- 976 MI
- 12 MI
- Reg time
- Last login
- Online time
- 153 Hours
This post was edited by chrone 20:58,Mar-15-2013 |
This method is no longer working on the newer build of MIUI start from Android 4.1.2. Talk and Google Play can be downloaded straight from MIUI Market.
For working Google Network Location, you could always flash the Gapps for Android 4.1.2 (WARNING: not really tested well whether this is compatible with MIUI or not).
Just a noob question, how to install Google Apps (GApps) and disable Xiaomi Framework Service, Super Market, and Xiaomi Sync since it's not useful for us outside China?
I know there's a lot of International build around the globe for my questioning above, but I want to run an Official ROM with Google Apps instead of modded build, just in order to report bugs and suggest future features request to the MIUI Developer Team. I also found out that by flashing GApps from goo.im on top of MIUI Official English 2.9.14 could not be updated through 2.9.21 OTA, it crashed with QuickSearchBox.apk and always reverted back to 2.9.14 when booting.
I'm now downloading several Internal build from UK, AU, and US to test which one is having not too many modification, close to stock Official English ROM, and which one has OTA update. I don't want to flash full ROM every week and reinstalling and resettings all the apps I got, very time consuming.
Any light on this issue would be much appreciated. Have a nice weekend you all! :)
update on current workaround on samsung galaxy nexus:
- google and download gapps.zip for jelly bean, latest build for jelly bean is 20120726.
- extract talk.apk, googleplaystore.apk, gmail.apk, googlefeedback.apk, and networklocation.apk from gapps.zip to a folder on your pc.
- rename the networklocation.apk to googlenetworklocation.apk
- copy all apk to your phone sdcard
using adb command line from pc and have usb debugging mode enabled on the phone:
- adb devices (you're good to go if the phone is listed)
- adb pull /system/app/NetworkLocation.apk c:\ (just for backup)
- adb shell
- mount -o remount,rw -t ext4 /dev/block/mmcblk0p1 /system
- mv /system/app/NetworkLocation.apk /system/app/MiuiNetworkLocation.bak
- cat /sdcard/GoogleNetworkLocation.apk > /system/app/GoogleNetworkLocation.apk
- cat /sdcard/GoogleFeedback.apk > /system/app/GoogleFeedback.apk
- pm list packages
- pm disable com.miui.cloudservice
- pm disable com.xiaomi.market
- pm disable com.xiaomi.xmsf
restart the phone, and now you're good to go to install GooglePlayStore.apk, Gmail.apk, Talk.apk through built-in File Explorer, and for the other apps you'd like to download from Google Play Store.
please note that by using this method doesn't guarantee you'll get successful MIUI OTA update, and you'll loose the ability to login to Xiaomi account and not be able to do encrypted backup using built-in backup app. on other side, you'll get Google Talk and a working Maps.
do this at your own risk. :)
i got OTA update to 2.9.28 just now, and it works flawlessly with this method. thanks all for the support! yay!