Elite Member

Credits
Device
Mi 5 Pro
MIUI Version
Online time
793 Hours
Send PM

Mi KeyMi WiFi Router MiniMi BandMi In-Ear HeadphonesI Love MIUIAwesome!MIUI 6MIUI 2015Fantastic!Mi 4iMi 2Redmi NoteRedmi 2Mi 3Xiaomi Mi 4RedmiMi TV90000 Forum Members1 Million Forum MembersMIUI 3rd AnniversaryMIUI English Forum 2013100k Forum MembersFan Of MIUI UKMIUI 50 Million UsersMIUI V5 ReviewHilal Ramadan 300K Forum MembersMIUI Fan From PhilippinesMIUI 100 Million Users500K Forum MembersXiaomi 5th Anniversary1st AnniversaryMIUI 30 Million UsersMIUI Forum AppMIUI Fan From IndonesiaMIUI 4th AnniversarySummer Mi BunnyI Love Mi BunnyAndroid GuruMIUI Android 4.4 KitKatMIUI Medals CollectorOTA FeedbackDie-hard MIUI FanMIUI FB FollowerPioneer of MIUI English Forum MIUI FollowerMIUI Wallpaper ContestMIUI ExpertStar Of Themes

[Guide] MIUI Theme Editor user Guide (2013.11.15) New Version

[ Promote]
262796 465 |
17:36, Feb-22-2013 | From PC
|
|
Go to reply no.
This post was edited by shahzad 15:08,Nov-25-2013

Note : This Guide was written for MIUI V4 But is equally valid for V5.
About free desktop : If your old them have the V4 free desktop then just change the version of theme and it will upgrade the Free desktop to V5  

This is a user guide for MIUI Latest Theme Editor Released on 2013.1.31

Some times you really like a theme but you don't like some parts of it then you can edit it very easily using MIUI theme editor or want to creat your own theme from scratch then this guide is for you.

Things you need
  • MIUI Theme Editor (Check below for latest Version)
  • Working ADB Drivers on your PC.
  • Android Phone with MIUI on it.
  • Image Editor (GIMP,Photshop etc )
  • NinePatchEditor (Optional) NinePatchEditor.zip (2.32 MB, Downloads: 11612)

Related Guides

[Guide] For new ICON transfermation feature of theme editor
[Guide] Creating Dynamic ICONs for MIUI V5 Themes
[Guide] Adding English Folder List and xml hints to Theme Editor Tool v3.3.29
[Guide] MIUI V5 Theme filter feature !!!

Theme Editor Versions

Aditional Material

Setting up English Language.
Download the Theme Editor and Run it.
first time it may have the interface in chinese. So here is how  to change it

Guide Screenshot 1

3. Creating an New theme
Go to Fle > New Theme
and you will see the window below. In put the name of your theme and save it.

Guide Screenshot 2

Then you will see the following window. ( Description in screen shot )

Guide Screenshot 3

Buttons
All the buttons are self explanatory but i will add some description where needed

• Save : This is to save the changes made to the projects.
  • Generate full MTZ : This is used to compress and make the mtz file of the theme project to be used in phone
  • Apply Recent Changes : For this and next option to work your phone must be connected to PC. this option apply the recent theme changes to your connected phone (Useful when testing a smal change).
  • Full apply: This option apply the Full theme to your Phone.
  • Reload: This option will discard unsaved changes and will load the theme from theme directory (added PNG's Will stay there, will be explained later)
  • Setting: Have only option to copress the font if you want.(Have'nt used it).

Different Tabs and their Functions        
Now Some information about diffrent Tabs and options on them.

• Description Tab: Already explained in screen shot shown above.
  • Icons Tab: This tab is used to add icons to theme.When you click on the icon tab it have three further tabs, System icons, Default theme icons and Others. Before you proceed further Click on Sync button at the bottom of the icons. (Your phone must be connected in debug mode to the PC) This sync option will get all default icons from your phone including 3rd party apps. Now to change any Icons check below.

Guide screenshot 4

on the default theme icons tab there are some default 3rd party icons avialable in theme editor and others tab have the icons repalcement option for apps installed in your phone. procedure is same for all three tabs
      Note. you dont need to rename your icon, Progran will do  it for you! just drop it to the proper place.

Thats it if you just want to creat new icon pack. Just click on create full MTZ button and copy the mtz file to your phone and import it to theme manager or just click complete  apply to your theme. But if you want to theme your Apps and change text colors then read on :)

3.  Modules tab: This tab is the most important tab for themeing MIUI.

Guide Screenshot 5

Creating New App Module

Here is how to create the App's theme module.
Guide Screenshot 6

As an example I have selected the Contacts module (only one module at a time). you will see screen shown below , if different then click "change edit mode" button.
Guide Screenshot 7

Now click on the first item in the folder view and follow the screen shot. again names of your png's doesnt matter. you have to go through all the view and find the red boxes, click on it and repalce the png's you want to change. If you want to keep the system default png just leave it blanck.

Guide Screenshot 8

For modifying PNG's you can use the V4_templete (link at top) png's as a refrence. you can edit them to your requirements and  then use them.

Changing the text Color
To change the text colors of the module items, click on the "change edit mode" button while contacts module is stille open. see bellow.

Guide Screenshot 9

Guide Screenshot  10

Important
Do the same procedure for all the Modules and modify PNG's and color's in it. Framework-miui-res and Framework-res are most important modules. Changes in Framework-miui-res effects all the MIUI applications, especially colors and Changes in Framework-res module can effect both MIUI apps and any other 3rd party app so be careful !!!! you might get white on white color problem.

Testing
Now its time to test your theme before release/share. You should test all the MIUI apps for proper theming as well as 3rd party apps for color problems. If you find any problem then just reopen or drag drop you theme directory on Theme Editor to reopen /edit your theme.

Questions and Suggestions are Welcome
Favorite120 Share

Rated by 105 people   Experience Prestige Reason  

fsuuaas + 5 Awesome!
ibnu_13 + 1 Great!
BBCbreno + 1 Fantastic!
fid14 + 1 Thanks!
zipp1001 + 1 Thanks!
hariisway + 1 Fantastic!
Akiraigo5 + 1 Thanks!
mrzag84 + 1 Fantastic!
natraj + 1 Thanks!
pa2i + 2 Awesome!
marc.com + 1 Great!
MarshallRebel + 5 Fantastic!
adicita + 1 Great!
jishnu.jdn + 1 Thanks! Saw a few language errors. I am
iamvamc + 2 Thanks!
mgnvratnam + 1 Very Good Tutorial
622035177 + 1 Awesome!
htnawhsay + 1 Fantastic!
djank + 1 Great!
Leoglady + 1 Great!
vijjusri14 + 1 Fantastic!
KOPTER + 1 Great!
ravenspell + 1 Fantastic!
aguy46 + 1 Awesome!
the_mp + 1 Thanks!
jessmiui + 1 Awesome!
kingamzan + 1 Awesome!

Experience +223  Prestige +15  View Rating Log

Elite Member

Credits
Device
Mi 5 Pro
MIUI Version
Online time
793 Hours
Send PM

Mi KeyMi WiFi Router MiniMi BandMi In-Ear HeadphonesI Love MIUIAwesome!MIUI 6MIUI 2015Fantastic!Mi 4iMi 2Redmi NoteRedmi 2Mi 3Xiaomi Mi 4RedmiMi TV90000 Forum Members1 Million Forum MembersMIUI 3rd AnniversaryMIUI English Forum 2013100k Forum MembersFan Of MIUI UKMIUI 50 Million UsersMIUI V5 ReviewHilal Ramadan 300K Forum MembersMIUI Fan From PhilippinesMIUI 100 Million Users500K Forum MembersXiaomi 5th Anniversary1st AnniversaryMIUI 30 Million UsersMIUI Forum AppMIUI Fan From IndonesiaMIUI 4th AnniversarySummer Mi BunnyI Love Mi BunnyAndroid GuruMIUI Android 4.4 KitKatMIUI Medals CollectorOTA FeedbackDie-hard MIUI FanMIUI FB FollowerPioneer of MIUI English Forum MIUI FollowerMIUI Wallpaper ContestMIUI ExpertStar Of Themes

Author| 22:27, Sep-03-2014 | From PC
|
Sunnykeerthi replied at 2014-9-3 21:48
Hi @shazad , can you please help me with the issue posted here.

http://en.miui.com/thread-41096-1-1 ...

I gave your information to the responsible admin . I hope you will get the response till tomorrow afternoon (Chinese time)

Rated by 1 person   Experience Reason  

Sunnykeerthi + 1 Fantastic!

Experience +1  View Rating Log

Credits
Device
Redmi Note 3
MIUI Version
Online time
4 Hours
Send PM

Mi Lover Medal

21:14, Nov-25-2016 | From PC
|
I cannot make it work. It has annoying lag and in the end I get some notifications, one on top of the other, something like
- root + smth  in chineze
- No phone found
- Tr... (obscured by others)

I put my phone in debug mode, I allowed it to install ShowApp. I cannot dismiss the notification with click on Got it. I cannot close the app on my computer unless I unplug the USB cable.
I watched the tutorials on youtube, read this thread but nothing helped.
ADB is properly installed because I had to clean install my phone - I got it with an adware.

I'm already sick of this MIUI - every time my phone reboots I have to re-grant permissions for several apps and the battery life is a joke for 4000mA - have to charge phone every day. Lenovo lasts a week with one charge at the same 4000mA.

I hopped that at least I'll be able to make a completely dark theme to save some juice. But this is a joke too.

Sorry for being such a whiny baby but I'm at the bottom of my patience...
BTW, is there a way to filter the forum to see only comment and not replys with ok just to unlock features? Filtering the badges and medals and stuff? it takes ages to find something here. Not to mention that search is limited - who ever heard of such thing!!!

Elite Member

Credits
Device
Mi 5 Pro
MIUI Version
Online time
793 Hours
Send PM

Author| 17:36, Feb-22-2013 | From PC
|
This post was edited by shahzad 18:31,Feb-22-2013

xml Color Guide
This is refrence guide for text color tag's
post the questions about the color tag you want to know about and i will try to find and update it in this post

for example  
Q : What is the color tag for status bar bottom tabs  text
A : com.android.systemui  theme_values.xml tab_label_color_n for normal tab and tab_lable_color_p for pressed tab

Elite Member

Credits
Device
Mi 5 Pro
MIUI Version
Online time
793 Hours
Send PM

Author| 17:36, Feb-22-2013 | From PC
|
This post was edited by shahzad 09:28,Feb-25-2013

Editing *.9.png files

First you should understand what are 9-patch or *.9.png files
This is a good description on android developer
Editing is not so difficult as we dont have to compile the 9.png's  for MIIUI theme editor. It it required for AOSP android themeing but MIUI Theme editor do it automatically.
So here are the steps

• Take any old 9.png file and open it in any Image editor mensioned in the first post
  • First thing you will notice, is a black line at the right and bottom of the image. and a dot or small line at the top and left side of the image. you need to remove these lines. actualy you should crop out these one pixel lines from the image.
  • Or you can just create a new image.
  • Modify the png file the way you want and save to your computer.
  • Now open that image into Draw-9-Patch tool or NinePatchTool( I recomend later because its too tedious to draw borders in Draw-9-Patch )
  • Open the modified file the patch editor.
  • Draw the content and strech borders, (if you dont under stand it then just made the borders like in origional png)
  • save it and Use it in theme editor

9 Patch Guide 1

9 Patch Guide 1

Administrator

Flashing

Credits
Device
Mi 5
MIUI Version
Online time
5783 Hours
Send PM

Mi MIXMi HomeAwesome!I Love MIUIMIUI 2016Fantastic!MIUI Devices ContestMi TVMIUI 50 Million UsersThanksgiving DayDiwali MIUI 20 Million UsersMIUI V5 ReviewMIUI 3rd Anniversary2014 ChristmasMIUI Fan From SingaporeFan Of MIUI RussiaMIUI 4th Anniversary1800K Forum MembersSuper SundayMIUI Fan From Nepal90000 Forum MembersMIUI Fan from TurkeyMIUI Forum AppI Love Mi BunnyMIUI Android 4.4 KitKatOTA FeedbackPioneer of MIUI English Forum Die-hard MIUI Fan

20:14, Feb-22-2013 | From PC
|
Hi, shahzad, sorry for the inconvenience. Fixed now! You can upload the pics now. :loveliness:

Elite Member

Credits
Device
Mi 5 Pro
MIUI Version
Online time
793 Hours
Send PM

Author| 20:56, Feb-22-2013 | From PC
|
Reply Nanana Add Thread

Thanks! added the pictures!

Elite Member

Credits
Device
Mi3
MIUI Version
Online time
931 Hours
Send PM

Mi In-Ear HeadphonesI Love MIUIMi 3MIUI 3rd AnniversaryHappy Singles' Day100k Forum MembersDiwali MIUI 20 Million UsersAtaturk MourningMIUI 4th Anniversary90000 Forum MembersI Love Mi BunnyMost Active MIUIerMIUI Wallpaper ContestMost Popular Forum UserOTA FeedbackPioneer of MIUI English Forum Star Of Themes

21:07, Feb-22-2013 | From PC
|
Great thread! very helpful!

MIUI Beta Team - China

Credits
Device
Redmi Note 4X
MIUI Version
Online time
791 Hours
Send PM

Xiaomi 6 LaunchMi HeadphonesMi Band 2Mi Selfie StickMi VRMi HomeMi Bluetooth SpeakerUnlock MedalXiaomi 7th AnniversaryMIUI Devices ContestMIUI 7MIUI 2016Fantastic!I Love MIUIAwesome!MIUI 6MIUI 8Mi 4c4 Million Forum MembersRedmi Note 4XRedmi 2Redmi 3Redmi Note 2I Love 2016MIUI 20173 Million Forum App InstallsHappy New Year100k Forum Members2100K Forum MembersMerry Christmas1800K Forum MembersMIUI 300 WeeksMIUI 100 Million UsersMIUI Forum App1500K Forum MembersMIUI Lucky Friday1400K Forum MembersHappy Valentine's DayRooster Year of 2017MIUI 95 Million Forum App InstallsSuper FridayMIUI Happy MedalSuper Saturday90000 Forum MembersSuper Sunday3500K Forum MembersMIUI Font LoverSurge S1Super ThursdayWomen's Day MedalPuzzle MasterSuper TuesdaySuper MondaySuper WednesdayMIUI 7th Anniversary3 Million Forum Members10 Million Forum PostsGamer Mi BunnyMIUI Beta TeamScroll Of WisdomMIUI FB FollowerMost Popular Forum UserPioneer of MIUI English Forum Forum Contest LoverDebate MasterDie-hard MIUI FanMIUI Ice Bucket ChallengeMi Lover MedalAndroid GuruMIUI FollowerUpdates LoverStar Of  MIUI Beta TeamMi Bunny Game Master

01:51, Feb-23-2013 | From PC
|
this is awesome! pages saved , thanks

Platinum Member

#miuilove

Credits
Device
Mi3
MIUI Version
Online time
256 Hours
Send PM

Mi In-Ear HeadphonesI Love MIUIAwesome!Mi 3Mi 1300K Forum MembersMIUI 3rd AnniversaryFan MIUI Philippines100k Forum MembersFan Of MIUI ItalyMIUI Fan From PhilippinesMIUI 20 Million UsersI Love Mi BunnyMIUI News TeamMIUI Wallpaper ContestOTA FeedbackMIUI FollowerMIUI Global Forum 2014Star MIUI News Team MemberPioneer of MIUI English Forum

06:40, Feb-23-2013 | From PC
|
Great guide you have here. It's really helpful!
USE the SEARCH button before posting

joshuatumanda.com | Hostel in Adelaide

MIUI Fan Site

Credits
Device
Mi 4
MIUI Version
Online time
750 Hours
Send PM

Mi BoxI Love MIUIAwesome!MIUI 6Mi 3MIUI English Forum 20131 Million Forum MembersMIUI 30 Million UsersFan Of MIUI HungaryMIUI 50 Million Users100k Forum MembersPioneer of MIUI English Forum Star Of IconsOTA FeedbackMIUI Android 4.4 KitKat

23:43, Feb-23-2013 | From PC
|
Thanks for sharing.
aka vagyula

MIUI Hungary
Facebook/miuihu
MIUI Hungarian Translator

Crusing...

Credits
Device
Mi2
MIUI Version
Online time
341 Hours
Send PM

MIUI V5 ReviewI Love Mi BunnySuper ModeratorMost Active MIUIer

03:43, Feb-24-2013 | From PC
|
You sir are good. Thank you very much for this guide. Makes it almost bulletproof for us noobs in programming to make themes.

Rated by 1 person   Experience Reason  

shahzad + 4 Thanks!

Experience +4  View Rating Log

What you see here is...
The rambling verses of a bored man who decided he should have a signature but didn't know what
to sign so he just sat there at his computer writing whatever came to his mind and as a result...
...now you know you should have stopped reading a long time ago, don't you??
////
MIUI Forum Rules & Guidelines
Per Device Bugs Threads

Credits Management

Quick Reply Top Return to the list