My Brain... Trembles!!!

Credits
Device
Mi 5
MIUI Version
Online time
663 Hours
Send PM

Xiaomi 6 LaunchMi BoxMi In-Ear HeadphonesMi  BunnyMi BandMi KeyMIUI 7Awesome!I Love MIUIFlashholicMIUI 6Fantastic!MIUI 8MIUI 2015MIUI Devices Contest4 Million Forum MembersMi NoteMi 3Thanksgiving DayMIUI 2017MIUI Fan From Philippines3500K Forum MembersMIUI World Tour1900K Forum MembersMIUI Fan From SingaporeDiwali MIUI 9MIUI HalloweenMIUI Fan From IndonesiaHappy Singles' DayMIUI 4th Anniversary2014 Christmas1 Million Forum MembersMerry ChristmasMIUI Lucky FridayMIUI 6th AnniversaryMIUI Fan from TurkeyMIUI 300 WeeksMIUI Fan from MalaysiaRooster Year of 2017Fan MIUI Philippines300K Forum MembersSuper Monday1st AnniversaryMIUI 100 Million UsersHappy Valentine's DayI Love Mi BunnyGamer Mi BunnyAlpaca Mi Bunny MIUI ReviewMIUI FollowerMost Active MIUIerMIUI Android 4.4 KitKatMIUI Global Forum 2014Forum Contest LoverTechnology GuruAndroid GuruScroll Of WisdomMIUI FB FollowerHumor MasterUpdates LoverDie-hard MIUI FanYouth PledgeInbox ZeroStar Of Icons

[Tips & Tutorials] What the Tech?!! #5: Overflashing (Is it a thing, or just a Myth?)

[ Promote]
15876 169 |
13:22, Jan-08-2015 | From PC
|
|
Go to reply no.
This post was edited by Iyengar at 13:54, Jan-08-2015

Unfamiliar with What the Tech?!! Series? Well, check out the previous issues below:

What the TECH template.jpg

Hi Everyone!
Happy New Year! and I'm back with another Issue of What the Tech?!

I've always been a Flashaholic ever since I had my first android phone (LG P500) way back in 2011. I remember then that I was frequent checker of XDA forums for new ROMS, in every device that I've own through the years. I even flash twice or thrice a day, checking and testing every ROM out there for my device.

But it always made me wonder,
would I eventually damage my Phone if I frequently flash, wipe, and write ROMs and flashable zips? What the TECH?!

To attempt answering the question, we must first understand how flashing works.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

What is Flashing?

Flashing is the the process of over-writing existing data in your internal storage device with new data.

over ROM.jpg

In Android terms, Flashing mainly refers to the way we install ROMS and flashable ZIP tweaks, to our device through 2 ways:

a.) the Recovery, or b.) Fastboot
Learn more about them here:

As we know, our devices uses different types of storage, but it usually uses an internal storage device, called a flash memory storage, where the Android System is contained.

My MI 3 for example uses a 16GB Sandisk Multi-Layered Cell (MLC) NAND flash memory.

NAND-Flash-Memory-Products.jpg

As Wikipedia defines it:
Flash memory is an electronic non-volatile computer storage medium that can be electrically erased and reprogrammed.
The NAND type flash is primarily used in main memory, memory cards, USB flash drives, solid-state drives, and similar products, for general storage and transfer of data.
But, one significant disadvantage of flash memory is the finite amount of read/write cycles in a specific block.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
So now, the question is,
can the flash memory handle frequent, and excessive wipe and flash of ROM's and Fastboot?

Just like any other electronic device, a Flash memory has a lifespan, or "Memory Wear"

....(a) flash memory has a finite number of program-erase cycles (typically written as P/E cycles) per block. Most commercially available flash products are guaranteed to withstand around 10,000 P/E cycles (for MLC) per block before the wear begins to deteriorate the integrity of the storage...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Should I be worried about Flashing Frequently?

Honestly, No. Flashing wont be a problem.
Whether you're Flashing ROMs daily or just copying files to your devices, or simply downloading stuff to your flash memory, you are still using up the life-cycle of your flash memory.

While true, your device's flash memory will eventually fail in the future, but you've probably replaced your phone with a new one at that time. Besides, different Wear Leveling techniques are being used to prolong the life-span of your flash device,

With Wear-leveling, for example: My MI3 uses a 16GB Sandisk Multi-Layered Cell (MLC) NAND flash memory. MLC NANDs is generally rated with read/write endurance of 10,000 cycles. So, let's say I flash a ROM (usually 500MB) every 5 minutes, continually. That would amount to 57.6 GB per day. And the total number of days the drive will last before becoming unreliable is:

(Capacity of the Flash Memory x P/E Cycle Rating)/Total of Data transfer per day) = Theoretical Lifespan (in days)

So,

(16 GB x 10,000 P/E Cycle)/57.6 GB per day = 2778 days, which is about 7.6 years of continued flashing every 5 minutes, before my flash memory dies on me.
Flashing a ROM daily, it would take you 876 years before your flash memory dies.

con03_02.jpg wl.jpg

therefore, 10,000 P/E cycles is pretty much just a theoretical number.

I've probably flashed ROMS hundeds of times in my LG P500 I had in 2011, and it's still working just as it was.

In Conclusion:
Over-flashing will not damage your device (hardware-wise), but Memory Wear will, ..... over time.

But what do you guys think? Is there really a thing as Over-flashing? Participate in our debate below!

------------------------------------------

Sources:

Always remember: Don't be Ignorant! Be Smart, Be Informed!

Iakwbos, Signing off.

Expiration: 14:47, Jan-31-2015

Pro side Over-flashing is TRUE. It can really cause some damage to my phone.
Nickie6817:
Somehow, just stay on the safe side :| Don't overflash if not necessary.
pranavmarathe:
Now it's clear that there won't be much wear to the memory but my worr...
Mani56005:
gives better experience and taste of latest version of android
Bubash:
You can customize as much as you can
Bubash:
We use the device as per our wish
dipanjanforever:
nice explanation
mfl3:
Very informative. Thanks!
kausumi20:
overflashing for a long period can actually slowdown the device
paras739jain:
thanks for the detailed description about the matter
HoangTuBot:
IMHO: Internal storage (NAND flash memmory) are divided into differen...
HoangTuBot:
Internal storage are divided into different partition. And /system par...
Rizvi:
superb article !!!!
Trinadh554:
Nice research dude!! More or less it will effect the efficiency.. an...
Ainx666:
Ages of cycle of flash memory will be faster...
Rockybalbolina:
great explain
jenz1:
There's just some things that has to be accepted to be true by experie...
GR33dyBlackie:
{:4_101:}
GR33dyBlackie:
{:4_100:}
vikneshrajen:
good Explanation...
Friends786:
I do believe overflashing slows down your device
Neeraj19:
Thats Great, Thanks for the info
MasihCupu:
Very informative articles. Overflashing might damage your device but ...
blackomen:
"Over" done is not good. Once a while might be normal.
Raahul21:
Flashing depends upon the knowledge that how good you are at flashing ...
Mansehej:
Maybe it's my imagination, but I actually feel the performance of my p...
M1gen:
Nice article indeed, but counts on only theoretical best case.
rane1810:
Good explanation bro....!!
Aj989999403:
I flashed my s3 more than 200 times and its work like new phone…
grapox:
nice article
shub11:
i myself is frequent rom flasher but i always been afred that one day ...
Con side Overflashing is just a MYTH. It won\'t damage my phone.
PintuChief:
iakwbos replied at 2015-1-8 16:31 its probable that i'll be even dead befo...
incikweasel:
Great article
fai.fahmi:
i agreed with you... flashing wont damage phone
RejiT:
advance tech
arashpath:
It want affect your phone but damages your brain.. you become greedy.. try...
t4hmid:
Have been flashing phones since 2009. never had any bricks whatsoever
Acuk:
i think flashing ROMs its save {:4_125:} but worries is still there {:4_104...
j.epp:
I'll flash a new ROM today after reading this!
Owen_Choo:
I think overflashing will not really damage my phone...
singh_dd93:
Nah! Not in phone's Lifetime {:m003:}
azaan:
never had any issues with flashing.
MikeUI:
Just as the thread says it will really take a long time till the flash memo...
VikasTanwar:
Best to use phone @ it's best
mamat20131:
I always flash new rom every week {:6_222:}
PKUI:
I love Myths!!! {:m003:}
DaZ1994:
Obviously its a myth I've flashed my redmi 1S quite a lot and no visible da...
matrixbharath:
I just honestly flash crazy amounts
miphonemanager:
nice article
iakwbos:
HoangTuBot replied at 2015-1-10 23:57 IMHO: Internal storage (NAND flash ...
iakwbos:
HoangTuBot replied at 2015-1-10 23:57 IMHO: Internal storage (NAND flash ...
helloansuman:
Till now i dont think it has any negative effect. But yes i also sometimes ...
Dharani_V:
Its a Myth :P i flash once a day :p
LittleMadita:
It's a myth
g0ran:
Technology advances so fast that it doesn't matter.
brantass:
Just a MYTH.
nickarbine:
Nice explanation.
mtarun:
I don't think the mobile will last that long. Either we'll discard it after...
Aritra1911:
WOW, Awesome article, love your explanation.{:3_46:} So this is a myth (...
Doraha_Raman:
I always flash my phone It does not cause any problem unless you have a sig...
rohitbn31:
Great article bro ....

Favorite7 Share

Rated by 37 people   Experience Prestige Reason  

RejiT + 5 Fantastic!
Acuk + 2 Agreed!
kennyanthony8 + 8 Fantastic!
nickarbine + 5 Great!
Rizvi + 5 Fantastic!
Malathi + 5 Thanks for the explanation!!
rohitbn31 + 1 Great!
Schwaa + 1 Thanks!
Trinadh554 + 2 Fantastic!
nkou + 1 Fantastic!
ussmrg + 4 Great!
fluster84 + 1 Awesome!
Arturius79 + 1 Agreed!
Yrcik + 1 Thanks!
GR33dyBlackie + 5 Awesome!
gnozt90 + 1 Thanks!
Bhupender707 + 5 Its Fabulous !!
hansel0517 + 5 Fantastic!
Hemantnet + 4 Awesome!
shashankp1 + 8 Awesome!
West4Gunner + 5 Great!
freaksunit + 1 Agreed!
iamvamc + 5 useful
flamingrush2 + 5 Fantastic!
Atyant + 5 Awesome!
RickkYeZ95 + 10 Awesome!
fksgs2 + 3 If i would have more ratings to give.

Experience +162  Prestige +6  View Rating Log

Intern Moderator

My Brain... Trembles!!!

Credits
Device
Mi 5
MIUI Version
Online time
663 Hours
Send PM

Xiaomi 6 LaunchMi BoxMi In-Ear HeadphonesMi  BunnyMi BandMi KeyMIUI 7Awesome!I Love MIUIFlashholicMIUI 6Fantastic!MIUI 8MIUI 2015MIUI Devices Contest4 Million Forum MembersMi NoteMi 3Thanksgiving DayMIUI 2017MIUI Fan From Philippines3500K Forum MembersMIUI World Tour1900K Forum MembersMIUI Fan From SingaporeDiwali MIUI 9MIUI HalloweenMIUI Fan From IndonesiaHappy Singles' DayMIUI 4th Anniversary2014 Christmas1 Million Forum MembersMerry ChristmasMIUI Lucky FridayMIUI 6th AnniversaryMIUI Fan from TurkeyMIUI 300 WeeksMIUI Fan from MalaysiaRooster Year of 2017Fan MIUI Philippines300K Forum MembersSuper Monday1st AnniversaryMIUI 100 Million UsersHappy Valentine's DayI Love Mi BunnyGamer Mi BunnyAlpaca Mi Bunny MIUI ReviewMIUI FollowerMost Active MIUIerMIUI Android 4.4 KitKatMIUI Global Forum 2014Forum Contest LoverTechnology GuruAndroid GuruScroll Of WisdomMIUI FB FollowerHumor MasterUpdates LoverDie-hard MIUI FanYouth PledgeInbox ZeroStar Of Icons

Author| 16:31, Jan-08-2015 | From PC
|
its probable that i'll be even dead before i can even wear my flash memory.

Elite Member

Credits
Device
Mi 3
MIUI Version
Online time
354 Hours
Send PM

Mi KeyMi BoxMi In-Ear HeadphonesMi BandMi WiFi RouterMi Power BankMIUI 7Awesome!MIUI 2015FlashholicFantastic!MIUI 6I Love MIUIMi TVMi 3Mi NoteXiaomi Mi 42014 Christmas300K Forum MembersMerry ChristmasMIUI HalloweenMIUI 4th AnniversaryFan Of MIUI IndiaMIUI V5 Review700K Forum MembersMIUI Fan from India600K Forum MembersMIUI 100 Million UsersMIUI 5th AnniversaryAlpaca Mi Bunny I Love Mi BunnySummer Mi BunnyMIUI Beta TeamMIUI FollowerAndroid GuruPioneer of MIUI English Forum OTA FeedbackMIUI Global Forum 2014Scroll Of WisdomDebate MasterMIUI Medals CollectorMIUI G+ FollowerMi TalentForum Contest LoverAndroid ElfDie-hard MIUI FanStar Of IconsUpdates LoverYouth PledgeMost Active MIUIer

16:40, Jan-08-2015 | From PC
|
practically it is not going to bother more ,atleast for me

MIUI Designer Team

Googling

Credits
Device
Mi Note Pro
MIUI Version
V8.2.1.0.KHCMIDL
Online time
584 Hours
Send PM

Mi BandMi Band 2Mi KeyMi Power BankMi In-Ear HeadphonesXiaomi 6 LaunchXiaomi 7th AnniversaryFlashholicFantastic!MIUI 2016I Love MIUIMIUI 2015MIUI 8Awesome!MIUI 7MIUI 6MIUI Devices ContestMi TVRedmi 2Xiaomi Mi 4Redmi Note 2Mi 4cMi PadMi 4iMi Note ProRedmi 1SRedmi NoteMi NoteMIUI Fan from IndiaMIUI Fan From SingaporeHappy Valentine's DayMIUI 100 Million UsersMIUI Fan from TurkeyFan Of MIUI Bangladesh2014 ChristmasHappy Singles' DayThanksgiving DayMIUI Fan from MalaysiaMIUI Fan From PhilippinesMIUI Fan From IndonesiaFan Of MIUI IndiaMIUI Fan From Brazil500K Forum MembersMIUI 5th AnniversaryXiaomi 5th AnniversaryHilal Ramadan 300K Forum MembersMIUI V5 Review700K Forum MembersUEFA EURO MedalMIUI Fan From VietnamMIUI Fan From Myanmar1300K Forum Members1 Million Forum MembersMerry ChristmasHappy New YearPokemon Master MedalMIUI 300 WeeksFan Of MIUI RussiaMIUI 2017I Love 2016Fan Of MIUI PolandMid-Autumn FestivalMIUI Forum AppDiwali 5 Million Forum PostsMIUI Halloween900K Forum Members800K Forum MembersSummer Mi BunnyI Love Mi BunnyGamer Mi BunnyAlpaca Mi Bunny MiPopForum Contest LoverMIUI FB FollowerDie-hard MIUI FanMi TalentUpdates LoverMIUI Android 4.4 KitKatMIUI Twitter FollowerRedmi Quiz MasterScroll Of WisdomMIUI FollowerMIUI Medals CollectorOTA FeedbackYouth PledgeMost Active MIUIerWallpaper ExpertRingtone Star Ringtone TalentInbox ZeroAndroid GuruMIUI G+ FollowerAndroid ElfMIUI Resources TeamHumor MasterMi Lover MedalMi Bunny Game Master Pioneer of MIUI English Forum Debate MasterMIUI Global Forum 2014

16:48, Jan-08-2015 | Via mobile
|
prefer stock miui

Diamond Member

Loving MIUI

Credits
Device
Redmi 4
MIUI Version
V8.2.9.0.MAMMIEA
Online time
174 Hours
Send PM

Mi Power BankMi BandFantastic!MIUI 6MIUI 100 Million UsersFan Of MIUI India500K Forum MembersHilal Ramadan Alpaca Mi Bunny I Love Mi BunnyMIUI Global Forum 2014Android ElfMIUI FollowerDebate Master

16:56, Jan-08-2015 | From PC
|
This post was edited by volcano619 at 18:12, Jan-11-2015

Awesome...
Mod edit:-Language other than english..

Comment

vk41286 Please speak in English. This is a English speaking forum. Non-English is not allowed.  20:55, Jan-08-2015

Platinum Member

Credits
Device
Redmi 2
MIUI Version
V8.5.1.0.LHJMIED
Online time
188 Hours
Send PM

Mi BandAwesome!MIUI 2015MIUI 6Xiaomi Mi 4Mi TVRedmi 1SMi NoteRedmi NoteRedmi 3Mi Note ProRedmi 2MIUI 100 Million UsersMIUI Fan from MalaysiaFan Of  MIUI AzerbaijanFan Of MIUI India2014 ChristmasFan Of MIUI Bangladesh500K Forum MembersMIUI Fan From BrazilMIUI Fan from IndiaMIUI Fan From Singapore600K Forum MembersHilal Ramadan Thanksgiving DayXiaomi 5th AnniversaryGamer Mi BunnyI Love Mi BunnyMIUI Global Forum 2014MIUI FB FollowerAndroid ElfForum Contest LoverHumor Master

17:02, Jan-08-2015 | From PC
|
nice article
Better Late than NEVER
Share Your Knowledge, Not Show Your Knowledge

Diamond Member

Credits
Device
Mi 3
MIUI Version
Online time
213 Hours
Send PM

Mi BandI Love MIUIMIUI 7MIUI 6MIUI 2015Mi 3Mi Note ProRedmi NoteFan Of MIUI IndiaHappy Singles' Day2014 ChristmasMIUI 4th AnniversaryMIUI Fan From BrazilMIUI Fan From IndonesiaMIUI 100 Million UsersAndroid GuruMIUI Android 4.4 KitKatAndroid ElfMIUI Global Forum 2014

17:23, Jan-08-2015 | From PC
|
nyc one to share..

MIUI Honorary Moderator

Credits
Device
Redmi Note 3
MIUI Version
Online time
498 Hours
Send PM

Mi BandMi BoxMi In-Ear HeadphonesMi KeyFlashholicAwesome!MIUI 7I Love MIUIMIUI 6MIUI 2016MIUI 2015Fantastic!Redmi 1SXiaomi Mi 4RedmiMi TVMi PadRedmi NoteMi 3Mi Note ProMi NoteMi 4cMi 4iRedmi Note 2Redmi 2500K Forum Members800K Forum MembersMIUI Fan from IndiaHilal Ramadan Xiaomi 5th AnniversaryMIUI Fan From Philippines1st Anniversary600K Forum MembersFan Of MIUI IndiaMIUI 50 Million Users900K Forum MembersMerry Christmas1 Million Forum MembersMIUI Fan from TurkeyMIUI Fan From IndonesiaFan of MIUI MyanmarMIUI Fan From SingaporeMIUI Fan From BrazilMIUI 4th AnniversaryHappy Valentine's DayMIUI 100 Million UsersThanksgiving DayHappy Singles' DayMIUI Halloween300K Forum MembersDiwali 2014 ChristmasFan Of  MIUI AzerbaijanFan Of MIUI BangladeshAtaturk Mourning700K Forum MembersHappy DiwaliHappy New YearGamer Mi BunnyMiPopI Love Mi BunnyAlpaca Mi Bunny MIUI Beta TeamMIUI Beta team - IndiaMIUI Beta Team VIPInbox ZeroYouth PledgeAndroid ElfMIUI Medals CollectorUpdates LoverScroll Of WisdomForum Contest LoverDebate MasterDie-hard MIUI FanMIUI FollowerPioneer of MIUI English Forum Humor MasterMIUI Twitter FollowerMIUI FB FollowerStar Bug FinderMost Active MIUIerMIUI Android 4.4 KitKatStar Of IconsMi TalentMIUI Global Forum 2014MIUI G+ FollowerRedmi Note 3 ExplorerAndroid Guru

18:01, Jan-08-2015 | From PC
|
As far as your calculation, i dont think anyone is gonna live that much years and see his flash memory deteriorate

Thanks for the wonderful article~

Supreme Member

Credits
Device
Redmi Note 3
MIUI Version
Online time
763 Hours
Send PM

Mi In-Ear HeadphonesMi WiFi RouterMi Power BankMi BandMIUI 7MIUI 6I Love MIUIMIUI 2015MIUI 2016FlashholicFantastic!Awesome!MIUI 8Mi 4cMi 3Redmi 2Mi PadMi 4iMi NoteRedmi Note 2Xiaomi Mi 4Mi Note ProHappy Valentine's DayFan Of  MIUI AzerbaijanUEFA EURO Medal1400K Forum MembersMIUI 100 Million UsersHilal Ramadan MIUI Fan From PhilippinesHappy New YearXiaomi 5th Anniversary500K Forum MembersMIUI Fan from MalaysiaMIUI Fan From Brazil600K Forum MembersFan Of MIUI BangladeshMIUI Fan From Singapore700K Forum Members1500K Forum Members900K Forum Members300K Forum MembersMIUI HalloweenThanksgiving Day1st Anniversary1 Million Forum MembersFan of MIUI MyanmarMerry Christmas1300K Forum Members2014 ChristmasMIUI 6th AnniversaryMIUI 5th AnniversaryMIUI Fan from India800K Forum Members5 Million Forum PostsFan Of MIUI IndiaMIUI 4th AnniversaryGamer Mi BunnyI Love Mi BunnyAlpaca Mi Bunny Summer Mi BunnyMIUI Resources TeamDie-hard MIUI FanUpdates LoverMi Bunny Game Master Mi TalentMi Lover MedalYouth PledgeInbox ZeroHumor MasterRingtone Star MIUI Global Forum 2014MIUI G+ FollowerAndroid ElfMIUI Twitter FollowerMIUI FollowerMIUI Android 4.4 KitKatMIUI FB FollowerOTA FeedbackAndroid GuruDebate MasterMIUI Medals CollectorStar Of IconsTechnology GuruScroll Of WisdomForum Contest Lover

18:02, Jan-08-2015 | From PC
|
Good explanation bro....!!
Life Challenge's you, Challenge it Back ....!!

Elite Member

Credits
Device
Mi 3
MIUI Version
V8.2.5.0.MCFMIDL
Online time
506 Hours
Send PM

Mi BandMi Power BankMi WiFi RouterI Love MIUIMIUI 2015MIUI 7Awesome!MIUI 2016Fantastic!Mi 3Xiaomi Mi 4Mi TVRedmiMi 4iMi NoteRedmi Note 2300K Forum Members1500K Forum MembersFan Of MIUI IndiaDiwali MIUI 4th Anniversary500K Forum MembersMIUI Fan From Singapore800K Forum MembersThanksgiving Day1 Million Forum MembersMIUI 6th AnniversaryHilal Ramadan MIUI 5th AnniversaryMIUI Fan from India1st Anniversary600K Forum MembersXiaomi 5th AnniversarySummer Mi BunnyI Love Mi BunnyGamer Mi BunnyAlpaca Mi Bunny MIUI Medals CollectorMost Active MIUIerAndroid GuruHumor MasterAndroid ElfMIUI FB FollowerForum Contest LoverScroll Of WisdomMi TalentMIUI Global Forum 2014MIUI FollowerUpdates LoverDie-hard MIUI FanMIUI Android 4.4 KitKatOTA FeedbackStar Of Icons

18:16, Jan-08-2015 | From PC
|
Nicely Written................!!

Credits Management

Quick Reply Top Return to the list