I am unique just like everybod

Credits
Device
Mi Note
MIUI Version
Online time
633 Hours
Send PM

Mi Power BankMi T-ShirtMi In-Ear HeadphonesMi BandFantastic!MIUI 7I Love MIUIMIUI 2015MIUI 2016Awesome!MIUI 8MIUI 6Mi 3Mi PadMIUI Fan From PhilippinesMIUI 4th AnniversaryI Love 20162014 ChristmasMIUI 100 Million Users1st AnniversaryMIUI V5 ReviewMIUI 50 Million Users300K Forum MembersFan MIUI PhilippinesSingapore Birthday1300K Forum Members1 Million Forum Members5 Million Forum PostsXiaomi 5th AnniversaryThanksgiving DayMIUI 6th Anniversary900K Forum Members1400K Forum Members700K Forum Members800K Forum Members1500K Forum MembersGamer Mi BunnyI Love Mi BunnyMIUI Photography GuruMIUI Photography Classroom TeacherAndroid GuruMIUI Medals CollectorMi Lover MedalMIUI Android 4.4 KitKatMIUI Photography Team MemberUpdates LoverMIUI Global Forum 2014Super MIUI ThemeForum Contest LoverDebate MasterStar Of IconsPioneer of MIUI English Forum OTA FeedbackDie-hard MIUI FanMIUI Follower

[Reviews] Xiaomi Redmi 2: A Mobile Photographer's Perspective

[ Promote]
12902 94 |
12:21, May-15-2015
| |
|
Go to reply no.
This post was edited by jenz1 at 22:40, Feb-08-2016

SINCE the release of the RedMi 2 in the Philippines (and around the world in general) a lot has been said about its hardware and performance. You can read tons of article in the internet about its benchmark scores and how it fares with other phone in its class so I’m not going to do another one of those. Instead I will focus on the RedMi 2’s camera and its worthiness to a casual user and even serious mobile photographers.

I’d like to mention though that I won’t be discussing the front camera and selfies (Sorry guys, but I really don’t take selfies unless: 1. It’s for competition / challenges and 2. …. Nope, no other ideas come to mind.)

The purpose of this review is to show how the RedMi 2’s camera perform in real-life situations. I’ll try to stay away from the technical and geeky terms as much as I can. (So you don’t get bored with the numbers and technical details. Teehee.)

So does the RedMi 2’s have what it takes to be a mobile photographer’s companion? Does it shoot as good in real-life as it does on paper? Let’s find out.

Camera Hardware
redmi2_21.jpg

The Redmi 2 sports an 8 megapixel main shooter with f2.2 aperture (for the un-initiated, a lower aperture means better taking of low-light photos) It’s made up of a 5-piece lens which includes an infrared filter delivering near accurate true-to-life colors, backside-illumination (BSI) for better low-light performance and supports HDR.

Another good thing to mention is that the Redmi 2 comes with a 4.7 inch IPS display and 720x1280 (HD) resolution thus bringing in 312 ppi of view finder goodness. It’s also compact enough to easily carry in your pocket.
(Man it’s hard to stay away from technicalities. This will be the last time I talk about specs and numbers I Promise!)

Camera Interface

MIUI is one of the most loved Android custom ROMs around and for good reasons. Its latest iteration MIUI 6, brings in some nice filters and options to the camera albeit a bit Spartan.

camera ui.jpg

You can manually change White Balance and ISO but that's it. It doesn’t bring with it other manual features found on their higher-end phones such as Exposure Time and Manual Focus which is my only qualm with the camera app. Fortunately, these short comings are easily remedied by installing a third-party camera app like Camera-FV5.

As much as possible though, I try to use what’s available on the stock camera app when I take photos. I consider it a handicap and a challenge.

Now on to the Actual Shooting!

A Great Camera Outdoor

IMG_20150503_071856.jpg

I took the Redmi 2 on a swimming trip to test how it handle taking pictures outdoors and with bright sunlight available. It comes as no surprise that it handles this type of environment pretty well. Here are a few snaps from my trip:

IMG_20150501_102155.jpg

IMG_20150501_100422_1.jpg

IMG_20150501_092505.jpg

IMG_20150501_095017.jpg

As you can see, colors are good and natural. No visible noise and the details are just TOO good!

Auto Focus and Close-Up Shots

IMG_20150501_081621.jpg

IMG_20150501_083303.jpg

IMG_20150503_063118_HDR.jpg

IMG_20150501_085439.jpg

Let's get one thing out of the way, RM2s camera doesn’t come with a Macro mode per se. It also doesn’t have manual focus setting so you would mostly rely on tapping on a particular area of the screen to focus. But don’t let it bother you though as the focus time is very quick. It also produces very pleasant bokeh. Even better than the Mi 3’s I dare say.

Shutter Speed is Speedy

IMG_20150501_102541.jpg

IMG_20150501_101059_1.jpg

Now this is one aspect of the camera I was really surprised to see in action. The Redmi 2’s camera is just lightning fast. It was able to freeze some very nice water action and jump shots.

Need more example? How about an insect flying?
IMG_20150503_064311_1.jpg

Or lightning perhaps?
20150503180818_LC04.jpg

Average Camera Indoors
Although having an f2.2 aperture and infrared filter, the Redmi 2 still struggles in low-light condition (as any other phone in this price range actually.) But doesn’t suffer with noise as much as its predecessor, the Redmi 1s. In my testing, it has managed to produce a pretty decent indoor, low-light shot of mi bunny below:

without flash.jpg
without flash (all settings @ auto)

with flash.jpg
with flash (all settings @ auto)

The Redmi 2 comes with a single LED flash and provides adequate lighting when needed. You should not however considered it as a go-to-feature when taking pictures. Mobile phone built-in flash will almost always create more problem than it resolves (e.g. red / glowing eyes, high-contrast between light and shadow and uneven tones) This goes for all camera flash, not just phones.
(Friendly advice, stay away from using flash if you can help it.)

But Wait! There’s More

The details that the Redmi 2’s camera is able to resolve just blows me away, case in point. Zoom in on the orange vest and you can still read the fine prints.

IMG_20150501_082652.jpg

Saving of photos is so quick that it’s almost like it saves the photo even before you hit the shutter button! (Okay, I'm exagerating. But you get the picture. Pun intended by the way) There’s just no delay between tapping the shutter button and saving.

Adding some accessories further enhances the camera’s capability. I just had to try out the macro lens and the result... well it came out pretty well IMO

IMG_20150504_064509.jpg

IMG_20150503_064644.jpg

The Redmi 2 doesn’t bring much to the table where the camera is concerned. Yes, it doesn’t boast of a high Mega Pixel count nor does it have fancy features like Re-focus and Gradienter. But with what it has, it does well with. So if you’re a casual mobile photographer who wants a straight forward, no frills camera phone that’s light on the pocket and able to take great shots in a pinch, then Redmi 2 should definitely be in your view finder! So go ahead and give it a shot! (No pun intended).

Favorite8 Share

Rated by 39 people   Experience Prestige Reason  

mohdmujahid526 + 10 + 3 Fantastic!
salimwodahs + 1 Fantastic!
Uchiha\'youwi + 1 Fantastic! it's very good camara for me,
mitch002 + 5 Fantastic!
Masfe + 5 Long Life Redmi 2
Zech312 + 1 Agreed!
Vino09 + 1 Great!
chgbhat + 5 Agreed!
helgo9 + 4 Agreed!
JOBATS + 1 Great!
kicauanpagi + 1 Agreed!
Karlo06 + 2 Awesome as always sir Jenie!
qams + 1 #iDisagree, Redmi 1s performs far better
srv6100 + 5 Awesome!
PolternderGeist + 1 Awesome!
greenhelldog + 1 Great!
thinhta85 + 1 Awesome!
rgr117 + 1 Fantastic!
y.lallu + 5 Nice Shots...!!
Friends786 + 2 Excellent
sHiErShAo + 10 + 5 Great!
mrgs147 + 1 Awesome!
@nkitS + 1 Fantastic! Nicely made !!
pslingam + 1 Fantastic!
Schwaa + 5 Fantastic!
Ankit786 + 5 Fantastic!
fksgs2 + 3 Awesome!

Experience +158  Prestige +25  View Rating Log

http://jenietomboc.wix.com/portfolio

Credits
Device
MIUI Version
Online time
0 Hours
Send PM
07:41, Mar-12-2017
|
galing naman

Diamond Member

Credits
Device
Redmi 3S Prime
MIUI Version
V8.1.1.0.MALMIDI
Online time
30 Hours
Send PM

Mi Selfie StickMi Band 2Mijia Electric ScooterMi HomeXiaomi 7th AnniversaryMIUI Devices ContestFantastic!MIUI 8Redmi 3SSuper MondaySuper FridayMIUI Lucky FridayWomen's Day MedalMIUI Happy MedalSuper ThursdaySurge S13 Million Forum MembersSuper WednesdayPuzzle MasterRocket to Future10 Million Forum PostsMIUI 2017MIUI Forum AppRooster Year of 20175 Million Forum App InstallsSuper SaturdaySuper SundayMIUI Weekly PollHappy Holi MedalMIUI World TourScroll Of WisdomAndroid ElfMi TalentDie-hard MIUI FanRingtone Star MIUI ExpertMi Lover MedalForum Contest LoverDebate MasterAndroid GuruMaster Of Technology

03:55, Mar-12-2017
|
Great photos! How to be you po?!

Diamond Member

Credits
Device
Others
MIUI Version
Online time
8 Hours
Send PM

Mi Band 2MarshmallowAwesome!Mid-Autumn FestivalMIUI 300 WeeksFan Of MIUI RussiaDebate Master

19:20, Sep-16-2016
|
Coolfotos

Platinum Member

Credits
Device
Redmi Note 3
MIUI Version
V8.2.2.0.MHOMIDL
Online time
98 Hours
Send PM

Mi Bluetooth SpeakerMi BandMi HeadphonesMi Selfie StickMi Bluetooth Canon SpeakerMi Power StripMi Band 2Mijia Story TellerMi TV 70Mi  BunnyMi Yi CameraMi Power Bank 10000MAH Unlock MedalMi HomeMi WiFi RouterMagic CubeXiaomi 7th AnniversaryMIUI 7I Love MIUIFlashholicAwesome!Fantastic!MIUI 2016MarshmallowMIUI 8Redmi 1SRedmi Note 2Mi 4cRedmiRedmi Note 31700K Forum MembersOlympics Medal1500K Forum Members1400K Forum MembersMIUI Fan From NepalMIUI 300 WeeksUEFA EURO Medal900K Forum MembersMerry ChristmasMIUI Fan from IndiaMIUI Fan From SingaporeHappy Valentine's Day800K Forum MembersMIUI Fan From Philippines1 Million Forum MembersPokemon Master MedalHilal Ramadan MIUI Fan From Vietnam1800K Forum MembersXiaomi 6th AnniversaryMIUI 6th AnniversaryFan Of MIUI IndiaSuper WednesdayWomen's Day MedalHappy New Year10 Million Forum Posts1 Million Forum App InstallsFan Of MIUI Russia3 Million Forum MembersMIUI Fan from Turkey3 Million Forum App InstallsRocket to FutureSuper TuesdayFan Of MIUI ItalyMIUI 2017MIUI Lucky FridayRooster Year of 2017I Love 2016Thanksgiving DayFan Of MIUI PolandSuper MondayHappy Diwali2100K Forum MembersMIUI World TourMIUI Forum AppMIUI Fan From IndonesiaMIUI Weekly PollMIUI Happy MedalSuper ThursdayDiwali Happy Holi MedalFan Of MIUI BangladeshSuper FridayAlpaca Mi Bunny Gamer Mi BunnyMiPopI Love Mi BunnyMi Bunny Game Master Forum Contest LoverMIUI ExpertAndroid GuruDebate MasterRingtone Star Youth PledgeDie-hard MIUI FanApp StarMIUI FollowerMaster Of TechnologyStar Of TechnologyMi TalentMIUI FB FollowerMIUI Android 4.4 KitKatAndroid ElfScroll Of WisdomMi Lover MedalInbox ZeroTechnology GuruHumor MasterMIUI Medals Collector

16:54, Sep-16-2016
|
AWESOME!

Nice clicks.

Diamond Member

Credits
Device
Redmi Note 3
MIUI Version
V8.1.6.0.MHOMIDI
Online time
27 Hours
Send PM

Mijia Story TellerUnlock MedalMi Band 2Mi HomeMi BandAwesome!MIUI 2016MIUI 8I Love MIUIFantastic!MarshmallowRedmi Note 3Redmi 3SFan Of MIUI IndiaMIUI Marathon MedalMIUI Forum AppThanksgiving DayFan Of MIUI Bulgaria1700K Forum MembersHappy New YearMerry ChristmasMid-Autumn FestivalMIUI 300 WeeksFan Of MIUI SpainXiaomi 6th AnniversaryMIUI 6th AnniversaryMIUI Weekly PollMIUI Fan From IndonesiaHappy DiwaliDiwali MIUI Fan From NepalI Love Mi BunnyGamer Mi BunnyRingtone Star Forum Contest LoverInbox ZeroAndroid GuruTechnology GuruDebate MasterStar Of TechnologyMi Lover Medal

16:39, Sep-16-2016
|
good information....

Platinum Member

Credits
Device
Redmi 2
MIUI Version
Online time
90 Hours
Send PM

Mi BandMi WiFi RouterMi VR HeadsetMi Yi CameraYeelight Bedside LampMi Power StripMi Power Bank 10000MAH Mi HomeMi HeadphonesMi Band 2Xiaomi 7th AnniversaryMIUI 8MarshmallowFantastic!MIUI 7MIUI 2016MIUI 2015I Love MIUIAwesome!Redmi 2Redmi 3Redmi Note 3MIUI 6th Anniversary5 Million Forum PostsXiaomi 6th Anniversary1 Million Forum MembersMIUI Fan From PhilippinesDiwali Thanksgiving Day1300K Forum MembersOlympics MedalMIUI Fan from IndiaMIUI HalloweenMIUI 300 Weeks800K Forum MembersSuper TuesdayHappy Valentine's DayRooster Year of 2017Women's Day MedalSuper WednesdaySuper Sunday5 Million Forum App InstallsSuper FridayMIUI Happy MedalMIUI Lucky FridayMIUI 20171400K Forum MembersFan Of MIUI India1700K Forum MembersMIUI Forum AppMid-Autumn FestivalHappy New Year1800K Forum MembersHappy DiwaliMerry ChristmasGamer Mi BunnyI Love Mi BunnySummer Mi BunnyMIUI Beta TeamDie-hard MIUI FanAndroid GuruMi TalentMi Story TellerMIUI Medals CollectorMIUI ExpertUpdates LoverMIUI Android 4.4 KitKatMi Lover MedalForum Contest LoverAndroid ElfDebate Master

13:18, Aug-30-2016 Via mobile
|
I am using redmi 2 from one year and really I enjoy the photos taken by it

Credits
Device
MIUI Version
Online time
1 Hours
Send PM
16:37, Jul-16-2016
|
Bonnita replied at 2016-7-15 09:12
I love the camera on xiaomi units, however, they have no after sales service now. Service centers ar ...

Hi jenz, thanks for the offer, but my unit is still under warranty. I hope they reply soon before the year is over. I miss taking awesome pics with it, and my photos saved ack!

Credits
Device
MIUI Version
Online time
1 Hours
Send PM
09:12, Jul-15-2016
|
I love the camera on xiaomi units, however, they have no after sales service now. Service centers are non existent now that aikon tech and wsi are no longer accepting repairs of xiaomi units.

Comment

jenz1 yeah thats a bummer, but hey, if you have a problem with your unit. just contact me. Id be happy to help.  12:22, Jul-15-2016

Platinum Member

Credits
Device
Redmi Note 2 Prime
MIUI Version
V8.2.1.0.KHKMIDL
Online time
137 Hours
Send PM

Fantastic!I Love MIUIAwesome!MIUI 2016Redmi 1SMi 4cRedmi NoteRedmi 31 Million Forum MembersMIUI Fan from IndiaXiaomi 5th AnniversaryDiwali Happy DiwaliXiaomi 6th AnniversaryFan Of MIUI IndiaGamer Mi BunnyI Love Mi BunnyAndroid ElfAndroid GuruRingtone Star Mi Bunny Game Master

18:38, Feb-21-2016
|
Very nice, that's why we believe on Mi.

Credits Management

Quick Reply Top Return to the list