrev + 1 Fantastic!
sauank + 1 Fantastic!
dianaloren + 5 Fantastic!
KurtyKurt + 1 Awesome!
TrustedKhan + 1 Awesome!
Snakecharmrr + 1 Awesome!
Shenxinglai + 1 Great!
XiaomiPraveen + 1 Fantastic!
Raaj. + 1 Fantastic!
aizuudieen + 1 Great!
tjesiong + 1 Thanks!
Aikloon(阿伦) + 1 Great!
vipsi + 1 Fantastic!
muharrem + 1 Awesome!
Littlecharlie + 1 Great!
Trem + 1 Fantastic!
Drew63 + 1 Awesome!
yitsushi + 1 Great!
7.aaronng + 2 Awesome!

Experience +229  Prestige +8  View Rating Log

MIUI Honorary Moderator

I am unique just like everybod

Credits
Device
Mi Note
Online time
642 Hours
Send PM

Mi Power BankMi T-ShirtMi In-Ear HeadphonesMi BandFantastic!MIUI 7I Love MIUIMIUI 2015MIUI 2016Awesome!MIUI 8MIUI 6Mi 3Mi PadMIUI Fan From PhilippinesMIUI 4th AnniversaryI Love 20162014 ChristmasMIUI 100 Million Users1st AnniversaryMIUI V5 ReviewMIUI 50 Million Users300K Forum MembersFan MIUI PhilippinesSingapore Birthday1300K Forum Members1 Million Forum Members5 Million Forum PostsXiaomi 5th AnniversaryThanksgiving DayMIUI 6th Anniversary900K Forum Members1400K Forum Members700K Forum Members800K Forum Members1500K Forum MembersGamer Mi BunnyI Love Mi BunnyMIUI Photography GuruMIUI Photography Classroom TeacherAndroid GuruMIUI Medals CollectorMi Lover MedalMIUI Android 4.4 KitKatMIUI Photography Team MemberUpdates LoverMIUI Global Forum 2014Super MIUI ThemeForum Contest LoverDebate MasterStar Of IconsPioneer of MIUI English Forum OTA FeedbackDie-hard MIUI FanMIUI Follower

16:01, Aug-21-2014 | From PC
|
This post was edited by jenz1 at 12:15, Aug-22-2014

After making this tutorial, I've been experimenting a lot with my Mi3 and learned more about its capabilities.I tried using it at high noon with very bright sunlight and got these images. (I' find myself using my macro lens far lesser these days hehe)

Settings: Manual Focus / 3x Digital Zoom / ISO at auto and exposure at auto (NO macro lens attachment)

The good thing about using macro mode / manual focus only is that your camera doesn't have a "circular focus" rather, it keeps the full frame focused and sharp. This is specially useful if you have two small subject that's far apart and want both to be in-focus

Rated by 6 people   Experience Prestige Reason  

reebas + 1 Fantastic!
Trem + 1 Awesome!
allakazoo + 10 + 3 Thanks for the extra!
aakashnaik23 + 1 Great!
lcjml49 + 5 Great!
avel_ana + 1 Awesome!

Experience +19  Prestige +3  View Rating Log

http://jenietomboc.wix.com/portfolio

Supreme Member

Credits
Device
Redmi Note
Online time
672 Hours
Send PM

Awesome!I Love MIUIMIUI 6Mi 2RedmiRedmi Note300K Forum Members1st AnniversaryMIUI Fan From PhilippinesMIUI 20 Million UsersMIUI Fan From SingaporeI Love Mi BunnySummer Mi BunnyAlpaca Mi Bunny MIUI Device TeamAndroid GuruMIUI ExpertMIUI Android 4.4 KitKatTechnology GuruMIUI Device ExpertMIUI Photography GuruStar Of MIUI Device TeamMIUI FollowerPioneer of MIUI English Forum Humor MasterMIUI Photography Team MemberApp StarMIUI SuperstarRedmi Quiz MasterMaster Of Technology

12:07, Aug-21-2014 | From PC
|
Super! Thank you @jenz1 and @allakazoo!!!

Diamond Member

Credits
Device
Mi 3
Online time
18 Hours
Send PM

Mi 3MIUI 4th AnniversaryMIUI Fan From SingaporeMIUI Fan from MalaysiaOTA Feedback

12:10, Aug-21-2014 | Via mobile
|
nice one

MIUI Honorary Moderator

Gopi Nath

Credits
Device
Mi 5
Online time
1293 Hours
Send PM

Mi Portable WiFiMi BoxMi In-Ear HeadphonesMi KeyMi Power BankMi BandI Love MIUIMIUI 8Awesome!MIUI 6MIUI 2015MIUI 2016Fantastic!FlashholicRedmiMi TVMi 3Redmi Note 2Xiaomi Mi 4Mi 4iMIUI 4th AnniversaryMid-Autumn FestivalHappy DiwaliDiwali Singapore BirthdayMIUI 50 Million Users300K Forum MembersFan Of MIUI Ex-Yu MIUI Fan from MalaysiaMIUI Fan From SingaporeMIUI Fan from IndiaXiaomi 6th Anniversary600K Forum Members700K Forum Members1 Million Forum Members1400K Forum MembersXiaomi 5th Anniversary500K Forum MembersThanksgiving Day2014 ChristmasHappy Valentine's DayMIUI 100 Million UsersHappy Singles' DayFan Of MIUI IndiaUEFA EURO Medal1st AnniversaryMIUI Fan From IndonesiaMIUI V5 ReviewMi Live MedalMIUI Fan From BrazilMIUI 300 WeeksI Love Mi BunnyAlpaca Mi Bunny Gamer Mi BunnySummer Mi BunnyMIUI News TeamMr. Post the MostApp StarMi Bunny Game Master Most Active MIUIerMIUI Honorary ModeratorStar Of IconsWallpaper ExpertOTA FeedbackDie-hard MIUI FanMIUI FollowerPOCO F1Mi Lover MedalStar MIUI News Team MemberSuper ModeratorPioneer of MIUI English Forum Master Of TechnologyDebate MasterForum Contest LoverInbox ZeroMIUI Twitter FollowerMIUI FB FollowerMi TalentMIUI Global Forum 2014Mr. DependableYouth PledgeAndroid GuruMIUI Android 4.4 KitKatUpdates LoverApp TalentHumor MasterMIUI Resources Team

12:11, Aug-21-2014 | From PC
|
Its a bit tough but worth learning

Platinum Member

Credits
Device
Mi 4
Online time
154 Hours
Send PM

Mi In-Ear HeadphonesMi Power BankMi BoxMi KeyMIUI 2015Fantastic!MIUI 6I Love MIUIFlashholicAwesome!RedmiMi 3MIUI Fan From SingaporeFan Of MIUI BangladeshMIUI Fan From IndonesiaFan Of MIUI Ex-Yu 900K Forum MembersMIUI 4th AnniversaryHilal Ramadan MIUI Fan From PhilippinesMIUI Fan from MalaysiaMIUI Fan from IndiaFan Of MIUI India300K Forum MembersHappy Valentine's DayMIUI 50 Million UsersHappy Singles' DayAlpaca Mi Bunny I Love Mi BunnySummer Mi BunnyMIUI Android 4.4 KitKatYouth PledgeMIUI Global Forum 2014MIUI FollowerDie-hard MIUI FanAndroid ElfOTA FeedbackHumor MasterAndroid GuruRingtone Star Pioneer of MIUI English Forum Most Active MIUIer

12:14, Aug-21-2014 | From PC
|
nice share
syalalalala

Diamond Member

Credits
Device
Mi3
Online time
68 Hours
Send PM

Awesome!I Love MIUIRedmi NoteFan Of MIUI IndiaMIUI V5 ReviewMIUI Fan from IndiaMIUI Fan From SingaporeMIUI Fan From IndonesiaMIUI 4th AnniversarySingapore BirthdayMIUI Fan from MalaysiaI Love Mi BunnyMIUI FollowerMIUI Medals CollectorPioneer of MIUI English Forum Android GuruOTA Feedback

12:17, Aug-21-2014 | From PC
|
Thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you for this series! I sure did learn more about unleashing the power of photography.

Elite Member

DIE HARD MIUI FAN ]:)

Credits
Device
Redmi Note 3
Online time
311 Hours
Send PM

Mi Power Bank 10000MAH Xiaomi 6 LaunchMi BandMi KeyMi VRUnlock MedalMi HomeMi Bluetooth SpeakerMi BoxMi Band 2Mi In-Ear HeadphonesXiaomi 7th AnniversaryMIUI 2015MIUI 7MIUI 8FlashholicFantastic!MIUI Devices ContestAwesome!MIUI 6I Love MIUI4 Million Forum MembersRedmi NoteMi TVRedmi Note 3Mi 3Xiaomi Mi 4Redmi Note 2RedmiMi 4iRedmi 1SMIUI Fan From IndonesiaSingapore BirthdayHappy Valentine's Day500K Forum Members800K Forum MembersMIUI Fan from IndiaMIUI 5th Anniversary600K Forum MembersMIUI 4th AnniversaryFan Of MIUI BangladeshMerry ChristmasMIUI Fan from Turkey300K Forum MembersMIUI Fan From SingaporeMIUI 50 Million UsersFan Of MIUI IndiaHilal Ramadan MIUI Fan From PhilippinesHappy DiwaliDiwali MIUI Fan from Malaysia1st AnniversaryThanksgiving DayHappy Singles' DayHappy New YearAtaturk Mourning2014 Christmas700K Forum MembersMIUI 2017MIUI Happy MedalSuper FridaySuper Monday1 Million Forum MembersPuzzle MasterRooster Year of 201710 Million Forum Posts3 Million Forum MembersSurge S15 Million Forum App InstallsHappy Holi MedalFan Of MIUI AustraliaMIUI World TourMIUI 9MIUI PSuper Saturday3500K Forum MembersRocket to FutureSuper TuesdaySuper WednesdayI Love 2016Super ThursdayMIUI 6th AnniversaryMIUI Forum App1400K Forum MembersMIUI 300 Weeks1500K Forum MembersMi Live MedalOlympics MedalMIUI Fan From NepalUEFA EURO MedalPokemon Master MedalI Love Mi BunnyGamer Mi BunnySummer Mi BunnyAlpaca Mi Bunny MIUI ReviewGFX TeamMost Active MIUIerTheme TalentDie-hard MIUI FanAndroid GuruMi TalentMaster Of TechnologyMIUI SuperstarTechnology GuruMi Lover MedalMost Popular Forum UserPioneer of MIUI English Forum Humor MasterScroll Of WisdomOTA FeedbackMIUI Android 4.4 KitKatInbox ZeroMIUI KingMi Bunny Game Master MIUI Global Forum 2014MIUI FollowerForum Contest LoverAndroid ElfStar Of TechnologyUpdates LoverStar Of IconsDebate MasterMIUI Twitter FollowerMIUI Medals CollectorYouth PledgeMi Story TellerMIUI ExpertMIUI FB Follower

12:21, Aug-21-2014 | From PC
|
AWESOME !!!!

Diamond Member

Credits
Device
Redmi 3S Prime
Online time
69 Hours
Send PM

Mi Band 2Mi HomeXiaomi 7th AnniversaryMIUI 8MarshmallowMIUI 6I Love MIUIFantastic!Super WednesdayWomen's Day Medal1st AnniversaryMIUI 4th AnniversarySurge S1MIUI 50 Million Users300K Forum MembersMIUI Lucky Friday10 Million Forum PostsSuper MondayMIUI 2017Super Thursday5 Million Forum App Installs3 Million Forum MembersMIUI Forum AppMIUI Beta TeamAndroid GuruForum Contest LoverAndroid ElfMIUI Ice Bucket ChallengeDebate MasterDie-hard MIUI FanYouth PledgeStar Of Icons

12:26, Aug-21-2014 | From PC
|
nice one...

Diamond Member

Credits
Device
Mi 4
Online time
48 Hours
Send PM

Mi BandMIUI 6I Love MIUIMIUI 2015Fantastic!Awesome!FlashholicMIUI 8MIUI 7MIUI 2016Mi 4iMi TVXiaomi Mi 4Mi NoteMi PadMIUI 4th AnniversaryMIUI Fan From SingaporeMIUI Fan From Indonesia500K Forum Members1 Million Forum MembersHilal Ramadan MIUI 5th AnniversaryHappy Valentine's DayMIUI Forum App700K Forum MembersI Love Mi BunnyMIUI Beta TeamAndroid GuruOTA FeedbackForum Contest LoverDebate MasterMIUI FB FollowerMIUI G+ FollowerHumor Master

12:26, Aug-21-2014 | Via mobile
|
haha nice info very good shots as well

Diamond Member

Credits
Device
Mi 5 Pro
Online time
103 Hours
Send PM

I Love MIUIAwesome!MIUI Fan from MalaysiaMIUI V5 ReviewMIUI Fan From SingaporeAndroid GuruMIUI Follower

12:31, Aug-21-2014 | From PC
|
Excellent ...

Credits Management

Quick Reply Top Return to the list