[Tips & Tutorials] Mi TV 3 Change to English, Root & Gapps

[ Promote]
95156 246 |
23:18, Feb-13-2016 | From PC
|
|
Go to reply no.
This post was edited by Oomjjhe at 15:05, Feb-16-2016

Hello Guys. I want to share my experience with mi tv 3.
I have my mi tv 3 (only the bar and subwoofer actually) since its first initial sale on November. With the risk that it will in chinese and doesnt have any google apps.

For months, I keep searching how to make these thing work in english and at least will support youtube. And here is what I do to make it work, I just google all these things, so Im not guarantee that it will work for you. Dont consider this as tutorial even the title said tutorial (I can't post thread without select type of thread)

Do this on your own risk.

1. How to change the language to English.

The very simple method is install the startsettings apk via usb stick. startSettings.apk (76.45 KB, Downloads: 7669)
MITVScreenshot_1455363463449-f9e45813ab28ef1bcff1714931cc9b4d.jpg
MITVScreenshot_1455363485646-d4e97425b55e76b6cedd0898473639e7.jpg
Favorite35 Share

Rated by 19 people   Experience Prestige Reason  

hemuni + 1 Thanks!
MAXNAVAS + 1 Great!
cognotte + 1 Great!
a3999jose + 5 Great!
mitch002 + 10 + 3 Awesome!
darel919 + 1 Fantastic!
Dasari5 + 1 Thanks!
turbansasha + 5 Thanks!
Harshu5 + 1 Awesome!
gromadsky + 1 Thanks!
nob1 + 1 Fantastic!
LinkWii777 + 5 Thanks!
schlafsackj + 1 Great!
5083pisk + 1 Thanks!
UnlockME + 1 Thank you for sharing this.
chikoo123 + 5 Awesome!
WOLVERINE90 + 5 Awesome!
sepneela + 10 + 3 Thanks!
vincent_khoo + 10 + 3 Fantastic!

Experience +66  Prestige +9  View Rating Log

Credits
Device
Online time
12 Hours
Send PM
07:48, Dec-11-2016 | From PC
|

Install Google Apps on Mi TV 3

This post was edited by Saalmaan at 04:32, Jan-27-2018

Install Google Apps
I have successfully installed google play store and apps, no crashes now. here is how it did it
1) download attached Google Installer_2.0.apk and upload it to tv and let it install all Google apps. once the apps are installed you might see lots of Google services crash popups, just bear with them and continue app installs.
2) download and install system app mover. you need to be rooted (use Kingroot to root Mi tv3)
3) after installation open system app mover and start moving each google app
  • Google Services Framework (5.0.1-1602158)
  • Google Account Manager (5.0.1-1602158)
  • Google Play Services (8.1.15 build #2250156-230)
  • Google Calendar Sync (5.0.1-1602158)
  • Google Contacts Sync (5.0.1-1602158)
  • Google Play Store (5.9.12)
or any other google apps to system app. with each move restart the tv, don't do convert the apps all at once. while you are converting the apps you might see app crashes, just ignore them and continue.
you should, in the end, get a proper Google play store.
Bonus Apps
  • Download Youtube for TV

My TV specs
Rooted Kingroot
Software Version 1.2.0

Google play store on Mi TV 3

Google play store on Mi TV 3

Google Installer_2.0.apk

167.87 KB, Downloads: 876, Download cost : Experience -1

Google apps installer 2.0

system app mover ★ ROOT ★_v1.7.2_apkpure.com.apk

1.15 MB, Downloads: 842, Download cost : Experience -1

System app mover

Rated by 2 people   Experience Prestige Reason  

mitch002 + 10 + 5 Awesome!
ps3hatyai5 + 1 Thanks!

Experience +11  Prestige +5  View Rating Log

Credits
Device
Online time
5 Hours
Send PM
23:09, Jul-18-2016 | From PC
|
Model : MDZ-18-DA
System1 version 1.1.97 (able to use but cant update, stoppped at 95%)
System2 version 1.2.11 (blank screen)

Initially I'm using System2 and rooted but for some reason the WIFI and LAN is not able to get connected to my network. After a few try to reset factory setting it prompt for apps error and finally bootup to black screen.

Currently using System1 but I'm not able to update, it fail at 95%.

Finally found a way to install update.
First install king root, on system1. Run root and it will fail.
Install Super su and install Super Sume
Next uninstall king root, uninstall Super Sume followby Super Su.
Try run the update again. I got it install 1.2.11 after this.
It should reboot to System2 after successful updating. (My system1 remain at 1.1.94)

Credits
Device
Others
Online time
10 Hours
Send PM
08:45, Feb-23-2016 | From PC
|
This post was edited by gabehcoud at 08:47, Feb-23-2016
tezuila replied at 2016-2-21 05:53
This didn't help, unfortunately. I also tried to update the system version to 1.2.0 - but every time ...

This might possibly be a reason for the OTA update failure. Just a guess really.
https://www.androidpit.com/android-5-0-lollipop-ota-update-fail

I think it's extra important that you confirm that one of your boot environments is NOT rooted, using the test I described above. And then trying into boot that environment using the recovery mode, and run the update again, which would overwrite your other, rooted, boot environment.

Sorry to hijack this thread here but I think it needs to be emphasised:
**Honestly, any of you guys who are not sure about what you are doing should really be careful.** You already can see  from reading the instructions that there were some force close issues. The procedure is not fail proof. I spent a week trying to figure out ways of backing out and recovering from any changes before proceeding, because there is a very real risk of getting stuck in a bootloop, or worse, bricking the device.

I guess if you do end up bricking the device, the panel should still be fine and you could probably get back in business by buying a new sound bar (RMB999), assuming the aftermarket sound bar is compatible with the panel (the aftermarket sound bar is slightly different in that it has it's own independent power input and comes with a miport to hdmi cable, rather than miport to miport cable that comes with the MiTV3)

Super moderator

Happy to Help!! **

Credits
Device
Mi MIX
Online time
3118 Hours
Send PM

Mi VR HeadsetMi Water PurifierMi TV 70Mijia Story TellerYeelight Bedside LampMi Air PurifierMi Power StripMi MIXMi Yi CameraMagic CubeMi Selfie StickMijia Mi Bunny RobotMi WiFiMi USB FanMi  BunnyMi In-Ear HeadphonesMi WiFi Router MiniUnlock MedalMi HomeMi Band 2Mi Power BankMi WiFi RouterMi Bluetooth SpeakerMi HeadphonesMi Bluetooth Canon SpeakerMi Power Bank 10000MAH Mi BandMi KeyMi T-ShirtMijia Smart ShoesMijia Smart PTZ CameraMijia Electric ScooterNinebot MiniMijia VR Play 2Mi VRMi ScaleXiaomi 6 LaunchXiaomi 7th AnniversaryAnTuTuMIUI 2016MarshmallowMIUI 8Awesome!I Love MIUIMIUI 6FlashholicFantastic!MIUI 2015MIUI 7MIUI Devices ContestRedmi 2Mi 4iMi 4cMi Note ProRedmi 1SRedmi NoteRedmi 3SMi TVXiaomi Mi 4Mi PadRedmi Note 2Redmi Note 4Mi MIXMIUI World Tour1800K Forum MembersMIUI 300 WeeksOlympics Medal1900K Forum MembersMIUI Fan From BrazilFan Of MIUI IndiaFan Of MIUI GreeceMIUI Forum AppMIUI Fan from MalaysiaMi Live MedalUEFA EURO Medal5 Million Forum Posts1300K Forum MembersRocket to Future1400K Forum MembersMIUI Fan From MyanmarMIUI 6th Anniversary1500K Forum MembersPokemon Master MedalMIUI Fan From SingaporeHilal Ramadan 800K Forum Members700K Forum MembersMIUI 5th AnniversaryMalaysia Anniversary900K Forum MembersMerry ChristmasSuper FridayXiaomi 6th Anniversary1 Million Forum MembersFan of MIUI Myanmar600K Forum MembersXiaomi 5th AnniversaryDiwali Happy DiwaliMid-Autumn FestivalMIUI Fan from IndiaThanksgiving DayFan Of MIUI BangladeshMIUI 100 Million UsersHappy New YearHappy Valentine's DayMIUI Fan From PhilippinesRingolicious MedalSuper WednesdayWomen's Day MedalSingapore Merlion MedalMIUI 910 Million Forum Posts300K Forum Members2100K Forum MembersMIUI P1st AnniversaryRooster Year of 2017Super SundayI Love 2016Surge S1Happy Singles' DayMIUI Marathon MedalMIUI Weekly Poll90000 Forum MembersPuzzle Master100k Forum MembersFan Of MIUI PolandMIUI SMIUI 20 Million UsersAtaturk MourningHappy Holi MedalSuper TuesdayMIUI 2017MIUI Lucky Friday3500K Forum Members5 Million Forum App InstallsSuper SaturdayMIUI Font LoverFan Of MIUI RussiaSuper MondaySuper Thursday3 Million Forum MembersMIUI Happy Medal1 Million Forum App InstallsI Love Mi BunnyGamer Mi BunnyMiPopAlpaca Mi Bunny Summer Mi BunnyMIUI Device TeamMIUI ReviewXiaomi 8th AnniversaryMIUI 8th AnniversaryBlack SharkSurprise5 Million Forum MembersMIUI Weekly Devices QuizOreoForum Contest LoverSuper ModeratorPioneer of MIUI English Forum Ringtone Star Mi Lover MedalStar Of TechnologyMaster Of TechnologyStar Of IconsWallpaper StarTechnology GuruDie-hard MIUI FanOTA FeedbackTheme TalentMost Active MIUIerIndia Independence DayMIUI Halloween 2017MIUI SuperstarMIUI ExpertApp TalentApp StarMIUI KingMi Story TellerMi Bunny Game Master MIUI Twitter Follower2017 Annual AwardsScroll Of WisdomRedmi Quiz MasterMIUI G+ FollowerMIUI FB FollowerMIUI Translation ContributorMi TalentAndroid ElfWallpaper ExpertYouth PledgeMIUI Android 4.4 KitKatMr. DependableMIUI FollowerMIUI Medals CollectorUpdates LoverAndroid GuruDebate MasterStar Of MIUI Device TeamHumor MasterMIUI Photography Guru

11:05, Feb-15-2016 | From PC
|
Thanks for share

Elite Member

Credits
Device
Mi MIX 2
Online time
10515 Hours
Send PM

Yeelight Bedside LampMi Bluetooth SpeakerMi WiFi RouterMi VR HeadsetMi MIXMi HeadphonesMi WiFi Router MiniMi Power Bank 10000MAH Mijia VR Play 2Mi Power BankMi BandUnlock MedalMi Kids WatchMi Band 2Mi HomeMijia Story TellerMi TV 70Mi Power StripMi  BunnyXiaomi 7th AnniversaryMIUI Devices ContestMIUI 8I Love MIUIAwesome!FlashholicFantastic!MIUI 2015MIUI 2016MIUI 7Mi 4cRedmi Note 3Mi PadMi TVRedmi Note 24 Million Forum MembersXiaomi Mi 4Thanksgiving Day1800K Forum MembersUEFA EURO MedalMid-Autumn FestivalHappy Valentine's DayMIUI Forum App1400K Forum Members1500K Forum Members1 Million Forum MembersMIUI 300 Weeks800K Forum MembersXiaomi 6th AnniversaryPokemon Master Medal900K Forum MembersMIUI 6th AnniversaryMIUI Fan From SingaporeMIUI Fan From NepalFan Of MIUI IndiaOlympics MedalMIUI Fan from IndiaMi Live MedalSurge S1MIUI 2017Super SundayFan Of MIUI ItalyCamera Filter Guru MedalMIUI Fan from TurkeyHappy New YearMIUI PDiwali Rocket to FutureMIUI Happy MedalSuper WednesdaySuper MondayMIUI 9Super SaturdaySuper Tuesday300K Forum MembersMIUI Monthly TalkMIUI Lucky FridayMIUI World TourMerry ChristmasMIUI Weekly Poll2100K Forum MembersI Love 2016MIUI Fan From Indonesia1 Million Forum App InstallsHappy DiwaliFan Of MIUI RussiaRooster Year of 2017Alpaca Mi Bunny I Love Mi BunnyMiPopSummer Mi BunnyGamer Mi BunnyMIUI ReviewMIUI Beta TeamForum Contest LoverMost Popular Forum UserMi Bunny Game Master Xiaomi 8th AnniversaryMi TalentApp StarMi MIX 2MIUI Follower2017 Annual AwardsDie-hard MIUI FanMIUI SuperstarMIUI G+ FollowerMr. DependableMIUI Medals CollectorAndroid ElfMi Story TellerScroll Of WisdomMIUI FB FollowerMIUI ExpertHumor MasterStar Of TechnologyMaster Of TechnologyApp TalentMIUI Android 4.4 KitKatTechnology GuruMIUI KingPioneer of MIUI English Forum Ringtone Star Debate MasterInbox ZeroMi Lover MedalOTA FeedbackAndroid Guru

12:19, Feb-16-2016 | From PC
|
thanks for sharing.

Owner of Redmi 1s, Redmi Note 4g, Mi 4i, Mi 4, Mi Metal Mousepad, Mi Band, Mi WiFi Nano Smart Router Youth Edition.

Credits
Device
Others
Online time
23 Hours
Send PM
10:38, Feb-17-2016 | From PC
|
Theoretically speaking now you are able to install this : "Android TV Launcher"
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.google.android.leanbacklauncher

Can you please let me know?

Credits
Device
Mi 3
Online time
4 Hours
Send PM
11:46, Feb-17-2016 | From PC
|
I'm disappointed . Doesn't work on my Xiaomi MiBox 3 (MDZ- 16 -AA, firmware version 1.3.114).

Credits
Device
Others
Online time
10 Hours
Send PM
21:40, Feb-17-2016 | From PC
|
UnlockME replied at 2016-2-17 10:38
Theoretically speaking now you are able to install this : "Android TV Launcher"
https://play.google. ...

Yes you can. I have it installed and sort of working on mine. You don't even need to root or have play services installed. It doesn't show recommendations or give access to the settings menu though, so its functionally pretty basic at this point.

Credits
Device
Others
Online time
10 Hours
Send PM
07:50, Feb-20-2016 | From PC
|
I tried tackling this in a different way. I looked inside the opengapps zip (5.1-arm-pico). There are at 11 core apks and a some framework files so I'm guessing there are some important pieces missing from just installing the few google play services and play store apks as system apps. Also, the core apps need to go in /system/priv-app, not /system/app in order to have the correct runtime privileges. I manually copied in every thing in opengapps using the update_binary script in the zip as a reference. It was very tedious but It worked very well. It booted up cleanly and I was able to add my google account and access the play store and install apps with no force closes or other odd behaviour from either the xiaomi apps or the google stuff.
The only downside is that the opengapps are meant for mobiles and tables and I think the core play services and play store use different apks for Android TV that are not included in opengapps yet. So you get a hybrid of mobile play store and services running on what looks like an Android TV platform (check ro.build.charactersistics in the /system/build.prop - it's a TV build). So you need a mouse to effectively use the play store, and a keyboard. Youtube and google play music, Kodi and Plex all work fine though (you can configure Plex to use a TV type UI). Netflix won't even open, and for some reason the Leanback launcher that previously worked won't even start now. Not sure why since it worked before installing the google play stuff.

I also got adb over tcpip working. If anyone is struggling with that that I can post the steps I took.

Elite Member

Credits
Device
Redmi Note 2
Online time
169 Hours
Send PM

Mi HeadphonesYeelight Bedside LampMi Band 2Mi Power BankMarshmallowMIUI 8Awesome!MIUI 7I Love MIUIFantastic!MIUI 2016Mi 4cRedmi Note 2Fan Of MIUI GreeceHilal Ramadan UEFA EURO MedalXiaomi 6th AnniversaryXiaomi 5th AnniversaryHappy Valentine's DayFan Of MIUI India1300K Forum Members5 Million Forum Posts1400K Forum MembersMIUI Fan From Singapore1500K Forum MembersMIUI Forum AppMIUI Fan From NepalMi Live MedalMIUI 6th AnniversaryMIUI Fan From IndonesiaMIUI Fan from IndiaMIUI Fan From MyanmarOlympics MedalMIUI Fan from MalaysiaPokemon Master MedalMIUI Fan From VietnamI Love Mi BunnySummer Mi BunnyAlpaca Mi Bunny Gamer Mi BunnyAndroid GuruDebate MasterStar Of TechnologyMIUI Medals CollectorMi Bunny Game Master Die-hard MIUI FanRingtone Star Mi Lover MedalAndroid ElfScroll Of WisdomMIUI FollowerStar Of IconsTechnology GuruForum Contest LoverMi TalentMIUI FB FollowerWallpaper ExpertMIUI G+ FollowerMIUI Twitter FollowerYouth PledgeMi Story Teller

07:56, Feb-20-2016 | From PC
|
Thanks for sharing
We are not great when we start, but we must start to be great.

http://en.miui.com/?fromuid=1593918665

MIUI 9 Alpha Team - China

Share to share

Credits
Device
Mi MIX 2S
Online time
640 Hours
Send PM

Mi BandMi Bluetooth SpeakerMi Power BankMagic CubeUnlock MedalMijia VR Play 2Xiaomi 6 LaunchYeelight Bedside LampMi WiFi Router MiniMi Yi CameraMi In-Ear HeadphonesMi  BunnyMi Selfie StickMi MIXMi HomeMi Power Bank 10000MAH Mi TV 70Mi KeyMijia Story TellerMi Bluetooth HeadsetMijia Qi CycleMi Band 2Xiaomi 7th AnniversaryMIUI 7MarshmallowMIUI 2016I Love MIUIFlashholicMIUI Devices ContestMIUI 8Fantastic!Awesome!Redmi Note 4Redmi Note 2Mi MIXRedmi 3SRedmi 2Mi 5sMi 4SRedmi ProMi TVRedmi 3Mi Note ProMi 5XRedmi Note 4XMi Max 24 Million Forum MembersMi 5Mi Pad 2Xiaomi Mi 6Redmi NoteRedmi 4XMi NoteMi 3Xiaomi Mi 4Redmi Note 3Mi Max Mi 4cMid-Autumn FestivalHappy DiwaliDiwali Mi Live MedalMIUI 300 Weeks1500K Forum MembersMIUI Forum AppXiaomi 5th Anniversary1800K Forum MembersMIUI 6th AnniversaryMIUI Fan From MyanmarHilal Ramadan 1300K Forum MembersMIUI Fan From VietnamMIUI Fan From BrazilFan Of MIUI GreeceMIUI Fan From SingaporeFan Of MIUI Poland5 Million Forum PostsFan Of MIUI IndiaUEFA EURO MedalOlympics MedalPokemon Master MedalMIUI Fan from MalaysiaMIUI Fan from IndiaXiaomi 6th AnniversaryMIUI Fan From Nepal1400K Forum MembersSuper MondaySuper ThursdayPuzzle MasterAtaturk MourningHappy Holi Medal5 Million Forum App Installs3 Million Forum Members10 Million Forum PostsHappy Valentine's DayMIUI Lucky FridayFan Of MIUI BulgariaRocket to FutureSuper WednesdayMIUI Font LoverSuper SundayMIUI 91900K Forum MembersSuper Saturday90000 Forum MembersFan Of MIUI AustraliaMIUI 7th Anniversary3500K Forum Members300K Forum MembersSuper TuesdayMIUI SMIUI PMIUI Happy Medal3 Million Forum App InstallsWomen's Day MedalFan Of MIUI RussiaThanksgiving Day1 Million Forum App InstallsMerry ChristmasMIUI Weekly PollFan Of MIUI BangladeshMIUI 20 Million UsersI Love 2016Fan Of MIUI ItalyMIUI World TourRooster Year of 2017MIUI Monthly Talk2100K Forum MembersFan Of MIUI SpainHappy New YearMIUI 2017MIUI Fan from TurkeyAlpaca Mi Bunny I Love Mi BunnyMiPopGamer Mi BunnySummer Mi BunnyMIUI Beta TeamMIUI ReviewTheme Talent25 Million StrongMost Active MIUIerMIUI Medals CollectorMIUI 8th AnniversaryMi Bunny Game Master Mi Story TellerStar WarsMi 5X2017 Annual AwardsAndroid GuruDebate MasterMIUI Halloween 2017Xiaomi 8th AnniversaryAndroid Elf9 Million Forum MembersSurpriseDie-hard MIUI FanMr. DependableMIUI FollowerMi TalentJuly 19 MyanmarUpdates LoverTechnology GuruMIUI Android 4.4 KitKatMIUI ExpertApp TalentStar Of TechnologyWallpaper StarApp Talent7 Million Forum MembersMIUI KingApp StarMIUI SuperstarMIUI Wallpaper ContestMIUI G+ FollowerMIUI Twitter FollowerMIUI FB FollowerRingtone Star Wallpaper ExpertOTA FeedbackMaster Of TechnologyYouth PledgeScroll Of WisdomStar Of IconsForum Contest LoverHumor MasterInbox ZeroMi Lover Medal

20:04, Feb-20-2016 | Via mobile
|
Perfect. Thanks!

Platinum Member

Credits
Device
Redmi Note 2
Online time
62 Hours
Send PM

Mi HomeUnlock MedalMi WiFi Router MiniMi BandMi TV 70Mi Power BankMi BoxXiaomi 7th AnniversaryMIUI 8Fantastic!MIUI 2016MIUI 7MIUI 2015I Love MIUIRedmi 31 Million Forum MembersThanksgiving DayRooster Year of 2017Xiaomi 6th AnniversaryRocket to FutureXiaomi 5th AnniversaryMIUI 9Pokemon Master MedalSurge S1MIUI Fan From PhilippinesHilal Ramadan UEFA EURO MedalMerry Christmas1400K Forum MembersOlympics Medal1500K Forum MembersMIUI 300 Weeks5 Million Forum PostsGamer Mi BunnySummer Mi BunnyYouth PledgeDie-hard MIUI FanForum Contest LoverOTA FeedbackPioneer of MIUI English Forum Debate MasterAndroid GuruMIUI G+ FollowerTechnology GuruMIUI Android 4.4 KitKatMIUI FollowerScroll Of WisdomMIUI Twitter FollowerWallpaper ExpertMIUI FB FollowerMIUI Medals Collector

20:18, Feb-20-2016 | From PC
|
mi tv 3 is great

Credits Management

Quick Reply Top Return to the list