MIUI Honorary Moderator

Life's 2 short 4 bad thoughts

Credits
Device
Mi 5
Online time
3562 Hours
Send PM

Mi In-Ear HeadphonesMi BoxMi Power BankMi KeyMi Portable WiFiMi BandMi WiFi RouterMIUI 2015Awesome!MIUI Devices ContestFlashholicMIUI 6I Love MIUIMIUI 7Fantastic!MIUI 2016Mi PadMi 4iRedmi 2Mi Note ProRedmiXiaomi Mi 4Mi 2Rocket to Future1st Anniversary2014 ChristmasFan Of MIUI Bangladesh1 Million Forum MembersRooster Year of 2017Thanksgiving DayHappy Singles' DayFan Of MIUI Ex-Yu 300K Forum MembersFan of MIUI MyanmarMIUI Fan from IndiaMIUI Fan From PhilippinesAtaturk MourningDiwali Fan Of  MIUI AzerbaijanMIUI Forum App800K Forum MembersFan Of MIUI India700K Forum Members900K Forum MembersHappy Valentine's DayFan Of MIUI GermanyHilal Ramadan 3500K Forum MembersMerry Christmas500K Forum MembersMIUI 4th Anniversary600K Forum MembersHappy New YearMIUI Fan From SingaporeMIUI Font LoverSummer Mi BunnyGamer Mi BunnyAlpaca Mi Bunny I Love Mi BunnyClass A Beta TeamMIUI Device TeamMIUI Beta TeamMIUI Beta Team VIPStar Of  MIUI Beta TeamMIUI Community VIPMIUI ExpertMIUI Android 4.4 KitKatAndroid GuruMr. DependableMIUI Photography GuruPioneer of MIUI English Forum MIUI FollowerStar Of MIUI Device TeamMIUI Device ExpertOTA FeedbackRedmi Quiz MasterMi TalentMi Bunny Game Master MIUI Twitter FollowerHumor MasterMIUI FB FollowerForum Contest LoverUpdates LoverMaster Of TechnologyMIUI Honorary ModeratorTechnology GuruDebate MasterAndroid ElfMIUI Global Forum 2014Star Of IconsMost Active MIUIerSuper ModeratorMIUI Ice Bucket ChallengeDie-hard MIUI FanYouth PledgeInbox ZeroTheme TalentScroll Of WisdomMr. Post the Most

[Tips & Tutorials] [works on MIUI 6 & 7] How to root your Mi Pad by simply using MI-Recovery

[ Promote]
486662 11131 |
07:54, Jul-30-2014 | From PC
|
|
Go to reply no.
This post was edited by AndroidFuchs at 08:44, Oct-23-2015

How to root your Mi Pad
by simply using MI-Recovery

Summary:

This simple step-by-step guide is about how to root the Developer ROM of your Mi Pad by only using the stock MI-Recovery. There is another guide which describes how this can be achieved by using the tool VRoot via USB connection from a PC, but I do not like installing a software on my PC about which I do not know with 99% certainty what else (besides rooting) it might be doing.

Prerequisites:
  • Mi Pad with Stock MI-Recovery 2.0.1
  • file update.zip (attached)
      Please reply to view this thread.

Steps:
  • Download the file update.zip (according to my experience the download via browser on phone/tablet often is not working properly or results in a corrupt zip file, thus I would advice to download it using your PC)
  • Copy the file update.zip to the root folder of the internal storage ('Computer\MI PAD\Internal storage'  in case of a USB connection to a PC, mind that this is NOT the root folder of your SD Card) like shown in the below picture on PC and on your Mi Pad:

Explorer_Screenshot20140730001850.png

Screenshot_2014-07-20-21-37-06.png

• Boot your Mi Pad into MI-Recovery:

i) Long press the Power button and select & confirm Reboot

Reboot_Screenshot_2014-07-29-19-29-07.png

Confirm_Screenshot_2014-07-29-19-29-12.png

ii) Immediately after the white turning circle disappears press the Volume Up button and keep it pressed

Screenshot_2014-07-29-19-29-19.png

iii) Your Mi Pad will boot and show the MI logo, you can now release the power button

IMG_20140730_003225_HDR.jpg

iv) The MI-Recovery will be shown, you navigate up and down using the Volume buttons and select with the Power button
  • In the MI-Recovery navigate to 'English' and select the entry

IMG_20140730_005209_HDR.jpg

• Select'Install update.zip to System One' and confirm with YES. The progress bar is increasing during the installation, don't get afraid if it gets shortly stuck at 98%

IMG_20140730_003317_HDR.jpg

IMG_20140730_005249_HDR.jpg

• After you got the green 'Update complete!' message select Back

IMG_20140730_005309_HDR.jpg

• Select and confirm 'Reboot', in the next menu select 'Reboot to System One (latest)'

IMG_20140730_003420.jpg

• After the reboot has finished, start the new app SuperSU and check that it works properly by launching an app which requests root permission (like Titanium Backup) and confirm the Superuser request with Grant

Screenshot_2014-07-30-01-03-28.png

Screenshot_2014-07-30-01-04-44.png

• Enjoy your rooted Mi Pad

Important:
So far my experience is that after each OTA update you will need to apply root again, thus keep the update.zip file in the internal storage (if you install other zip files via recovery simply rename it).

Caution:
This is a safe process,
but I am not responsible for anything bad
that happens to your tablet

Credits:
Credits go to Chainfire for his app SuperSU

Favorite107 Share

Rated by 93 people   Experience Prestige Reason  

Bartolomey + 1 Thanks!
pierric + 1 Thanks!
brickmenot + 1 Thanks!
Jankevin + 2 Fantastic!
donater + 1 Awesome!
DadMad + 1 Thanks!
ZetFos + 1 Great!
Maximal_Xen + 1 Thanks!
spaceman_sy + 1 Thanks!
Xxxx91 + 1 Great!
Chencho + 1 Thanks!
racerfx1912 + 1 Awesome!
fixwork + 1 Thanks!
chrissurya + 1 Thanks!
proridecrew + 1 Great!
abhinav777 + 1 Thanks!
Hendrysyamsudin + 1 Thanks!
chooper10 + 1 Thanks!
fawadmirza + 2 Thanks!
bisbiglio + 1 Thanks!
rafal.sl + 1 Thanks!
chief876 + 1 Thanks!
andrey@records + 1 Fantastic!
moeztuerk + 2 Great!
Kast0r + 1 Thanks!
xyecoc + 1 Great!
MKing.MKing + 1 Fantastic!

Experience +212  Prestige +10  View Rating Log

Credits
Device
Online time
2 Hours
Send PM
18:00, Jul-31-2014 | From PC
|
I tried this method but there seems to be an error.  When I open SuperSU, the error say, "There is no SU binary installed, and SuperSU cannot install it.  This is a problem!  If you just upgraded to Android 4.3, you need to manually re-root - consult te relevant forums for your device!"

Please help!

Credits
Device
Online time
27 Hours
Send PM
18:24, Feb-23-2015 | From PC
|
gigaton replied at 2015-2-23 15:42
Are you guys getting results out of this method? I;m still trying this on the global MIUI rom for Mi ...

Same here.

Went through the entire process, as described in the OP. But still SuperSU fails to detect root.

Credits
Device
Online time
1 Hours
Send PM
10:45, Apr-15-2015 | From PC
|
need help to root mipad 6.4.2 KXFMICB stable.

Credits
Device
Online time
19 Hours
Send PM
01:59, Aug-02-2014 | From PC
|
Great tutorial, worked fine for me for 4.7.25! However, after today's OTA update to 4.8.1, as expected I lost root, so I repeated the procedure. I then realized that by this procedure I kept rooting System One (where 4.7.25 was still installed), but did not root System Two, where the 4.8.1 update was installed. Any idea how to make this work for System Two as well?

Gold Member

Credits
Device
Redmi S2
Online time
43 Hours
Send PM

MIUI 7

22:20, Nov-23-2015 | From PC
|
not working for me, i always get force crashed and when i run the superSU, it said "no binary" :(

Credits
Device
Mi Pad
Online time
12 Hours
Send PM
05:06, Oct-14-2014 | From PC
|
will give it a try, but why do we have to reply to see the far file?

Credits
Device
Online time
5 Hours
Send PM
22:15, Oct-11-2014 | From PC
|
Why do I have to reply just to download a file?

Credits
Device
Online time
19 Hours
Send PM
01:33, Nov-02-2015 | Via mobile
|
Not sure why everyone is confused. Hit reply on first page to get access to file download. Then run update.zip from stock recovery. Works fine

Credits
Device
Online time
1 Hours
Send PM
14:54, Nov-01-2015 | From PC
|
thanks! it worked

Credits
Device
Online time
2 Hours
Send PM
16:14, May-21-2015 | From PC
|
thank you very much for this root step..helpful :)

Supreme Member

Credits
Device
Redmi Note
Online time
672 Hours
Send PM

Awesome!I Love MIUIMIUI 6Mi 2RedmiRedmi Note300K Forum Members1st AnniversaryMIUI Fan From PhilippinesMIUI 20 Million UsersMIUI Fan From SingaporeI Love Mi BunnySummer Mi BunnyAlpaca Mi Bunny MIUI Device TeamAndroid GuruMIUI ExpertMIUI Android 4.4 KitKatTechnology GuruMIUI Device ExpertMIUI Photography GuruStar Of MIUI Device TeamMIUI FollowerPioneer of MIUI English Forum Humor MasterMIUI Photography Team MemberApp StarMIUI SuperstarRedmi Quiz MasterMaster Of Technology

10:30, Jul-30-2014 | From PC
|
Niceeeeeeeeeee! This is awesome!!!

Credits
Device
Mi Pad 1
Online time
26 Hours
Send PM

Mi KeyMi Power BankMIUI 6I Love MIUIAwesome!Mi PadMIUI Fan From SingaporeMIUI Fan from MalaysiaI Love Mi BunnyMIUI Follower

14:58, Jul-30-2014 | From PC
|
Great. But I notice your print screen showing unroot zip file. . wanna share on how to unroot it as well?

MIUI Honorary Moderator

Credits
Device
Mi 5
Online time
3562 Hours
Send PM

Mi In-Ear HeadphonesMi BoxMi Power BankMi KeyMi Portable WiFiMi BandMi WiFi RouterMIUI 2015Awesome!MIUI Devices ContestFlashholicMIUI 6I Love MIUIMIUI 7Fantastic!MIUI 2016Mi PadMi 4iRedmi 2Mi Note ProRedmiXiaomi Mi 4Mi 2Rocket to Future1st Anniversary2014 ChristmasFan Of MIUI Bangladesh1 Million Forum MembersRooster Year of 2017Thanksgiving DayHappy Singles' DayFan Of MIUI Ex-Yu 300K Forum MembersFan of MIUI MyanmarMIUI Fan from IndiaMIUI Fan From PhilippinesAtaturk MourningDiwali Fan Of  MIUI AzerbaijanMIUI Forum App800K Forum MembersFan Of MIUI India700K Forum Members900K Forum MembersHappy Valentine's DayFan Of MIUI GermanyHilal Ramadan 3500K Forum MembersMerry Christmas500K Forum MembersMIUI 4th Anniversary600K Forum MembersHappy New YearMIUI Fan From SingaporeMIUI Font LoverSummer Mi BunnyGamer Mi BunnyAlpaca Mi Bunny I Love Mi BunnyClass A Beta TeamMIUI Device TeamMIUI Beta TeamMIUI Beta Team VIPStar Of  MIUI Beta TeamMIUI Community VIPMIUI ExpertMIUI Android 4.4 KitKatAndroid GuruMr. DependableMIUI Photography GuruPioneer of MIUI English Forum MIUI FollowerStar Of MIUI Device TeamMIUI Device ExpertOTA FeedbackRedmi Quiz MasterMi TalentMi Bunny Game Master MIUI Twitter FollowerHumor MasterMIUI FB FollowerForum Contest LoverUpdates LoverMaster Of TechnologyMIUI Honorary ModeratorTechnology GuruDebate MasterAndroid ElfMIUI Global Forum 2014Star Of IconsMost Active MIUIerSuper ModeratorMIUI Ice Bucket ChallengeDie-hard MIUI FanYouth PledgeInbox ZeroTheme TalentScroll Of WisdomMr. Post the Most

Author| 19:23, Jul-31-2014 | From PC
|
oceanmist73 replied at 2014-7-31 11:00
I tried this method but there seems to be an error.  When I open SuperSU, the error say, "There is n ...

Which MIUI version do you have installed on your Mi Pad?
Please post a screenshot of Settings > About tablet.

For me this worked on official Stable 3.0 and on Developer version 4.7.25.

Or do you have a multi language MIUI ROM installed?

Credits
Device
Online time
2 Hours
Send PM
20:58, Jul-31-2014 | From PC
|
AndroidFuchs replied at 2014-7-31 19:23
Which MIUI version do you have installed on your Mi Pad?
Please post a screenshot of Settings > Ab ...

I received my mi pad today, received a ota to update the latest software. Updated to MIUI-KXFCNBF3.0. Then i did a factory reset before rooting.

I followed exactly the same steps as above. I also tried the vroot method but failed.

MIUI Honorary Moderator

Credits
Device
Mi 5
Online time
3562 Hours
Send PM

Author| 22:33, Jul-31-2014 | From PC
|
oceanmist73 replied at 2014-7-31 13:58
I received my mi pad today, received a ota to update the latest software. Updated to MIUI-KXFCNBF3 ...

Very strange. Please try the following:
- Download KXFCNBF3.0 from here: http://en.miui.com/download-229.html
- Install this stable ROM as described here for installing developer ROM

Afterwards try to root again.

Thank you for reporting back here!

Credits
Device
Online time
2 Hours
Send PM
12:17, Aug-01-2014 | From PC
|
Thanks for your help.  Managed to get it this time!

MIUI Honorary Moderator

Credits
Device
Mi 4c
Online time
621 Hours
Send PM

Mi In-Ear HeadphonesMi WiFi Router MiniMi Power BankMi Band 2Mi KeyMi BandNinebot MiniMi Portable WiFiMi HomeMi BoxXiaomi 6 LaunchMi VRMIUI 6MIUI 2015I Love MIUIAwesome!Fantastic!MIUI 7MIUI 2016MIUI 8FlashholicMi 3Xiaomi Mi 4Redmi NoteMi 4iRedmi 2Mi TVRedmiMi PadMid-Autumn Festival1st AnniversaryDiwali 300K Forum MembersMIUI Fan from MalaysiaMIUI 4th AnniversarySingapore BirthdayHilal Ramadan MIUI Fan From PhilippinesAtaturk MourningMIUI 50 Million UsersMIUI Fan From IndonesiaFan Of MIUI Ex-Yu MIUI Fan from IndiaMIUI Fan From SingaporeMIUI V5 ReviewHappy DiwaliMerry Christmas500K Forum MembersUEFA EURO Medal700K Forum Members2014 ChristmasThanksgiving Day900K Forum MembersMIUI 5th Anniversary600K Forum MembersHappy Valentine's Day800K Forum Members1500K Forum MembersMIUI 300 WeeksMIUI Forum AppSuper TuesdayFan Of MIUI IndiaMIUI Fan from Turkey3500K Forum MembersMIUI 2017Fan Of MIUI Australia2100K Forum MembersMIUI World TourGamer Mi BunnyAlpaca Mi Bunny Summer Mi BunnyMiPopI Love Mi BunnyMIUI News TeamMIUI Device TeamMIUI Medals CollectorTechnology GuruMi Lover MedalMIUI KingAndroid GuruMi TalentMIUI Android 4.4 KitKatHumor MasterMr. DependableStar Of IconsDie-hard MIUI FanMIUI Photography Team MemberOTA FeedbackUpdates LoverMIUI Global Forum 2014Inbox ZeroForum Contest LoverYouth PledgeScroll Of WisdomMr. Post the MostStar MIUI News Team MemberMIUI FB FollowerMIUI Photography Classroom TeacherDebate MasterMIUI ExpertMIUI Photography GuruBest ArticleMIUI FollowerStar Of MIUI Device TeamIndustrious ReporterMIUI Device ExpertPioneer of MIUI English Forum

06:43, Aug-02-2014 | From PC
|
oceanmist73 replied at 2014-7-31 20:58
I received my mi pad today, received a ota to update the latest software. Updated to MIUI-KXFCNBF3 ...

VROOT method only works for Developer ROM, not Stable ROM. Anyway, go for Androidfuchs' method. It was not an option for me when I got my Pad. I would have used his method if VROOT wasn't the only option then.

Credits Management

Quick Reply Top Return to the list