Platinum Member

Credits
Device
Others
Online time
150 Hours
Send PM

I Love MIUIMIUI Wallpaper Contest

[Interview] Exclusive interview with the head of dev for MIUI's built-in file Explorer!

[ Promote]
5127 33 |
11:54, Nov-08-2013 | From PC
|
|
Go to reply no.
postlogo.jpg
This week we're headed over to MIUI's dev team (on the other side of the floor) to interview Qi Dongjie, the lead developer for MIUI's built-in file Explorer. Dongjie wakes up busy, so I didn't have time to get to everyone's questions, but I did my best to get to most of them. Thank you again to those who submitted questions and if I didn't get to your question this week try again next week (I always try use questions from as many people as possible!).

photo (1).jpg

jack_white: Hi Dongjie! Thank you for taking the time to talk with me and answer some questions from our forum members.

Dongjie: No problem, let's get started.

jw: What do you do at Xiaomi?

dj: I handle development for the Clock app, the file Explorer app, and the Mail app.

jw: Can you talk a bit about how you came to Xiaomi, I heard you were the 36th employee here...

dj: In college, I was an intern at Microsoft's Asia Research Center. In the spring of 2010, I signed an offer with Tencent, so I went there to intern a couple of months before I graduated. I was getting ready to start my career at Tencent... I was pretty set on working there...

tencentlogo.jpg

jw: Then how did you wind up at Xiaomi?

dj: When I was back on campus picking up my diploma, one of my older classmates contacted me and told me that I should go take a look at this small startup called "Xiaomi". So I looked at Xiaomi's website: it didn't have any products then, just a simple description of the company and the office culture. It seemed like a pretty close group of people. There were so many startups in Beijing, Xiaomi didn't seem all that different. I wasn't really that interested, but my classmate told me that Xiaomi had a lot of partners with a lot of experience at some big companies who wanted to work together to make something awesome -- a smartphone. He encouraged me to send my resume over and the next morning they invited me to come interview.

jw: Do you remember who interviewed you?

dj: Yea, it was KK (Huang Jiangji) and Li Weixing  (both were formerly at Microsoft).

kk_xiaomi.jpg

jw: Wow.

dj: When I went over to visit the office, I was surprised how awesome the team was, everyone was really passionate. They would work deep into the night and the vibe in the office was intense. Fortunately they gave me an offer and I signed it before the ink was dry. The next day I went to my team leader at Tencent and told him I was going to work at Xiaomi.

jw: What was it like when you first started back in 2010?

dj: There was a lot of work and not a lot of people. The secretary would come around and take our orders at lunch and dinner so that we could eat every meal at our desks... It was boxlunch and boxdinner all the time. We chatted and reviewed code while we ate. Things are much happier now.  

boxlunch.jpg

jw: That's crazy...

jw: OK, let me ask you some questions from some of our forum members. Here's a popular one (@@@): Will MIUI's file Explorer ever be able to support a variety of online drives (i.e. not just Kuaipan)?

dj: There aren't any plans for that right now. Kuaipan is a cloud storage service developed by our partner-company Kingsoft. The cost of developing would be high, because we'd have to use the respective SDK to develop for each online drive that we wanted to add. Moreover, all of these online drives have come out with individual apps, if I made file Explorer compatible with all of them it would get pretty bloated for a system app.

kuaipan.jpg

jw: Here's some more questions about file Explorer's functionality: Are you planning to add zip/upzip features, a text editor, or a shortcut to get ROOT permission?

dj: I'll start from the top. First, file Explorer already has a zip/upzip feature. Second, we didn't really think that a text editor was needed here, that kind of functionality can be found in other apps like Kingsoft's WPS office, quickoffice, etc. But our thinking was along the same lines in that we wanted to make it so that you could touch any file in Explorer and MIUI would be able to find the appropriate app to handle it. Third, we thought that providing a ROOT permission function would be too much of a risk for new users. If they made some basic mistakes they could lose all of their data. More advanced users know that ROOTing a device isn't that hard and can use third-party software to do it.  

comprss1..png comprss2..png

jw: Last question about file Explorer: Would you integrate an FTP client since you already intergrated FTP server?

dj: That's a problem. Right now we're working on an SMB client. As for an FTP client, there's nothing in the works at the moment.

jw: Let's talk about the Mail a little bit. Are there any plans to add "a last updated" timestamp or integrate a swipe to delete gesture like we see in G-Mail?

dj: There are. We don't really change Mail all that much from the original Android version. So, Android 4.4's mail app has both of these functions, when the time comes, we'll bring them over to MIUI's built-in Mail app.

tech-google-nestle-kitkat.jpg

jw: OK, thank you for taking the time do this!!

Revisit your favorite interviews here!!
Episode 1: Merideth Han (MIUI English forum)
Episode 2: Vasilije Vasiljević aka balcan.gsm (MIUI Mod Developer and Forum Admin)
Episode 3: Alex Xiao (MIUI Themes)

More interviews!
MIUI-UK founder of MIUIAndroid.com
Interview with Alex García Admin & Founder of MIUI.es

Don't forget to submit any questions you have for the head of MIUI beta testing!

Favorite1 Share

Rated by 7 people   Experience Reason  

arthgalicio + 1 very impressive!
kgbiyugik + 5 Awesome!
muharrem + 1 Thanks!
mathieuj + 5 Great!
sukest + 2 Great!
MishFdM + 6 Great!
Roussinov + 5 Great!

Experience +25  View Rating Log

Elite Member

Credits
Device
Mi3
Online time
931 Hours
Send PM

Mi In-Ear HeadphonesI Love MIUIMi 3MIUI 3rd AnniversaryHappy Singles' Day100k Forum MembersDiwali MIUI 20 Million UsersAtaturk MourningMIUI 4th Anniversary90000 Forum MembersI Love Mi BunnyMost Active MIUIerMIUI Wallpaper ContestMost Popular Forum UserOTA FeedbackPioneer of MIUI English Forum Star Of Themes

12:02, Nov-08-2013 | From PC
|
Another great interview! Thank you!

Elite Member

Credits
Device
Mi 5
Online time
719 Hours
Send PM

Mi HomeFantastic!Awesome!MIUI 6I Love MIUIMIUI Devices ContestMi 3MIUI English Forum 2013MIUI 30 Million UsersMIUI 5th Anniversary90000 Forum Members3 Million Forum MembersMIUI 3rd Anniversary10 Million Forum PostsMIUI 2017MIUI 20 Million Users100k Forum MembersI Love Mi BunnyMIUI Beta TeamOTA FeedbackTechnology GuruMi Lover MedalAndroid GuruDie-hard MIUI FanPioneer of MIUI English Forum MIUI Follower

12:06, Nov-08-2013 | From PC
|
Thanks. Infact try to keep it simple :)

Elite Member

Credits
Device
Mi Max 32GB
Online time
878 Hours
Send PM

Mi Portable WiFiYeelight Bedside LampMi In-Ear HeadphonesMi HomeMi BoxMi Power BankMi KeyUnlock MedalMi BandMi WiFi RouterAwesome!MIUI 2016Fantastic!FlashholicMIUI 2015MIUI 6I Love MIUIMIUI 7MIUI 8Mi Note ProXiaomi Mi 4Mi 4iMi NoteMi Max Mi TVRedmi 1SRedmiRedmi NoteRedmi 2Redmi Note 2Mi 4cMi 3Hilal Ramadan MIUI 20 Million UsersMIUI Fan From PhilippinesMIUI 50 Million UsersSingapore BirthdayHappy Singles' DayMIUI 9100k Forum MembersMIUI 4th AnniversaryMIUI 3rd AnniversaryDiwali 300K Forum Members1st AnniversaryMIUI Fan from India90000 Forum MembersMIUI English Forum 2013MIUI 30 Million UsersHappy DiwaliMIUI Fan From SingaporeMIUI Fan from MalaysiaMIUI V5 ReviewMIUI Fan From IndonesiaThanksgiving Day1400K Forum Members1500K Forum MembersFan Of MIUI IndiaMIUI Marathon Medal600K Forum MembersPokemon Master MedalMIUI 5th Anniversary1 Million Forum MembersMerry Christmas800K Forum MembersUEFA EURO MedalMIUI Fan From Brazil700K Forum MembersSurge S1Xiaomi 5th AnniversaryMIUI Font Lover2014 ChristmasMIUI Fan from TurkeyMIUI Lucky FridayHappy Valentine's DayMIUI 100 Million UsersMIUI World TourI Love Mi BunnyAlpaca Mi Bunny Gamer Mi BunnySummer Mi BunnyMiPopMIUI News Team8 Million Forum MembersRingtone Star MIUI KingMi Lover MedalMIUI Android 4.4 KitKatMIUI Wallpaper ContestTechnology GuruAndroid GuruMIUI Medals CollectorMIUI FollowerUpdates LoverStar Of IconsScroll Of WisdomDebate MasterMIUI FB FollowerMIUI Global Forum 2014Android ElfYouth PledgeDie-hard MIUI FanMost Active MIUIerForum Contest LoverMi TalentMi Bunny Game Master App StarPioneer of MIUI English Forum Humor MasterStar MIUI News Team MemberOTA Feedback

13:12, Nov-08-2013 | From PC
|
what a delicious luncbox...ooopss, i mean what a great interview!
To know MI is to love MI (◡ ‿ ◡ ✿)

(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥

Diamond Member

Credits
Device
Redmi 3
Online time
37 Hours
Send PM

MIUI 2016Redmi 3100k Forum MembersI Love Mi BunnyAlpaca Mi Bunny OTA FeedbackPioneer of MIUI English Forum

14:34, Nov-08-2013 | From PC
|
I really like this interviews, great interview :)
Xiaomi RedMi 3

Diamond Member

Credits
Device
Others
Online time
218 Hours
Send PM

Awesome!I Love MIUIMi 2MIUI English Forum 2013MIUI 30 Million UsersMIUI 50 Million Users100k Forum MembersFan Of MIUI Russia90000 Forum MembersMIUI 4th AnniversaryI Love Mi BunnyOTA FeedbackAndroid GuruPioneer of MIUI English Forum MIUI Follower

15:21, Nov-08-2013 | From PC
|
Thank you

Diamond Member

Credits
Device
Samsung I9100
Online time
92 Hours
Send PM

90000 Forum MembersOTA Feedback

16:43, Nov-08-2013 | From PC
|
Thank you. And good interview.

Administrator

Flashing

Credits
Device
Mi 5X
Online time
6189 Hours
Send PM

Mi MIXMi HomeAwesome!I Love MIUIMIUI 2016Fantastic!MIUI Devices ContestMi TVMIUI 50 Million UsersThanksgiving DayDiwali MIUI 20 Million UsersMIUI V5 ReviewMIUI 3rd Anniversary2014 ChristmasMIUI Fan From SingaporeFan Of MIUI RussiaMIUI 4th Anniversary1800K Forum MembersSuper SundayMIUI Fan From Nepal90000 Forum MembersMIUI Fan from TurkeyMIUI Forum AppI Love Mi Bunny2017 Annual AwardsMIUI Android 4.4 KitKatOTA FeedbackPioneer of MIUI English Forum Die-hard MIUI Fan

17:00, Nov-08-2013 | From PC
|
Who else you want us to interview? Leave us a comment

Comment

nob1.ch3n how bout the higher ups??? hugo barra, lei jun and the other bossess......  18:01, Nov-09-2013

Elite Member

Credits
Device
Mi 4c
Online time
463 Hours
Send PM

Mi BoxMi In-Ear HeadphonesMi KeyMi BandMIUI 2015MIUI 6FlashholicI Love MIUIFantastic!Awesome!Redmi NoteRedmiMi 2Mi 3Mi TVMi 11st AnniversaryFan Of MIUI UKMIUI Fan From IndonesiaMIUI 50 Million UsersFan Of MIUI Ex-Yu MIUI Fan From SingaporeMIUI Fan From PhilippinesMIUI Fan from IndiaMIUI Fan from MalaysiaHilal Ramadan MIUI English Forum 2013MIUI 4th AnniversaryDiwali 90000 Forum MembersHappy DiwaliThanksgiving DayMIUI Fan from TurkeyMIUI V5 Review2014 ChristmasFan Of MIUI IndiaFan Of MIUI BangladeshHappy Singles' Day300K Forum Members1 Million Forum MembersMIUI 30 Million Users100k Forum MembersI Love Mi BunnyAlpaca Mi Bunny Summer Mi BunnyGamer Mi BunnyMIUI Wallpaper ContestOTA FeedbackMIUI FollowerPioneer of MIUI English Forum App StarHumor MasterInbox ZeroYouth PledgeMIUI FB FollowerForum Contest LoverAndroid ElfMIUI Global Forum 2014MIUI Android 4.4 KitKatUpdates LoverMIUI Medals CollectorAndroid GuruDebate MasterMost Active MIUIerStar Of IconsDie-hard MIUI Fan

18:07, Nov-08-2013 | From PC
|
Thanks. Can you guys please interview the hardware designer next time?
narm5 ツ                                                                                          

Elite Member

Credits
Device
Mi 5
Online time
719 Hours
Send PM

Mi HomeFantastic!Awesome!MIUI 6I Love MIUIMIUI Devices ContestMi 3MIUI English Forum 2013MIUI 30 Million UsersMIUI 5th Anniversary90000 Forum Members3 Million Forum MembersMIUI 3rd Anniversary10 Million Forum PostsMIUI 2017MIUI 20 Million Users100k Forum MembersI Love Mi BunnyMIUI Beta TeamOTA FeedbackTechnology GuruMi Lover MedalAndroid GuruDie-hard MIUI FanPioneer of MIUI English Forum MIUI Follower

18:07, Nov-08-2013 | From PC
|
Reply Nanana Add Thread

Interview Nanana Pls

Credits Management

Quick Reply Top Return to the list