Platinum Member

Credits
Device
Sony LT26i
Online time
285 Hours
Send PM

I Love MIUIAwesome!Mi TVMIUI 4th AnniversaryFan Of MIUI UKI Love Mi BunnyOTA FeedbackMIUI FollowerAndroid GuruForum Contest LoverPioneer of MIUI English Forum

[MUST READ] MIUI on Nexus 7 II: What You Need To Know

[ Promote]
20592 25 |
06:29, Apr-30-2014 | From PC
|
|
Go to reply no.
This thread is a collection of the most important things you need to know for using MIUI on your Nexus 7 II. Nexus 7 (2013) support MIUIv6, which is based on Android 4.4.2 KitKat. Before creating a new thread or posting a bug, make sure that it hasn't been posted or answered already in this thread.
NOTE: MIUI only works on the WiFi version (flo) of the Nexus 7 (2013)

Table of Contents
Reviews
Adb, Fastboot and Recovery
Downloading ROMs
Flashing a ROM
Flashing Gapps (Google Play Store)
Rooting
Useful Apps
Bugs / Reporting
Credits, Suggestions and Improvements

Don't own a Nexus 7 (2013) yet? Buy one from the official Google Play Store here!

Flashing Guide
Favorite5 Share

Rated by 5 people   Experience Prestige Reason  

p8z68ud2h + 1 Great!
hacklana + 5 Great!
Hburhani + 5 Great!
KateZ + 10 + 2 Awesome!
Nanana + 10 Awesome!

Experience +31  Prestige +2  View Rating Log

Platinum Member

Credits
Device
Sony LT26i
Online time
285 Hours
Send PM

I Love MIUIAwesome!Mi TVMIUI 4th AnniversaryFan Of MIUI UKI Love Mi BunnyOTA FeedbackMIUI FollowerAndroid GuruForum Contest LoverPioneer of MIUI English Forum

Author| 06:29, Apr-30-2014 | From PC
|

Nexus 7 II: What You Need To Know

This post was edited by Jaapp at 06:08, Apr-30-2014

Flashing Gapps (Google Play Store)
When you have flashed MIUI and have gone through the setup, you'll notice that all Google apps are missing for two reasons:
  • Google legally restricts adding Google apps to custom ROMs
  • MIUI features its own app store: the Xiaomi market

Google Apps (gapps), namely the Google Play Store, can be flashed to the ROM.

Installing Gapps
1. Download the attached gapps .zip package called 'OTA-Safe_Gapps.zip' and put it on your sdcard.
Note: This is a minimal kind of gapps which is 'OTA-safe', which means that the MIUI ROM can still automatically apply OTA updates. This gapps package contains basic gapps features, like the Play Store (which can be used to download other Google Apps and Google Play Services (Core app which is required for other Google apps).

2. Boot to recovery -> Install -> flash 'OTA-Safe_Gapps.zip'
3. Reboot

Now you are able to connect to your Google account and use the Play Store.

OTA-safe_Gapps.zip

18.8 MB, Downloads: 20553, Download cost : Experience -1

Rated by 1 person   Experience Reason  

YihShin + 1 Awesome! For the OTA Safe GAPPS

Experience +1  View Rating Log

Platinum Member

Credits
Device
Sony LT26i
Online time
285 Hours
Send PM

|

Platinum Member

Credits
Device
Sony LT26i
Online time
285 Hours
Send PM

|

This post was edited by Jaapp at 19:21, May-04-2014

Adb, Fastboot and Recovery

Adb (Android Debug Bridge) and fastboot are command line tools used for interaction between your computer and your android device. Using these is a great way to unlock the bootloader and flash a recovery on your tablet so you can flash MIUI.
Recommended recovery: TWRP (Team Win Recovery Project)

TWRP Download Page

How to flash:
1. Unlock your bootloader if you haven't already: Run the following fastboot command in the bootloader (more info on how to set up fastboot and bootloader later this post)
  1. fastboot oem unlock
Copy the Code
WARNING: The data partition will be wiped by unlocking the bootloader, backup everything you don't want to lose
2. Install fastboot and adb using this tool.
3. Connect the device to your computer and enable 'USB debugging' in developer options (if developer options are not enabled: tap Settings -> About Table -> Build Number (x7 times))
4. Open command prompt (on windows: Windows + R -> type 'cmd')
  • You can verify if fastboot and adb work by executing 'fastboot' or 'adb'
5. Navigate to the location of "openrecovery-twrp-X.X.X.X-flo.img" with the 'cd' command. Example:
  1. cd 'C:\Users\myname\Downloads'
Copy the Code
6. Boot your device to bootloader by either
  • Reboot the device and hold volume button down until you see the android menu
  • Or, with the tablet turned on and connected with USB debugging, run
    1. adb reboot bootloader
    Copy the Code
7. Once in bootloader, flash the recovery by running
  1. fastboot flash recovery openrecovery-twrp-X.X.X.X-flo.img
Copy the Code
where X.X.X.X is the version number of the recovery you downloaded.
Tip: To avoid the struggle with typing the exact name, you can type as far as 'openrecov' and press tab, it will magically autofill.

8. Wait a half second experiencing the flashing, and done!
  • You can get into recovery by going through the menu options with the volume keys and choosing 'reboot recovery' with the power button

If you want to flash a kernel instead of recovery, use 'boot' instead of 'recovery':
  1. fastboot flash boot kernelname.img
Copy the Code

Platinum Member

Credits
Device
Sony LT26i
Online time
285 Hours
Send PM

|

Downloading ROMs

For the Nexus 7 (2013), there are 2 MIUI ROM providers that bring out daily updates:
Official MIUI ROM
The official MIUI ROM can be downloaded at the download page of this forum.
This version features a weekly OTA update, every week a new version (file size: ~10MB) is downloaded and installed automatically applied!
The official version has English and Chinese as available languages.

Xiaomi.eu International MIUI ROM
The big plus of this version is the multilanguage support.
Currently the Nexus 7 II international version features these languages:
  • English
  • Chinese
  • Polish
  • Slovak
  • Czech
  • Bulgarian
  • Hungarian
  • French
  • Russian

The international version can be downloaded from Xiaomi.eu -> Roms

A downside of this version is that this version doesn't support OTA, so the full ROM has to be downloaded every week to stay updated. (keep in mind that Xiaomi.eu usually provides faster download speeds to Europe and America than the official Xiaomi downloads from China, which can be very slow at times because China's firewall)

Platinum Member

Credits
Device
Sony LT26i
Online time
285 Hours
Send PM

|

Flashing a ROM

Once the recovery works, the hardest part is over and you don't need your computer anymore (though it can come in very handy).

Flashing a ROM Through Recovery
1. Download a ROM and put it on your sdcard
  • You can download the ROM directly from the tablet or
  • Download the ROM to your pc, and put it on your sdcard with adb:
    1. adb push 'C:\path\to\MIUI.zip' /sdcard/
    Copy the Code
NOTE: Be patient, it can take some minutes to transfer the ROM.

2. Boot to recovery by either of these ways
  • Reboot the tablet and hold volume button up
  • Reboot to the bootloader and choose reboot recovery
  • Through adb:
    1. adb reboot recovery
    Copy the Code

3. If you currently don't have MIUI installed on your tablet, you need to do a factory reset through Wipe -> Advanced Wipe -> 'System', 'Data', 'Cache' and 'Dalvik-Cache'. If a version of MIUI is already installed, wiping 'Cache' and 'Dalvik-Cache' should be sufficient.
WARNING: By wiping 'System' you can't boot your tablet to android until you have installed a ROM again
By wiping 'Data' you will lose all apps, appdata, contacts, settings etc. your 'sdcard' files with stay save.
By wiping 'Internal Storage' you will lose everything on your 'sdcard', like music, videos, pictures etc. I don't recommend ever using this.

4. From the main recovery menu press Install, navigate to the ROM file (ending with '.zip') and flash it. You can now reboot the tablet and MIUI is succesfully installed, congratulations!

Platinum Member

Credits
Device
Sony LT26i
Online time
285 Hours
Send PM

|

This post was edited by Jaapp at 06:09, Apr-30-2014

Rooting
Rooting your device makes it possible to give apps permission to make changes on system level. This allows you to use apps to backup other apps and kernels, tweak the performance of the device and much more. If a recovery is installed, rooting is as easy as flashing gapps.

Rooting your device
1. Download the latest SuperSU from here or the one attached to this post and put it on the Internal Storage.
2. Reboot to recovery -> Install -> flash 'UPDATE-SuperSU-v1.94.zip'
3. Reboot and start the new SuperSU app to finish installation.
4. Your tablet now has root access, and apps can be granted root permission.

UPDATE-SuperSU-v1.94.zip

1.15 MB, Downloads: 226, Download cost : Experience -1

Platinum Member

Credits
Device
Sony LT26i
Online time
285 Hours
Send PM

|

This post was edited by Jaapp at 06:09, Apr-30-2014

Useful Apps
You should take a look at these apps if you don't know or use them already.

Titanium Backup
Titanium backup is a multifunctional app with which you can backup all your apps to the Internal Storage. When you wipe 'Data' through recovery, you can restore all your backed up apps with it.
Play Store Link

Flashify
Flashify is a very useful app when it comes to flashing ROMs, kernels and other flash .zip files. Just choose which files you want to flash, what you want to wipe and it will automate the process for you.
Play Store Link

Trickster MOD
Trickster MOD is a great app for tweaking your tablet's performance, ranging from changing the CPU frequencies to enabling ADB over WIFI to backing up and restoring your kernel. Super useful!
Play Store Link

Platinum Member

Credits
Device
Sony LT26i
Online time
285 Hours
Send PM

|

This post was edited by Jaapp at 06:13, Apr-30-2014

Bugs / Reporting
MIUIv6 for Nexus 7 II is still in an early version, some apps are still not fully or not at all implemented and you may encounter some bugs. You can report bugs at the official bug thread, make sure that the bug hasn't been posted already.

Platinum Member

Credits
Device
Sony LT26i
Online time
285 Hours
Send PM

|

This post was edited by Jaapp at 19:56, May-03-2014

Credits
I'd like to thank everyone in this community for being awesome, you're great!

Special thanks to:
@garner & @shahzad - Inspirational Threads
@meredithhan - MIUI ROM Flashing Guide for Nexus 7 II
@hacklana - [BUGS][WEEKLY] Google Nexus 7 2013 (flo)@KateZ - Support and and dedication

Suggestions / Improvement

If you have any suggestions, can correct something, feel free to post in this thread.

Have loads of fun,

Cheers

Credits Management

Quick Reply Top Return to the list