Platinum Member

Credits
Device
Redmi
Online time
47 Hours
Send PM

Awesome!I Love MIUIMi 1Redmi NoteMIUI 50 Million UsersSingapore BirthdayMIUI Fan From SingaporeI Love Mi BunnyMIUI News TeamAndroid GuruMIUI FollowerPioneer of MIUI English Forum

[Interview] [EXCLUSIVE] MIUI Interview with Customized ROM guru 秋叶随风ivan

[ Promote]
31177 165 |
03:41, Sep-28-2014 | From PC
|
|
Go to reply no.
100915khuiyiza7jq7w4ho.jpg

Ivan, or more popularly known as 秋叶随风, is a super fan / guru that has help beloved MIUI fans around the world by developing customised ROMs. When the MIUI news team first broke news about the upcoming interview with Ivan, our ever enthusiastic fans responded with over 100+ burning questions for dear Ivan in our fan poll!

Despite churning out amazing works that are used by MIUI fans all around the globe, Ivan keeps a surprisingly low profile, and trying to befriend him on QQ is no easy feat; His one and only friend request question requires you to know his boss’s phone number before you can gain acceptance as his friend!

Of course, the MIUI news team spares no efforts in reaching out to Ivan for the ever curious MIUI fans, and here’s the much-awaited interview with some of the interesting fan questions, complete with a real snapshot of what Ivan looks like!

Question 1 : Tell us 4 interesting facts about yourself!

• I’m actually a staff of Xiaomi and a big loyal fan of MIUI!
  • Nobody calls me by my real name at work - Instead, everyone prefers to call me by my nickname, “秋大”
  • I used to be a developer for iOS and webkit, the open source web browser engine that's used by Safari, Dashboard, Mail, and many other OS X applications
  • I’m a novice in swimming, having just picked up the skill last year; To be honest, my swimming can’t even rival that of the kids that I see in the pool!

Question 2: What do you actually do in Xiaomi and how long have you been working there?

I started working for Xiaomi last year and is currently involved in Linux server and configuration management and technical support.  My main duty is to ensure that my fellow colleagues can work or laze happily! Occasionally, I dabble in MIUI system upgrades, memory optimization, stable ROMs upgrades as well as updating the Android version to allow my colleagues to test out Google’s latest features.

Question 3: How did you learn to customise ROMs and can you teach other aspiring fans how to go about doing it too and what is required to get started?

When I first came into contact with Android phones, the phone manufacturers integrated the phones with too much bloatware that made the user experience abysmal. Hence i decided to try my hand at customising the ROM by myself, purely out of interest! I am actually self-taught, and personally i think this is one area that is very difficult to teach.

For aspiring fans that would like to go down this path to customise their own ROM, my advice would be to first familiarise yourself with Java, C, C++ and Linux, as well as shell kernel script writing. A good way to get started is to follow what others have done in customising the ROM, by basing it on their git log to understand the logic behind the tweaking. Of course, the prerequisites are that you have plenty of time, and a relatively good computer with fast internet speed.

Question 4: What features are you planning to add to your latest customised ROM?

It may surprise you, but i do not like adding new functionalities. If you want to, you don’t have to do it yourself, but use the ready solutions out there like CyanogenMod, Paranoid Android, AOKP, etc.

Question 5: What device are you using now and why?

I am currently using two phones; an iPhone 5, and Mi2. I love my Mi2 primarily because i find the size perfect, and the hardware is not outdated, and best of all, i can customise it everyday! :)

Question 6: How long does it take for you to work on each ROM?

From conceptualisation till its actual run takes around 1 week, but it could take 1 to 2 months to correct for all the bugs and stabilise the system. If i am lucky, I could update and release a more stable version in 1 - 2 weeks.

Question 7: Do you actually earn anything from doing this?

I pursue and customise ROMs out of my pure personal interest and passion to share what I love with fellow MIUI fans, and I do not earn a single cent out of this. Of course, more money is always good, but personally my opinion is that if one were to pursue this out of monetary interest, it would defeat the purpose of doing this in the first place.

give-that-man-a-medal.jpg

Question 8: What was the first ROM you made and what was the motivation behind it?

I first customised the ROM for my Huawei C8500/U8150. Back then, the phones is packed with more customised softwares. I had the idea of customising it for my phone for a very simple reason; the touch points for the phone weren’t many at the point in time, and i decided to tweak the kernel source to add two more touch points and that’s how I got started! After that, I got hooked on customising and the rest is history.

***** TOP FAN QUESTION *****
(from @ej8989 -> We see you have great potential as paparazzi! Care to join the MIUI News Team? :))))

Question 9: Are you dating someone within the MIUI community?

My interactions with fellow colleagues hardly extend beyond our professional working relationship, and the majority of the fans are guys! No girl would want to date a code geek anyway, so… to put it simply, no.

Editor’s note: AWWWw… Any takers or fan girls interested to speak with Ivan, please drop us a PM >> We know the 'cheat code' (his 'Boss phone number' :P ) to get pass his QQ friend request and can connect you to him!

And of course, here's a glimpse of the man
behind the many amazing works that
he created
to share with fellow MIUI fans around the world!  :)

ivan.png

To know more about him:
Recommended MIUI Interview:

Favorite12 Share

Rated by 69 people   Experience Prestige Reason  

igor73 + 1 Awesome!
binbinio + 4 Great!
wdBleysTM + 1 Great!
aremantm + 1 Awesome!
Wolfi70 + 1 Great!
kb7ydv + 1 Agreed!
tushar.hasan + 1 Awesome!
LuckyMeAgain + 10 + 1 great! well written
Ashtroid666 + 2 Awesome!
GR33dyBlackie + 10 + 5 Fantastic!
1nfir + 1 Awesome!
Be6i4 + 2 Awesome!
The8curtains + 1 Thanks!
satyajit_ghana + 5 Awesome!
Rob_Stark + 1 Awesome!
arunskarthick + 5 Great!
Bunny552 + 5 Thanks!
Roussinov + 4 Great!
edypurwanto + 1 Fantastic!
shilualam + 2 Fantastic!
shashankp1 + 5 Awesome!
subham55 + 2 Awesome!
sukest + 4 Great!
vmrr8395 + 1 Thx
freesofia + 5 Great!
geno.thomas + 5 Great!
DazzlingDenz + 5 Awesome!

Experience +206  Prestige +9  View Rating Log

Diamond Member

Gesù è la ragione di vita

Credits
Device
Mi 3
Online time
83 Hours
Send PM

Mi KeyMi BoxMi In-Ear HeadphonesI Love MIUIFlashholicMIUI 6MIUI 2015Awesome!Redmi NoteMi 3MIUI 50 Million Users300K Forum MembersMIUI 4th AnniversaryDiwali MIUI Fan from TurkeyThanksgiving DayFan MIUI PhilippinesMIUI Fan From IndonesiaSummer Mi BunnyGamer Mi BunnyI Love Mi BunnyMIUI Beta TeamStar Of TechnologyOTA FeedbackMIUI FollowerInbox ZeroUpdates LoverPioneer of MIUI English Forum MIUI Global Forum 2014Android GuruDie-hard MIUI FanHumor Master

12:46, Sep-29-2014 | From PC
|
Nice interview! "No girl would want to date a code geek anyway.." < I disagree!

Rated by 1 person   Experience Reason  

Christine_MI + 5 LOL~!

Experience +5  View Rating Log

Diamond Member

Credits
Device
POCO F1
Online time
133 Hours
Send PM

Mi BandMIUI 2015FlashholicI Love MIUIAwesome!Fantastic!MIUI 6Mi 3Mi 1Mi 2Redmi NoteMIUI V5 ReviewMIUI Fan From PhilippinesMIUI Fan From SingaporeHappy Valentine's DayMIUI 4th AnniversarySingapore BirthdayHilal Ramadan 700K Forum MembersXiaomi 5th Anniversary300K Forum MembersMIUI 50 Million UsersFan Of MIUI Ex-Yu I Love Mi BunnyAlpaca Mi Bunny Summer Mi BunnyMIUI Beta TeamPOCO F1MIUI FollowerMi TalentMIUI Android 4.4 KitKatDie-hard MIUI FanForum Contest LoverMost Active MIUIerUpdates LoverAndroid GuruOTA Feedback

12:23, Sep-28-2014 | From PC
|
Ok girls. Go get him.

Christine_MI + 5 Agreed!HAHA! :P

Retired Administrator

Credits
Device
Mi 4S
Online time
1660 Hours
Send PM

Mi BandMi Power BankMi MIXMIUI 2015Fantastic!MIUI 6MIUI 7Redmi NoteMi 4iMi PadRedmi 2Mi 2MIUI Fan From PhilippinesMIUI Fan from MalaysiaMIUI Fan From SingaporeMIUI 4th AnniversaryDiwali Singapore BirthdayMIUI Fan from IndiaThanksgiving DayHappy Valentine's Day500K Forum MembersMIUI Fan From IndonesiaFan Of MIUI IndiaGamer Mi BunnyMIUI News TeamYouth PledgeForum Contest LoverMIUI G+ FollowerMIUI Ice Bucket Challenge

10:17, Sep-28-2014 | From PC
|
A very good chance to know more about him. Awesome!

Elite Member

Credits
Device
Mi 3
Online time
320 Hours
Send PM

Mi KeyMi BandMi In-Ear HeadphonesMi BoxFantastic!MIUI 2016Awesome!MIUI 2015MIUI 6I Love MIUIFlashholicMi 3Mi TVRedmiRedmi 1SRedmi NoteFan Of MIUI IndiaThanksgiving DayMIUI Fan From Indonesia1st AnniversaryMIUI Fan From SingaporeMIUI Fan From PhilippinesMIUI Fan from IndiaMIUI 4th AnniversaryDiwali MIUI 50 Million UsersMIUI Fan from MalaysiaAtaturk MourningHappy DiwaliFan Of MIUI Ex-Yu Happy Singles' DayFan Of  MIUI Azerbaijan2014 ChristmasFan Of MIUI Bangladesh300K Forum MembersHappy Valentine's DayMIUI Fan from TurkeyGamer Mi BunnyMiPopI Love Mi BunnySummer Mi BunnyAlpaca Mi Bunny MIUI News TeamInbox ZeroYouth PledgeMi Bunny Game Master Star MIUI News Team MemberPioneer of MIUI English Forum Android ElfAndroid GuruUpdates LoverStar Of IconsMIUI FB FollowerForum Contest LoverHumor MasterMIUI FollowerRedmi Quiz MasterMIUI Android 4.4 KitKatOTA FeedbackDie-hard MIUI FanMIUI Global Forum 2014

10:38, Sep-28-2014 | From PC
|
Excellent interview!!...thanks!

Supreme Member

Credits
Device
Mi 3
Online time
673 Hours
Send PM

Mi KeyMi Power StripMi Power BankMi BandMi In-Ear HeadphonesMi  BunnyMi BoxXiaomi 7th AnniversaryMIUI Devices ContestAwesome!MIUI 2015I Love MIUIMIUI 6MIUI 7FlashholicFantastic!MarshmallowRedmi 2Xiaomi Mi 4Mi TVRedmi NoteRedmi 1SMi 4iMi NoteMi 3Redmi Note 2Mi PadMi 4cHilal Ramadan Fan Of MIUI Ex-Yu MIUI 4th AnniversaryAtaturk Mourning1st AnniversaryMIUI Fan from TurkeyMIUI 50 Million UsersMIUI Fan From IndonesiaHappy Singles' DayThanksgiving DaySingapore Birthday2014 ChristmasMIUI Fan from IndiaDiwali 300K Forum MembersHappy Diwali500K Forum Members1400K Forum MembersMIUI World TourMid-Autumn Festival1 Million Forum Members800K Forum MembersMIUI Forum AppPokemon Master Medal3500K Forum MembersSuper TuesdayFan Of MIUI RussiaFan Of MIUI BangladeshI Love 2016MIUI Fan From PhilippinesMIUI Fan From SingaporeXiaomi 5th AnniversaryMIUI Fan From BrazilFan Of MIUI IndiaHappy New YearMIUI 100 Million UsersMIUI 5th AnniversaryMalaysia AnniversaryMIUI Fan from Malaysia700K Forum MembersMIUI V5 Review600K Forum MembersHappy Valentine's DayI Love Mi BunnyAlpaca Mi Bunny Summer Mi BunnyGamer Mi BunnyMiPopOTA FeedbackAndroid ElfApp Review TalentMIUI Android 4.4 KitKatMIUI Medals CollectorMIUI FollowerSuper ModeratorAndroid GuruMi Lover MedalMi TalentScroll Of WisdomMIUI Twitter FollowerDebate MasterMi Bunny Game Master MIUI Global Forum 2014Youth PledgeHumor MasterUpdates LoverMost Active MIUIerDie-hard MIUI FanApp StarInbox ZeroMIUI FB FollowerIndonesia Independence DayForum Contest LoverMIUI Resources TeamStar Of IconsPioneer of MIUI English Forum

10:46, Sep-28-2014 | From PC
|
amazing, very nice interview

Diamond Member

Credits
Device
Mi Note 3
Online time
39 Hours
Send PM

Mi In-Ear HeadphonesMi BandAwesome!Fantastic!FlashholicMIUI 6MIUI 2015I Love MIUIRedmi Note 21st AnniversaryMIUI 4th AnniversaryMIUI 50 Million Users300K Forum MembersDiwali Thanksgiving DayHappy Singles' DayI Love Mi BunnySummer Mi BunnyAlpaca Mi Bunny MIUI Beta TeamMIUI Global Forum 2014Android GuruAndroid ElfHumor MasterPioneer of MIUI English Forum Most Active MIUIerForum Contest LoverOTA FeedbackStar Of IconsMIUI FollowerUpdates LoverDie-hard MIUI FanMIUI FB Follower

10:51, Sep-28-2014 | From PC
|
Good one.

Gold Member

Credits
Device
Redmi Note 4 Qualcomm
Online time
31 Hours
Send PM

I Love MIUIFlashholicAwesome!MIUI 7300K Forum MembersHappy Singles' DayMIUI Forum AppMIUI 50 Million UsersI Love Mi BunnyTechnology GuruDie-hard MIUI FanUpdates LoverAndroid Elf

10:59, Sep-28-2014 | From PC
|
that Awesome guy

Platinum Member

Credits
Device
Redmi Note 3
Online time
247 Hours
Send PM

Mi Power BankMi KeyMi BandUnlock MedalAwesome!MIUI 6MIUI 2016I Love MIUIMi 3MIUI Fan from MalaysiaHilal Ramadan Fan Of MIUI Ex-Yu MIUI Fan From SingaporeMIUI Fan from IndiaMIUI V5 ReviewMIUI Fan From PhilippinesMIUI 4th Anniversary500K Forum MembersHappy Valentine's Day300K Forum Members2014 ChristmasSingapore BirthdayFan Of MIUI IndiaI Love Mi BunnyAlpaca Mi Bunny Summer Mi BunnyForum Contest LoverMIUI FollowerAndroid GuruMIUI Medals CollectorOTA FeedbackDie-hard MIUI Fan

11:01, Sep-28-2014 | From PC
|
awesome interview! hope to see more work from ivan!

Administrator

Flashing

Credits
Device
Mi 5X
Online time
6189 Hours
Send PM

Mi MIXMi HomeAwesome!I Love MIUIMIUI 2016Fantastic!MIUI Devices ContestMi TVMIUI 50 Million UsersThanksgiving DayDiwali MIUI 20 Million UsersMIUI V5 ReviewMIUI 3rd Anniversary2014 ChristmasMIUI Fan From SingaporeFan Of MIUI RussiaMIUI 4th Anniversary1800K Forum MembersSuper SundayMIUI Fan From Nepal90000 Forum MembersMIUI Fan from TurkeyMIUI Forum AppI Love Mi Bunny2017 Annual AwardsMIUI Android 4.4 KitKatOTA FeedbackPioneer of MIUI English Forum Die-hard MIUI Fan

11:04, Sep-28-2014 | From PC
|
Well done! Thank you!

Supreme Member

Bugs and Beta Mod

Credits
Device
Redmi Note 3
Online time
1160 Hours
Send PM

MIUI 2015MIUI 7Redmi 3Mi 3Redmi 2Fan Of MIUI IndiaMIUI Fan from MalaysiaFan Of MIUI BangladeshMIUI Fan from IndiaDiwali Merry ChristmasFan of MIUI MyanmarMIUI Beta TeamMIUI Device TeamClass A Beta TeamMIUI Beta Team VIPMIUI Weekly Devices QuizStar Bug FinderSuper ModeratorRedmi Note 3 ExplorerDie-hard MIUI FanMIUI Twitter FollowerSenior Beta TesterMIUI FB Follower

12:02, Sep-28-2014 | From PC
|
Nice work from Ivan...!!

Platinum Member

@root

Credits
Device
Redmi Note 3
Online time
273 Hours
Send PM

Mi BandMi BoxMi KeyMi WiFi RouterI Love MIUIMIUI 2015MIUI 6MIUI 2016Fantastic!Awesome!MIUI 7FlashholicRedmiMi 1Mi TVMi PadRedmi 1SRedmi NoteMi 3Mi 2Mi 4iMi NoteDiwali MIUI Fan From IndonesiaMIUI Fan from IndiaAtaturk MourningMIUI Fan From SingaporeHappy Diwali300K Forum Members1st AnniversaryFan Of MIUI Ex-Yu MIUI Fan From PhilippinesMIUI Fan from MalaysiaMIUI 50 Million UsersMIUI 4th AnniversaryHappy Singles' Day2014 ChristmasMIUI Fan From Brazil600K Forum MembersFan Of MIUI IndiaFan Of MIUI BangladeshFan Of  MIUI AzerbaijanMIUI 100 Million UsersXiaomi 5th AnniversaryHilal Ramadan MIUI Fan from TurkeyXiaomi 6th AnniversaryMid-Autumn FestivalMIUI Forum AppThanksgiving DayMerry ChristmasI Love Mi BunnyAlpaca Mi Bunny Gamer Mi BunnySummer Mi BunnyMIUI Beta TeamAndroid GuruScroll Of WisdomHumor MasterMi TalentAndroid ElfForum Contest LoverMIUI FB FollowerInbox ZeroMIUI Android 4.4 KitKatDebate MasterUpdates LoverMost Active MIUIerYouth PledgeOTA FeedbackDie-hard MIUI FanStar Of IconsMIUI FollowerMIUI Global Forum 2014Mi Bunny Game Master

12:10, Sep-28-2014 | From PC
|
awsome

Christine_MI + 5 Thanks!

Credits Management

Quick Reply Top Return to the list