MIUI Honorary Moderator

Credits
Device
Mi 4c
MIUI Version
Online time
618 Hours
Send PM

Mi In-Ear HeadphonesMi WiFi Router MiniMi Power BankMi Band 2Mi KeyMi BandNinebot MiniMi Portable WiFiMi HomeMi BoxXiaomi 6 LaunchMi VRMIUI 6MIUI 2015I Love MIUIAwesome!Fantastic!MIUI 7MIUI 2016MIUI 8FlashholicMi 3Xiaomi Mi 4Redmi NoteMi 4iRedmi 2Mi TVRedmiMi PadMid-Autumn Festival1st AnniversaryDiwali 300K Forum MembersMIUI Fan from MalaysiaMIUI 4th AnniversarySingapore BirthdayHilal Ramadan MIUI Fan From PhilippinesAtaturk MourningMIUI 50 Million UsersMIUI Fan From IndonesiaFan Of MIUI Ex-Yu MIUI Fan from IndiaMIUI Fan From SingaporeMIUI V5 ReviewHappy DiwaliMerry Christmas500K Forum MembersUEFA EURO Medal700K Forum Members2014 ChristmasThanksgiving Day900K Forum MembersMIUI 5th Anniversary600K Forum MembersHappy Valentine's Day800K Forum Members1500K Forum MembersMIUI 300 WeeksMIUI Forum AppSuper TuesdayFan Of MIUI IndiaMIUI Fan from Turkey3500K Forum MembersMIUI 2017Fan Of MIUI Australia2100K Forum MembersMIUI World TourGamer Mi BunnyAlpaca Mi Bunny Summer Mi BunnyMiPopI Love Mi BunnyMIUI News TeamMIUI Device TeamMIUI Medals CollectorTechnology GuruMi Lover MedalMIUI KingAndroid GuruMi TalentMIUI Android 4.4 KitKatHumor MasterMr. DependableStar Of IconsDie-hard MIUI FanMIUI Photography Team MemberOTA FeedbackUpdates LoverMIUI Global Forum 2014Inbox ZeroForum Contest LoverYouth PledgeScroll Of WisdomMr. Post the MostStar MIUI News Team MemberMIUI FB FollowerMIUI Photography Classroom TeacherDebate MasterMIUI ExpertMIUI Photography GuruBest ArticleMIUI FollowerStar Of MIUI Device TeamIndustrious ReporterMIUI Device ExpertPioneer of MIUI English Forum

[Others] [MIUI Device Team] MIUI 6 Camera App (Beta version 4.8.15)

[ Promote]
9770 80 |
10:56, Aug-17-2014 | From PC
|
|
Go to reply no.
This post was edited by allakazoo at 07:20, Sep-09-2014

MIUI 6 Camera App
(Beta version 4.8.15)

The MIUI 6 ROM arrived yesterday (8.16) to much fanfare. Amidst all the excitment, I received my Beta package and quickly flashed it on my Mi 3. One of the first things I test drove was the Camera App.

Here's my unbiased review of the MIUI 6 default Camera App on the Mi 3.

As usual, the Camera App is activated by an icon on the homescreen or if you can activated it by a long press of the back button at the Lockscreen. Please be aware that if you use the camera from the Lockscreen, the gallery is locked and so are the settings.

Camera App
When you enter the Camera App, this is what you see.
Screenshot_2014-08-17-08-33-57.png
There's not much difference from the MIUI 5 Camera App, except that it now follows the design philosophy of a lighter and cleaner look of MIUI 6.

Diving into the app, reveals more. Here's a side by side look of the 2 Camera Apps. MIUI 5 on the left and MIUI 6 on the right. If you want to know more details of the MIUI 5 Camera App, please read this thread. OK, let's look at the MIUI 6 app.
Camera01.jpg
1. Flash setting
2. Camera settings
3. Toggle front / back camera. You may also do a downward swipe to toggle the front / back cameras.
4. Camera roll
5. Shutter release, hold for burst shooting mode.
6. Video camera
7. Focus point. Tap anywhere on the screen to focus on whatever your subject is. MIUI 6 now adds a shutter release here. Once focus is achieved (green circle), tap once more to release the shutter. The exposure is also controlled here. By holding down on the circle and moving clockwise (+exposure) or anti-clockwise (-exposure). A very good and efficient way to control exposure. Well done Xiaomi!

Gesture features
New to the MIUI 6 Camera App are some gesture based features. The gesture is new, but features are not. As mentioned above, swipe down toggles the cameras.

For the front and back cameras, swiping left accesses photo filters. There are 11 filters. Less than Mi 4's 15. I'm wondering if that is considered a step back for Mi 4 users who will upgrade to MIUI 6 in the near future. Well, Xiaomi will probably fix the problem soon. We are in Beta afterall.  
CameraFilters.png

For the back camera, swiping right brings up some camera settings. The features are self explanatory. However, Panaroma, Focus mode and White balance are missing! This is quite serious as White balance is a critical feature. Again, I believe Xiaomi will fix that fairly quickly. Having said that, this idea of gesture based features is good. Kudos to Xiaomi for coming up with that.
CameraSwipeR.png

For the front camera, swiping right brings up slightly different camera settings. You lose Audio shutter, HDR and HHT, but you gain a Countdown timer. This is especially useful if you are using a selfie pod and require some time to adjust before the camera takes the photo. On a separate note, while HDR and HHT are useless on a front camera, Audio shutter should be an option here. Hopefully Xiaomi puts in, in the next update.
Screenshot_2014-08-17-23-57-42.png

If you are in Video mode, the right swipe gets you this. Your video clip will be recorded based on the time lapse interval you have set in settings (I'll talk about it in a while). No audio is recorded in this mode for obvious reasons. If Fast is not selected, a normal video clip is produced. It is 720p. No 1080p or any other option. In case you are wondering, the time lapse clip is also 720p.
Screenshot_2014-08-17-08-35-36.png

Camera and video Settings
So far, I've not talked about the little gear icon at the top of the Camera App screen. In camera and video mode, it gives access to some settings. MIUI 6 has also moved Settings into a central location under Settings - System apps, where ALL system apps' settings can be changed. I kinda like this but I would also appreciate that I can change these settings inside each app when I want to (so far only Camera App lets you have access to settings in-app). Hopefully Xiaomi agrees with me, coz it has been like this with MIUI for Pad for a long time already. Alright, enough talk. Let's take a look.

Camera settings
Mirror front camera is a new feature. It allows you to choose if you would like a mirror image when taking a selfie. Otherwise, everything is simplified when compared to the MIUI 5 Camera App. Choose 4:3 (3120x4208) for your Camera frame's setting if you want the highest resolution photo. A selection of 16:9 gives you a photo of lower resolution (2368x4208).
CameraS.png

Video settings
There's something new here. The Movie solid setting is MIUI 6's built in video stabilisation. It is turned on by default and does make a noticeable difference when you make hand held videos. The Time lapse interval setting I spoke about earlier is also adjustable here.
CameraVideoS.png

Conclusion
MIUI 6 has simplified and made photo taking even easier for users especially the point and shoot photographers (read majority of smartphone users). Thumbs up! However it remains to be seen how this Camera App can be taken seriously with key features missing. Most will end up installing 3rd party cameras to take advantage of the class leading cameras in their Mi 3 and 4's. Of course we have to bear in mind that this is a Beta release. Nothing is confirmed and changes will definitely take place before the stable release.

Thank you for reading this review on the MIUI 6 camera. I has a video that has my thoughts on the new MIUI 6 ROM. Check it out!

Favorite6 Share

Rated by 33 people   Experience Reason  

nIXver + 1 Fantastic!
Ridwans + 1 Fantastic!
Diongdyh + 1 Thanks!
Anlogfreak + 1 Thanks!
gpdb + 1 Great!
Shenxinglai + 1 Great!
anwarkb555 + 2 Fantastic!
cuongthanh + 1 Great!
talha1903 + 1 Thanks!
J®se + 4 Thanks!
fageria + 1 Thanks!
Fusionated + 1 Thanks!
AMIT143 + 1 Great!
tomcat551 + 2 Great!
SuzAnDroid + 1 Thanks!
meredithhan + 10 Great!
jackson4237 + 1 Awesome!
dexterouz + 5 Great!
jo.luv.mi + 1 Thanks!
JRWP + 1 Great!
jenz1 + 1 Nice review. MIUI should take this oppor
FaizulGhazi + 1 Awesome!
rocco6 + 5 Thanks!
HeadingWest + 1 Great!
sudy_freak + 2 Great!
Abynezh + 1 Awesome!
gbrowley + 1 Great!

Experience +65  View Rating Log

MIUI Honorary Moderator

❤ Xiaomi 4

Credits
Device
Mi 4
MIUI Version
Online time
1101 Hours
Send PM

Mi WiFi RouterMi Power BankMi KeyMi BandMi BoxMi In-Ear HeadphonesFantastic!I Love MIUIFlashholicAwesome!MIUI 6MIUI 2015Mi 3Xiaomi Mi 4Mi 1Redmi NoteMi 2Mi TVRedmiHappy DiwaliMIUI Fan From PhilippinesFan Of MIUI Ex-Yu 1st Anniversary300K Forum MembersMIUI Fan From IndonesiaFan Of MIUI IndiaMIUI 50 Million UsersMIUI 4th AnniversaryDiwali Singapore BirthdayFan Of MIUI BangladeshMIUI Fan From Singapore2014 ChristmasHappy Valentine's DayMIUI 100 Million UsersXiaomi 5th Anniversary500K Forum MembersMIUI Fan from IndiaMIUI Fan from TurkeyHappy Singles' DayMIUI Fan from MalaysiaAtaturk MourningMIUI V5 ReviewThanksgiving DayI Love Mi BunnyGamer Mi BunnyAlpaca Mi Bunny Summer Mi BunnyOTA FeedbackPioneer of MIUI English Forum Android GuruMIUI FollowerMIUI Medals CollectorMIUI Ice Bucket ChallengeStar Of IconsWallpaper TalentForum Contest LoverWallpaper StarGolden Idea CreatorMIUI FB FollowerMIUI Global Forum 2014Android ElfSuper ModeratorWallpaper ExpertApp StarMIUI Android 4.4 KitKatMIUI Resources TeamDie-hard MIUI FanMost Active MIUIerHumor MasterUpdates LoverRingtone Star Inbox ZeroYouth Pledge

12:15, Aug-17-2014 | From PC
|
Age and gender detection cannot use in MIUI 6 right?

Comment

allakazoo Nope.  13:46, Aug-17-2014

Diamond Member

Credits
Device
Mi 3
MIUI Version
Online time
80 Hours
Send PM

Mi BoxMIUI 2015MIUI 6I Love MIUIMi 3MIUI 4th AnniversaryMIUI Fan from MalaysiaHumor MasterMIUI Photography GuruDie-hard MIUI FanAndroid GuruMIUI Photography Team Member

12:28, Aug-17-2014 | From PC
|
no Advanced mode?

Comment

allakazoo Nope. I believe this is a very early release. At least for the Camera App.  13:45, Aug-17-2014

Diamond Member

Credits
Device
Mi3
MIUI Version
V6.5.3.0.KXDMICD
Online time
71 Hours
Send PM

Awesome!MIUI Follower

13:03, Aug-17-2014 | From PC
|
definately they will improve in stable release.

Comment

allakazoo Definitely. This is still kinda raw.  13:54, Aug-17-2014

MIUI Beta Team - Global

Credits
Device
Mi 4
MIUI Version
Online time
130 Hours
Send PM
16:40, Aug-17-2014 | From PC
|
Excellent review. (y)

Credits
Device
MIUI Version
JHDMIBH37.0.1
Online time
3 Hours
Send PM
16:54, Aug-17-2014 | From PC
|
Good to see MIUI6 and the review of the new camera app. But the choice to save all photos to external SD card is still missing. Guess it's time they should do it ASAP.

Diamond Member

Credits
Device
Mi 3
MIUI Version
Online time
204 Hours
Send PM

MIUI Beta Team

17:39, Aug-17-2014 | From PC
|
still there is no Slow Motion Video recording?

Comment

turlututu Don't listen to me, i'm dumb. it's fast mode, they removed slow motion ? :(  22:55, Aug-18-2014
turlututu *Yes, it's here, check OP ;)  22:53, Aug-18-2014
turlututu yes it is, check OP post  22:52, Aug-18-2014

Credits
Device
Redmi Note 4X
MIUI Version
Online time
13 Hours
Send PM
17:47, Aug-17-2014 | Via mobile
|
nice review

MIUI 9 Alpha Team - China

Credits
Device
Mi 6
MIUI Version
Online time
385 Hours
Send PM

Mi KeyMi In-Ear HeadphonesAwesome!MIUI 6I Love MIUIMarshmallowFlashholicMi 3MIUI 4th AnniversaryMIUI Fan From PhilippinesFan Of MIUI Ex-Yu MIUI Fan from MalaysiaMIUI Fan From SingaporeMIUI Fan from IndiaMIUI 50 Million UsersHappy DiwaliUEFA EURO Medal2014 Christmas1400K Forum MembersFan Of MIUI India1 Million Forum App InstallsHappy Singles' DayThanksgiving Day300K Forum MembersMIUI 2017Summer Mi BunnyTechnology GuruHumor MasterMIUI Android 4.4 KitKatUpdates LoverMIUI FB Follower

17:57, Aug-17-2014 | From PC
|
Thanks !

Platinum Member

Credits
Device
Mi 5 Pro
MIUI Version
Online time
172 Hours
Send PM

Mi Band 2Xiaomi 7th AnniversaryAwesome!MIUI 6MarshmallowFantastic!I Love MIUIMi 1Mi 3RedmiMi 2Mi Note ProFan Of MIUI RussiaMIUI 100 Million Users500K Forum Members1st AnniversaryMIUI Fan From IndonesiaHilal Ramadan Fan Of MIUI Ex-Yu MIUI Fan From PhilippinesSingapore BirthdayMIUI Fan from IndiaXiaomi 5th AnniversaryMIUI 4th AnniversaryMIUI Fan From SingaporeMIUI Fan From Brazil2100K Forum MembersMIUI 7th AnniversaryMIUI Fan from Malaysia1 Million Forum App InstallsMerry Christmas90000 Forum MembersHappy New YearMIUI 9MIUI World TourMIUI V5 ReviewMIUI 50 Million UsersHappy DiwaliMIUI 20171500K Forum MembersFan Of MIUI IndiaGamer Mi BunnyI Love Mi BunnyAlpaca Mi Bunny MIUI Beta TeamMIUI Android 4.4 KitKatMIUI FollowerMIUI ExpertPioneer of MIUI English Forum Android GuruStar Of IconsForum Contest LoverHumor MasterUpdates LoverMi Lover MedalStar Of TechnologyMIUI FB FollowerMIUI Global Forum 2014MIUI Medals CollectorMost Active MIUIerDie-hard MIUI FanYouth PledgeOTA Feedback

18:12, Aug-17-2014 | From PC
|

Thanks !

Credits Management

Quick Reply Top Return to the list