Platinum Member

Credits
Device
Others
Online time
150 Hours
Send PM

I Love MIUIMIUI Wallpaper Contest

[Interview] Get to know MI: Exclusive interview with the MIUI Theme Store's Alex Xiao

[ Promote]
7479 44 |
11:22, Oct-31-2013 | From PC
|
|
Go to reply no.
gettoknowmibanner1.png

This week I sat down with MIUI's Alex Xiao to ask him some questions about MIUI's wildly popular Theme store. I brought along some questions from forum users too... we got through a lot of them but didn't have time to cover everything (running an online store platform open to 20 million people is a hustle).

NB: (thank you to  ahulrulez, ob1.ch3n, narm5, hvung1982, miui-uk, javajohn, andronaline, MikaDee and to everyone else who contributed) If we didn't get to your question this week, submit one again next week and I'll do my best to get to it (I try to use questions from as many users as possible!).

Episode three: Alex Xiao
WP_20131031_01_41_31_Pro.jpg

jack_white: What's an average day for you like running the MIUI theme store? What's the best part of the job?

Alex Xiao: The coolest (and most grueling) part of my job is checking every theme before deciding whether or not to add it to the Theme store. I have to apply every theme that comes across my desk on several devices to make sure everything's there and is displaying normally (like the Lockscreen, the Contacts menu, the Clock, the Messaging interface, and the Status bar, etc). And more importantly, that there aren't any buggy pieces that mess with regular use.

144937pbcfprsyfpucwnpe.png.thumb.jpg

j: Ok, here's a question from @narm5, a user on our forum: What qualifies a good theme and how is the price decided?

a: When we price a theme (RMB 3 ~ RMB 10), we mostly think about two things: the overall quality of the artwork and the coverage ratio of the theme. The latter is basically a ratio that looks at what percentage of MIUI's stock theme the original theme covers. A basic theme will cover the bare bones of MIUI: Home screen, lock screen, Explorer, Dialpad, Messaging, Task manager, Clock, app icons. The next step up (i.e. the more complete themes) will also cover Update, Download manager, Virus scan, and Backup. If you design for all the pieces in your theme we defined it as "comprehensive".

j: How do you determine the "quality of the artwork"?

a: Photoshop is a lot of work. It takes a lot of time to get a theme to look really polished. The quality and the style of the art matter a lot.

j: A question from one of our mods on the forum, @Mikadee: Do Xiaomi and the designer share revenue or is the theme store is just an open market for themes?

a: Simply put: The designers take 70%, MIUI takes 30% (after tax)

j: How much do the top designers make a month?

a: RMB 20,000 ~ RMB 30,000 (USD 3,300 - USD 4,920)

j: I heard that you have to design your own theme from scratch during the interview process... can you share yours?

a: Sure: this is the (ulgy) theme I designed for the assignment. I couldn't handle colors that well so I choose went with a black and white China ink motif... I like blue a lot so I colored the toggles  blue. I've seen so many themes now, when I look back on my own theme I think "OMG it's hideous"!

xDrift.png

j: More questions from the users: What is your favourite MIUI theme? [miui-uk]

a: Here are my three favorite themes:

MI-800
MI-800theme.png

Touch the Future
ttftheme.png

And, of course, Iron Man... which you can get for free right here
Ironman1.png Ironman2.png

j: What about some of MIUI's more unique features: @andronaline asked: What's happening with MiSpace (MiDesktop) themes? I feel like it's a great concept but it's certainly not picking up.

a: MI desktop was a failed attempt. Some product managers thought that the "free-form" UI would bring a better experience... but it didn't. MIUI's Home screen already has tons of functionality and the MI desktop turned out to be kind of redundant. It was kind of like a decorative vase: beautiful to look at, but pretty much useless.

j: A lot of our users are curious about plans for the theme store to go international [Javajohn]... can you speak to that a bit?

a: We're already working on opening the store up to the international market. The most difficult part is the payment method... it takes too long. But we'll work it out, so just wait to be blown away!!!

j: Any idea to how payment might work outside of China?

a: I have no idea. I imagine the easiest thing would be to be like Amazon, Ebay, etc. and use Paypal.

j: I often see you playing old-school fighting games (via emulator) at lunch? What are your favorite fighting games?

a: hahaha busted! Yeah I love playing  the King of Fighters 97' and the King of Fighters 03'!

King-Of-Fighters-XIII.jpg

j: What else do you do when you're not looking at themes?

a: I like the show Modern Family. That is the family that I want to have one day. I also love SNL (Saturday Night Live). I like the show Two Broke Girls as well (Max is so mean, it's great!).

origin.jpg

j: What about music?

a: I like Beyonce. She's the best singer of all time.  

j: I think we'll end here with the Single Ladies video (best video of all time...). Thanks for taking the time to do this interview!!

a: Glad to do it!!

Revisit your favorite interviews here!!
Episode 1: Merideth Han
Episode 2: Vasilije Vasiljević aka balcan.gsm

More interviews!
MIUI-UK founder of MIUIAndroid.com
Interview with Alex García Admin & Founder of MIUI.es

Don't forget to submit questions you have for the MIUI dev team's lead developer for Mail and File Explorer apps

Favorite1 Share

Rated by 13 people   Experience Prestige Reason  

GangbuzzCrew + 5 Awesome!
Partha2808 + 1 Fantastic!
muharrem + 1 Thanks!
Hyunsun + 1 Thanks!
Lost_Animal + 4 + 1 Awesome!
MIUIes + 10 + 5 Thanks!
sukest + 5 Great!
braen + 5 Great!
narm5 + 1 Great!
Daconi + 1 Great!
nob1.ch3n + 2 Great!
Roussinov + 5 Great!
Derica + 6 Great!

Experience +47  Prestige +6  View Rating Log

Supreme Member

Credits
Device
Online time
580 Hours
Send PM

Mi BandAwesome!I Love MIUIMIUI 3rd AnniversaryMIUI 50 Million UsersMIUI 30 Million UsersThanksgiving DayMIUI V5 ReviewMIUI Fan From IndonesiaMIUI 4th AnniversaryMIUI 20 Million Users300K Forum MembersI Love Mi BunnyMIUI FollowerMIUI SuperstarStar Of ThemesRingtone Star MIUI ExpertMIUI Wallpaper ContestMIUI Global Forum 2014Pioneer of MIUI English Forum

14:58, Oct-31-2013 | From PC
|
danke

Retired Administrator

Sharing Is Caring

Credits
Device
Mi 4
Online time
2264 Hours
Send PM

Mi Power BankMi BandAwesome!MIUI 2015I Love MIUIMIUI 2016Mi 3RedmiMi 2Mi 190000 Forum Members1st AnniversaryMIUI 30 Million UsersMIUI 3rd Anniversary300K Forum MembersMIUI V5 ReviewMIUI English Forum 2013MIUI 4th Anniversary500K Forum MembersThanksgiving DayMerry ChristmasHappy Singles' Day900K Forum Members800K Forum MembersHappy Valentine's DayI Love Mi BunnyMi Bunny Game Master Best Theme DesignerApp StarMost Popular Forum UserRingtone ExpertWallpaper ExpertApp TalentMi TalentRingtone Star Super MIUI ThemeDebate MasterAndroid GuruMIUI FollowerMIUI Ice Bucket ChallengeForum Contest LoverMIUI Resources TeamMIUI Android 4.4 KitKatMIUI Global Forum 2014Pioneer of MIUI English Forum Humor Master

15:05, Oct-31-2013 | From PC
|
New blood! More are warmly welcomed

Administrator

Flashing

Credits
Device
Mi 5X
Online time
6189 Hours
Send PM

Mi MIXMi HomeAwesome!I Love MIUIMIUI 2016Fantastic!MIUI Devices ContestMi TVMIUI 50 Million UsersThanksgiving DayDiwali MIUI 20 Million UsersMIUI V5 ReviewMIUI 3rd Anniversary2014 ChristmasMIUI Fan From SingaporeFan Of MIUI RussiaMIUI 4th Anniversary1800K Forum MembersSuper SundayMIUI Fan From Nepal90000 Forum MembersMIUI Fan from TurkeyMIUI Forum AppI Love Mi Bunny2017 Annual AwardsMIUI Android 4.4 KitKatOTA FeedbackPioneer of MIUI English Forum Die-hard MIUI Fan

15:05, Oct-31-2013 | From PC
|
Great one! Hope to see more!!

Elite Member

Xiaomi Shareholder

Credits
Device
Mi 9
Online time
359 Hours
Send PM

Mi BandMi HomeI Love MIUIMIUI 6Awesome!MIUI English Forum 2013Fan Of MIUI India100k Forum MembersMIUI 20 Million UsersMIUI 3rd Anniversary90000 Forum MembersFan Of MIUI UKMIUI 50 Million UsersI Love Mi BunnyGamer Mi BunnyMIUI News TeamMIUI 10Debate MasterMIUI Community VIPMIUI FollowerAndroid GuruOTA FeedbackMIUI Wallpaper ContestPioneer of MIUI English Forum

15:14, Oct-31-2013 | From PC
|
Awesome work!!!
One of the 1st International MIUI users and Founder of Xiaomi European Community (xiaomi.eu), Original MIUI ROM English Translator from 2010 to 2015. Translator for Mi Jia and more.

Platinum Member

Credits
Device
Redmi Note 3
Online time
394 Hours
Send PM

Awesome!I Love MIUIMIUI 6Mi 3300K Forum MembersMIUI Fan from IndiaFan Of MIUI India100k Forum MembersMIUI Fan From Singapore90000 Forum MembersMIUI 3rd AnniversaryMIUI 30 Million UsersMIUI V5 ReviewMIUI 4th AnniversaryI Love Mi BunnyMIUI Beta TeamPioneer of MIUI English Forum Star Of ThemesStar Of IconsMIUI FollowerOTA FeedbackMIUI Android 4.4 KitKat

15:15, Oct-31-2013 | From PC
|
Great interview..

Thanks for sharing, nice to see the insite to the themes development team.
Device : Xiaomi Redmi Note 2 Prime
Device : Xiaomi Mi2s
Device : Xiaomi Mi2a
Device : Xiaomi Hongmi WCDMA
Device : Xiaomi Mi3 WCDMA
Device : HTC Sensation XE (G14/G18)
Device : HTC Desire
Device : HTC Wildfire (Buzz)

MIUI Fan Site

GFX DDRcore designer©

Credits
Device
Mi 6
Online time
600 Hours
Send PM

Xiaomi 6 LaunchMi VRUnlock MedalMi VR HeadsetMi HomeMijia Electric ScooterMi BandMi KeyMagic CubeMi Selfie StickMi Band 2Mi WiFiMijia Story TellerMi TV 70Mi Power Bank 10000MAH Mijia 360° Panoramic CameraMijia Qi CycleMi Bluetooth HeadsetMi  BunnyMi Power BankXiaomi 7th AnniversaryMIUI 7FlashholicMIUI 2015MIUI Devices ContestFantastic!MarshmallowMIUI 8I Love MIUIAwesome!MIUI 6MIUI 2016Mi 5 ProMi 5Mi TVMi 1Mi 34 Million Forum MembersMi 4i1500K Forum Members1400K Forum MembersMIUI V5 Review1700K Forum MembersMIUI 300 WeeksMid-Autumn FestivalFan Of MIUI Italy90000 Forum Members1800K Forum MembersHappy DiwaliMIUI English Forum 2013100k Forum MembersFan Of MIUI IndiaMIUI 30 Million UsersFan Of MIUI Ex-Yu Thanksgiving Day300K Forum MembersDiwali Happy Singles' DayMIUI 100 Million Users1900K Forum MembersHappy Valentine's Day1 Million Forum MembersUEFA EURO MedalOlympics MedalMIUI 6th AnniversaryMIUI Fan from MalaysiaMIUI Fan From SingaporeMIUI 4th AnniversaryMIUI 50 Million Users2014 ChristmasMIUI Forum App3 Million Forum Members10 Million Forum PostsMerry ChristmasFan Of MIUI SpainSuper ThursdaySurge S1Super WednesdayMIUI Lucky FridaySuper TuesdayMIUI 2017Women's Day MedalMIUI Happy MedalSuper FridayMIUI 9MIUI Font LoverSuper SundayHilal Ramadan MIUI Fan From NepalSuper SaturdayMIUI 7th AnniversaryMIUI PSuper Monday5 Million Forum App InstallsHappy Holi MedalRocket to FuturePuzzle MasterRooster Year of 2017Happy New Year3 Million Forum App InstallsI Love 2016Fan Of MIUI RussiaMIUI Weekly Poll2100K Forum MembersMIUI Drawing Talent1 Million Forum App InstallsMIUI Fan from IndiaMIUI World TourGamer Mi BunnyMiPopI Love Mi BunnyAlpaca Mi Bunny MIUI ReviewMIUI 10Quick SurveyMIUI Weekly Devices QuizMIUI 8th AnniversaryOreoHappy 201913 Million Forum MembersTheme TalentPOCO F1Wallpaper ExpertMIUI Wallpaper ContestXiaomi 8th AnniversaryMost Popular Forum UserStar Wars8 Million Forum MembersSurprise2017 Annual AwardsOTA Feedback9 Million Forum MembersPioneer of MIUI English Forum Black SharkMIUI G+ FollowerNougat5 Million Forum MembersYouth PledgeTechnology GuruMi Lover MedalMi TalentMIUI ExpertScroll Of WisdomAndroid ElfHumor MasterDebate Master7 Million Forum MembersApp MasterMIUI KingMIUI Twitter FollowerApp StarMi Story TellerApp TalentStar Of TechnologyApp TalentMIUI FollowerMIUI Ice Bucket ChallengeMIUI Medals CollectorDie-hard MIUI FanAndroid GuruMIUI Android 4.4 KitKatMIUI SuperstarInbox ZeroMaster Of TechnologyForum Contest LoverMIUI Global Forum 2014Mi Bunny Game Master Updates LoverMIUI FB Follower

16:02, Oct-31-2013 | From PC
|
Awesome work! Bravissimo....

Gold Member

Credits
Device
Redmi 1S
Online time
64 Hours
Send PM

I Love MIUI100k Forum Members90000 Forum Members300K Forum MembersMIUI 4th AnniversaryOTA FeedbackPioneer of MIUI English Forum

16:09, Oct-31-2013 | From PC
|
Thanks for the interview :)

Elite Member

Credits
Device
Mi Max 32GB
Online time
878 Hours
Send PM

Mi Portable WiFiYeelight Bedside LampMi In-Ear HeadphonesMi HomeMi BoxMi Power BankMi KeyUnlock MedalMi BandMi WiFi RouterAwesome!MIUI 2016Fantastic!FlashholicMIUI 2015MIUI 6I Love MIUIMIUI 7MIUI 8Mi Note ProXiaomi Mi 4Mi 4iMi NoteMi Max Mi TVRedmi 1SRedmiRedmi NoteRedmi 2Redmi Note 2Mi 4cMi 3Hilal Ramadan MIUI 20 Million UsersMIUI Fan From PhilippinesMIUI 50 Million UsersSingapore BirthdayHappy Singles' DayMIUI 9100k Forum MembersMIUI 4th AnniversaryMIUI 3rd AnniversaryDiwali 300K Forum Members1st AnniversaryMIUI Fan from India90000 Forum MembersMIUI English Forum 2013MIUI 30 Million UsersHappy DiwaliMIUI Fan From SingaporeMIUI Fan from MalaysiaMIUI V5 ReviewMIUI Fan From IndonesiaThanksgiving Day1400K Forum Members1500K Forum MembersFan Of MIUI IndiaMIUI Marathon Medal600K Forum MembersPokemon Master MedalMIUI 5th Anniversary1 Million Forum MembersMerry Christmas800K Forum MembersUEFA EURO MedalMIUI Fan From Brazil700K Forum MembersSurge S1Xiaomi 5th AnniversaryMIUI Font Lover2014 ChristmasMIUI Fan from TurkeyMIUI Lucky FridayHappy Valentine's DayMIUI 100 Million UsersMIUI World TourI Love Mi BunnyAlpaca Mi Bunny Gamer Mi BunnySummer Mi BunnyMiPopMIUI News Team8 Million Forum MembersRingtone Star MIUI KingMi Lover MedalMIUI Android 4.4 KitKatMIUI Wallpaper ContestTechnology GuruAndroid GuruMIUI Medals CollectorMIUI FollowerUpdates LoverStar Of IconsScroll Of WisdomDebate MasterMIUI FB FollowerMIUI Global Forum 2014Android ElfYouth PledgeDie-hard MIUI FanMost Active MIUIerForum Contest LoverMi TalentMi Bunny Game Master App StarPioneer of MIUI English Forum Humor MasterStar MIUI News Team MemberOTA Feedback

16:13, Oct-31-2013 | From PC
|
so cuteee......

i heard that miuiers will get a special theme in his/her birthday is it true or just a myth??? just once or every year???
To know MI is to love MI (◡ ‿ ◡ ✿)

(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥

Diamond Member

Credits
Device
Redmi 3
Online time
37 Hours
Send PM

MIUI 2016Redmi 3100k Forum MembersI Love Mi BunnyAlpaca Mi Bunny OTA FeedbackPioneer of MIUI English Forum

17:05, Oct-31-2013 | From PC
|
Nice interview, is good to know who is behind every great theme :)
Xiaomi RedMi 3

Credits Management

Quick Reply Top Return to the list