Supreme Member

Credits
Device
Redmi Note 4 Qualcomm
Online time
666 Hours
Send PM

Mijia Qi CycleMi Power Bank 10000MAH Mi MIXMi Selfie StickMijia Walkie TalkieMijia Mi Bunny RobotMi  BunnyMi VRMi Yi CameraMi VR HeadsetMi Bluetooth SpeakerMi Band 2Magic CubeMijia VR Play 2Mi Water PurifierUnlock MedalMi HomeMi Plastic In-ear PhonesMi Power StripYi Action CameraMi BandMi BoxMi Air PurifierMi Power BankMi T-ShirtMi WiFi RouterMi Bluetooth HeadsetMi Kids WatchMijia Smart PTZ CameraMi WiFiMi Bluetooth Canon SpeakerMi TV 70Mijia Electric ScooterMi HeadphonesMijia Story TellerMi Notebook AirMijia 360° Panoramic CameraXiaomi 7th AnniversaryFlashholicMIUI Devices ContestAnTuTuAwesome!MIUI 8Fantastic!MIUI 2016I Love MIUIMarshmallowMIUI 7Redmi 4XMi 4iRedmi 4/Prime/4ARedmi Note 4Redmi Note 2Mi 54 Million Forum MembersMi TV3 Million Forum App InstallsMIUI Weekly PollMIUI Fan from TurkeyMIUI Monthly Talk2100K Forum MembersMerry ChristmasI Love 2016Thanksgiving Day1 Million Forum App InstallsRooster Year of 2017MIUI 2017MIUI Marathon MedalDiwali MIUI Fan from IndiaMIUI Fan from MalaysiaMIUI 300 WeeksMid-Autumn FestivalMIUI Forum AppMalaysia AnniversaryFan Of MIUI BangladeshHappy Singles' Day2 Million Forum MembersMIUI 6th AnniversaryFan Of MIUI IndiaOlympics Medal1700K Forum Members1500K Forum Members1900K Forum MembersFan Of MIUI SpainFan Of MIUI PolandXiaomi 6th AnniversaryMIUI Fan From SingaporeMIUI World TourMIUI Fan From Indonesia1800K Forum MembersFan Of MIUI RussiaMi Live MedalMIUI Drawing TalentHappy DiwaliFan Of MIUI ItalyHappy New YearMIUI Fan From Myanmar300K Forum MembersMIUI S3500K Forum MembersFan Of MIUI UkraineSuper SundaySuper SaturdayMIUI Happy MedalSuper ThursdayAtaturk Mourning5 Million Forum App InstallsHappy Holi MedalMIUI 20 Million UsersFan Of MIUI AustraliaMIUI PMIUI 7th Anniversary1st AnniversaryMIUI 5th AnniversaryMIUI Fan From PhilippinesMIUI 100 Million Users500K Forum MembersHilal Ramadan 90000 Forum Members100k Forum MembersMIUI Philippines Fan MeetupMIUI 9MIUI 50 Million UsersMIUI Font LoverSuper FridaySuper WednesdayFan Of MIUI FranceWomen's Day MedalSingapore Merlion MedalSurge S1Puzzle MasterSuper TuesdayRocket to Future3 Million Forum MembersMIUI Lucky FridayMIUI Fan From NepalHappy Valentine's DayFan Of MIUI BulgariaSuper Monday10 Million Forum PostsGamer Mi BunnySummer Mi BunnyAlpaca Mi Bunny I Love Mi BunnyMiPopMIUI Review9 Million Forum MembersMIUI G+ FollowerMi TalentMIUI FollowerOTA FeedbackMIUI Medals CollectorMIUI Halloween 2017Black SharkTechnology Guru5 Million Forum MembersMr. DependableMIUI 8th AnniversaryMi Story Teller10 Million Forum MembersStar WarsSurpriseMIUI Superstar7 Million Forum Members6 Million Forum MembersOreoMIUI Quick DiscussionXiaomi 8th Anniversary2017 Annual Awards8 Million Forum MembersMIUI Weekly Devices QuizQuick SurveyPioneer of MIUI English Forum Youth PledgeApp TalentApp StarInbox ZeroMIUI FB FollowerMaster Of TechnologyMIUI Twitter FollowerMIUI Ice Bucket ChallengeMIUI KingApp TalentNougatMIUI ExpertAndroid ElfHumor MasterUpdates LoverMost Popular Forum UserAndroid GuruIndia Independence DayMi Bunny Game Master 25 Million StrongStar Of TechnologyRingtone ExpertIndonesia Independence DayMi Lover MedalDebate MasterTheme TalentScroll Of WisdomForum Contest LoverMIUI Android 4.4 KitKatMost Active MIUIerRingtone Star Die-hard MIUI Fan

[Others] How Much Storage Do You Actually Need?

[ Promote]
4758 237 |
12:22, Mar-13-2018 | From PC
|
|
Go to reply no.
This post was edited by asc67 at 17:31, Mar-13-2018

Hello MIUIers,

Understanding storage can be hard.Every smartphone comes with a set amount of storage but the amount varies between devices. Some smartphones can have additional storage added via micro SDcards, whilst others can’t.

There’s no exact answers on how much storage different types of apps and media will take up on your smartphone,either. Trying to work out how much storage you actually need, and how much storage the phones you are looking at buying actually have can be confusing.

I wanted to create this blog tohelp clear up any confusion any of you may have. If you want to buy a new smartphone but don't know how much storage you need, read this blog and by the end of it you should have your answer.

The Typical Storage Options

Every smartphone has a set-in-stone internal storage space. On top of this, some, (but not all), smartphones have additional storage space which can be added through microSD cards.

Typically, these are the different options available for internal storage in your smartphone:

8GB, 16GB, 32GB, 64GB, 128GB, and 256GB

This amount of space doesn’t account for the amount of space the system files take up. This means you'll have roughly 5-10GB less space than these advertised numbers when your smartphone is powered on for the first time.

128GB and 256GB smartphones are more expensive and are aimed at heavy usage scenarios. If you have to snap a photo of everything you see, or download every last one of your favourite albums, a 128GB or 256GB option would be worth considering.

64GB is the middle ground - you will be able to do a lot with 64GB, but it may reach a point where your memory hits a limit, especially if you’re frantic with the camera shutter.

For more casual users, 16GB and32GB options are often good choices. If you plan to take a few photos here orthere, save a few albums for offline listening, and download a few apps, either of these options have you covered.

Because some space is taken up bysystem files, I’d highly recommend avoiding any 8GB smartphones unless the smartphone is only going to be used for basic texting, web browsing, or calling. Alternatively, if an 8GB smartphone has a microSD card slot, you’ll beable to bypass this problem by purchasing a microSD card for additional storage.

Looking At Your Usage

Not all smartphones have the same storage options. Before you look into what storage is available on different smartphones, you’ll need to look at your usage to work out how much storageyou’ll actually need.

Below I’ve categorised some of the biggest culprits for eating up storage space. Choose a data usage scenario from each category below, then add it up at the end to get a rough estimate on how much storage you actually need.

Please note that these numbers are estimations, the exact file size for photos, movies, music, and apps will always vary.

Taking Photos
The average size of a photo canvary drastically, depending on the quality of the smartphone camera, the settings used within the camera app, and also the level of detail of the image that’s being taken. On average, however, images on modern day flagships are often upto 5MB in size.

Usage Pattern 1: What’s A Camera?
1GB of storage for 200 images
For those that rarely ever open the camera app.
1GB of storage space will net you roughly 200 images.

Usage Pattern 2: I Want To CatchThe Important Moments
5GB of storage for 800-1,000 images
For those that want to catch the important moments in life.
5GB of storage space will netyou roughly 800-1,000 images.

Usage Pattern 3: I Must Capture Everything!
30GB of storage for up to 5,000 images
For camera fanatics. 30GB of storage space
will give you room for roughly 5,000 images.

Taking Videos
We can’t forget video recordings from the camera app! Video recordings can take a surprising amount of space on your smartphone. You can change the settings in your camera app to limit the quality of your videos to save space. However, for this example, we’ll beusing the highest quality (UHD) video recordings as a base line.

Usage Pattern 1: I Won’t Record Anything
5GB of storage for 10 minutes ofUHD video
Doubt you'll record videos? 5GB of storage space
will give you roughly 10 minutes of UHD video just in case.

Usage Pattern 2: Videos For Special Moments
30GB of storage for at least 60minutes of UHD video
If you’d like to have enough spaceto capture the special moments.
30GB of storage space will give you an hour or more of UHD video.

Usage Pattern 3: Lights, Camera,Action!
100GB of storage for at least 4hours of UHD video
If you can’t go without taking daily videos.
100GB of storage space will give you roughly 4 hours of UHD video.

Offline Music
These days, streaming services arethe most efficient and popular platforms for listening to music. Apps like Spotify, Apple Music, Google Music, and TIDAL account for combined hundreds of millions of users across the world.

Usage Pattern 1: Just A Few Songs For The Car
1GB of storage for 200 songs
For those unlikely to save anything other than their favourites.
1GB of storage space will net you roughly 200 songs.

Usage Pattern 2: I Know My Music Tastes
5GB of storage for 1,000 songs
For those who are big music fans.
5GB of storage space will give you roughly 1,000 songs.

Usage Pattern 3: I’m A Human Jukebox
30GB of storage for over 5,000songs
For those who listen to everything.
30GB of storage space willgive you room to download over 5,000 songs.

Apps
Apps vary in size, but they’re not much of a storage hog unless you’re playing big 3D games.

Usage Pattern 1: I Just Need The Basics … And Maybe Candy Crush
5GB of storage for apps and a few games
If you’re a casual smartphone gamer,
but would like to download apps and a game or two without restriction.
5GB of storage space will be enough for your usage needs.

Usage Pattern 2: I’m An App Store Window Shopper
10GB of storage for dozens of apps and games
If you want to be able to download dozens of apps and mobile games
on your device without hitting any limits,
10GB of storage space should give you the space you need.

Usage Pattern 3: I’m Addicted To Mobile Games
50GB of storage for 200+ apps and large games
If you want to be able to download hundreds of apps,
are a fan of 3D mobile games,or don't want to say goodbye
to your apps after installing them, 50GB of storage space should set you up for life.

Movies
Streaming services like Netflix are often the way to go for watching movies and TV on your smartphone, but if you want to be able to buy and download movies or other media for offline viewing,you may need to set some storage aside.

Usage Pattern 1: A Movie Or Two Will Do
5GB of storage for 2-3 movies
If you only want space for two or three movies,
5GB of storage will be enough.

Usage Pattern 2: I Purchase A Lot Of Movies For Offline Viewing
30GB of storage for up to 20 movies
If you’d like to have a selection of movies to choose between.
30GB of storage will give youup to 20 movies
from the Google Play Store or iTunes store.

Usage Pattern 3: I Don’t Have To Delete These Right?
100GB of storage for roughly 50-60movies
If you want to build an offline movie collection, 100GB of storage
will give you enough space for 50-60 movies, depending on their length.

Once you’ve read through this last section, you should now have picked out a usage pattern for the following categories:

Photos
Videos
Music
Apps
Movies

Because file sizes often vary, andto allow space for additional files and system software, I’d always suggest adding an extra 25% to your total usage.

As an example, if you were to pick usage pattern 2 from each of the six categories, you’d end up with 90GB. (112GB after the additional 25%.)

Any 128GB smartphone would be perfect for this scenario and you’d have room for the following:

800-1,000 photos
Over an hour of UHD video footage
1,000 songs
Dozens of apps and games
20 movies

Disclaimer:This is a reproduced article and the copyright rests with the original author.The views in this article are not from MIUI Beta/News Team, or MIUI GlobalForum. If there is any disagreement, please contact the Forum Management Teamto delete it.

Single-option Poll, 910 members voted
14.73% 134
7.47% 68
27.03% 246
37.36% 340
11.87% 108
1.54% 14
Your User group have no permission to vote
Favorite4 Share

Rated by 1 person   Experience Reason  

Findmenowzero + 4 Great!

Experience +4  View Rating Log

My QQi #3084589963

Diamond Member

Credits
Device
Online time
1 Hours
Send PM

Unlock MedalMi BoxMi TV 70MIUI 9Xiaomi 8th AnniversaryBlack SharkAndroid Guru

15:15, Mar-13-2018 | From Redmi 3S
|
64Gb I thik is sufficient

Supreme Member

Credits
Device
Redmi Note 4 Qualcomm
Online time
666 Hours
Send PM

Mijia Qi CycleMi Power Bank 10000MAH Mi MIXMi Selfie StickMijia Walkie TalkieMijia Mi Bunny RobotMi  BunnyMi VRMi Yi CameraMi VR HeadsetMi Bluetooth SpeakerMi Band 2Magic CubeMijia VR Play 2Mi Water PurifierUnlock MedalMi HomeMi Plastic In-ear PhonesMi Power StripYi Action CameraMi BandMi BoxMi Air PurifierMi Power BankMi T-ShirtMi WiFi RouterMi Bluetooth HeadsetMi Kids WatchMijia Smart PTZ CameraMi WiFiMi Bluetooth Canon SpeakerMi TV 70Mijia Electric ScooterMi HeadphonesMijia Story TellerMi Notebook AirMijia 360° Panoramic CameraXiaomi 7th AnniversaryFlashholicMIUI Devices ContestAnTuTuAwesome!MIUI 8Fantastic!MIUI 2016I Love MIUIMarshmallowMIUI 7Redmi 4XMi 4iRedmi 4/Prime/4ARedmi Note 4Redmi Note 2Mi 54 Million Forum MembersMi TV3 Million Forum App InstallsMIUI Weekly PollMIUI Fan from TurkeyMIUI Monthly Talk2100K Forum MembersMerry ChristmasI Love 2016Thanksgiving Day1 Million Forum App InstallsRooster Year of 2017MIUI 2017MIUI Marathon MedalDiwali MIUI Fan from IndiaMIUI Fan from MalaysiaMIUI 300 WeeksMid-Autumn FestivalMIUI Forum AppMalaysia AnniversaryFan Of MIUI BangladeshHappy Singles' Day2 Million Forum MembersMIUI 6th AnniversaryFan Of MIUI IndiaOlympics Medal1700K Forum Members1500K Forum Members1900K Forum MembersFan Of MIUI SpainFan Of MIUI PolandXiaomi 6th AnniversaryMIUI Fan From SingaporeMIUI World TourMIUI Fan From Indonesia1800K Forum MembersFan Of MIUI RussiaMi Live MedalMIUI Drawing TalentHappy DiwaliFan Of MIUI ItalyHappy New YearMIUI Fan From Myanmar300K Forum MembersMIUI S3500K Forum MembersFan Of MIUI UkraineSuper SundaySuper SaturdayMIUI Happy MedalSuper ThursdayAtaturk Mourning5 Million Forum App InstallsHappy Holi MedalMIUI 20 Million UsersFan Of MIUI AustraliaMIUI PMIUI 7th Anniversary1st AnniversaryMIUI 5th AnniversaryMIUI Fan From PhilippinesMIUI 100 Million Users500K Forum MembersHilal Ramadan 90000 Forum Members100k Forum MembersMIUI Philippines Fan MeetupMIUI 9MIUI 50 Million UsersMIUI Font LoverSuper FridaySuper WednesdayFan Of MIUI FranceWomen's Day MedalSingapore Merlion MedalSurge S1Puzzle MasterSuper TuesdayRocket to Future3 Million Forum MembersMIUI Lucky FridayMIUI Fan From NepalHappy Valentine's DayFan Of MIUI BulgariaSuper Monday10 Million Forum PostsGamer Mi BunnySummer Mi BunnyAlpaca Mi Bunny I Love Mi BunnyMiPopMIUI Review9 Million Forum MembersMIUI G+ FollowerMi TalentMIUI FollowerOTA FeedbackMIUI Medals CollectorMIUI Halloween 2017Black SharkTechnology Guru5 Million Forum MembersMr. DependableMIUI 8th AnniversaryMi Story Teller10 Million Forum MembersStar WarsSurpriseMIUI Superstar7 Million Forum Members6 Million Forum MembersOreoMIUI Quick DiscussionXiaomi 8th Anniversary2017 Annual Awards8 Million Forum MembersMIUI Weekly Devices QuizQuick SurveyPioneer of MIUI English Forum Youth PledgeApp TalentApp StarInbox ZeroMIUI FB FollowerMaster Of TechnologyMIUI Twitter FollowerMIUI Ice Bucket ChallengeMIUI KingApp TalentNougatMIUI ExpertAndroid ElfHumor MasterUpdates LoverMost Popular Forum UserAndroid GuruIndia Independence DayMi Bunny Game Master 25 Million StrongStar Of TechnologyRingtone ExpertIndonesia Independence DayMi Lover MedalDebate MasterTheme TalentScroll Of WisdomForum Contest LoverMIUI Android 4.4 KitKatMost Active MIUIerRingtone Star Die-hard MIUI Fan

Author| 15:18, Mar-13-2018 | From Redmi 4X
|
Arjun-J#306 replied at 2018-3-13 15:15
64Gb I thik is sufficient

Thanks.   
My QQi #3084589963

MIUI Beta Team - China

Credits
Device
Mi MIX
Online time
126 Hours
Send PM

Mijia Smart ShoesMi Notebook AirNinebot MiniUnlock MedalMi MIXFantastic!MIUI Devices ContestI Love MIUIMi MIXHappy Singles' Day5 Million Forum App Installs10 Million Forum PostsXiaomi 6th AnniversaryMIUI SMIUI Fan From IndonesiaHappy Valentine's DayMIUI Happy MedalMIUI Weekly PollMIUI 9MIUI PRocket to FutureGamer Mi BunnyMIUI Superstar5 Million Forum MembersMIUI FB FollowerXiaomi 8th AnniversaryPioneer of MIUI English Forum MIUI 8th Anniversary6 Million Forum Members25 Million StrongSurprise9 Million Forum MembersBlack SharkStar WarsAndroid ElfMIUI Weekly Devices QuizNougatMIUI Quick DiscussionMi Lover MedalOTA Feedback2017 Annual AwardsTheme TalentStar Of TechnologyQuick SurveyMi TalentMIUI FollowerOreo8 Million Forum MembersAndroid GuruDebate Master

15:53, Mar-13-2018 | From Mi MIX
|
Mi Mix 256 gb

Gold Member

Credits
Device
Online time
11 Hours
Send PM

Unlock MedalMIUI Quick DiscussionMIUI Weekly Devices Quiz9 Million Forum MembersXiaomi 8th Anniversary

17:11, Mar-13-2018 | From Redmi Note 4X
|
128 GB enough for download maniac

Supreme Member

Credits
Device
Redmi Note 4 Qualcomm
Online time
666 Hours
Send PM

Author| 17:31, Mar-13-2018 | From PC
|
RamdhanB replied at 2018-3-13 17:11
128 GB enough for download maniac

ok, Thanks!
My QQi #3084589963

Gold Member

Credits
Device
Online time
0 Hours
Send PM

Unlock MedalRedmi 4/Prime/4AMIUI Happy MedalMIUI 9MIUI Lucky FridaySuper MondayAndroid Elf

17:35, Mar-13-2018 | From Redmi 4A
|
64gb I think enough, depending on the needs of the application

Supreme Member

Credits
Device
Redmi Note 4 Qualcomm
Online time
666 Hours
Send PM

Author| 17:51, Mar-13-2018 | From PC
|
dygryd replied at 2018-3-13 17:35
64gb I think enough, depending on the needs of the application

Thanks!
My QQi #3084589963

MIUI Beta Team - China

Credits
Device
Redmi Note 4X
Online time
57 Hours
Send PM

Mi WiFi RouterMijia Walkie TalkieMi  BunnyMi BoxMi BandMi HomeMi T-ShirtMi ScaleMijia Smart PTZ CameraNinebot MiniMi TV 70Mi Kids WatchYi Action CameraMi Bluetooth HeadsetMi Notebook AirMijia 360° Panoramic CameraMagic CubeMijia Smart ShoesUnlock MedalMi Power BankXiaomi 7th AnniversaryMarshmallowMIUI Devices ContestI Love MIUIAnTuTuFlashholicFantastic!Awesome!Redmi Note 4XHappy Valentine's DayWomen's Day MedalMIUI SMIUI Lucky FridaySurge S1Puzzle MasterMIUI 9Xiaomi 6th AnniversaryMIUI 20 Million UsersMIUI P10 Million Forum PostsMIUI Marathon Medal1st Anniversary5 Million Forum App InstallsSuper SundaySuper MondayHappy DiwaliDiwali MIUI Happy MedalMIUI 50 Million UsersMIUI Forum AppSuper SaturdayMerry Christmas2 Million Forum MembersFan Of MIUI IndiaHappy New YearMIUI 7th AnniversaryRocket to FutureMIUI Fan From IndonesiaGamer Mi BunnyMiPopMIUI FB FollowerSurpriseMaster Of TechnologyIndia Independence Day10 Million Forum Members5 Million Forum MembersMIUI King25 Million StrongMIUI 8th AnniversaryMIUI SuperstarBlack Shark9 Million Forum MembersApp StarRedmi Quiz MasterMIUI FollowerMIUI Twitter FollowerMost Active MIUIerTheme TalentMIUI Halloween 2017Mr. Dependable2017 Annual AwardsStar Of TechnologyStar Wars7 Million Forum MembersDie-hard MIUI Fan6 Million Forum MembersAndroid GuruTechnology GuruMi Lover MedalForum Contest LoverMi Story Teller8 Million Forum MembersOreoMi TalentQuick SurveyNougatMIUI Weekly Devices QuizPioneer of MIUI English Forum MIUI Medals CollectorMIUI Quick DiscussionOTA FeedbackAndroid ElfXiaomi 8th Anniversary

18:29, Mar-13-2018 | From Redmi Note 4X
|
32 GB
Love to miui

Supreme Member

Credits
Device
Redmi Note 4 Qualcomm
Online time
666 Hours
Send PM

Author| 18:34, Mar-13-2018 | From PC
|
My QQi #3084589963

Credits Management

Quick Reply Top Return to the list