El Psy Congroo!

Credits
Device
Mi 5
MIUI Version
Online time
676 Hours
Send PM

Mi BoxMi KeyMi BandXiaomi 6 LaunchMi In-Ear HeadphonesMi  BunnyFantastic!Awesome!FlashholicMIUI 2015MIUI 7I Love MIUIMIUI 8MIUI 6MIUI Devices Contest4 Million Forum MembersMi 3Mi NoteMIUI Fan from Malaysia2014 ChristmasThanksgiving DayMIUI Fan From IndonesiaDiwali Fan MIUI PhilippinesMIUI Fan From Singapore1st Anniversary300K Forum MembersMIUI Fan From PhilippinesHappy Singles' DayMIUI 4th AnniversaryMIUI Lucky FridayMIUI Fan from TurkeyMIUI World TourMIUI 6th AnniversaryRooster Year of 20173500K Forum MembersSuper MondayMIUI 2017MIUI 91900K Forum Members1 Million Forum MembersMIUI 300 WeeksHappy Valentine's DayMIUI 100 Million UsersMerry ChristmasAlpaca Mi Bunny I Love Mi BunnyGamer Mi BunnyMIUI ReviewTechnology GuruMIUI FollowerMost Active MIUIerMIUI Android 4.4 KitKatForum Contest LoverMIUI Global Forum 2014Mi Lover MedalStar Of IconsDie-hard MIUI FanYouth PledgeHumor MasterScroll Of WisdomAndroid GuruInbox ZeroUpdates LoverMIUI FB Follower

[Tips & Tutorials] What the Tech?!! #5: Overflashing (Is it a thing, or just a Myth?)

[ Promote]
16423 169 |
13:22, Jan-08-2015 | From PC
|
|
Go to reply no.
This post was edited by Iyengar at 13:54, Jan-08-2015

Unfamiliar with What the Tech?!! Series? Well, check out the previous issues below:

What the TECH template.jpg

Hi Everyone!
Happy New Year! and I'm back with another Issue of What the Tech?!

I've always been a Flashaholic ever since I had my first android phone (LG P500) way back in 2011. I remember then that I was frequent checker of XDA forums for new ROMS, in every device that I've own through the years. I even flash twice or thrice a day, checking and testing every ROM out there for my device.

But it always made me wonder,
would I eventually damage my Phone if I frequently flash, wipe, and write ROMs and flashable zips? What the TECH?!

To attempt answering the question, we must first understand how flashing works.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

What is Flashing?

Flashing is the the process of over-writing existing data in your internal storage device with new data.

over ROM.jpg

In Android terms, Flashing mainly refers to the way we install ROMS and flashable ZIP tweaks, to our device through 2 ways:

a.) the Recovery, or b.) Fastboot
Learn more about them here:

As we know, our devices uses different types of storage, but it usually uses an internal storage device, called a flash memory storage, where the Android System is contained.

My MI 3 for example uses a 16GB Sandisk Multi-Layered Cell (MLC) NAND flash memory.

NAND-Flash-Memory-Products.jpg

As Wikipedia defines it:
Flash memory is an electronic non-volatile computer storage medium that can be electrically erased and reprogrammed.
The NAND type flash is primarily used in main memory, memory cards, USB flash drives, solid-state drives, and similar products, for general storage and transfer of data.
But, one significant disadvantage of flash memory is the finite amount of read/write cycles in a specific block.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
So now, the question is,
can the flash memory handle frequent, and excessive wipe and flash of ROM's and Fastboot?

Just like any other electronic device, a Flash memory has a lifespan, or "Memory Wear"

....(a) flash memory has a finite number of program-erase cycles (typically written as P/E cycles) per block. Most commercially available flash products are guaranteed to withstand around 10,000 P/E cycles (for MLC) per block before the wear begins to deteriorate the integrity of the storage...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Should I be worried about Flashing Frequently?

Honestly, No. Flashing wont be a problem.
Whether you're Flashing ROMs daily or just copying files to your devices, or simply downloading stuff to your flash memory, you are still using up the life-cycle of your flash memory.

While true, your device's flash memory will eventually fail in the future, but you've probably replaced your phone with a new one at that time. Besides, different Wear Leveling techniques are being used to prolong the life-span of your flash device,

With Wear-leveling, for example: My MI3 uses a 16GB Sandisk Multi-Layered Cell (MLC) NAND flash memory. MLC NANDs is generally rated with read/write endurance of 10,000 cycles. So, let's say I flash a ROM (usually 500MB) every 5 minutes, continually. That would amount to 57.6 GB per day. And the total number of days the drive will last before becoming unreliable is:

(Capacity of the Flash Memory x P/E Cycle Rating)/Total of Data transfer per day) = Theoretical Lifespan (in days)

So,

(16 GB x 10,000 P/E Cycle)/57.6 GB per day = 2778 days, which is about 7.6 years of continued flashing every 5 minutes, before my flash memory dies on me.
Flashing a ROM daily, it would take you 876 years before your flash memory dies.

con03_02.jpg wl.jpg

therefore, 10,000 P/E cycles is pretty much just a theoretical number.

I've probably flashed ROMS hundeds of times in my LG P500 I had in 2011, and it's still working just as it was.

In Conclusion:
Over-flashing will not damage your device (hardware-wise), but Memory Wear will, ..... over time.

But what do you guys think? Is there really a thing as Over-flashing? Participate in our debate below!

------------------------------------------

Sources:

Always remember: Don't be Ignorant! Be Smart, Be Informed!

Iakwbos, Signing off.

Expiration: 14:47, Jan-31-2015

Pro side Over-flashing is TRUE. It can really cause some damage to my phone.
Nickie6817:
Somehow, just stay on the safe side :| Don't overflash if not necessary.
pranavmarathe:
Now it's clear that there won't be much wear to the memory but my worr...
Mani56005:
gives better experience and taste of latest version of android
Bubash:
You can customize as much as you can
Bubash:
We use the device as per our wish
dipanjanforever:
nice explanation
mfl3:
Very informative. Thanks!
kausumi20:
overflashing for a long period can actually slowdown the device
paras739jain:
thanks for the detailed description about the matter
HoangTuBot:
IMHO: Internal storage (NAND flash memmory) are divided into differen...
HoangTuBot:
Internal storage are divided into different partition. And /system par...
Rizvi:
superb article !!!!
Trinadh554:
Nice research dude!! More or less it will effect the efficiency.. an...
Ainx666:
Ages of cycle of flash memory will be faster...
Rockybalbolina:
great explain
jenz1:
There's just some things that has to be accepted to be true by experie...
GR33dyBlackie:
{:4_101:}
GR33dyBlackie:
{:4_100:}
vikneshrajen:
good Explanation...
Friends786:
I do believe overflashing slows down your device
Neeraj19:
Thats Great, Thanks for the info
MasihCupu:
Very informative articles. Overflashing might damage your device but ...
blackomen:
"Over" done is not good. Once a while might be normal.
Raahul21:
Flashing depends upon the knowledge that how good you are at flashing ...
Mansehej:
Maybe it's my imagination, but I actually feel the performance of my p...
M1gen:
Nice article indeed, but counts on only theoretical best case.
rane1810:
Good explanation bro....!!
Aj989999403:
I flashed my s3 more than 200 times and its work like new phone…
grapox:
nice article
shub11:
i myself is frequent rom flasher but i always been afred that one day ...
Con side Overflashing is just a MYTH. It won\'t damage my phone.
PintuChief:
iakwbos replied at 2015-1-8 16:31 its probable that i'll be even dead befo...
incikweasel:
Great article
fai.fahmi:
i agreed with you... flashing wont damage phone
RejiT:
advance tech
arashpath:
It want affect your phone but damages your brain.. you become greedy.. try...
t4hmid:
Have been flashing phones since 2009. never had any bricks whatsoever
Acuk:
i think flashing ROMs its save {:4_125:} but worries is still there {:4_104...
j.epp:
I'll flash a new ROM today after reading this!
Owen_Choo:
I think overflashing will not really damage my phone...
singh_dd93:
Nah! Not in phone's Lifetime {:m003:}
azaan:
never had any issues with flashing.
MikeUI:
Just as the thread says it will really take a long time till the flash memo...
VikasTanwar:
Best to use phone @ it's best
mamat20131:
I always flash new rom every week {:6_222:}
PKUI:
I love Myths!!! {:m003:}
DaZ1994:
Obviously its a myth I've flashed my redmi 1S quite a lot and no visible da...
matrixbharath:
I just honestly flash crazy amounts
miphonemanager:
nice article
iakwbos:
HoangTuBot replied at 2015-1-10 23:57 IMHO: Internal storage (NAND flash ...
iakwbos:
HoangTuBot replied at 2015-1-10 23:57 IMHO: Internal storage (NAND flash ...
helloansuman:
Till now i dont think it has any negative effect. But yes i also sometimes ...
Dharani_V:
Its a Myth :P i flash once a day :p
LittleMadita:
It's a myth
g0ran:
Technology advances so fast that it doesn't matter.
brantass:
Just a MYTH.
nickarbine:
Nice explanation.
mtarun:
I don't think the mobile will last that long. Either we'll discard it after...
Aritra1911:
WOW, Awesome article, love your explanation.{:3_46:} So this is a myth (...
Doraha_Raman:
I always flash my phone It does not cause any problem unless you have a sig...
rohitbn31:
Great article bro ....

Favorite7 Share

Rated by 37 people   Experience Prestige Reason  

RejiT + 5 Fantastic!
Acuk + 2 Agreed!
kennyanthony8 + 8 Fantastic!
nickarbine + 5 Great!
Rizvi + 5 Fantastic!
Malathi + 5 Thanks for the explanation!!
rohitbn31 + 1 Great!
Schwaa + 1 Thanks!
Trinadh554 + 2 Fantastic!
nkou + 1 Fantastic!
ussmrg + 4 Great!
fluster84 + 1 Awesome!
Arturius79 + 1 Agreed!
Yrcik + 1 Thanks!
GR33dyBlackie + 5 Awesome!
gnozt90 + 1 Thanks!
Bhupender707 + 5 Its Fabulous !!
hansel0517 + 5 Fantastic!
Hemantnet + 4 Awesome!
shashankp1 + 8 Awesome!
West4Gunner + 5 Great!
freaksunit + 1 Agreed!
iamvamc + 5 useful
flamingrush2 + 5 Fantastic!
Atyant + 5 Awesome!
RickkYeZ95 + 10 Awesome!
fksgs2 + 3 If i would have more ratings to give.

Experience +162  Prestige +6  View Rating Log

Platinum Member

Credits
Device
Redmi 2
MIUI Version
V8.5.1.0.LHJMIED
Online time
188 Hours
Send PM

Mi BandAwesome!MIUI 2015MIUI 6Xiaomi Mi 4Mi TVRedmi 1SMi NoteRedmi NoteRedmi 3Mi Note ProRedmi 2MIUI 100 Million UsersMIUI Fan from MalaysiaFan Of  MIUI AzerbaijanFan Of MIUI India2014 ChristmasFan Of MIUI Bangladesh500K Forum MembersMIUI Fan From BrazilMIUI Fan from IndiaMIUI Fan From Singapore600K Forum MembersHilal Ramadan Thanksgiving DayXiaomi 5th AnniversaryGamer Mi BunnyI Love Mi BunnyMIUI Global Forum 2014MIUI FB FollowerAndroid ElfForum Contest LoverHumor Master

17:02, Jan-08-2015 | From PC
|
nice article
Better Late than NEVER
Share Your Knowledge, Not Show Your Knowledge

Diamond Member

Credits
Device
Mi 3
MIUI Version
Online time
213 Hours
Send PM

Mi BandI Love MIUIMIUI 7MIUI 6MIUI 2015Mi 3Mi Note ProRedmi NoteFan Of MIUI IndiaHappy Singles' Day2014 ChristmasMIUI 4th AnniversaryMIUI Fan From BrazilMIUI Fan From IndonesiaMIUI 100 Million UsersAndroid GuruMIUI Android 4.4 KitKatAndroid ElfMIUI Global Forum 2014

17:23, Jan-08-2015 | From PC
|
nyc one to share..

Supreme Member

End of God's Creation!!

Credits
Device
Mi 4
MIUI Version
V8.2.1.0.KHCMIDL
Online time
733 Hours
Send PM

Mi WiFiMi VR HeadsetMi Power StripMi BandMi Power Bank 10000MAH Yi Action CameraMi KeyMi Yi CameraMi Selfie StickMijia Mi Bunny RobotMi TV 70Mijia Story TellerMi  BunnyMi WiFi Router MiniMi Power BankMi In-Ear HeadphonesYeelight Bedside LampMi Bluetooth SpeakerMi Bluetooth Canon SpeakerMi Band 2Mi HeadphonesMi HomeMagic CubeUnlock MedalXiaomi 6 LaunchMi VRXiaomi 7th AnniversaryMIUI 8I Love MIUIMIUI 7MIUI 2016Awesome!MIUI 2015FlashholicMIUI Devices ContestAnTuTuFantastic!MarshmallowMIUI 6Mi 4SRedmi NoteRedmi ProMi 3Xiaomi Mi 4Mi PadMi NoteRedmi 2Mi 4iRedmi 3Redmi Note 3Redmi Note 2Redmi 1SMi TVRedmi 4/Prime/4AMIUI Fan From SingaporeFan Of MIUI BangladeshFan Of MIUI RussiaMerry Christmas900K Forum MembersMIUI 4th AnniversaryMIUI Lucky Friday800K Forum MembersCamera Filter Guru MedalFan of MIUI MyanmarHappy New Year3 Million Forum App InstallsMIUI Fan From IndonesiaSuper SaturdayXiaomi 6th AnniversaryMIUI 2017MIUI Fan from Turkey3 Million Forum MembersMIUI Fan From Philippines1 Million Forum MembersMIUI Drawing TalentSuper ThursdayMIUI Fan From BrazilMalaysia AnniversaryMIUI 100 Million Users600K Forum MembersMIUI Fan from MalaysiaWomen's Day MedalSingapore Merlion Medal500K Forum MembersXiaomi 5th AnniversarySuper WednesdayRocket to FutureAtaturk Mourning700K Forum MembersMIUI 5th Anniversary2014 ChristmasFan Of  MIUI AzerbaijanHappy Valentine's DayFan Of MIUI FranceSuper MondayHilal Ramadan Fan Of MIUI BulgariaFan Of MIUI IndiaI Love 2016MIUI 300 WeeksMid-Autumn FestivalMIUI Forum AppOlympics Medal90000 Forum Members3500K Forum MembersPokemon Master MedalMi Live MedalMIUI Monthly Talk1700K Forum Members1500K Forum Members1900K Forum MembersMIUI World TourMIUI Weekly PollFan Of MIUI ItalyDiwali Happy Diwali1400K Forum Members2100K Forum MembersMIUI Marathon MedalHappy Holi MedalMIUI 6th AnniversaryPuzzle MasterUEFA EURO MedalSurge S110 Million Forum PostsFan Of MIUI PolandRooster Year of 20171 Million Forum App Installs5 Million Forum PostsFan Of MIUI Greece300K Forum MembersMIUI Fan From NepalMIUI Fan From VietnamMIUI Fan From MyanmarMIUI Fan from IndiaThanksgiving DayGamer Mi BunnyAlpaca Mi Bunny MiPopSummer Mi BunnyI Love Mi BunnyMIUI Beta team - IndiaMIUI ReviewMIUI FB FollowerForum Contest LoverMIUI FollowerPioneer of MIUI English Forum Inbox ZeroMIUI Global Forum 2014Android ElfOTA FeedbackTechnology GuruStar Of IconsStar Of TechnologyMIUI Android 4.4 KitKatMr. DependableYouth PledgeMi Lover MedalApp TalentApp StarMIUI KingMIUI SuperstarMIUI Ice Bucket ChallengeMaster Of TechnologyApp TalentMIUI ExpertDie-hard MIUI FanWallpaper ExpertMIUI G+ FollowerMi TalentScroll Of WisdomDebate MasterHumor MasterMIUI Twitter FollowerUpdates LoverMi Bunny Game Master Mi Story TellerMIUI Medals CollectorRingtone TalentAndroid GuruMIUI Photography GuruRingtone Star

19:36, Jan-08-2015 | From PC
|
I some how don't like over flashing.
Proud owner of Mi4. MIUI fan from Kolkata, India

Diamond Member

Credits
Device
Redmi 1S
MIUI Version
V7.1.1.0.KHKMICK
Online time
89 Hours
Send PM

Mi BandMi In-Ear HeadphonesMi Power BankMi WiFi RouterMIUI 2015Fantastic!I Love MIUIAwesome!MIUI 2016MIUI Devices ContestRedmi 1SRedmi 2Mi Note500K Forum MembersSuper ThursdayHappy Valentine's DayI Love 2016MIUI Fan from India2100K Forum MembersMIUI Fan from MalaysiaMIUI 9Alpaca Mi Bunny I Love Mi BunnyGamer Mi BunnyDebate MasterAndroid ElfScroll Of WisdomMIUI ExpertMIUI FB Follower

19:54, Jan-08-2015 | Via mobile
|
i myself is frequent rom flasher but i always been afred that one day i will ruin my phone memory but thanx for you share now i will continue my flashing without fear

Comment

iakwbos glad to help mate.  19:57, Jan-08-2015

Platinum Member

Credits
Device
Redmi 2
MIUI Version
V8.5.1.0.LHJMIED
Online time
188 Hours
Send PM

Mi BandAwesome!MIUI 2015MIUI 6Xiaomi Mi 4Mi TVRedmi 1SMi NoteRedmi NoteRedmi 3Mi Note ProRedmi 2MIUI 100 Million UsersMIUI Fan from MalaysiaFan Of  MIUI AzerbaijanFan Of MIUI India2014 ChristmasFan Of MIUI Bangladesh500K Forum MembersMIUI Fan From BrazilMIUI Fan from IndiaMIUI Fan From Singapore600K Forum MembersHilal Ramadan Thanksgiving DayXiaomi 5th AnniversaryGamer Mi BunnyI Love Mi BunnyMIUI Global Forum 2014MIUI FB FollowerAndroid ElfForum Contest LoverHumor Master

20:50, Jan-08-2015 | From PC
|
nice article
Better Late than NEVER
Share Your Knowledge, Not Show Your Knowledge

Diamond Member

Proud to be Indian..!!!

Credits
Device
Redmi Note 4 Qualcomm
MIUI Version
Online time
212 Hours
Send PM

Mi BandI Love MIUIMIUI 8MIUI 2016MIUI Devices ContestRedmi Note 3Mi 3Redmi Note 4MIUI 91500K Forum MembersMIUI 100 Million UsersMIUI Forum AppMIUI Beta TeamMi Lover MedalForum Contest LoverPioneer of MIUI English Forum Android GuruDebate MasterTechnology GuruDie-hard MIUI FanMIUI Android 4.4 KitKat

21:00, Jan-08-2015 | Via mobile
|
I flashed my s3 more than 200 times and its work like new phone…

Diamond Member

Credits
Device
Redmi Note 3G
MIUI Version
V8.5.3.0.MHOMIED
Online time
68 Hours
Send PM

Mi BandMi BoxMi Band 2Xiaomi 7th AnniversaryFlashholicMIUI 6Awesome!MIUI Devices ContestMIUI 2015I Love MIUIRedmi NoteMi 4c300K Forum MembersMIUI 9Happy Diwali600K Forum MembersMIUI 50 Million UsersMIUI 2017MIUI 7th Anniversary1st AnniversaryMIUI Fan From PhilippinesMIUI 4th AnniversaryHappy Singles' DayMIUI 100 Million UsersHappy Valentine's Day500K Forum MembersMIUI Fan From SingaporeMIUI Fan From Indonesia2014 ChristmasFan Of MIUI IndiaAlpaca Mi Bunny Gamer Mi BunnyI Love Mi BunnySummer Mi BunnyOTA FeedbackAndroid GuruPioneer of MIUI English Forum MIUI FollowerMIUI Global Forum 2014Technology GuruMIUI FB FollowerDie-hard MIUI FanYouth PledgeUpdates LoverHumor Master

21:59, Jan-08-2015 | From PC
|

Good explanation bro....!!

MICROMAX A116 MIUI 5

Gold Member

Credits
Device
Redmi 1S
MIUI Version
Online time
40 Hours
Send PM

Mi BandMIUI 2015I Love MIUIAwesome!MIUI 4th AnniversaryThanksgiving Day2014 Christmas1 Million Forum MembersHappy New YearI Love Mi BunnyMIUI Global Forum 2014Debate MasterAndroid Guru

00:49, Jan-09-2015 | From PC
|
Nice article indeed, but counts on only theoretical best case.

Credits
Device
MIUI Version
Online time
6 Hours
Send PM

MIUI 9

01:23, Jan-09-2015 | From PC
|
Maybe it's my imagination, but I actually feel the performance of my phones deteriorating after flashing 2-3 ROMs... Specifically on phones which use the MTK Chipset.

Credits Management

Quick Reply Top Return to the list