Elite Member

Credits
Device
Mi 3
Online time
335 Hours
Send PM

Mi Portable WiFiMi KeyMi In-Ear HeadphonesMi Power BankMi BoxMi BandI Love MIUIAwesome!MIUI 6Mi TVMi PadRedmi NoteHappy Valentine's DayMid-Autumn Festival500K Forum Members2014 ChristmasMIUI Fan From SingaporeMIUI V5 ReviewSingapore BirthdayMIUI 4th AnniversarySummer Mi BunnyMiPopAlpaca Mi Bunny I Love Mi BunnyMIUI Device TeamGFX TeamMIUI Android 4.4 KitKatMIUI FollowerPioneer of MIUI English Forum Star Of MIUI Device TeamMIUI Device ExpertMIUI Photography GuruMIUI Photography Team Member

[Reviews] [MIUI Device Team]Unboxing The Most Economical DualBand AC Router: Mi WiFi Mini

[ Promote]
36514 75 |
23:44, Jun-19-2014 | From PC
|
|
Go to reply no.
This post was edited by backlash23 at 07:46, Jun-23-2014

Introduction
Xiaomi Product Launch Event @ Beijing on 23 April 2014 saw the introduction of 3 new Xiaomi Products into it's extensive line of mobile computering products. One of the much anticipated product is the Mi WiFi Mini, a Dual Band 2.4GHz/5Ghz router with a high speed trasfer rate of 1167Mbps coupled with the MiWifi app. This device follows the tradition of all Xiaomi products where weekly updates are prompt and most importantly, users feedback are roped in to better the constant upgrading process.

Unboxing and Taking A Closer Look At The Mini
Staying true to the  Xiaomi Style of "Simple is Beautiful", the Mini comes packed in the traditional reinforced cardboard box that faithfully protects the content within. The signature Xiaomi Logo on the top right corner of the box is defintely something not to be missed.

Opening the box unveils the Mini "sleeping peacefully" in it's bed of cardboard. The version that I gotten is the standard black. It was announced that other color variants will be made available on a later date. The surface of the black Mini is of matt nature giving it a very elegant and contemporary feel which fit well in any apartment setup as a decoration or show piece.

The Power Adaptor (12V and 1A) is well tucked under the Mini. Lean and compact packing as always.

Taking a closer look at the Mini reveals that the topside of it houses 2 antenna on both left and right along with a LED indicator. The 2 antenna on he side blends in well with the inclined form of the Mini. Should there be a need to adjust the antenna, they are both able to rotate up to 180 degree rotation.

The rear of the router house the following (From Left to Right)
1. The Mini Reset Button
2. A Usb 2.0 port - For connection to storage device for file sharing
3. 2 x 1/100 Lan Port- To connect to other mobile device
4. 1. x 1/100 WLAN Port - To connect your signal source
5. The AC Adaptor point.

The base of the Mini is where information of the item can be found. And of course, a proliferated design acts as outlet for a proper heat dissipation. A closer peep at the proliferation unveil a metallic panel which functions as a heat-sink. A very well thought design by the design team.

The next part of the unboxing will be a little more technical than usual.

What is 802.11ac and Why a Dual Channel Router ?802.11ac is the 5th generation wifi standard since the 802.11. In theroy, 802.11ac is supposed to be 3 x faster than 802.11n standard. As for a dual channel router, it offer flexibility in connection simutaneoulsy providing a 2.4Ghz channel for widespread usage and a 5Ghz channel for consistent bandwith meant for multimedia utilization.

To further utilise the Dual Band AC capability of the Mini, double antenna is designed into the mini to provide two times the coverage signal to strenghten coverage of your signal.

Putting The Mini To The Test

Setting up the Mini is simple as the User interface (UI) is made simple with the aid of symbols that are self-explainatory. Users are able to use the mobile app to monitor the status of the Mini, perform diagnotics of the Mini and last of all basic trouble shooting in the event of any error.

The Physical Setup
The physical set up of the Mini is just like any commercial off the shelf router. You need to power up the Mini and then plug in the signal source from your Modem or Internet Gateway. Pay attention to the LED indicator on the front panel. "Yellow" indicates that is it initialising and "Blue" indicates the Mini is ready to be use.

The Software Setup
The software setting is made easy with large pictorial guide and basic instructions. Setting it up was as easy as I,2,3. Wala, your Mini is ready for action. One thing to note is that the Mini is packed with variouse network security feature. For a full list of features, please visit the following link: http://bbs.xiaomi.cn/thread-9644977-1-1.html

The Mini provide a very decent and high speed when performing file sharing function from the connect HDD to the laptop used in the test. Test results indication an increase of 10 times the normal speed of a normal N band rounter.

In Conclusion
Summing it all, the price at which the Mini is being priced will definately put itself in the running when comparing with other mainstream brand of routers. Should anyone be looking at getting an afordable dual-band ac router that is feature packed, the Xiaomi Mini is indeed the right choice.

This is BL 23 signing off.

May The "Mi" Be With All.

Credit to scofy for his post on bbs.xiaomi.cb on 25 April 2014
Source Of Review :  http://bbs.xiaomi.cn/thread-9652862-1-1.html

Favorite9 Share

Rated by 26 people   Experience Prestige Reason  

shashanknote99 + 2 Fantastic!
invictusdave + 1 Great!
godji_1 + 1 Great!
snow.in.trouser + 1 Fantastic!
Thor91 + 5 Awesome!
shashankp1 + 8 Fantastic!
demon507 + 1 Awesome!
garyngkt + 1 Fantastic!
Hades!! + 1 Awesome!
griever27 + 1 Awesome!
Guru.hangala + 2 Awesome!
wolivie + 1 Fantastic!
blurjoey + 1 Awesome!
wesetiawan + 1 Great!
Be6i4 + 5 Great!
heavyarmsgundam + 10 + 1 Awesome!
ins0mn1ac + 5 Fantastic!
Pepinos + 1 Fantastic!
SAFI_AFRIDI + 1 Fantastic!
Glennnugraha + 5 Awesome!
freesofia + 5 Great!
ahmad.afef + 5 Awesome!
Amducias + 5 Great!
Nanana + 10 Well done!
AilsaZ + 6 Thanks!
KateZ + 10 + 2 Awesome!

Experience +95  Prestige +3  View Rating Log

Gold Member

Credits
Device
Redmi 1S
Online time
82 Hours
Send PM

Mi WiFi RouterMi BandMi BoxAwesome!MIUI 2015Mi TVRedmi 2I Love Mi Bunny

12:22, Jun-20-2014 | From PC
|
is the port really 100M not a gigabit ??? i dont see the AC works if its only 100M
anyway nice review.

Rated by 1 person   Experience Reason  

rontant + 1 Agreed! 100Mbps is too shabby. No way!

Experience +1  View Rating Log

Elite Member

Testing MIUI V6

Credits
Device
Nexus 5
Online time
400 Hours
Send PM

Mi Portable WiFiMi KeyMi In-Ear HeadphonesMIUI 6I Love MIUIFlashholicAwesome!Mi 3RedmiRedmi NoteMIUI 100 Million UsersHappy Singles' DayMIUI V5 ReviewXiaomi 5th AnniversaryMIUI 50 Million UsersMIUI Fan from IndiaMIUI 4th AnniversaryMIUI Fan From PhilippinesFan Of MIUI India600K Forum MembersI Love Mi BunnyMIUI News TeamMIUI Beta TeamMIUI Device TeamAndroid GuruMIUI Android 4.4 KitKatPioneer of MIUI English Forum Updates LoverMIUI Global Forum 2014Humor MasterMIUI Medals CollectorMIUI Twitter FollowerOTA FeedbackMIUI Follower

23:45, Jun-19-2014 | From PC
|
Nice Review but its Meeting Room!! Do not post reviews here

Elite Member

Credits
Device
Mi 3
Online time
335 Hours
Send PM

Mi Portable WiFiMi KeyMi In-Ear HeadphonesMi Power BankMi BoxMi BandI Love MIUIAwesome!MIUI 6Mi TVMi PadRedmi NoteHappy Valentine's DayMid-Autumn Festival500K Forum Members2014 ChristmasMIUI Fan From SingaporeMIUI V5 ReviewSingapore BirthdayMIUI 4th AnniversarySummer Mi BunnyMiPopAlpaca Mi Bunny I Love Mi BunnyMIUI Device TeamGFX TeamMIUI Android 4.4 KitKatMIUI FollowerPioneer of MIUI English Forum Star Of MIUI Device TeamMIUI Device ExpertMIUI Photography GuruMIUI Photography Team Member

Author| 23:48, Jun-19-2014 | From PC
|
Hi DoxMAZz. Posted here for KateZ to moderate first ?? Cos this was a request from her to translate from another chinese article.

Or as you mentioned, i have posted in the wrong section ?

Retired Administrator

Credits
Device
Mi 4S
Online time
1660 Hours
Send PM

Mi BandMi Power BankMi MIXMIUI 2015Fantastic!MIUI 6MIUI 7Redmi NoteMi 4iMi PadRedmi 2Mi 2MIUI Fan From PhilippinesMIUI Fan from MalaysiaMIUI Fan From SingaporeMIUI 4th AnniversaryDiwali Singapore BirthdayMIUI Fan from IndiaThanksgiving DayHappy Valentine's Day500K Forum MembersMIUI Fan From IndonesiaFan Of MIUI IndiaGamer Mi BunnyMIUI News TeamYouth PledgeForum Contest LoverMIUI G+ FollowerMIUI Ice Bucket Challenge

10:22, Jun-20-2014 | From PC
|
Thanks for the hard work and nice review!

Supreme Member

Credits
Device
Redmi Note
Online time
672 Hours
Send PM

Awesome!I Love MIUIMIUI 6Mi 2RedmiRedmi Note300K Forum Members1st AnniversaryMIUI Fan From PhilippinesMIUI 20 Million UsersMIUI Fan From SingaporeI Love Mi BunnySummer Mi BunnyAlpaca Mi Bunny MIUI Device TeamAndroid GuruMIUI ExpertMIUI Android 4.4 KitKatTechnology GuruMIUI Device ExpertMIUI Photography GuruStar Of MIUI Device TeamMIUI FollowerPioneer of MIUI English Forum Humor MasterMIUI Photography Team MemberApp StarMIUI SuperstarRedmi Quiz MasterMaster Of Technology

10:25, Jun-20-2014 | From PC
|
Such nice job So grateful for your good work backlash.

Diamond Member

Credits
Device
Redmi
Online time
29 Hours
Send PM

I Love MIUIMIUI 2015Awesome!Xiaomi Mi 4RedmiMi 3MIUI V5 ReviewFan Of MIUI IndiaMIUI 50 Million UsersMIUI Fan from MalaysiaSingapore BirthdayMIUI Fan From SingaporeMIUI Fan From BrazilMIUI Fan From PhilippinesMIUI Fan from IndiaI Love Mi BunnySummer Mi BunnyPioneer of MIUI English Forum MIUI FB FollowerForum Contest LoverMIUI Medals CollectorMIUI FollowerOTA FeedbackMIUI Twitter FollowerAndroid GuruMIUI Android 4.4 KitKat

10:31, Jun-20-2014 | From PC
|
good work there...

Elite Member

Credits
Device
Mi3
Online time
931 Hours
Send PM

Mi In-Ear HeadphonesI Love MIUIMi 3MIUI 3rd AnniversaryHappy Singles' Day100k Forum MembersDiwali MIUI 20 Million UsersAtaturk MourningMIUI 4th Anniversary90000 Forum MembersI Love Mi BunnyMost Active MIUIerMIUI Wallpaper ContestMost Popular Forum UserOTA FeedbackPioneer of MIUI English Forum Star Of Themes

10:48, Jun-20-2014 | From PC
|
Oh, i want this so much

Elite Member

Credits
Device
Mi 3
Online time
335 Hours
Send PM

Author| 11:42, Jun-20-2014 | From PC
|
Thanks for the encouragement.

Elite Member

Credits
Device
Mi 3
Online time
335 Hours
Send PM

Author| 13:16, Jun-20-2014 | From PC
|
Hi There Kaed3. Let me check and get back to you. This is a translated article from Chinese so some of their terminology might sound alien to me as well.

Thanks for pointing out.

Credits Management

Quick Reply Top Return to the list