Elite Member

Credits
Device
Mi MIX 2S
Online time
214 Hours
Send PM

Unlock MedalFantastic!Mi 5MIUI Device TeamMIUI Device ExpertMi TalentMi Lover MedalDebate Master

[Tools, Tips & Tutorials] [Device Team] Locked Bootloader- Flashing Official ROM From Unofficial/Fake ROM

[ Promote]
116645 410 |
17:34, Jul-13-2016 | From PC
|
|
Go to reply no.
This post was edited by MSB2016 at 22:24, Jul-14-2016

Hello Everyone,

On daily bases I see a lot of users struggling hard to flash on their phone official MIUI ROM - China or Global from unofficial/fake ROM for devices with locked bootloader.
Flashing official ROM from Fake ROM on locked bootloader can be complicated task.
This thread were made to gather all the known solutions we have today in one place and to help everyone to flash the official ROM on their device in the easiest way possible - So let's get started.

I used two tutorials that our Moderator invested time to write them so I would like to thank him first - @mitch002

How to flash official ROM on device that running fake/reseller ROM:

How can you know if you are running fake/reseller ROM - Sadly there is no one simple answer for that, but there are simple indications:
  • Official Stable ROM will have always 4 digits and official Developers (Beta) ROM will always have 3 digits.
For example Stable ROM will use 7.5.2.0 but never 7.5.2.0.0 and Developers (Beta) ROM will use 6.5.30 but never 6.5.30.0
Here you have an example of fake ROM:
165231m39f78k449zdyu9c.png

• Another indication you can see it's when you ROM version stating "Global" but the version code is actually China. For example as you can see in the screen shot above "MIUI Global 7.3 | Stable 7.3.4.0.0 MAACNDE - The word Global with the combination of "CN" impossible as CN is shortcut for China.
  • There are more indications - But those two should be enough for most cases.

So how to flash official ROM from fake ROM:

• This is probably the most complex solution as there is really no magic solution here. So I will suggest different ways that worked in different situation - Please follow one by one and find the one that working for you.

Option One:

Try the updater App - Some of you will immediately say "this is fake ROM the updater app will not work". Well from you are right it's not working most of the times but there are cases when people manage to update fake ROM to official ROM using only the updater app.
In order to try this method go here: http://en.miui.com/download-299.html#435 download the ROM you want copy it to your phone, launch the updater app, click on the "..." button and click on "Choose update package", then choose the file you copied. Try all 4 ROM's before moving to the next method (Global/China Dev & Stable).

Option Two:

You tried the updater options and nothing worked, so the next step will be to try the Mi PC Suite method - again this method working sometimes and sometimes not. Probably because some windows/drivers issues. My suggestion is if the first step didn't work try this method again and again with different computers and different USB connections.
The reason I'm pushing you to try this method so many times is because this method is 100% safe and not complicated - if this one failed you will have to go to more complicated methods.

You can find very good tutorial on the next link (Big thanks to the creator of the thread (@mitch002 )
http://en.miui.com/thread-309629-1-1.html

Option Three:

If the first two methods didn't work, well here it will be a bit more complicated, since there is only two more methods left.
This step is also 100% safe but require from you to buy special cable in order to flash your phone with official ROM (Second method from the link below).
*** Please note you can also try to unlock your bootloader from fake ROM, it could work because the fake ROM's are based on China ROM version (First method from them link below).

You can find very good tutorial on the next link (Big thanks to the creator of the thread @mitch002)
http://en.miui.com/thread-299790-1-1.html

Option Four - This method is not safe, use it only as last option and on your own responsibility.

Two things you need to know:
  • This method can brick your phone! Simple mistake, wrong drivers installed on your computer and your phone is bricked.
  • Please note that the new MIUI versions (7.3.X.X and above) today already blocking this method (EDL), but if you have the old version you can use it.
This method is here only in order to make this guide complete, just to make it clear I'm not recommending using this method!
This method using "download' mode of the device (some kind of emergency mode) and by this you are actually bypassing the locked bootloader in order to flash the ROM - The name of this mode is "EDL mode".
ForYou decide to use this method search the forum and find a guide by yourself.

Hope This guide will help other members of this forum.

Favorite153 Share

Comment

GR33dyBlackie hi sir. thank u for the useful guide. and thanks for the help in mi 5sub-forum. keep up the good work please.;) cheers  11:17, Jul-15-2016

Rated by 84 people   Experience Prestige Reason  

karma44 + 1 Great!
TyrantSpike + 1 Great!
KoKyE21 + 2 Thanks!
mhdknight + 1 Thanks!
alexei89 + 1 Great!
arya5 + 1 Awesome!
jcunltd + 2 Awesome!
1697415187 + 1 Great!
kostas07 + 1 <font><font>Большой!</fon
KoHsetGyi + 2 Awesome!
Barrecheguren + 1 Great!
Itai.Gan + 5 Great!
AppsPortables + 1 Awesome!
dev393 + 1 Thanks!
ThorstenD + 1 Thanks! That's a helpful guide!
paulpgk + 1 Thanks!
Bydlack + 1 Great!
MarioC88 + 1 Thanks!
1671953536 + 1 Thanks!
1629880169 + 2 <font><font>Wspaniały!</f
NoobxLinux + 1 Thanks!
Maraudeur + 1 Awesome!
GrinDeeS + 1 Благодаря!
Abhie131180 + 1 Agreed!
Amtees + 1 <font><font>Согласовано!<
mdronov1977 + 1 Great!
markito + 1 Great!

Experience +194  Prestige +24  View Rating Log

Credits
Device
Online time
4 Hours
Send PM
06:46, Aug-01-2016 | From PC
|
MSB2016 replied at 2016-7-17 23:58
You are right, but this is not the only reason. With locked bootloader if someone steals your phone ...

I'm sorry, but I'm with Portlandbear on this 100%. Xiaomi shafted its users big time.

Not only did they allow resellers to flash our phones (prior to 7.3.x), but it hasn't done anything to help consumers stuck with affected phones. Zero. Nothing. Nada.

Mi suite doesn't even support Android 6.0, yet you've already got loads of devices running 6.0 in the wild. I had a similar issue with my old Mi4c - the suite just wouldn't work with it for months. Xiaomi was shipping phones that could not be recognized by its own software? And now it's doing it again?! That's a great way of losing customers.

Over the past couple of years, I recommended Xiaomi devices to loads of people, more than a dozen of my friends and family use them. Can I recommend them now? Of course not, because chances are they will be stuck with faulty ROMs which they can't replace (at least not on their own - and guess who they'll bug once they figure it out?)

And no, you don't get to use security as an argument or cop-out. These "fake" ROMs do not receive updates, and some of them ship with malware. We are talking about hundreds of thousands, or probably millions of compromised devices that will be inherently unsafe. You think users will be safer with pre-installed malware and no updates, on the off chance someone could steal their phone? Seriously!?

Late last year, I flashed a Mi4c and a Redmi Note 2 while having coffee with my brother. Now it looks like I'll need a week or two to sort out my own phone: apply for the unlock, then wait, and then hope it will work (although I doubt Mi Suite will be ready by then).

It's a shame because I really enjoy Xiaomi phones (and other devices!), but if you keep treating your consumers like this, I'll be the first to jump ship and get a OnePlus or ZUK. Why would I stick with a brand that's intentionally undermining the security of their users? Because that's what you are doing by keeping affected devices locked and asking us to jump through a bunch of hoops to get an official ROM. How many people will brick their phones in the process? How many will become frustrated and ditch Xiaomi?

I just hope you sacked the genius who thought this would be such a great idea. If you did, let us know - just so I can make sure my company doesn't accidentally hire them, because they've got no place in tech.

Rated by 4 people   Experience Reason  

KoKyE21 + 2 Agreed!
kostas07 + 2 <font><font class=""&
R4F4 + 1 Agreed!
kaciak + 1 Agreed!

Experience +6  View Rating Log

Credits
Device
Online time
1 Hours
Send PM
22:23, Jul-04-2017 | Via mobile
|
Holaaa.. I need help. I have Mi5 with fake ROM. I want to change it to an official one. I want to try the first option. Shoud I run it directly from updater or do I have to unlock bootloader first before run the updater manually? Thanks for your help

Platinum Member

Credits
Device
Mi 5 Pro
Online time
55 Hours
Send PM

Mi HeadphonesXiaomi 6 LaunchMi  BunnyMagic CubeUnlock MedalXiaomi 7th AnniversaryMIUI 2016MIUI Devices ContestFantastic!MIUI 8MIUI 6MIUI 7Awesome!FlashholicRedmi 3Mi 4cRedmi 2Fan Of MIUI UkraineFan Of MIUI RussiaMIUI 2017Xiaomi 6th AnniversaryMIUI 9MIUI Forum AppHilal Ramadan 3500K Forum MembersWomen's Day MedalSuper WednesdaySuper ThursdayRocket to FutureMIUI Fan from MalaysiaI Love Mi BunnyGamer Mi BunnyYouth PledgeMi Bunny Game Master MIUI Expert10 Million Forum MembersMIUI Quick Discussion25 Million StrongPioneer of MIUI English Forum SurpriseMIUI FollowerMIUI FB FollowerDebate MasterTechnology GuruMi Story TellerMaster Of TechnologyMIUI Android 4.4 KitKatAndroid ElfDie-hard MIUI FanAndroid GuruScroll Of WisdomMi Lover MedalForum Contest LoverUpdates Lover

18:19, Feb-08-2017 | From PC
|
AhiretExpress replied at 2016-8-1 06:46
I'm sorry, but I'm with Portlandbear on this 100%. Xiaomi shafted its users big time.

Not only di ...

I think this is why they keep losing market share..
I read yesterday that Xiaomi market share down to Nr. 5 after Oppo, Vivo, Huawei and Apple in 2016!
Yes, it can still be called a flagship killer, since its specs are on par with other famous brand with less price to pay. But the development on software side are just insanely out of track :(...

Elite Member

Credits
Device
Mi MIX 2S
Online time
214 Hours
Send PM

Unlock MedalFantastic!Mi 5MIUI Device TeamMIUI Device ExpertMi TalentMi Lover MedalDebate Master

Author| 18:29, Nov-17-2016 | From PC
|
mtssantos replied at 2016-11-16 10:27
Why MI PC SUITE is taking too much time to charge it???

Already have passed two hours and it contin ...

Hi,

Just buy the DIY cable (if your phone running snapdragon) and it's the fastest and easiest solution.

Elite Member

Credits
Device
Mi MIX 2S
Online time
214 Hours
Send PM

Author| 19:13, Sep-25-2016 | From PC
|
JogiBrain replied at 2016-9-24 20:37
Thx. Where Can we Buy These Special cables?

How is giving the reseller this Money? Xiaomi ?

Hi,

For the cable try searching by yourself "Deep flashing cable" - You can find it if you want.
About the money for installing fake ROM's are you seriously asking if Xiaomi is giving money to shops for installing fake ROM? Is it sounds logical for you that Xiaomi wants people get fake ROM's full of advertisements spywares? The people that developing those fakes ROM's are paying the money for the installation.

Rated by 1 person   Experience Reason  

JogiBrain + 1 Thanks!

Experience +1  View Rating Log

Elite Member

Credits
Device
Mi MIX 2S
Online time
214 Hours
Send PM

Author| 15:44, Aug-22-2016 | From PC
|
ouaille replied at 2016-8-22 15:41
When will bootloader unlock be possible for mi5 running official global stable?
Today only solution ...

Hi,

It's possible to unlock using Global official - I managed to unlock it from this version.

Credits
Device
Redmi 3S Prime
Online time
14 Hours
Send PM

Mi BandYeelight Bedside LampAwesome!Fantastic!MIUI 8MIUI 7Redmi Note 3MIUI Marathon MedalMIUI 9Fan Of MIUI IndiaMIUI Fan from MalaysiaMIUI Fan From BrazilUEFA EURO MedalGamer Mi BunnyMi Lover MedalMi Story TellerYouth Pledge

21:41, Jul-15-2016 | From PC
|
Who can sell phone with fake ROM?

Super moderator

To be the BEST Xiaomi Reviewer

Credits
Device
Mi 8
Online time
984 Hours
Send PM

Mi WiFi RouterXiaomi 6 LaunchMi BandNinebot MiniMi Power Bank 10000MAH Mi Power BankMi MIXMi HomeUnlock MedalMi Notebook AirMijia Story TellerMi Air PurifierMijia IHP Rice CookerMi TV 70Mi Bluetooth SpeakerMi Kids WatchMi Water PurifierMi BoxMijia Qi CycleMi USB FanMi T-ShirtXiaomi 7th AnniversaryMIUI Devices ContestI Love MIUIFantastic!Awesome!MIUI 8MarshmallowMIUI 2016MIUI 7Mi MIXRedmi Note 4XMi TVMi 3Mi 5sMi 4SRedmi ProRedmi Note 4Mi Note ProMi 4cRedmi Note 2Mi 5Mi 5 ProMi Pad 2 Win 10 EditionMi Pad 2Merry ChristmasXiaomi 6th Anniversary10 Million Forum PostsMIUI Happy Medal5 Million Forum App Installs800K Forum MembersMIUI 91400K Forum Members1500K Forum MembersMIUI 6th AnniversaryMi Live MedalMIUI Fan From NepalMIUI 50 Million UsersMIUI 7th AnniversaryFan Of MIUI IndiaMIUI Fan From PhilippinesMIUI Lucky FridayMIUI Weekly PollPokemon Master MedalSurge S1MIUI Philippines Fan MeetupHappy Valentine's DayHappy New YearI Love 2016Super SundaySuper FridayRooster Year of 2017Rocket to FutureMIUI 2017MIUI Fan From SingaporeXiaomi 5th AnniversarySummer Mi BunnyGamer Mi BunnyI Love Mi BunnyMIUI Device TeamMaster Of TechnologyMIUI 8th AnniversaryMi 8Black SharkXiaomi 8th AnniversaryRedmi Note 5A/Prime2017 Annual AwardsMi Story TellerDebate MasterMIUI Device ExpertScroll Of WisdomMi TalentStar WarsMr. DependableMIUI FollowerMi Lover MedalRingtone Star Technology GuruMIUI Medals CollectorDie-hard MIUI Fan

20:56, Jul-13-2016 | From PC
|
welcome to device team!

Comment

MSB2016 Thank you :)  21:00, Jul-13-2016

Elite Member

Credits
Device
Mi MIX 2S
Online time
214 Hours
Send PM

Author| 15:08, Jul-14-2016 | From PC
|
Read permissions removed - thread open to everyone.

MIUI Beta Team - Global

Credits
Device
Mi 4
Online time
424 Hours
Send PM

Mi HeadphonesMijia 360° Panoramic CameraXiaomi 6 LaunchMi  BunnyMi Bluetooth SpeakerMi HomeUnlock MedalMi WiFiMi MIXMi Band 2Mi BandMi In-Ear HeadphonesMi WiFi RouterMi BoxXiaomi 7th AnniversaryMIUI 6I Love MIUIMIUI 7MIUI Devices ContestMIUI 2015Fantastic!MIUI 8Awesome!AnTuTuMIUI 2016FlashholicMi TVRedmi NoteXiaomi Mi 44 Million Forum MembersRedmi Note 2Mi 4cFan Of MIUI GreeceXiaomi 6th AnniversaryUEFA EURO MedalXiaomi 5th AnniversaryMIUI Fan From Brazil800K Forum Members600K Forum MembersMIUI 5th AnniversaryHilal Ramadan 700K Forum MembersMIUI Fan From Singapore900K Forum MembersHappy New Year1 Million Forum MembersMerry ChristmasThanksgiving Day500K Forum MembersMIUI 100 Million UsersMIUI 6th AnniversaryRocket to FutureSuper Tuesday300K Forum MembersSuper Saturday5 Million Forum App InstallsSuper MondayPuzzle MasterMIUI 20173500K Forum MembersHappy Singles' Day1st AnniversaryMIUI Fan From IndonesiaMIUI Happy MedalMIUI 9MIUI 7th AnniversarySuper Thursday3 Million Forum MembersMIUI Forum App1500K Forum MembersMi Live MedalMid-Autumn FestivalMIUI 4th AnniversaryMIUI 300 WeeksPokemon Master Medal1400K Forum MembersMIUI 50 Million Users10 Million Forum PostsSingapore BirthdayHappy Valentine's DayRooster Year of 2017Fan Of MIUI BangladeshI Love Mi BunnyAlpaca Mi Bunny Gamer Mi BunnyMiPopMIUI Beta TeamMIUI FollowerXiaomi 8th AnniversaryMIUI Expert8 Million Forum MembersStar Of TechnologyScroll Of WisdomSurpriseMIUI KingMaster Of TechnologyMost Active MIUIer9 Million Forum MembersMIUI Weekly Devices QuizMIUI SuperstarAndroid ElfTechnology GuruDie-hard MIUI FanMi Bunny Game Master MIUI FB FollowerMi TalentForum Contest LoverMIUI Twitter FollowerAndroid GuruHumor MasterInbox ZeroMIUI Android 4.4 KitKatPioneer of MIUI English Forum MIUI Medals CollectorDebate MasterMIUI G+ FollowerMi Lover Medal

17:55, Jul-14-2016 | From PC
|
Thanks a lot!

Diamond Member

Credits
Device
Redmi Note 5/Pro
Online time
18 Hours
Send PM

Mi HeadphonesMIUI 10Discuss HereDie-hard MIUI FanDebate MasterMIUI Medals CollectorScroll Of Wisdom

21:01, Jul-14-2016 | From PC
|
Great Post!!!

Little help needed here. I have Redmi 3 Pro, which i suspect pre-instelled with Fake ROM. I'd like to use Official ROM, but it seems Redmi 3 Pro is not listed. They just show Redmi 3 and Redmi 3S/X. Which ROM should i use?!

Thanks in advance.

Elite Member

Credits
Device
Mi MIX 2S
Online time
214 Hours
Send PM

Author| 21:05, Jul-14-2016 | From PC
|
iccha21 replied at 2016-7-14 21:01
Great Post!!!

Little help needed here. I have Redmi 3 Pro, which i suspect pre-instelled  ...

You need to use the Redmi 3 ROM

MIUI Device Team

Don’t be so quick to judge me.

Credits
Device
POCO F1
Online time
1222 Hours
Send PM

Mi MIXYeelight Bedside LampMi  BunnyMi HomeMi Bluetooth SpeakerXiaomi 6 LaunchUnlock MedalMi Power Bank 10000MAH Mijia Electric ScooterMi In-Ear HeadphonesMi HeadphonesMi Band 2Mijia 360° Panoramic CameraMi Kids WatchMi ScaleMi Power BankMi BandMijia Story TellerXiaomi 7th AnniversaryMIUI 8Awesome!MIUI 2016I Love MIUIMIUI Devices ContestFantastic!MIUI 7MarshmallowAnTuTuRedmi Note 3Mi 4cMi TVRedmi NoteMi Max 21500K Forum Members1 Million Forum Members1700K Forum MembersWomen's Day MedalHappy DiwaliDiwali 1800K Forum Members5 Million Forum App InstallsMIUI Forum AppMid-Autumn FestivalMIUI Fan From MyanmarMIUI 6th AnniversaryPokemon Master MedalUEFA EURO MedalOlympics MedalMIUI Fan from IndiaMIUI 300 WeeksFan Of MIUI BangladeshFan Of MIUI India1400K Forum Members3500K Forum MembersSuper SundayMIUI 20171900K Forum MembersRooster Year of 2017Happy Holi MedalSuper FridaySuper MondayPuzzle MasterSurge S13 Million Forum Members10 Million Forum PostsHappy New YearMerry ChristmasFan Of MIUI SpainMIUI World TourCamera Filter Guru MedalMIUI 20 Million UsersAtaturk MourningMIUI 100 Million Users500K Forum Members90000 Forum MembersMIUI Happy MedalRocket to FutureI Love 2016Fan Of MIUI ItalyMIUI 9Summer Mi BunnyGamer Mi BunnyMiPopI Love Mi BunnyMIUI Device TeamStar WarsPioneer of MIUI English Forum Die-hard MIUI FanTechnology GuruMost Active MIUIerMIUI Android 4.4 KitKatMIUI KingMIUI Twitter FollowerMIUI Quick Discussion2017 Annual AwardsOreoXiaomi 8th AnniversaryWallpaper StarRedmi Note 5/ProInbox Zero8 Million Forum MembersStar Of IconsMIUI FB FollowerMIUI FollowerScroll Of WisdomMaster Of TechnologyMi Story TellerMIUI ExpertForum Contest LoverMi TalentMi Lover MedalMIUI Medals CollectorRingtone Star Debate MasterStar Of TechnologyYouth PledgeMIUI Device ExpertAndroid GuruAndroid Elf

22:10, Jul-14-2016 | From PC
|
Good tutorial bro keep going

Diamond Member

Credits
Device
Mi 3
Online time
151 Hours
Send PM

Mi HomeYeelight Bedside LampUnlock MedalMi WiFi Router MiniMi BandFantastic!Awesome!MIUI 8MIUI 2016MIUI 7I Love MIUIMi 3Mi 4cRedmi 1SRedmi 4XRedmi Note 2Mi 5sMi 51400K Forum Members5 Million Forum Posts1300K Forum MembersMIUI Forum AppMid-Autumn FestivalMIUI Fan From VietnamUEFA EURO MedalOlympics MedalMIUI 300 WeeksXiaomi 6th AnniversaryRedmi Quiz MasterInbox ZeroDie-hard MIUI FanDebate MasterStar Of IconsMIUI Medals CollectorStar Of TechnologyMIUI Android 4.4 KitKatTechnology GuruMi Lover MedalScroll Of Wisdom

22:21, Jul-14-2016 | From PC
|
Good tuto,thanks

Gold Member

Credits
Device
Online time
18 Hours
Send PM

MarshmallowMIUI 8Fantastic!Pokemon Master MedalMIUI 6th AnniversaryMIUI 300 Weeks1500K Forum Members1900K Forum MembersMIUI Beta TeamMIUI KingMIUI FollowerTechnology Guru

22:24, Jul-14-2016 | From PC
|
Thanks for the information appreciate

Diamond Member

Credits
Device
Redmi Note 3
Online time
40 Hours
Send PM

Mi Bluetooth SpeakerMi BandYeelight Bedside LampMIUI 8I Love MIUIAwesome!MIUI Devices ContestFantastic!Redmi Note 3Mi TV1400K Forum MembersUEFA EURO MedalMIUI 9Summer Mi BunnyTechnology Guru8 Million Forum MembersForum Contest LoverStar Of TechnologyMi Lover MedalMaster Of TechnologyDie-hard MIUI FanMi Story TellerMIUI FollowerMIUI Android 4.4 KitKat

23:16, Jul-14-2016 | From PC
|

Thanks

Rated by 1 person   Experience Reason  

junaid.ahmed + 1 Awesome!

Experience +1  View Rating Log

Credits Management

Quick Reply Top Return to the list