Here're some FAQ you need to know.
Why did Mi lock the bootloader for Mi devices?
Mi is an international brand now, but it's only in few countries currently, and is still in the stage of expanding its international market. So it's difficult for users from countries where Mi is not officially sold to buy Mi phones. Many users have taken the risk of buying from a unofficial reseller. But they sometimes get fake Mi phones, or Mi phones with unofficial ROM loaded with bloatware. You guys must have seen some users asking in the forum whether their Mi phones are genuine, or that they have weird ROM version installed on their new phones. This is really bad for user experience, and it might even cause property loss if some malware are installed. This situation also exists in China market.
Another problem Mi users have often encountered is that, after their Mi phones are lost or stolen, the person who got the device could easily flash a new ROM into it, and makes it almost impossible for our users to get their phones back. In the recent MIUI developer version update, we've add a feature that needs users to enter their Mi account info to use the phone after doing a full wipe. But if an ill-intentioned person knows how to use fastboot method to flash ROMs, this will not stop him/her from gaining control of the phone.
Based on the above two reasons, we've decided to lock the bootloader. We've also made changes to Mi Cloud's 'Find Device' function, and adjusted system update's verifying logic.By these combined methods, user data can be better protected, and user experience can also be improved.
What Mi devices are locked?
Mi 4c, Redmi Note 3, Mi Note Pro, Redmi 3, Mi 4S, Mi 5 and Mi devices launched in the year 2016 onwards
How to unlock bootloader?
Head towards http://en.miui.com/unlock for English site and apply for unlocking. You shall reach the page showing application form like this.
If the English site is not working on Chrome, do try on other browsers or clear cache data of your browser. You can also apply using your device with default Mi browser in your phone. It shall automatically detect your logged in Mi account once you're on the unlocking site.
- Please provide the reason you want to unlock accordingly and don't copy paste sentence such as 我的手机是砖砌在启动循环模式 . We are not going to approve it.
- If the download webpage is shown instead of rejected message means you’ve been approved.
Please wait patiently for the approval SMS. Then you can proceed by downloading the tool for the unlocking site, currently we only support on Windows. Do make sure your PC has necessary drivers before you start to unlock.
Kedacom USB device problem (new)
For those who received permission to unlock but still stuck, please check out this section. You might be facing problem due to kedacom USB problem especially for those who are using Windows 10 which causes your PC fail to detect device in fastboot mode. Download Mi Flash Here
1. Boot into fastboot mode (Hold Volume Down+Power), a Mi bunny image will be shown. Plug your device into the computer.
2. Open Device Manager and search for Kedacom USB Device, double click on Android Bootloader Interface, then click Uninstall, tick Delete Driver Software for this device then OK
3. Unplug and reconnect your phone (phone state is still in fastboot mode)
In this stage, you will see that driver is reinstalling and show Android Device as Android Bootloader Interface, once the driver finishe updating it will revert back to Kedacom. The Kedacom driver won't allow you to unlock or perform any kind of fastboot commands. To solve this,
4. Double click on Android Bootloader Interface again under Kedacom again
5. Under 'Driver' tab, click Roll Back Driver, press OK
Since the driver is all right now, head towards Mi Unlock Tool and you should be able to unlock without problem now.
Second Method (luckymouse17)
- Open and login your account with Mi Unlock Tool and minimize it,
- Once you're logged in then disconnect your internet connection.
- Boot into fastboot mode (Hold Volume Down+Power), a Mi bunny image will be shown. Plug your device into the computer.
- Open Device Manager and search for Kedacom USB Device, double click on Android Bootloader Interface, then click Uninstall, tick Delete Driver Software for this device then OK
- Unplug and reconnect your phone (phone state is still in fastboot mode)
- Device manager will start blinking and an Android Phone will appear, wait till driver installing window disappear after you plugged your device
- After the driver installing windows is gone then reconnect your Internet.
- Open the Mi Unlocking Tool wait till it detect your device.
- Once it's shown then tap on Unlock
Unlocking Bootloader Procedure
China & Global Stable and Developer ROM (new):
Please make sure you're on official MIUI ROM to unlock
What to do after received the approval SMS?
1) Settings---> About phone---> MIUI Version (Tap on it to enable developer option).
2) Settings---> Additional settings---> Developer option and bind your approved Mi account under Mi Unlock Status. This works on latest China & Global Stable and Developer ROM. Skip this step if you can't bind your Mi account.
3. Log into the Mi account which has acquired unlocking permission on your device
4. Turn off your device, press the Power button and Volume - button at the same time to enter bootloader mode
5. Log into the unlocking tool on PC with the same Mi account. Connect the device with the PC using USB cable
6. Press 'Unlock'. The unlocking process will complete in about 10 seconds
For those who already bricked your devices you may using Mi PC SUITE to reflash your device.You are advised to download it to install necessary files (ADB and so on)
How long does it takes to receive the SMS from Xiaomi? (new)
Do login on http://en.miui.com/unlock/ to check the application status, whether you’ve approved to unlock bootloader or rejected. If the download tool webpage is shown the please download then login your Mi account and try unlock
Important notes after receiving the SMS:
- Please do noted that the mi account log into your mobile device shall be as the same as the one during your bootloader process online.
- Please do kindly allow us have your kind patience to follow the tips below for the bootloader process:
- Please also check unplug the cable and then re-connect the mobile device with computer for the process check again.
How to check whether the bootloader is locked/unlocked?
The status of bootloader can be checked in the following process.
-The unlocker tool will show the message of "Unlocked".
-If you are using China developer ROM then the security app will have the options in security app "Permissions" function.
*The "Root access" option will be shown for unlocked bootloader
*The "About root access" option will be shown for locked bootloader
-Settings---> Additional settings---> Developer option and bind your approved Mi account under Mi Unlock Status
Is the recovery accessible after unlocking the bootloader?
If you are using MI(default) recovery then you can't access the recovery but you can use the custom(third party) recoveries.
How to flash custom recovery in the bootloader unlocked device?
You can flash the custom recoveries in the following methods.
-If your device is rooted then you can flash the recovery through apps like "Flashify" "TWRP Manager" and etc.
-If your device is not rooted then flash the recovery using adb command process.
You can also try any other methods you know.
How to unbrick the bootloader locked/unlocked device?
If the device is bricked you can flash the ROM by adb commands or using MI flash tool. You can also refer the below link for further.
(Note: Use the related device ROM to flash it)
Flashing full ROM in unlocked bootloader will lock the bootloader again?
No, if the bootloader is unlocked then it will not be locked again so you can flash the full ROM with full wipe.
What you need to know about unlocking?
First and foremost you can only unlock your own device. This means the unlocking tool you downloaded must be logged in with the same mi account in your device. After getting unlocking permission for a Mi account, users can unlock the verified device immediately. One Mi account could only unlock one device within 30 days
What's wrong with this error "Couldn't verify device" ?
1) Current account is different from the account info on the device
This is due to system has detected the account in Mi Unlocking Tool is different from the one in your device. Please reboot and wait for a while before continuing to proceed with unlocking. If the error message still shown, please try again in a week later.
2) Not Connected To Mi Phone
This is due to the driver is not properly installed in your computer, please use another USB cable or changing between the USB port for PC to install the driver. Download MIUI ROM Flashing Tool for drivers or try to unlock it in another PC
It might caused by too many phones connected to the computer or laptop. Please make sure there's only one phone (device you wish to unlock) connected to your computer.
Isn't locking bootloader against Mi's 'geek' spirit?
Locking bootloader is aimed to provide better user experience, which we've been trying to do the whole time. In the meantime, we've provided a unlocking tool for senior users who know their ways around flashing and tweaking their devices. (Unlocking Tutorial)
The unlocking process is really simple. After unlocking, the device can do all the things as before we locked bootloader.
The unlocking procedure will need Internet access to get the unlocking password. Also, the Mi Account logged in on the Mi phone and the unlocking tool needs to be the same. Otherwise the unlocking request will be denied. This will ensure that ill-intentioned people will not get access to your personal data.
What will change after locking bootloader?
- Locking bootloader will not affect normal OTA updates
- ROOT will be disabled if user has enabled it before. Enabling ROOT will need to unlock bootloader
- Recovery mode is changed. Updating via Recovery will need to use Mi PC Suite
- Devices with locked bootloader can not update using Miflash. Users need to unlock bootloader if they want to flash Fastboot ROMs.
The risks stated above do not fully cover changes which may be brought about by Mi Unlock.
We will keep improving Mi Unlock in order to prevent the cases when unauthorised vendors unlock Mi devices to install third party apps which worsen MIUI user experience and cannot to be deleted. Locked devices also provide you with high-quality security features, such as Find device, and other added-value services. We're sorry for any inconveniences our policies may cause. Please think twice before unlocking if you are not familiar with ROM flashing.
Final note, if you don't know that much about Android, flashing, custom ROMs etc. It's not recommended for you to unlock the bootloader. It might cause serious damage to your device or personal data.
Download Mi Unlock App (Updated on 7th April, 2017)
(22.61 MB, Downloads: 433)