[ Promote]
17956 50 |
09:59, Sep-22-2012
| |
|
Go to reply no.
This post was edited by chrone 20:58,Mar-15-2013

Update:
This method is no longer working on the newer build of MIUI start from Android 4.1.2. Talk and Google Play can be downloaded straight from MIUI Market.
For working Google Network Location, you could always flash the Gapps for Android 4.1.2 (WARNING: not really tested well whether this is compatible with MIUI or not).

Dear MIUIers,

Just a noob question, how to install Google Apps (GApps) and disable Xiaomi Framework Service, Super Market, and Xiaomi Sync since it's not useful for us outside China?

I know there's a lot of International build around the globe for my questioning above, but I want to run an Official ROM with Google Apps instead of modded build, just in order to report bugs and suggest future features request to the MIUI Developer Team. I also found out that by flashing GApps from goo.im on top of MIUI Official English 2.9.14 could not be updated through 2.9.21 OTA, it crashed with QuickSearchBox.apk and always reverted back to 2.9.14 when booting.

I'm now downloading several Internal build from UK, AU, and US to test which one is having not too many modification, close to stock Official English ROM, and which one has OTA update. I don't want to flash full ROM every week and reinstalling and resettings all the apps I got, very time consuming.

Any light on this issue would be much appreciated. Have a nice weekend you all! :)

Kind regards,

/chrone

--
update on current workaround on samsung galaxy nexus:
  • google and download gapps.zip for jelly bean, latest build for jelly bean is 20120726.
  • extract talk.apk, googleplaystore.apk, gmail.apk, googlefeedback.apk, and networklocation.apk from gapps.zip to a folder on your pc.
  • rename the networklocation.apk to googlenetworklocation.apk
  • copy all apk to your phone sdcard

using adb command line from pc and have usb debugging mode enabled on the phone:
  • adb devices (you're good to go if the phone is listed)
  • adb pull /system/app/NetworkLocation.apk c:\ (just for backup)
  • adb shell
  • su
  • mount -o remount,rw -t ext4 /dev/block/mmcblk0p1 /system
  • mv /system/app/NetworkLocation.apk /system/app/MiuiNetworkLocation.bak
  • cat /sdcard/GoogleNetworkLocation.apk > /system/app/GoogleNetworkLocation.apk
  • cat /sdcard/GoogleFeedback.apk > /system/app/GoogleFeedback.apk
  • pm list packages
  • pm disable com.miui.cloudservice
  • pm disable com.xiaomi.market
  • pm disable com.xiaomi.xmsf

restart the phone, and now you're good to go to install GooglePlayStore.apk, Gmail.apk, Talk.apk through built-in File Explorer, and for the other apps you'd like to download from Google Play Store.
please note that by using this method doesn't guarantee you'll get successful MIUI OTA update, and you'll loose the ability to login to Xiaomi account and not be able to do encrypted backup using built-in backup app. on other side, you'll get Google Talk and a working Maps.

do this at your own risk. :)

update:
i got OTA update to 2.9.28 just now, and it works flawlessly with this method. thanks all for the support! yay!
Favorite

Diamond Member

Credits
Device
Google Nexus 5
MIUI Version
Online time
152 Hours
Send PM
10:36, Sep-22-2012
|
chrone replied at 2012-9-22 10:59
Dear MIUIers,

Just a noob question, how to install Google Apps (GApps) and disable Xiaomi Framework ...

Dmiuiandroid is the closest to what you've described.

Rated by 1 person   Experience Reason  

chrone + 1 Great!

Experience +1  View Rating Log

Lennox | Xtreamer Mobile Developer
xtreamermobile.com
All-around Android nice guy :)

MIUI Fan Site

Xiaomi Dedicated!

Credits
Device
MI3
MIUI Version
Online time
272 Hours
Send PM

MIUI 50 Million UsersAndroid GuruFan of MIUI UKMerry Christmas 2013MIUI English Forum 2013100k Forum MembersMIUI Wallpaper ContestMIUI News TeamMIUI 3rd AnniversaryMIUI 20 Million UsersMIUI Community VIP90000 Forum MembersAwesome!OTA FeedbackI love MIUIPioneer of MIUI English Forum MIUI FollowerI love Mi Bunny

10:45, Sep-22-2012
|
Yep! :-) Thanks lenny :-)

Our ROM, no disrespect to any other fan site, is the most CLEAN in terms of nothing added that is beyond the minimums to make things functional in English. NetworkLocation, Gapps, other image improvements. We never hack or modify any framework or smali code.

100% pure build other than XML improves to strings and the above :-) we're just improving MIUI, and also at the same time feedback to developers is important to us and for the community, its why our web site and this one exists :-)

chrone + 1 Great!

miuiandroid.com (founder) / xiaomi.eu (unofficial)

Diamond Member

currahee

Credits
Device
Others
MIUI Version
Online time
153 Hours
Send PM

Fan of MIUI Indonesia

Author| 11:15, Sep-22-2012
|
I just finished downloading your ROM Mark, will there be any OTA update from your site? or i just dirty install the full ROM (for the next weekly build) on top of miuiandroid 2.9.21?

Thanks Mark! i hope in the future miuiandroid.com will provide OTA update which comes with smaller download file size. :D
And thanks to Lenny too for answering my question both on reply and pm. :)

Diamond Member

Credits
Device
Google Nexus 5
MIUI Version
Online time
152 Hours
Send PM
11:23, Sep-22-2012
|
miui-uk replied at 2012-9-22 11:45
Yep! :-) Thanks lenny :-)

Our ROM, no disrespect to any other fan site, is the most CLEAN in terms  ...

No probs, you know ive always given credit where its due, unlike some.

And no probs chrone, I'm here to help :)

chrone + 1 Great!

xtreamermobile.com

Diamond Member

currahee

Credits
Device
Others
MIUI Version
Online time
153 Hours
Send PM

Fan of MIUI Indonesia

Author| 11:26, Sep-22-2012
|
lenny_kano replied at 2012-9-22 10:23
No probs, you know ive always given credit where its due, unlike some.

And no probs chrone, I'm h ...

cool! love this forum. :)

btw, since miui uk rom it's the most clean rom, if i use that rom, could i post bug in here?

Diamond Member

Credits
Device
Google Nexus 5
MIUI Version
Online time
152 Hours
Send PM
11:29, Sep-22-2012
|
chrone replied at 2012-9-22 12:26

btw, since miui uk rom it's the most clean rom, if i use that rom, cou ...

I would think only if people confirm it to exist in the original rom would it be useful.
xtreamermobile.com

Diamond Member

Credits
Device
Google Nexus 5
MIUI Version
Online time
152 Hours
Send PM
11:29, Sep-22-2012
|
chrone replied at 2012-9-22 12:26

btw, since miui uk rom it's the most clean rom, if i use that rom, cou ...

I would think only if people confirm it to exist in the original rom would it be useful.
xtreamermobile.com

Diamond Member

currahee

Credits
Device
Others
MIUI Version
Online time
153 Hours
Send PM

Fan of MIUI Indonesia

Author| 11:34, Sep-22-2012
|
lenny_kano replied at 2012-9-22 10:29

oh okay then, no harm done with it. :D

Credits
Device
Galaxy Nexus
MIUI Version
Online time
29 Hours
Send PM
11:51, Sep-22-2012
|
The reason OTA doesn't work is because you flashed gapps, which replaces QuickSearchBox.apk. Then I guess the 2.9.21 OTA update script checked the signature of that file and saw that it does not match with the one in official 2.9.14 ROM and aborted the update.

A workaround is to remove QuickSearchBox.apk from gapps zip before flashing. If you ever need to use Google Now then you can install Google Search from Play Store.

chrone + 1 Great!

Credits Management

Quick Reply Top Return to the list