MIUI Honorary Moderator

Credits
Device
Mi MIX 2S
Online time
1602 Hours
Send PM

Mi HomeMi VR HeadsetMi In-Ear HeadphonesMi Power BankMi BandMi BoxMi WiFi RouterMi MIXUnlock MedalMi Portable WiFiXiaomi 6 LaunchMi KeyMi Notebook AirXiaomi 7th AnniversaryMIUI 2016Fantastic!I Love MIUIMIUI 7Awesome!MIUI 6FlashholicMIUI 2015MarshmallowMIUI 8Mi 3Mi Note ProRedmi 2Xiaomi Mi 4Redmi NoteMi TVMi PadRedmiMi NoteMi 4cMi Pad 2 Win 10 EditionMi MIXMi Max 2Redmi Note 2Redmi 3Mi 4iOlympics MedalPokemon Master MedalFan Of  MIUI AzerbaijanSurge S12014 ChristmasHappy Singles' DayThanksgiving Day700K Forum MembersMIUI Fan From Philippines1st AnniversarySuper ThursdayMIUI Fan From SingaporeMerry ChristmasMIUI Fan from TurkeyMIUI 50 Million UsersMIUI Fan from MalaysiaMIUI Fan From IndonesiaMIUI Fan From BrazilMIUI V5 ReviewMIUI 5th AnniversaryDiwali 300K Forum MembersHappy Valentine's DayFan Of MIUI India600K Forum MembersMIUI 100 Million UsersHappy New YearXiaomi 5th Anniversary500K Forum MembersAtaturk MourningHilal Ramadan Happy DiwaliMIUI 4th Anniversary1 Million Forum MembersSingapore Birthday800K Forum MembersAlpaca Mi Bunny I Love Mi BunnySummer Mi BunnyMiPopGamer Mi BunnyMIUI Device TeamYouth PledgeInbox ZeroAndroid ElfMIUI FollowerMIUI Twitter FollowerOTA FeedbackDie-hard MIUI FanPioneer of MIUI English Forum Debate MasterMIUI G+ FollowerMi MIX 2Mi Lover MedalMi TalentMi A1Humor MasterMIUI Community VIPStar Of IconsMIUI Medals CollectorMIUI Android 4.4 KitKatAndroid GuruMIUI Global Forum 2014MIUI FB FollowerForum Contest LoverUpdates Lover

[Q & A] Privacy issues with Redmi Note claim to send photo and SMS secretly to China

[ Promote]
4846 14 |
01:57, Jul-31-2014 | From PC
|
|
Go to reply no.
I understand that lots of you worried that your privacy might have compromise.

Hence is this the clarification by Xiaomi Vice President Hugo Barra in his Facebook Page.

In case some of you can't read the text in the screenshot, below is the quote copy from Hugo Barra page in FaceBook.
Q: Online articles recently referred to some privacy issues with the Redmi Note, claiming that photos and text messages are sent to China secretly. Are they true?

A: An article severely misinterpreted a discussion thread asking about the Redmi Note's communication with a server in China. The article also neglected to refer to a Chinese version of this Q&A already posted on the Xiaomi Hong Kong Facebook page (https://www.facebook.com/Xiaomihongkong/posts/799059896795602). MIUI does not secretly upload photos and text messages.

MIUI requests public data from Xiaomi servers from time to time. These include data such as preset greeting messages (thousands of jokes, holiday greetings and poems) in the Messaging app and MIUI OTA update notifications, i.e. all non-personal data that does not infringe on user privacy.

Q: Does Xiaomi upload any personal data without my knowledge?

A: Xiaomi offers a service called Mi Cloud that enables users to back up and manage personal information in the cloud, as well as sync to other devices. This includes contacts, notes, text messages and photos. Mi Cloud is turned off by default. Users must log in with their Mi accounts and manually turn on Mi Cloud. They also have the option to only turn on backup for certain types of data. The use and storage of data in Mi Cloud fully respects the local laws of each country and region. Strict encryption algorithms are implemented to protect user privacy.

Q: Can I turn Mi Cloud off?
A: Yes. Just go to Settings > Mi Cloud to turn it off. If you would like to use a cloud back up service from another provider, there are options from Google, Dropbox and many others.

Q: Why should I believe you?

A: Xiaomi is serious about user privacy and takes all possible steps to ensure our Internet services adhere to our privacy policy. We do not upload any personal information and data without the permission of users. In a globalized economy, Chinese manufacturers' handsets are selling well internationally, and many international brands are similarly successful in China – any unlawful activity would be greatly detrimental to a company's global expansion efforts.

Credits: https://www.facebook.com/hbarra76/posts/10152156213696612
Xiaomi Privacy Policy: https://i.mi.com/privacy_en.htm

Favorite Share

Rated by 11 people   Experience Prestige Reason  

beypeople + 1 Thanks!
vincent_khoo + 1 Thanks!
DevilishZ + 1 Awesome!
Samyoungct + 8 + 2 Thanks!
shengchai + 1 Great!
Zonal + 5 Great!
jellytelly + 8 Thanks!
Nysho + 10 Awesome!
sianman + 10 Awesome!
だんご94 + 10 Fantastic!
ArchieMiTu + 1 Awesome!

Experience +56  Prestige +2  View Rating Log

Diamond Member

Credits
Device
Redmi 2
Online time
179 Hours
Send PM

Mi In-Ear HeadphonesMi BandMi Portable WiFiMi Power BankI Love MIUIMIUI 7Fantastic!RedmiMi 1Redmi 3Redmi Note 2Mi 4iRedmi 2Fan Of MIUI Ex-Yu MIUI Fan from MalaysiaSingapore BirthdayMIUI 4th AnniversaryMIUI Fan From IndonesiaMIUI Fan From PhilippinesMIUI V5 Review500K Forum Members300K Forum MembersMIUI Fan From SingaporeAlpaca Mi Bunny Summer Mi BunnyI Love Mi BunnyMIUI FollowerMIUI Medals CollectorStar Of IconsMIUI Android 4.4 KitKatOTA FeedbackMi Talent

02:42, Jul-31-2014 | From PC
|
This post was edited by Joker29 at 18:29, Aug-01-2014

https://plus.google.com/110023707389740934545/posts/9GL9h2fT8H6
Hugo Barra's Gplus post here.

Diamond Member

Credits
Device
Mi3
Online time
21 Hours
Send PM

Mi In-Ear HeadphonesI Love MIUIRedmiMi 2Redmi NoteMi 3MIUI Fan from MalaysiaMIUI Fan From Singapore300K Forum MembersMIUI Fan From IndonesiaMIUI V5 ReviewMIUI FollowerMIUI Android 4.4 KitKat

06:35, Jul-31-2014 | From PC
|
Xiaomi statement may sound like 'a standard operating procedure' reply to the public,

If you feel that you have alot of personal stuff and secret not to be known to public or anyone, do take a precaution action to safeguard your info.

If you choose to trust Xiaomi, please do so and don't complaint.
If you choose not to trust Xiaomi, it your right and no one can force you to, then yourself have to take initiative to safeguard on your own.

If what Xiaomi said turn out to be false, then they will be blame and boo by the public, and your info is spread out or on the Internet, Xiaomi reputation will be severely damage due to false statement given.

A company will not simply 'declare' a statement unless they really know what they are doing.
There also possible whereby the statement is partially true is some legally fineprint, acceptance concern, etc whereby you yourself have click accepted without really read through and understand it...

Finally, in the end it all comes to how much info you want to put online....  fxxxbook, Insxxxgram, and other social portal can also search your details...

just my 1cent thought.

Platinum Member

Credits
Device
Mi Note
Online time
197 Hours
Send PM

Mi WiFi RouterMi Power BankMi In-Ear HeadphonesMi Power Bank 10000MAH Mi KeyMi BoxMi Band 2Mi BandAwesome!MIUI 6I Love MIUIFlashholicMIUI 2015MIUI 8Fantastic!Mi NoteRedmi 2Redmi Note 2Redmi NoteMi 4iMi TVHappy Singles' Day1st AnniversarySingapore BirthdayMIUI Fan From SingaporeMIUI Fan from MalaysiaMIUI V5 ReviewMIUI 4th AnniversaryMIUI Fan From IndonesiaMIUI Fan From Philippines300K Forum MembersMIUI 50 Million UsersDiwali MIUI Fan from TurkeyMalaysia AnniversaryXiaomi 5th AnniversaryMIUI 100 Million Users1 Million Forum Members800K Forum Members700K Forum MembersMIUI 5th AnniversaryFan Of MIUI India500K Forum MembersHappy Valentine's DayFan Of  MIUI Azerbaijan1500K Forum MembersAlpaca Mi Bunny Summer Mi BunnyI Love Mi BunnyAndroid GuruMi Lover MedalMIUI FB FollowerMIUI G+ FollowerRedmi Quiz MasterMIUI FollowerTechnology GuruHumor MasterAndroid ElfOTA FeedbackDie-hard MIUI FanForum Contest LoverUpdates LoverDebate MasterScroll Of WisdomMIUI Global Forum 2014Most Active MIUIerPioneer of MIUI English Forum

09:39, Jul-31-2014 | From PC
|
Thanks for posting the response here. Managed to read it from Hugo's FB directly.
Might I suggest to stick this thread to the top of the forum, others may miss it.

Platinum Member

Ex MIUI Device Team Leader

Credits
Device
Mi3
Online time
446 Hours
Send PM

Mi Portable WiFiMi KeyMi In-Ear HeadphonesMi Power BankI Love MIUIAwesome!MIUI 6Redmi NoteMi 3MIUI Fan from MalaysiaMIUI 50 Million UsersMIUI Fan From PhilippinesFan Of MIUI Ex-Yu MIUI Fan From SingaporeMIUI 4th AnniversaryMIUI V5 ReviewI Love Mi BunnyMIUI Device TeamMIUI Beta TeamPioneer of MIUI English Forum OTA FeedbackStar Of MIUI Device TeamMIUI FollowerAndroid GuruMIUI Medals CollectorMIUI ExpertMIUI Android 4.4 KitKat

10:53, Jul-31-2014 | From PC
|
Awesome~!!
It's nice to know that the misunderstanding has been cleared~
Hugo did a really good job with the reply too~!
Thanks so much for the awesome share! ^_^

Ex MIUI Device Team Leader, Ex MIUI Beta Team. MI Fan from Singapore!
Ex MI3 Mod

MIUI Honorary Moderator

Strawberry Shortcake

Credits
Device
Redmi Note 3
Online time
632 Hours
Send PM

Mi BandMi BoxMi KeyMi In-Ear HeadphonesAwesome!I Love MIUIMIUI 6FlashholicMi 3Redmi NoteXiaomi Mi 4500K Forum MembersMIUI 4th AnniversaryHappy Valentine's DayMIUI Fan From SingaporeDiwali Singapore BirthdayMIUI 50 Million UsersThanksgiving DayHappy Singles' DayMid-Autumn FestivalHappy Diwali300K Forum MembersSummer Mi BunnyI Love Mi BunnyAlpaca Mi Bunny Gamer Mi BunnyMiPopGFX TeamAndroid ElfInbox ZeroSuper ModeratorPioneer of MIUI English Forum MIUI FollowerDie-hard MIUI FanMIUI Global Forum 2014MIUI Community VIPMIUI Photography GuruMIUI Ice Bucket ChallengeMIUI Android 4.4 KitKatMIUI FB FollowerUpdates LoverHumor MasterAndroid Guru

23:04, Jul-31-2014 | From PC
|
Wells at least Hugo has step out to clarify things.
I'm sure if someone ask him on Facebook further, he will reply too.

MIUI Honorary Moderator

Credits
Device
Redmi Note
Online time
257 Hours
Send PM

Mi BoxMi KeyAwesome!I Love MIUIMIUI 6Redmi NoteMi TVMi 3MIUI Fan From SingaporeMIUI Fan from MalaysiaFan Of MIUI Ex-Yu Fan Of MIUI IndiaMIUI 4th AnniversaryHilal Ramadan Singapore BirthdayMIUI Fan From PhilippinesMIUI 100 Million UsersMid-Autumn FestivalHappy DiwaliMIUI V5 ReviewHappy Singles' DaySummer Mi BunnyI Love Mi BunnyAlpaca Mi Bunny MIUI News TeamMIUI Android 4.4 KitKatMIUI Global Forum 2014Best ArticleMIUI FollowerMr. DependableStar MIUI News Team MemberPioneer of MIUI English Forum Die-hard MIUI Fan

11:21, Aug-01-2014 | From PC
|
Apple also has this issue and I think they have yet to clarify...

Platinum Member

Credits
Device
Others
Online time
47 Hours
Send PM

Mi In-Ear HeadphonesI Love MIUIAwesome!MIUI V5 ReviewFan Of MIUI India100k Forum MembersMIUI Fan from IndiaMIUI 50 Million UsersMIUI 4th AnniversaryHilal Ramadan Diwali Alpaca Mi Bunny Summer Mi BunnyI Love Mi BunnyPioneer of MIUI English Forum MIUI FollowerDie-hard MIUI FanAndroid GuruOTA Feedback

15:57, Aug-02-2014 | Via mobile
|
everyone is doing the same thing... u can't help someone is good or bad based on this...

Diamond Member

Credits
Device
Redmi Note 4 Qualcomm
Online time
49 Hours
Send PM

I Love MIUIMi 2Hilal Ramadan 300K Forum MembersI Love Mi BunnySummer Mi BunnyMIUI Device TeamMIUI FollowerAndroid GuruMIUI Android 4.4 KitKatPioneer of MIUI English Forum Die-hard MIUI FanDebate Master

11:29, Aug-04-2014 | From PC
|
nothing is private if you go online...IMHO

Super moderator

不忘初心,方得始终

Credits
Device
Mi MIX
Online time
8650 Hours
Send PM

Mijia Qi CycleMijia Story TellerMi Bluetooth SpeakerUnlock MedalMi HomeMi Kids WatchMi HeadphonesMi Band 2Magic CubeXiaomi 7th AnniversaryMIUI Devices ContestMarshmallowAwesome!MIUI 8MIUI 6I Love MIUIFantastic!MIUI 7MIUI 2016MIUI 20154 Million Forum MembersRedmi Note 3Rocket to FutureMIUI Fan from MalaysiaMIUI 2017Singapore Merlion MedalSuper WednesdayRooster Year of 2017Super MondayMIUI 50 Million UsersMIUI World TourMIUI 300 WeeksSuper ThursdayMIUI Forum AppMIUI Lucky Friday1 Million Forum App InstallsMIUI Weekly PollI Love 2016Merry Christmas1 Million Forum MembersMIUI 6th AnniversaryMIUI 5th AnniversaryXiaomi 6th AnniversaryWomen's Day MedalPuzzle MasterMIUI SXiaomi 5th AnniversaryMIUI 100 Million UsersMid-Autumn FestivalMIUI 4th AnniversarySingapore BirthdayThanksgiving Day2014 ChristmasHappy New YearHappy Valentine's DaySurge S1Pokemon Master MedalMIUI V5 ReviewFan Of MIUI GreeceSuper Sunday3500K Forum MembersCamera Filter Guru MedalMIUI 7th AnniversaryMIUI 91900K Forum MembersMIUI Happy MedalSuper Friday1st Anniversary5 Million Forum App InstallsHappy Holi MedalGamer Mi BunnyMiPopI Love Mi BunnyMIUI Beta TeamMIUI News TeamMi Lover MedalMIUI FollowerStar WarsMIUI 8th AnniversaryMIUI 10MIUI Halloween 201813 Million Forum Members2017 Annual AwardsXiaomi 8th AnniversaryMr. Dependable8 Million Forum MembersMIUI ExpertMIUI Weekly Devices QuizMIUI Halloween 2017Star MIUI News Team MemberMIUI G+ FollowerMIUI Twitter FollowerScroll Of WisdomYouth PledgeMIUI FB FollowerAndroid ElfMi Story TellerMi TalentMIUI Global Forum 2014Updates LoverDebate MasterTechnology GuruSuper ModeratorPioneer of MIUI English Forum Die-hard MIUI FanMost Active MIUIerMIUI Android 4.4 KitKatAndroid GuruForum Contest LoverHumor Master

12:09, Aug-04-2014 | From PC
|
Q: Why should I believe you?
because we always trust you ;)
Click [Reply] Below To Notify Me

Credits Management

Quick Reply Top Return to the list