Credits
Device
Mi 4i
MIUI Version
V9.2.2.0.LXIMIEK
Online time
3110 Hours
Send PM

Mi HeadphonesMi BandMi Band 2Mi HomeMijia Story TellerMi WiFi RouterMi VRMi In-Ear HeadphonesMi BoxXiaomi 7th AnniversaryMIUI 2015I Love MIUIMIUI 7MIUI Devices ContestFantastic!Awesome!FlashholicMIUI 2016MIUI 6Mi PadMi 4iXiaomi Mi 4Mi 3Mi 1Redmi4 Million Forum Members2014 ChristmasMIUI English Forum 2013Ringolicious MedalRocket to FutureThanksgiving DayMIUI 30 Million UsersMIUI Fan From IndonesiaMIUI 4th AnniversarySuper SundayFan Of  MIUI AzerbaijanMIUI Forum AppHappy Singles' DayAtaturk MourningMIUI 20 Million Users90000 Forum Members1st AnniversaryDiwali MIUI Fan From PhilippinesMIUI 9100k Forum MembersMIUI 3rd AnniversaryMIUI 7th Anniversary300K Forum Members500K Forum MembersMIUI 100 Million UsersMIUI Fan From Singapore1 Million Forum App InstallsFan Of MIUI Ex-Yu 800K Forum MembersXiaomi 5th Anniversary1 Million Forum MembersHappy Diwali2100K Forum MembersFan Of MIUI BangladeshI Love 2016MIUI 50 Million UsersHappy Valentine's DayMIUI Lucky FridayFan Of MIUI IndiaSuper Saturday600K Forum MembersMIUI Fan From Brazil3500K Forum MembersSuper Monday700K Forum MembersSuper ThursdayMIUI 5th AnniversaryI Love Mi BunnyGamer Mi BunnySummer Mi BunnyAlpaca Mi Bunny MIUI Beta TeamMIUI Beta Team VIPMIUI ReviewMi TalentMIUI Translation ContributorDebate MasterMIUI G+ FollowerMIUI Twitter FollowerAndroid ElfMIUI FB FollowerMIUI Android 4.4 KitKatAndroid GuruMIUI Ice Bucket ChallengeMi Bunny Game Master Most Active MIUIerMi Story TellerMIUI KingMi Lover MedalStar Of TechnologyMIUI Global Forum 2014MIUI Medals CollectorDie-hard MIUI FanOTA FeedbackSuper ModeratorPioneer of MIUI English Forum MIUI FollowerBest ArticleStar Of  MIUI Beta TeamSenior Beta TesterMIUI Community VIPStar Of IconsForum Contest LoverStar Bug FinderMr. DependableYouth PledgeMIUI ExpertUpdates Lover

[Other] MIUI Know-How Series XXVII: How to Speed Up Your Old Smartphone?

[ Promote]
290574 945 |
18:39, Jan-26-2018 | From PC
|
|
Go to reply no.
990 390.png

Greeting MIUIers,

I've just bought a new device and hope the problem I'm facing with the current device will not reoccur. But then the device I owned up till now was pretty fast when I bought it too. How is it in just two years the device seemed to have slowed down and so do my interest in the device. Well, fear no further. On the contrary, this phase is almost faced by all the devices and we have nothing to worry about. I did list few options in my previous topics that we can do as part of giving the device back life in earlier Know-How series and have detailed in-depth getting our Mi device to run fast again in this thread.

Step 1: What's the problem

faster.jpg

To solve this issue, the first step is to identify and define the issue. In this case, an issue can be regarded as a difference between the current situation and the desired situation by rooting out what is causing the problem: Could it be an app? Multiple apps, or the device itself? We can use third party app to assess real-time CPU usage in individual cores, an overview of network traffic for both data and Wi-Fi, GPU loads and RAM usage and more or if you are a geek user and do not want to load your device with more apps, just head over to the developer mode and in Monitor section >> Show CPU usage to identity.

Step 2: Running Low storage
storage.jpg

Normally your phone has 32 GB or 64 GB internal storage, all those selfies and photos taken over time and those apps installed like a few months ago can take their toll on the device. Just like us, the device needs a free space to run effectively. Low space, can pull the device the device performance to a very large extent. You can check how much space you have left by heading to the Storage section of Settings. Navigate to Settings > Installed Apps > Tap the Menu Button in The Bottom and Choose Sort by Size and take necessary actions to remediate the low space issue.  You could just clear app cache or uninstall it completely. Don't forget to take a look at downloaded files, probably still sitting in storage that could be deleted. Know that app cache is not a bad thing, on the contrary caches help to speed up operations. But then this is not the long-term solution. Since running the app will results accumulating data cache leading to running short of space.

Step 3: What's wrong with widgets?
widgets.jpg

The question I often get in private messages is "Are widgets useful? Is it resource hogger? Is it worth having widgets on my home screen?" and so on an so forth? After all, they also take up their fair share of resources.Right?
After all, widgets that we don’t really need is best disabling them. Ain't it? such as a clock, Music, Lock/Silent are most used one.
No, I'm not advocating against widgets; but asking you to be selective in your approach. After all, the reason of widgets make our life easy, isn't it?

Step 4: Animations
Animations.jpg

Modern mobile platforms have very powerful frameworks for creating sophisticated animations and custom graphics. These animations do make the device look great, but they could also slow things down. Drag the device performance by few secs. But, is it worth the delay? If you answer is "NO" Jump right into Settings >> Additional Settings >> Developer Options >> Set the animation scale to "Off" for all the options. Every secs matter!

Step 5: RAM
RAM.jpg

The expectation is to have the device multi-tasking several apps. That makes it easy to navigate between different apps. Did you know that these can also be an impact on performance? You can choose to close down any apps you are no longer using. This sometimes could help with applications not able to run due to low memory. This is a quick fix but not the recommended way. However, if you wish to see free RAM in your stats, head right to Security > Boost Speed. This feature would close down apps running on background, turn off options no longer in use and cools down the device significantly.

Step 6: Reboot

reboot.jpg

This has worked wonders in my personal computer running Windows and I believe you would agree too. A simple reboot option actually saves your time by automatically shutting down and turning it back on without you have to do anything. The reboot can actually clear out the temporary cache, stop unnecessary tasks running in the background. A fresh start never hurts if you ask me. Just hold down the power button, tap the Restart option, and wait for the device to boot back to lock screen.

Step 7: Software updates
update.jpg

You can never take things for granted with malware, virus, trojan pushed every day on the internet. Be it Mi updates or app updates can result in new features and improved performance, and help keep you safe from security threats. These updates are not the just fancy way of keeping OS version incremental, but mostly they contain bug-fixes and performance enhancements that can significantly speed up your device's operation. I always make sure the Google play store keeps my app updated as well as my Mi Device too.

Inspiration : AndriodPit

Recommended:

Single-option Poll, 3894 members voted
30.87% 1202
17.18% 669
51.95% 2023
Your User group have no permission to vote
Favorite629 Share

Rated by 22 people   Experience Prestige Reason  

p8z68ud2h + 5 Awesome!
Raj@5155 + 5 Awesome!
sp4rrowjack + 2 Great!
1629574936 + 2 Awesome!
Xiaomiinua + 1 Thanks!
Yurik3069 + 2 Thanks!
DoZiks + 1 Awesome!
dobriy_putnik + 2 Thanks!
polreddy1 + 2 Great!
Nadya112 + 1 <font style="vertical-align: inh
piotrom87 + 1 Great!
sampathmadurai + 5 Fantastic!
hearthekker + 4 Fantastic!
blackfirefly434 + 10 + 5 Awesome!
kistner@mail.ru + 1 Great!
Dr.Öpler + 1 Agreed!
dilpo + 10 + 3 Awesome!
bratskij + 2 Thanks!
Valtamm + 1 Thanks!
Polden1978 + 1 Thanks!
Smietana + 10 + 3 Great!
mohanbdbd + 2 Thanks!

Experience +71  Prestige +11  View Rating Log

Retired

MIUI Beta Team - Global

Credits
Device
Redmi Note 4 Qualcomm
MIUI Version
Online time
17 Hours
Send PM

Mijia Smart PTZ CameraMi Band 2Mijia Walkie TalkieXiaomi 7th AnniversaryMIUI Devices ContestFantastic!Redmi Note 4X4 Million Forum MembersRooster Year of 2017Happy New Year1800K Forum MembersMIUI 7th AnniversaryMIUI 9MIUI Lucky FridayMIUI 2017Puzzle MasterRocket to FutureHappy DiwaliMIUI Forum AppPioneer of MIUI English Forum OTA FeedbackForum Contest LoverMIUI FollowerAndroid GuruScroll Of WisdomMr. DependableMIUI Halloween 2017Technology GuruRingtone ExpertMIUI Android 4.4 KitKatMIUI ExpertMIUI Medals CollectorMi Lover MedalUpdates Lover

17:04, Feb-01-2018 | Via mobile
|
Thanks for sharing this

MIUI Bug Hunter Team

Credits
Device
Mi 5s Plus
MIUI Version
Online time
534 Hours
Send PM

Mi  BunnyUnlock MedalXiaomi 6 LaunchMi Kids WatchMi BandMi HeadphonesMi Bluetooth SpeakerXiaomi 7th AnniversaryFantastic!MIUI Devices ContestAwesome!MIUI 8MIUI 2016MarshmallowI Love MIUIFlashholicMi TVMi 5s PlusRedmi Note 34 Million Forum MembersMIUI Fan From IndonesiaMid-Autumn FestivalMIUI Forum App1400K Forum MembersMIUI 6th Anniversary1500K Forum MembersFan Of MIUI Bangladesh10 Million Forum PostsSuper MondayMIUI 2017MIUI Happy MedalMIUI Fan From VietnamHappy New YearMIUI 7th AnniversaryMIUI Fan From PhilippinesPokemon Master MedalRocket to Future300K Forum MembersMIUI 9Summer Mi BunnyGamer Mi BunnyI Love Mi BunnyMIUI FollowerAndroid GuruMi Lover MedalForum Contest LoverMIUI Android 4.4 KitKatMi TalentMIUI Halloween 2017Most Active MIUIer2017 Annual AwardsPioneer of MIUI English Forum Scroll Of WisdomDebate MasterTechnology GuruAndroid ElfMaster Of TechnologyDie-hard MIUI Fan

17:05, Feb-01-2018 | Via mobile
|
Nice share

Diamond Member

Credits
Device
Galaxy Note3
MIUI Version
V9.0.3.0.NCFMIEI
Online time
2 Hours
Send PM

Mi Kids WatchAwesome!MIUI SMerry ChristmasMIUI 9Die-hard MIUI Fan

17:07, Feb-01-2018 | From Redmi Note 4X
|
Thanks for sharing

MIUI Beta Team - Global

Credits
Device
Redmi Note 3
MIUI Version
Online time
75 Hours
Send PM

Mijia Smart PTZ CameraMijia Walkie TalkieMi Band 2Mi HeadphonesMijia VR Play 2Mi MIXMi Bluetooth SpeakerMi Bluetooth HeadsetMi HomeMi Kids WatchMi VRXiaomi 7th AnniversaryFantastic!MIUI 8MIUI Devices ContestFlashholicMIUI 2016I Love MIUIAwesome!4 Million Forum Members5 Million Forum App InstallsSuper TuesdayMIUI Happy MedalMIUI World Tour3500K Forum MembersMIUI Lucky FridaySuper ThursdayFan Of MIUI ItalyHappy Valentine's DaySuper SundayMIUI Font LoverSuper SaturdaySuper MondaySuper FridayRocket to FutureMIUI Forum AppMIUI Fan from IndiaHappy Holi Medal10 Million Forum PostsMIUI 50 Million UsersMIUI 100 Million UsersHappy New YearAtaturk MourningMerry ChristmasMIUI 2017Thanksgiving DayI Love 2016MIUI PMIUI 20 Million UsersMIUI SWomen's Day MedalSuper WednesdayRooster Year of 2017Happy Diwali3 Million Forum MembersFan Of MIUI IndiaPuzzle Master90000 Forum MembersMIUI Philippines Fan MeetupMIUI 9Diwali Surge S13 Million Forum App InstallsMIUI 7th AnniversaryMIUI Drawing TalentGamer Mi BunnyMiPopAndroid GuruMi Lover MedalForum Contest LoverDie-hard MIUI FanScroll Of WisdomAndroid ElfTheme TalentOTA FeedbackMr. DependableMIUI Halloween 2017MIUI G+ FollowerMIUI Twitter FollowerStar Wars6 Million Forum MembersStar Of Technology2017 Annual AwardsTechnology GuruMIUI FollowerMaster Of TechnologyMi TalentDebate MasterMIUI Expert7 Million Forum MembersMost Popular Forum UserMi Bunny Game Master MIUI Medals CollectorMost Active MIUIerPioneer of MIUI English Forum Updates Lover

17:09, Feb-01-2018 | Via mobile
|
Nice info..

Gold Member

Credits
Device
MIUI Version
V9.2.2.0.NCAMIEK
Online time
0 Hours
Send PM

Mi Kids WatchMi Bluetooth HeadsetMIUI S7 Million Forum Members

17:11, Feb-01-2018 | From Mi 6
|
thank you for sharing

Gold Member

Credits
Device
Redmi Note 5A
Redmi Note 5A
MIUI Version
Online time
1 Hours
Send PM

Awesome!MiPopDie-hard MIUI Fan

17:11, Feb-01-2018 | From Redmi Note 5A Prime
|
Nice topic 👍🏾

MIUI Beta Team - Global

Credits
Device
Mi Max 128GB
MIUI Version
Online time
39 Hours
Send PM

Mi  BunnyMi HomeMi Kids WatchMi Water PurifierMi Power StripXiaomi 7th AnniversaryMIUI 2016MIUI Devices ContestI Love MIUIAwesome!Mi Pad 2Happy New Year3 Million Forum App InstallsMIUI 7th AnniversaryRooster Year of 2017MIUI 20171 Million Forum App InstallsI Love 2016Rocket to FutureMerry ChristmasMIUI 100 Million UsersHappy Valentine's DaySuper TuesdayMIUI 6th AnniversaryMIUI Happy MedalPuzzle MasterMIUI Forum AppMi Live Medal3 Million Forum Members1500K Forum MembersMIUI 9Surge S110 Million Forum PostsDie-hard MIUI FanUpdates LoverPioneer of MIUI English Forum MIUI FollowerMi Lover MedalScroll Of WisdomDebate MasterYouth PledgeAndroid Guru

17:11, Feb-01-2018 | From Mi Max Prime
|
Thanks for sharing

MIUI Beta Team - Global

Credits
Device
Redmi 1S
MIUI Version
V9.2.3.0.NAMMIEK
Online time
6 Hours
Send PM

Mi Band 2Mijia Qi CycleXiaomi 6 LaunchMi Bluetooth SpeakerMi Kids WatchMi Bluetooth HeadsetMijia Story TellerMijia VR Play 2Xiaomi 7th AnniversaryMIUI Devices ContestAwesome!MIUI 8I Love MIUI3500K Forum MembersSuper WednesdaySuper TuesdaySuper ThursdaySuper MondayMIUI 201790000 Forum MembersMIUI Lucky FridayHappy DiwaliMIUI 20 Million UsersMIUI 9Rocket to Future2017 Annual AwardsMi Lover MedalMi Story TellerForum Contest LoverDie-hard MIUI FanMost Popular Forum User7 Million Forum MembersPioneer of MIUI English Forum Mi TalentUpdates LoverMi Bunny Game Master Scroll Of Wisdom

17:12, Feb-01-2018 | From Redmi Note 5A Prime
|
very useful information

Diamond Member

Credits
Device
MIUI Version
V8.5.8.0.NCFMIED
Online time
0 Hours
Send PM

Awesome!Merry ChristmasMIUI 9Happy New YearMIUI SMIUI PMIUI Lucky FridayRocket to FutureMiPopAndroid GuruDie-hard MIUI FanMi Lover Medal6 Million Forum Members2017 Annual Awards

17:14, Feb-01-2018 | From Redmi Note 4X
|
Thanks for sharing

Credits Management

Quick Reply Top Return to the list