MIUI Honorary Moderator

Credits
Device
Mi 4c
MIUI Version
Online time
615 Hours
Send PM

Mi In-Ear HeadphonesMi WiFi Router MiniMi Power BankMi Band 2Mi KeyMi BandNinebot MiniMi Portable WiFiMi HomeMi BoxXiaomi 6 LaunchMi VRMIUI 6MIUI 2015I Love MIUIAwesome!Fantastic!MIUI 7MIUI 2016MIUI 8FlashholicRedmi NoteMi 3Mi TVMi 4iRedmi 2Xiaomi Mi 4RedmiMi PadMid-Autumn Festival1st AnniversaryDiwali 300K Forum MembersMIUI HalloweenMIUI Fan from MalaysiaMIUI 4th AnniversarySingapore BirthdayHilal Ramadan MIUI Fan From PhilippinesAtaturk MourningMIUI 50 Million UsersMIUI Fan From IndonesiaFan Of MIUI Ex-Yu MIUI Fan from IndiaMIUI Fan From SingaporeMIUI V5 ReviewHappy Diwali500K Forum MembersMerry ChristmasUEFA EURO Medal700K Forum Members1500K Forum MembersThanksgiving Day900K Forum MembersMIUI 5th Anniversary600K Forum MembersHappy Valentine's Day800K Forum Members2014 ChristmasMIUI 300 WeeksMIUI 2017MIUI Fan from Turkey3500K Forum MembersFan Of MIUI AustraliaSuper TuesdayMIUI Forum AppMIUI World Tour2100K Forum MembersFan Of MIUI IndiaSummer Mi BunnyGamer Mi BunnyMiPopAlpaca Mi Bunny I Love Mi BunnyMIUI News TeamMIUI Device TeamMi TalentMIUI Medals CollectorMIUI Android 4.4 KitKatMi Lover MedalAndroid GuruTechnology GuruMIUI KingMIUI Photography Classroom TeacherMr. DependableStar Of IconsDie-hard MIUI FanMIUI Photography Team MemberOTA FeedbackUpdates LoverMIUI Global Forum 2014MIUI FB FollowerForum Contest LoverYouth PledgeScroll Of WisdomStar MIUI News Team MemberPioneer of MIUI English Forum Humor MasterInbox ZeroDebate MasterMIUI ExpertMIUI Photography GuruBest ArticleMIUI FollowerStar Of MIUI Device TeamIndustrious ReporterMIUI Device ExpertMr. Post the Most

[Reviews] [MIUI Device Team] Xiaomi Mi 3 Camera Review with Tips (Camera Setting for Mi3)

[ Promote]
38025 92 |
01:27, Jul-06-2014 | From PC
|
|
Go to reply no.
Mi3 camera review with tips

Mi3

Mi3

I'm writing this because after a quick search in the forum (and the web), I realised that reviews of the Mi3 are either unboxing or for the whole phone, hence very general. I shall attempt now to go in-depth and look at the camera of this fantastic phone in detail.

The Camera
The Mi3 has a fantastic sounding camera on paper. It is made by Sony and has a 13MP backside illumination (BSI) Exmor sensor. The lens is 28mm (equivalent) and has a maximum aperature of f2.2. It does not come with a optical zoom, but that's a small problem. You be your own zoom. Turn on your camera, look at the screen, walk forward, walk backward, there, zoom. Ok, here's my first tip for this article. Do not ever use the digital zoom function. As if the picture quality isn't bad enough, digital zooming will only make the pathetic photo worse. Move the camera or crop later when you get home.

Mi3 Camera app
Mi3Cam.jpg
I know there are many camera apps out there. But for me, the one shipped with Mi3 is good enough. Let's take a look at what we have in the app. Saves precious memory too, since I have 1 less app to install.
1. Flash control. You want to turn it off, mainly because it makes the photo unnaturally coloured and your subjects get monster eyes. I have never used it for photo taking, only turning it on when I need to look for things in the dark.
2. Still or video Camera selector.
3. Rear or front Camera selector.

4. Shortcut to photo album. When in the photo album, swipe to the left to view the photos from the newest to the oldest. When you are at the newest photo, a swipe to the right brings you back to the camera app. Incidentally, when in the camera app, you can left swipe to go directly into the photo album, without tapping on the circle at 4.
5. Shutter release button.
6. Settings.

Let's explore the Settings.
Mi3CamSettings.jpg
1. Panorama. One of my favourite feature in digital cameras, ever since Olympus "invented" it. You can take photos that are super wide. Just tap on the shutter release button, pan left or right and the camera begins to take a series of photos, while you see an orange progress bar move. When it reaches the end, the stitching begins and after a few seconds, the result is displayed on screen.
2. Audio capture. Not very useful in noisy environments. But in a quiet room, you can use it to trigger the shutter by just snapping your fingers.
3. Auto adjust. This setting is for automatic adjustment of skin tones. Not a very useful feature, even in manual mode. You are better off concentrating on getting that shot and then doing any post processing later on your computer.

4. HDR (High Dynamic Range). It works by taking multiple photos at different exposure settings continuously and then merging them to give a photo that shows both highlights and lowlights together. HDR is a novelty trick. When this feature first came out,everyone was making HDR photos. Problem is, the photos look unnatural and you would be better off trying to master your photography techniques than take a HDR photo.
5. Hand-held twilight. The way this feature works is to increase the ISO setting so that you can take photos by hand in less than desirable lighting. So, lets get a little technical here. For a digital camera to increase the ISO, it simply increases the sensitivty of the sensor (something like turning up the volume of your speaker). When that happens, noise start to creep into your photos. Noise in very simple terms would be the little specks of colour that appear in your photo, especially in the darker parts of your photo. My advice would be, use it sparingly. Try to take photos in as bright an environment as possible.
6. Filters. I never use this feature, as I prefer to post process. You have more control over how the photo turns out that way.
7. Focus mode. There are 3 options. Auto, Macro, Manual focus. I'm lazy, so I leave it on Auto focus. When using the camera app, simply tap anywhere on the screen and it will focus on where you tap. The Mi3 auto focus is not very good, so sometimes you need to tap a few times. This can be irritating when you are taking group photos and your subjects are waiting with a strained smile on their face. Occasionally, I will use Manual focus. That's for when I want to take macro (closeup) photos. I'll usually set the manual focus to the nearest focus and just move my phone forward and back to achieve the focus I want. This way of taking macro photos is way faster than using the Macro focus setting.
8. Manual exposure. The Mi3 is generally spot on when it comes to getting the right exposure. So again, this is a feature I do not use.
9. Exposure. There are some situations where you would delibrately want your photo to be very dark or very bright, you will want to adjust towards - (minus) for darker photos and + (plus) for brighter photos.
10. White balance. Again, I find that the Mi3 is very good at finding the white balance, so I leave it on AWB (auto).
11. More settings. Yes, the Mi3 Camera app lets you control a whole lot more. More than what many people need actually. Let's take a look.

Mi3CamMoreSettings.jpg
I can't remember if this or Simple mode is default for the camera app, as it has been sometime since I bought the Mi3. My suspicion is simple mode. So if it is, change it to Advanced mode, which is what I have shown you so far. Advanced mode allows more tweaks to the camera. Not that all settings are useful or must be used, but more is better and you can tweak to your heart's content. Ok, Simple and Advanced mode aside, I shall proceed to talk about the more useful (my opinion) settings under More settings.

Picture size. Set it to the largest, which is 13M. The larger the picture size, the more you can crop without affecting the picture quality when you post to our forum. Remember, what I wrote about in my editing post? Link   
Picture quality. The 3 settings determine the amount of compression, since the photos are saved as jpegs. Unless you are running out of space, leave it on High (least amount of compression).
Store location info. Turn it off. Unless you want weird people who see your photos online and decide to show up at your door. This is because if it is on, your location info will be saved in the EXIF, which is easily accessible to anyone who sees your photo.
Volume key functions.
Camera sounds.

Scan QR code. They are all self explanatory.
Time watermark. Again, turn it off. There was a time, when this feature was very popular and all photos in that era had a date and time stamp in a corner of the photo. It looks ugly, spoils the beauty of your photo. Just turn it off and be over with it.
Long press shutter button. Set it to Burst shoot. The Mi3 can take photos at the rate of 10 frames per second. Be careful or your 16GB phone will soon be out of space. LOL!
Reference line. I have it on because it helps me get things straight in my photo, as nothing irritates me more than a horizon that's slanting in a photo.
Auto exposure settings. Use Frame average. The Mi3 metering system is very good. Set and forget for most photo situations, unless you are taking very high contrast photos and want a very specific part of the photo to be exposed correctly, then use Spot metering. Tap on the screen, where you want the camera to calculate the exposure value, when using Spot metering. In today's context, Centre weighted metering is like an old man trying to look young. I mean, who takes photos of things that sit directly in the center of a photo? In any case, putting your subject right in the middle of the frame is poor composition. The only situation I can think of is when you are taking an ID photo, where the face is usually framed right in the middle of the photo.   
Anti banding. This setting is only for when you want to take photos of the TV or monitor and need to cut out banding effects due to the refresh rate of the monitor. I just leave it on default. You might want to change it to Auto just for the heck of it.
Contrast.
Saturation.
Sharpness. Leave on Normal. Like I said, do everyting in Post processing. Remember, if your photo is blur due to wrong focus or shaky hands, no amount of post processing can save the photo. So concentrate and stay focussed on taking that photo, rather than fiddle with settings that you can adjust during Post processing.
Face detection.
Face recognition. I don't see the purpose of these 2 settings. Do you?
Enhance skin tones. Eventhough I have it at off in Settings, I still see 1 person as my value. Oh well, it's not going to kill me, just leave it at that.
Restore default. If you mess up something and don't know how to undo whatever you have messed up, use this setting to start all over again.

Final thoughts
The Mi3 camera is not half bad. At least for me, as I feel that it exposes accurately, gets the AWB correct and is quite a speedy shooter (very little shutter lag). The last one being very important to me, because shutter lag irritates the hell out of me, when I'm trying to take a photo and the camera takes its own sweet time when I tap on the shutter release. The only 2 gripes being that the panorama stitching could be faster as the wait time gets a little uncomfortable and the focusing I feel, has room for improvement. This review is based on the SG Stable ROM version14 (JXDSGBD14.0). I've heard that the Mi3 can shoot RAW. Well, not in the version I have, so no comments yet.

Favorite24 Share

Rated by 24 people   Experience Prestige Reason  

Saharuk + 2 Thanks!
Prabhu96 + 5 Thanks!
am47 + 1 Awesome!
xiaoming22{ + 1 Fantastic!
XiaomiPraveen + 1 Thanks!
geno.thomas + 1 Awesome!
ManishVector + 1 Thanks!
sudy_freak + 2 Thanks!
JonathanChua + 1 Agreed!
AKM80 + 1 Thanks!
好巴巴sos + 2 Great!
AK073 + 1 Awesome!
jo.luv.mi + 1 Awesome!
metra01 + 1 Great!
Ajayx + 1 Thanks!
thinkpax + 1 Agreed!
Dexter_Ng + 1 Awesome!
alexleong + 1 Thanks!
Guru.hangala + 2 Awesome!
r0n!n76 + 5 Fantastic!
Tribwyn + 3 Thanks!
hyungsikkie + 1 Thanks!
KateZ + 11 + 1 Fantastic!
ZiYuen89 + 1 Great!

Experience +48  Prestige +1  View Rating Log

Credits
Device
Mi3
MIUI Version
KXDMIBH34.0
Online time
1 Hours
Send PM
13:32, Jul-07-2014 | From PC
|
The camera needs to be improved. Thats the only thing missig for me. Its quite bad in lowlight and not as good as other devices

Platinum Member

Credits
Device
Mi 3
MIUI Version
V8.2.1.0.MXDMIDL
Online time
75 Hours
Send PM

Mi BandMi In-Ear HeadphonesMi Power BankMi BoxMi KeyFlashholicMIUI 6MIUI 2015I Love MIUIAwesome!Fantastic!Mi 3Mi PadMi TVMIUI Fan From Indonesia600K Forum MembersMIUI Fan From BrazilDiwali 300K Forum MembersMIUI Fan from IndiaUEFA EURO MedalMIUI Fan from MalaysiaMIUI Fan From SingaporeMIUI Fan From PhilippinesMIUI 4th AnniversaryFan Of MIUI India700K Forum Members1st AnniversaryMIUI 100 Million UsersHappy Singles' DayMIUI HalloweenFan Of  MIUI AzerbaijanThanksgiving Day500K Forum Members2014 ChristmasI Love Mi BunnySummer Mi BunnyGamer Mi BunnyAlpaca Mi Bunny MIUI Beta TeamMIUI Medals CollectorForum Contest LoverOTA FeedbackMIUI Global Forum 2014MIUI FollowerDebate MasterAndroid ElfStar Of IconsUpdates LoverYouth PledgeHumor MasterDie-hard MIUI FanMIUI Android 4.4 KitKatInbox ZeroPioneer of MIUI English Forum Android Guru

02:23, Jul-06-2014 | From PC
|
Good review ! As many users I saw (in FB xiaomi groups) does not have an real idea regarding those functions in their phone

Rated by 1 person   Experience Reason  

lionelnovember + 1 Agreed!

Experience +1  View Rating Log

Credits
Device
Redmi 3S Prime
MIUI Version
Online time
68 Hours
Send PM
03:54, Jul-06-2014 | From PC
|
Really good review !

For anyone who complain about the photo quality, I think I understand them because when we compare pictures of other devices with the same camera sensor, they are better in quality (sharpness, color, less blur...) so it's a shame to have an awesome phone which could be perfect, but not just because of the quality of the camera app :'(

Comment

allakazoo 9 out of 10 times, a bad photo is the photgrapher's fault. Before you press the shutter release, you can control anything you want right? :)  16:51, Jul-07-2014
allakazoo Support: 5 Objection: 0 Blur is very often a user issue. But, we cannot fault the user because a phone is quite difficult to hold steady.  09:18, Jul-06-2014

MIUI Honorary Moderator

她是我的

Credits
Device
Mi Note
MIUI Version
Online time
639 Hours
Send PM

Mi BandI Love MIUIMIUI 7Redmi 1SMIUI Fan from MalaysiaMIUI 5th AnniversaryMIUI World TourMIUI 4th AnniversaryMIUI Fan From NepalMIUI Device TeamSuper ModeratorMi Talent

13:15, Jul-07-2014 | From PC
|
At last, this is the only guide about Mi3 camera.

Comment

allakazoo Support: 5 Objection: 0 Yeah, did it because I couldn't find a guide for the Mi3 camera. Haha!  15:28, Jul-07-2014
MIUI Malay Language Translator & Super Moderator
Xiaomi MIUI Malaysia Community

Diamond Member

Credits
Device
Mi3
MIUI Version
JXDSGBD14.0
Online time
19 Hours
Send PM

I Love MIUIAwesome!RedmiMi 3Fan Of MIUI Ex-Yu MIUI Fan from MalaysiaMIUI 50 Million UsersMIUI Fan From PhilippinesMIUI Fan From SingaporeI Love Mi BunnyMIUI Android 4.4 KitKatAndroid GuruOTA FeedbackPioneer of MIUI English Forum MIUI Follower

13:20, Jul-07-2014 | From PC
|
thanks for the review! tbh i don't explore all the functions on the Mi3 camera.. i do agree that Mi3 camera's auto-focus is not good.. sometimes have to keep tapping at the subject/object

Platinum Member

Credits
Device
Mi 3
MIUI Version
Online time
223 Hours
Send PM

Mi BandFantastic!MIUI 6Awesome!I Love MIUIMi NoteMi 31st AnniversaryHilal Ramadan MIUI Fan From SingaporeMIUI 4th AnniversaryMIUI Fan from MalaysiaMIUI Fan from IndiaSingapore BirthdayFan Of MIUI IndiaMIUI Fan From Indonesia300K Forum Members500K Forum MembersHappy Singles' DayHappy DiwaliHappy Valentine's DayMIUI HalloweenDiwali 2014 ChristmasMIUI 5th Anniversary700K Forum MembersI Love Mi BunnyAlpaca Mi Bunny MIUI Beta TeamForum Contest LoverMIUI FollowerMost Active MIUIerAndroid GuruMIUI Global Forum 2014

14:26, Jul-07-2014 | From PC
|
Good guide, now i know how to fully appreciate the Mi3 camera, thank you !!!

Comment

allakazoo Support: 5 Objection: 0 You are welcome. :)  16:38, Jul-07-2014

Administrator

Flashing

Credits
Device
Mi 5
MIUI Version
Online time
5510 Hours
Send PM

Mi MIXMi HomeFantastic!Awesome!MIUI Devices ContestI Love MIUIMIUI 2016Mi TVThanksgiving DayDiwali MIUI 20 Million UsersMIUI 50 Million UsersMIUI 3rd Anniversary2014 ChristmasMIUI V5 ReviewMIUI Fan From SingaporeMIUI 4th AnniversaryMIUI Fan From Nepal1800K Forum MembersFan Of MIUI RussiaSuper Sunday90000 Forum MembersMIUI Fan from TurkeyMIUI Forum AppI Love Mi BunnyOTA FeedbackPioneer of MIUI English Forum Die-hard MIUI Fan

14:56, Jul-07-2014 | From PC
|
Awesome guide! Thank you :)

Comment

allakazoo Support: 5 Objection: 0 You are welcome. :)  15:26, Jul-07-2014

Diamond Member

Credits
Device
MIUI Version
Online time
34 Hours
Send PM

Mi MIXI Love MIUIAwesome!MIUI Fan from MalaysiaMIUI V5 ReviewMIUI Fan From SingaporeMIUI Fan from IndiaFan Of MIUI IndiaMIUI Fan From PhilippinesMIUI Fan From IndonesiaSingapore BirthdayI Love Mi BunnyMIUI Beta TeamMIUI FollowerOTA FeedbackPioneer of MIUI English Forum MIUI Medals CollectorAndroid Guru

16:15, Jul-07-2014 | From PC
|
Awesome!!!!! Thanks for sharing

Comment

allakazoo Support: 5 Objection: 0 You are welcome. :)  16:37, Jul-07-2014

Diamond Member

Credits
Device
Mi3
MIUI Version
Online time
32 Hours
Send PM

Mi MIXI Love MIUIAwesome!MIUI 6Mi 3MIUI Fan From SingaporeMIUI Fan From PhilippinesMIUI Fan from MalaysiaMIUI V5 ReviewI Love Mi BunnyMIUI FollowerAndroid GuruMIUI Android 4.4 KitKatMIUI Medals CollectorOTA Feedback

17:32, Jul-07-2014 | From PC
|
Thanks for the review!

Credits Management

Quick Reply Top Return to the list