Platinum Member

Credits
Device
Redmi
Online time
47 Hours
Send PM

Awesome!I Love MIUIMi 1Redmi NoteMIUI 50 Million UsersSingapore BirthdayMIUI Fan From SingaporeI Love Mi BunnyMIUI News TeamAndroid GuruMIUI FollowerPioneer of MIUI English Forum

[Interview] [EXCLUSIVE] Interview with Anya Shkurko, Xiaomi Summer Intern

[ Promote]
11395 91 |
01:03, Jul-26-2014 | From PC
|
|
Go to reply no.
Some of us lucky Mi Fans had the opportunity to catch up with beautiful Anya, the latest addition to the dynamic Xiaomi Singapore team over a cozy Mi fans meetup for "An Evening with (Redmi) Note" recently. Anya flew half-way across the world for a much coveted opportunity to work with Xiaomi Singapore as part of her summer internship. The MIUI news team is proud and excited (as usual!) to introduce to you, Anya Shkurko, her thoughts on what it's like to work in Xiaomi, & how Hugo convinced her to travel such a long journey (from Stanford, US) for her internship in Singapore!

Q: Who is Anya?

My name is Anya Shkurko, I am an intern at Xiaomi Singapore this summer. I was born and grew up in Minsk, Belarus, where I got my Bachelors degree in international relations and East Asian studies. During university I spent one year in Dalian, China as a Chinese language student. Now I’m getting my Master’s in East Asian studies at Stanford University. I’m very interested in technology and innovation, and I’m learning so much from Xiaomi - one of the most innovative companies in Asia. In my free time I enjoy travelling, jogging and learning foreign languages. So far, with Russian and Belarusian as native languages, I can speak English, Mandarin and a little German. My next goal is to master Italian

Q: Why do you want to work for Xiaomi?

I read about Xiaomi in different tech blogs, and became really interested in the company after Hugo came to Stanford for the China 2.0 conference and gave a talk about Xiaomi. China 2.0 is an annual forum that takes place at Stanford and Beida, which aims to bring together entrepreneurs, executives and thought leaders from China and Silicon Valley to discuss innovation and entrepreneurship in China. Founders and CEOs of the most successful Chinese companies, such as Tencent, SINA, Renren, Baidu, Youku, Alibaba were keynote speakers at this conference during past years.

I found Hugo’s talk about Xiaomi very interesting and inspiring. He also stayed for a long Q&A with students and discussed company’s international growth. That’s when I realized that I wanted to be part of this and contribute to the global success of Xiaomi.

Q: How do you find the functionality of Xiaomi phones compared to other smartphones? (e.g. iPhone, Samsung, etc)

I like my Redmi a lot! I can’t believe that one can have all this functionality for such a low price! I had an iPhone 4s and a Moto X before, and I should say that it was very easy for me to switch to MIUI and enjoy all the customization and other functions that Xiaomi offers. I also like how it holds the battery for a long time and I don’t have to worry about having a charger with me all the time.

Q: You flew all the way from US to SG to help out at Xiaomi! Tell us more about what you set out to achieve here?

It is my first time in Singapore, and I fell in love with the country on my day one. I was very impressed by how beautiful and clean the city is and how nice people are. And of course local food is delicious! For my internship I’ll spend 10 weeks in Singapore and 2 weeks in Beijing. I’m also planning to travel a little in Malaysia during the weekends.

As for my job, I’m working on some very interesting projects connected to Xiaomi’s presence in Southeast Asia and I look forward to seeing the results of my work at the end of the summer.

Q: What’s a typical day of work for you at Xiaomi?

Hmm, there is no a typical day of work, every day is unique (at Xiaomi).

But usually I come to the office between 9 and 10 in the morning, check emails, and start working on my projects. They all require a lot of research, so I spend a lot of time reading, interviewing people and trying to find and organize all information. Then on some days I have meetings (online and in person) with other colleagues from Xiaomi and our partners, where we usually discuss our projects. I finish work at around 8 pm, have dinner at Lau Pa Sat and walk home enjoying beautiful views of Singapore Marina Bay.

The work culture at Xiaomi Singapore is very open and friendly. We have a small team here, so it feels like working in a startup, even though there are about 5,000 people in our Beijing office. Xiaomi global team did a great job recruiting the best talent from all over the world, and this makes our teamwork very efficient. Whenever I have a question, there is always someone to help me out, and I really appreciate this support from my colleagues. We also enjoy fun activities, like going out to eat chili crab for lunch or organizing fan meet ups. And of course we are all Mi Fans, so we love reading MIUI forum and talking to other Fans.

"If you have a chance, I would definitely recommend everybody to apply to work at Xiaomi!" - Anya

>>> (Sure, tell us where to sign up and we will! Haha!)

And of course, a photo of Anya (*Gorgeous Alert*) to conclude the post about the amazing talents that Xiaomi have.

anya.jpg

Other Exciting MIUI Interviews

Favorite5 Share

Rated by 50 people   Experience Reason  

igor73 + 1 Fantastic!
andar0606 + 1 Awesome!
dannysam + 5 Awesome!
RickkYeZ95 + 5 Awesome!
loselegend + 5 Fantastic!
Courage75 + 1 Fantastic!
kanaka0907 + 1 Fantastic!
priyo + 1 Awesome!
abhiyoyo + 1 Fantastic!
Drivenmeandrous + 1 Awesome!
benjo_ben + 1 Awesome!
cybercool + 1 Awesome!
nattanarcilla + 1 Fantastic!
JorDANcer + 1 Fantastic!
Drew63 + 1 Awesome!
xP4th + 1 Awesome!
MishFdM + 5 Great!
Xmiuser + 1 Fantastic!
Heimdal + 1 Awesome!
Zonal + 5 Awesome!
115212260 + 2 Fantastic!
Sh0w_TiM3 + 1 Fantastic!
jyike + 1 Awesome!
xg3niusx + 1 Great!
9056223 + 1 Fantastic!
Wavezz + 2 Awesome!
X-Venom + 5 Fantastic!

Experience +141  View Rating Log

Elite Member

Credits
Device
Redmi 3 Prime
Online time
503 Hours
Send PM

Mi WiFi RouterMi BandMi Power BankMi BoxMi KeyMi In-Ear HeadphonesFantastic!I Love MIUIMIUI 7MIUI 2015MIUI 6FlashholicAwesome!Mi 4iMi 3Redmi 2RedmiMi TVXiaomi Mi 4Redmi 3Redmi Note 2MIUI 4th AnniversaryXiaomi 6th AnniversarySingapore BirthdayHappy Singles' DayThanksgiving DayMIUI Forum AppUEFA EURO MedalHappy Diwali1800K Forum MembersFan Of MIUI IndiaMIUI 50 Million UsersDiwali MIUI 5th Anniversary300K Forum Members1st AnniversaryI Love 2016Merry Christmas600K Forum MembersMIUI Fan From PhilippinesMIUI Fan from IndiaMIUI V5 ReviewHilal Ramadan MIUI Fan From BrazilXiaomi 5th Anniversary700K Forum Members800K Forum Members2014 ChristmasMIUI 100 Million Users1 Million Forum MembersAlpaca Mi Bunny Summer Mi BunnyI Love Mi BunnyGamer Mi BunnyMIUI Beta TeamMIUI News TeamOTA FeedbackHumor MasterPioneer of MIUI English Forum Android GuruMIUI Medals CollectorMIUI FollowerForum Contest LoverDebate MasterMIUI Twitter FollowerMIUI FB FollowerScroll Of WisdomMIUI G+ FollowerMi Lover MedalStar MIUI News Team MemberMi TalentMost Active MIUIerMIUI Global Forum 2014Star Of IconsApp Review StarDie-hard MIUI FanMIUI Android 4.4 KitKatUpdates LoverYouth PledgeInbox Zero

16:45, Jul-26-2014 | From PC
|
Nice interview.

and what i have noticed is many people (especially mods) from Xiaomi prefer  RedMi over Mi3. Why so? Is it like the most stable device made by Xiaomi, like Microsoft made XP.

Comment

helloansuman lol Windows 7 is more stable than XP :)  17:06, Jul-26-2014
Life is a FLAC file, so don't downgrade it to a 128 kbps MP3.

Supreme Member

www.lucrativephotography.com

Credits
Device
Mi 6
Online time
2929 Hours
Send PM

Mi KeyMi Portable WiFiMi BoxMi BandMi In-Ear HeadphonesMi Power BankMi Power Bank 10000MAH Xiaomi 7th AnniversaryFantastic!MIUI 2015FlashholicI Love MIUIMIUI 6Awesome!MIUI 8Mi TVRedmiRedmi 1SMi 3Redmi NoteXiaomi Mi 4Mi 5MIUI 50 Million Users1400K Forum MembersMIUI Fan From Singapore1700K Forum MembersMIUI Fan from MalaysiaMIUI V5 ReviewMIUI 30 Million Users100k Forum MembersMIUI English Forum 2013MIUI Fan From IndonesiaFan Of MIUI India1st AnniversaryMi Live MedalFan Of MIUI Ex-Yu 300K Forum MembersMIUI Fan From PhilippinesMid-Autumn FestivalHilal Ramadan MIUI Fan from IndiaSingapore BirthdayMIUI Fan from TurkeyFan Of MIUI BangladeshFan Of  MIUI AzerbaijanMIUI 4th AnniversaryHappy Valentine's DayThanksgiving DayOlympics MedalAtaturk MourningMIUI 300 WeeksPokemon Master MedalDiwali MIUI 100 Million UsersHappy DiwaliHappy Singles' DaySummer Mi BunnyGamer Mi BunnyAlpaca Mi Bunny I Love Mi BunnyMIUI Porting TeamMIUI Device TeamMIUI Android 4.4 KitKatAndroid GuruMost Active MIUIerMIUI Ice Bucket ChallengeForum Contest LoverMIUI FB FollowerInbox ZeroYouth PledgeDie-hard MIUI FanOTA FeedbackMIUI Global Forum 2014Most Productive Porting DeveloperRedmi Note 3 ExplorerMi Lover MedalAndroid ElfSuper MIUI ThemeMost Popular Porting DeveloperMIUI Medals CollectorRingtone Star Technology GuruMaster Of TechnologyStar Of IconsMIUI ExpertListed in Official Download PageStar Of TechnologyMIUI Community VIPRecognized MIUI Porting DevPioneer of MIUI English Forum Humor MasterUpdates LoverMIUI Follower

17:06, Jul-26-2014 | From PC
|
lovely lady and opportunity :). Any link for applying job??

Comment

Nysho Can i apply too? hahaha  11:18, Jul-27-2014

Rated by 1 person   Experience Reason  

Christine_MI + 5 Agreed! :P

Experience +5  View Rating Log

Gold Member

Credits
Device
Mi 4
Online time
109 Hours
Send PM

Awesome!I Love MIUIMIUI Fan from India500K Forum MembersMIUI V5 ReviewFan Of MIUI IndiaSingapore BirthdayMi Bunny Game Master MIUI Follower

17:12, Jul-26-2014 | From PC
|
Good Interview. Thanks for sharing.

~miOrc

Christine_MI + 5 Thanks!

Elite Member

Credits
Device
Redmi 3 Prime
Online time
503 Hours
Send PM

Mi WiFi RouterMi BandMi Power BankMi BoxMi KeyMi In-Ear HeadphonesFantastic!I Love MIUIMIUI 7MIUI 2015MIUI 6FlashholicAwesome!Mi 4iMi 3Redmi 2RedmiMi TVXiaomi Mi 4Redmi 3Redmi Note 2MIUI 4th AnniversaryXiaomi 6th AnniversarySingapore BirthdayHappy Singles' DayThanksgiving DayMIUI Forum AppUEFA EURO MedalHappy Diwali1800K Forum MembersFan Of MIUI IndiaMIUI 50 Million UsersDiwali MIUI 5th Anniversary300K Forum Members1st AnniversaryI Love 2016Merry Christmas600K Forum MembersMIUI Fan From PhilippinesMIUI Fan from IndiaMIUI V5 ReviewHilal Ramadan MIUI Fan From BrazilXiaomi 5th Anniversary700K Forum Members800K Forum Members2014 ChristmasMIUI 100 Million Users1 Million Forum MembersAlpaca Mi Bunny Summer Mi BunnyI Love Mi BunnyGamer Mi BunnyMIUI Beta TeamMIUI News TeamOTA FeedbackHumor MasterPioneer of MIUI English Forum Android GuruMIUI Medals CollectorMIUI FollowerForum Contest LoverDebate MasterMIUI Twitter FollowerMIUI FB FollowerScroll Of WisdomMIUI G+ FollowerMi Lover MedalStar MIUI News Team MemberMi TalentMost Active MIUIerMIUI Global Forum 2014Star Of IconsApp Review StarDie-hard MIUI FanMIUI Android 4.4 KitKatUpdates LoverYouth PledgeInbox Zero

17:23, Jul-26-2014 | From PC
|
@helloansuman - XP was most widely used OS for PC's and because of its popularity, they kept rolling its support, and i also read somewhere that  it is on the level of perfection and probably they can't make such stable thing, at least in coming years, Even I feel Windows 7 is more stable, but don't know why they say it. After all, you have more knowledge in these things :p

Comment

dexterouz and i can't believe the year 2014 has arrived :P  14:13, Jul-27-2014
Life is a FLAC file, so don't downgrade it to a 128 kbps MP3.

Diamond Member

Credits
Device
Redmi Note
Online time
58 Hours
Send PM

Mi BandI Love MIUIMIUI Devices ContestAwesome!Redmi NoteRedmiMIUI 9MIUI Fan From SingaporeMIUI 4th AnniversaryMIUI V5 ReviewMIUI Fan from MalaysiaRocket to FutureFan Of MIUI Ex-Yu Fan Of MIUI IndiaI Love Mi BunnyMIUI FollowerOTA FeedbackStar Of IconsHumor MasterMIUI Medals CollectorMaster Of TechnologyAndroid ElfMIUI Global Forum 2014Android GuruMost Active MIUIer

17:54, Jul-26-2014 | From PC
|
Great interview. It's fun to read.

Christine_MI + 5 Thanks!

Xiaomi Redmi Note
DropbyMall.com

Diamond Member

Credits
Device
Mi 2S
Online time
101 Hours
Send PM

Awesome!I Love MIUIMi 1Mi 3Mi 2RedmiHilal Ramadan MIUI Fan from MalaysiaMIUI V5 ReviewMIUI Fan From SingaporeFan Of MIUI Ex-Yu MIUI 50 Million UsersI Love Mi BunnyPioneer of MIUI English Forum MIUI FollowerAndroid GuruMIUI ExpertMIUI Android 4.4 KitKat

18:20, Jul-26-2014 | From PC
|
I'd hit it

Credits
Device
Online time
13 Hours
Send PM
18:30, Jul-26-2014 | Via mobile
|
i envy your work

Christine_MI + 5 Great!

Platinum Member

Credits
Device
Redmi
Online time
47 Hours
Send PM

Awesome!I Love MIUIMi 1Redmi NoteMIUI 50 Million UsersSingapore BirthdayMIUI Fan From SingaporeI Love Mi BunnyMIUI News TeamAndroid GuruMIUI FollowerPioneer of MIUI English Forum

Author| 18:40, Jul-26-2014 | From PC
|
bhokali replied at 2014-7-26 16:45
Nice interview.

and what i have noticed is many people (especially mods) from Xiaomi prefer  RedMi  ...

I think it could be a case that many people have Redmi phones as compared to Mi phones. :)

Diamond Member

Credits
Device
Others
Online time
69 Hours
Send PM

Mi Band 2Awesome!I Love MIUIMIUI V5 ReviewMIUI Fan From SingaporeMIUI Fan from Malaysia2100K Forum Members300K Forum MembersMIUI 6th Anniversary1 Million Forum Members900K Forum MembersGamer Mi BunnyI Love Mi BunnyMi Bunny Game Master Pioneer of MIUI English Forum MIUI Follower

19:00, Jul-26-2014 | From PC
|
Wow, nice sharing, awesome !

Christine_MI + 5 Thanks!

Credits Management

Quick Reply Top Return to the list