Platinum Member

Credits
Device
Mi 5
Online time
41 Hours
Send PM

Mi HomeMi HeadphonesMi Band 2Xiaomi 6 LaunchMagic CubeXiaomi 7th AnniversaryMIUI Devices ContestMi 5Surge S1Super WednesdaySuper FridayWomen's Day MedalMIUI Happy Medal10 Million Forum PostsSuper ThursdayPuzzle MasterMIUI 7th Anniversary3 Million Forum Members5 Million Forum App Installs90000 Forum MembersMIUI 2017Super TuesdayMIUI Lucky FridaySuper SundaySuper SaturdayMIUI Forum AppSuper MondayHappy Valentine's DayRocket to FutureYouth PledgeMi Lover MedalStar Of TechnologyDie-hard MIUI FanMIUI SuperstarMIUI ExpertForum Contest LoverAndroid GuruMIUI Ice Bucket ChallengeAndroid ElfMIUI FollowerDebate Master

[Discussion] [IMPORTANT] All about Mi 5X from AliExpress (fake firmware, bricks and etc)

[ Promote]
73411 344 |
01:30, Sep-14-2017 | From PC
|
|
Go to reply no.
This post was edited by PerezChilli at 01:34, Nov-16-2017

Hey guys! I can see that lots of people bricked their devices from AliExpress. So, this situation is annoying, but you can't do anything with it at this moment. I'll try to explain what is happening.
Devices variants
I want to list ALL types of devices, which exist at this moment and how to determine yours one. Thanks to Саша Серый and Lefey from Russian 4PDA conference for experiments and this information.
1. Bootloader type: Tiffany. This phones were known before as type 1 and type 2. They have a bunny in Fastboot mode and working recovery. If you type
  1. fastboot getvar all
Copy the Code
in Fastboot mode you'll get
  1. (bootloader) version:0.5
  2. ...
  3. (bootloader) serialno:a8c7d4380304
  4. ...
  5. (bootloader) product:tiffany
Copy the Code
IMG_20170922_032508.jpg

You can unlock this phone using MiFlash Unlock app, flash official firmware and else without any problems. Also you can install TWRP and flash every localized firmware (i.e. xiaomi.eu).

1505934304041.jpg

If you have "unlocked" icon at the bottom during startup, your phone has already been officially unlocked. You can install TWRP and custom firmware without any danger.
2. Bootloader type: Oxygen. This phones were known before as type 3.
Video: Mi 5X type 3 system starting

This devices show that they have unlocked bootloader and it's true, but it's actually replaced to Mi Max 2 one (no one knows why). There are no bunny (only black screen with backlit) in Fastboot mode and black screen (with backlit) in Recovery mode. If you type
  1. fastboot getvar all
Copy the Code
you'll get something like this
  1. (bootloader) version:LA.UM.5.5.r1-02800-8x96.0-84-g7f1de0c
  2. ...
  3. (bootloader) serialno:f80d6a16
  4. ...
  5. (bootloader) product:oxygen
Copy the Code
1506039851242.jpg

At the phone you can find signs of disassembly (Chinese sellers can seal the phone after flashing, it's not proof that device is untouched).

Снимок экрана (11).png

UPDATE 16/09/17, MODDED 24/09/17: today I can totally conclude, that this devices have unlocked bootloader from Mi Max 2 (emmc_appsboot.mbn). When the phone starts with aboot from Mi Max 2, it overrides several blocks of memory in SoC QFPROM and after that aboot from Mi 5X can't be started by SBL (Seconadary Bootloader) caused updated blocks: SBL don't pass aboot with lower version (Mi 5X and others: 0, Mi Max 2: 1), so device falls in 900E diagnostics mode. This is a form of downgrade protection for aboot. Today the ball is on Xiaomi side: they should provide a solution to install updated aboot.
Risks with Tiffany bootloader devices or how to kill your Mi 5X
If you flash your devices with Mi Max 2 firmwares (or emmc_appsboot.mbn from it), you'll get Oxygen bootloader without possibility to reverting back! So if you have a brick and sure, that your device has Tiffany bootloader, never flash foreign backups! Your problem can be solved by flashing to stock firmware.
Risks with Oxygen bootloader devices or how had it been already killed by sellers
This type of devices can be obtained from original ones when you flash them with Mi Max 2 firmwares or it's emmc_appsboot.mbn. If you'll flash Oxygen bootloader device with stock firmware (by every method) you'll get a brick. Also you'll get a brick if you lock bootloader, install TWRP and something else: you'll be in 900E HS-USB Diagnostics mode.
I have device with Oxygen bootloader. What can I do with it?
Flash your device only with modded ROMs, which have replaced emmc_appsboot.mbn -or- replace it themselves.
If you flashed to stock ROM or did something else and got 900E mode bricked device, you can restore it with this method: check it out.
Strongly recommended to install bootloader write-protected TWRP after unbrick. Check it out. This TWRP version gives you an opportunity to update your phone without emmc_appsboot.mbn replacing, so you can install any ROM you want.
Recommendation for byers
(!!!) Recommendation for newbies at the moment: If you bought your Xiaomi Mi 5X and found, that your device has Oxygen bootloader, I strongly recommend you to return your phone back. (!!!)
Remember, that Xiaomi Mi 5X are going to be the first Xiaomi phone, which was software bricked without possibility of full restoring to factory condition.
Favorite68 Share

Rated by 20 people   Experience Prestige Reason  

anonggnona + 1 Great!
Alfino11 + 5 Fantastic!
074783 + 2 Thanks!
spacenight + 2 Fantastic!
oriont13 + 2 Great!
Razortm + 1 Great!
Ninovalent + 1 Great!
kks24 + 2 Great!
rainbowchildren + 2 Great!
rossysahara + 1 Fantastic!
Cody746 + 1 Awesome!
Secans + 2 Great!
ros_ua + 1 Fantastic!
gigisector + 1 Great!
Muz_paray + 10 + 3 Awesome!
rathaROG + 4 Thanks!
miuimami + 1 Great!
pastu_ + 1 Thanks!
ChristophAT + 1 Awesome!
Empty.cad + 1 Thanks!

Experience +42  Prestige +3  View Rating Log

Nizhny Novgorod 152 Russia

Credits
Device
Online time
0 Hours
Send PM
07:46, Sep-28-2017 | Via mobile
|
there are many problems with fake roms, changes of aboot, flashes of roms mia1, broken systems and partitions. Xiaomi must provide solution, xiaomi must perform procedure of over write official partitions and power flash official rom, whatever the problem. generic solution for any software malfunction. At this step, xiaomi never be able to enter official in europe, would ruin. in europe there are laws that protect the consumer. I be a fan of xiaomi, but with these problems and the silence of xiaomi I be disappointed. we create a thread of signatures to request to xiaomi official partition table and method of writing, let us sign all, go and millions of affected. Such a problem can plunge a company. Although the sellers are not official, the product has left the factories of xiaomi and xiaomi to be responsible for their product. In China there are also laws, I am speaking with the embassy and this being considered a global scam, can be denounced if we join those affected. if you bring 1 million affected to 1 euro per head, we can have a defense of 1 million euros. Xiaomi forced to give solution to security problem of their product, hacked by their "workers" or Chinese vendors. I hope this post reaches xiaomi ears, because in Spain I will have a meeting of affected.

Comment

timkempton Having said that Xiaomi are working on a solution for the problem because of their commitment to customer service but if they cannot solve the problem it is NOT their fault.  15:46, Oct-05-2017
timkempton This problem was NOT caused by Xiaomi and Xiaomi have no legal obligation to do anything about damage done by unofficial retailers and grey market purchasers Mi 5X is a China market device!  15:44, Oct-05-2017

Credits
Device
Online time
1 Hours
Send PM
08:50, Sep-25-2017 | From Mi 5X
|
PerezChilli replied at 2017-9-25 04:03
Yes, just flash original ROM via Fastboot

tengkyuu brader .

Credits
Device
Mi 5X
Online time
3 Hours
Send PM
04:18, Sep-14-2017 | From PC
|
Following!

Thanks for this info. I'm stuck with fake rom also... I messaged AliExpress seller today about this hacked rom, I think this will not affect anything, because buyers protection has ended in 7th of september :( I looked up close to near USB type C port on my device but didn't find any marks. But after looking with flashlight it seems they have cracked open my phone above the 3.5mm headphone jack. SO MAD!

Platinum Member

Credits
Device
Mi 5
Online time
41 Hours
Send PM

Mi HomeMi HeadphonesMi Band 2Xiaomi 6 LaunchMagic CubeXiaomi 7th AnniversaryMIUI Devices ContestMi 5Surge S1Super WednesdaySuper FridayWomen's Day MedalMIUI Happy Medal10 Million Forum PostsSuper ThursdayPuzzle MasterMIUI 7th Anniversary3 Million Forum Members5 Million Forum App Installs90000 Forum MembersMIUI 2017Super TuesdayMIUI Lucky FridaySuper SundaySuper SaturdayMIUI Forum AppSuper MondayHappy Valentine's DayRocket to FutureYouth PledgeMi Lover MedalStar Of TechnologyDie-hard MIUI FanMIUI SuperstarMIUI ExpertForum Contest LoverAndroid GuruMIUI Ice Bucket ChallengeAndroid ElfMIUI FollowerDebate Master

Author| 05:47, Sep-14-2017 | From PC
|
Darkstari replied at 2017-9-14 04:18
Following!

Thanks for this info. I'm stuck with fake rom also... I messaged AliExpress seller today ...

It's not good anymore, you should contact with your seller and return your phone back if you can. That's all that I can recommend at this moment. If you have working phone now, your phone can become bricked at every moment in feature and you won't restore it at the factory settings.

Credits
Device
Mi 5X
Online time
15 Hours
Send PM
12:49, Sep-14-2017 | From PC
|
So if the device comes with the rom 8.5.6.0.0, I can not change the rom ???

Platinum Member

Credits
Device
Mi 5X
Online time
8 Hours
Send PM

Mi ScaleMi HeadphonesMijia Story TellerXiaomi 6 LaunchMi VRMi Kids WatchMi Bluetooth HeadsetXiaomi 7th AnniversaryMIUI Devices ContestMi 5X4 Million Forum MembersSuper WednesdayMIUI Forum App90000 Forum MembersRocket to Future3500K Forum MembersSuper Monday300K Forum MembersSuper Tuesday100k Forum MembersMIUI 2017MIUI 9MIUI Lucky FridayMIUI Happy MedalGamer Mi BunnyMi Lover MedalMIUI Halloween 2017Forum Contest LoverMi 5X2017 Annual AwardsDebate MasterMIUI FollowerDie-hard MIUI FanPioneer of MIUI English Forum Technology GuruUpdates LoverMIUI Android 4.4 KitKat7 Million Forum MembersAndroid GuruMi Bunny Game Master Ringtone Expert

13:13, Sep-14-2017 | From Mi 5X
|
when i ordered my mi 5x i insisted of having a sealed box from factory with official chinese rom ... now i think i got lucky with it ... it came with version 8.5. 11 or something , i updated it to 8.5.14 NDBCNED china stable. it is the first version of the phone i think ...

Platinum Member

Credits
Device
Mi 5
Online time
41 Hours
Send PM

Author| 18:30, Sep-14-2017 | From Mi 5
|
Ramos_92 replied at 2017-9-14 12:49

no. Please return your phone to seller and ask for the refund. The problem is going to be fundamental and fix in future won't bring full functionality and ability to install official firmware (infinite custom ROM forever)

Platinum Member

Credits
Device
Mi 5
Online time
41 Hours
Send PM

Author| 18:31, Sep-14-2017 | From Mi 5
|
artan31 replied at 2017-9-14 13:13
when i ordered my mi 5x i insisted of having a sealed box from factory with official chinese rom ... ...

yes, you have type 1 phone and you can flash and unlock it as usual, please don't worry

Platinum Member

Credits
Device
Mi 5
Online time
41 Hours
Send PM

Author| 18:33, Sep-14-2017 | From Mi 5
|
Ramos_92 replied at 2017-9-14 12:49

also I recommend you to find signs of disassembly and wrote about it when you'll ask for return

Credits
Device
Mi 5X
Online time
15 Hours
Send PM
20:13, Sep-14-2017 | From PC
|
I realized the purchase plus the device has not arrived yet

Credits
Device
Mi 5X
Online time
15 Hours
Send PM
21:11, Sep-14-2017 | From PC
|
if you use the program XiaoMiTool will not you change that shop rom?

Credits Management

Quick Reply Top Return to the list