Credits
Device
Mi 4i
Online time
3266 Hours
Send PM

Mi BoxMi HeadphonesMi Band 2Mi WiFi RouterMijia Story TellerMi HomeMi In-Ear HeadphonesMi VRMi BandXiaomi 7th AnniversaryAwesome!FlashholicMIUI 2016MIUI Devices ContestI Love MIUIMIUI 6Fantastic!MIUI 7MIUI 2015Mi PadXiaomi Mi 4Mi 4iMi 1RedmiMi 34 Million Forum Members500K Forum Members300K Forum MembersMIUI 100 Million UsersMIUI 20 Million UsersMIUI Fan From PhilippinesXiaomi 5th Anniversary1st AnniversaryMIUI Fan From Brazil90000 Forum MembersMIUI Fan From IndonesiaMIUI 3rd AnniversaryThanksgiving Day2014 Christmas100k Forum Members600K Forum MembersMIUI English Forum 2013MIUI 30 Million UsersFan Of  MIUI AzerbaijanAtaturk MourningHappy Singles' DayRocket to FutureHappy Valentine's Day3500K Forum MembersSuper SaturdaySuper MondaySuper Thursday1 Million Forum App InstallsMIUI Lucky FridaySuper SundayMIUI Forum AppMIUI 9Puzzle MasterMIUI 7th AnniversaryDiwali Ringolicious MedalFan Of MIUI IndiaI Love 2016Fan Of MIUI Ex-Yu MIUI Fan From Singapore800K Forum MembersMIUI 5th Anniversary700K Forum Members1 Million Forum MembersMIUI 50 Million Users2100K Forum MembersFan Of MIUI BangladeshMIUI 4th AnniversaryHappy DiwaliSummer Mi BunnyAlpaca Mi Bunny I Love Mi BunnyGamer Mi BunnyMIUI Beta Team VIPMIUI Beta TeamMIUI ReviewPioneer of MIUI English Forum MIUI Android 4.4 KitKatAndroid GuruMIUI Translation ContributorMi TalentMIUI FB FollowerMIUI Twitter FollowerMIUI G+ FollowerDebate MasterMi Lover MedalMost Active MIUIerMIUI Weekly Devices QuizMIUI 8th AnniversaryMi Bunny Game Master MIUI Ice Bucket ChallengeStar Of TechnologyMIUI KingMi Story TellerBest ArticleAndroid ElfOTA FeedbackUpdates LoverSuper ModeratorDie-hard MIUI FanMr. DependableStar Of  MIUI Beta TeamSenior Beta TesterMIUI Community VIPStar Of IconsStar Bug FinderMIUI Medals CollectorMIUI FollowerMIUI Global Forum 2014Forum Contest LoverMIUI ExpertYouth Pledge

[Other] MIUI Know-How Series XXVII: How to Speed Up Your Old Smartphone?

[ Promote]
297410 951 |
18:39, Jan-26-2018 | From PC
|
|
Go to reply no.
990 390.png

Greeting MIUIers,

I've just bought a new device and hope the problem I'm facing with the current device will not reoccur. But then the device I owned up till now was pretty fast when I bought it too. How is it in just two years the device seemed to have slowed down and so do my interest in the device. Well, fear no further. On the contrary, this phase is almost faced by all the devices and we have nothing to worry about. I did list few options in my previous topics that we can do as part of giving the device back life in earlier Know-How series and have detailed in-depth getting our Mi device to run fast again in this thread.

Step 1: What's the problem

faster.jpg

To solve this issue, the first step is to identify and define the issue. In this case, an issue can be regarded as a difference between the current situation and the desired situation by rooting out what is causing the problem: Could it be an app? Multiple apps, or the device itself? We can use third party app to assess real-time CPU usage in individual cores, an overview of network traffic for both data and Wi-Fi, GPU loads and RAM usage and more or if you are a geek user and do not want to load your device with more apps, just head over to the developer mode and in Monitor section >> Show CPU usage to identity.

Step 2: Running Low storage
storage.jpg

Normally your phone has 32 GB or 64 GB internal storage, all those selfies and photos taken over time and those apps installed like a few months ago can take their toll on the device. Just like us, the device needs a free space to run effectively. Low space, can pull the device the device performance to a very large extent. You can check how much space you have left by heading to the Storage section of Settings. Navigate to Settings > Installed Apps > Tap the Menu Button in The Bottom and Choose Sort by Size and take necessary actions to remediate the low space issue.  You could just clear app cache or uninstall it completely. Don't forget to take a look at downloaded files, probably still sitting in storage that could be deleted. Know that app cache is not a bad thing, on the contrary caches help to speed up operations. But then this is not the long-term solution. Since running the app will results accumulating data cache leading to running short of space.

Step 3: What's wrong with widgets?
widgets.jpg

The question I often get in private messages is "Are widgets useful? Is it resource hogger? Is it worth having widgets on my home screen?" and so on an so forth? After all, they also take up their fair share of resources.Right?
After all, widgets that we don’t really need is best disabling them. Ain't it? such as a clock, Music, Lock/Silent are most used one.
No, I'm not advocating against widgets; but asking you to be selective in your approach. After all, the reason of widgets make our life easy, isn't it?

Step 4: Animations
Animations.jpg

Modern mobile platforms have very powerful frameworks for creating sophisticated animations and custom graphics. These animations do make the device look great, but they could also slow things down. Drag the device performance by few secs. But, is it worth the delay? If you answer is "NO" Jump right into Settings >> Additional Settings >> Developer Options >> Set the animation scale to "Off" for all the options. Every secs matter!

Step 5: RAM
RAM.jpg

The expectation is to have the device multi-tasking several apps. That makes it easy to navigate between different apps. Did you know that these can also be an impact on performance? You can choose to close down any apps you are no longer using. This sometimes could help with applications not able to run due to low memory. This is a quick fix but not the recommended way. However, if you wish to see free RAM in your stats, head right to Security > Boost Speed. This feature would close down apps running on background, turn off options no longer in use and cools down the device significantly.

Step 6: Reboot

reboot.jpg

This has worked wonders in my personal computer running Windows and I believe you would agree too. A simple reboot option actually saves your time by automatically shutting down and turning it back on without you have to do anything. The reboot can actually clear out the temporary cache, stop unnecessary tasks running in the background. A fresh start never hurts if you ask me. Just hold down the power button, tap the Restart option, and wait for the device to boot back to lock screen.

Step 7: Software updates
update.jpg

You can never take things for granted with malware, virus, trojan pushed every day on the internet. Be it Mi updates or app updates can result in new features and improved performance, and help keep you safe from security threats. These updates are not the just fancy way of keeping OS version incremental, but mostly they contain bug-fixes and performance enhancements that can significantly speed up your device's operation. I always make sure the Google play store keeps my app updated as well as my Mi Device too.

Inspiration : AndriodPit

Recommended:

Single-option Poll, 3921 members voted
31.01% 1216
17.21% 675
51.77% 2030
Your User group have no permission to vote
Favorite629 Share

Rated by 23 people   Experience Prestige Reason  

MiFael + 4 Awesome!
p8z68ud2h + 5 Awesome!
Raj@5155 + 5 Awesome!
sp4rrowjack + 2 Great!
1629574936 + 2 Awesome!
Xiaomiinua + 1 Thanks!
Yurik3069 + 2 Thanks!
DoZiks + 1 Awesome!
dobriy_putnik + 2 Thanks!
polreddy1 + 2 Great!
Nadya112 + 1 <font style="vertical-align: inh
piotrom87 + 1 Great!
sampathmadurai + 5 Fantastic!
hearthekker + 4 Fantastic!
blackfirefly434 + 10 + 5 Awesome!
kistner@mail.ru + 1 Great!
Dr.Öpler + 1 Agreed!
dilpo + 10 + 3 Awesome!
bratskij + 2 Thanks!
Valtamm + 1 Thanks!
Polden1978 + 1 Thanks!
Smietana + 10 + 3 Great!
mohanbdbd + 2 Thanks!

Experience +75  Prestige +11  View Rating Log

Retired

Platinum Member

Credits
Device
Redmi Note 5/Pro
Online time
18 Hours
Send PM

Mijia Smart PTZ CameraMijia Walkie TalkieMi Band 2Unlock MedalMi  BunnyMijia Smart ShoesXiaomi 7th AnniversaryMIUI Devices ContestFantastic!I Love MIUIRedmi Note 4X4 Million Forum MembersHappy New YearRooster Year of 2017MIUI Happy MedalSuper Sunday1800K Forum MembersMIUI 2017Puzzle MasterMIUI Forum AppMIUI 9MIUI Lucky FridayHappy DiwaliRocket to FutureMIUI 7th Anniversary2017 Annual AwardsStar WarsMi TalentOreoSurpriseMr. DependableMIUI Halloween 201725 Million StrongMIUI Weekly Devices QuizDie-hard MIUI FanXiaomi 8th Anniversary8 Million Forum MembersForum Contest LoverPioneer of MIUI English Forum MIUI Android 4.4 KitKatUpdates LoverMIUI FollowerMIUI ExpertMIUI Medals CollectorTechnology GuruAndroid GuruRingtone ExpertMi Lover MedalOTA FeedbackScroll Of Wisdom

17:04, Feb-01-2018 | Via mobile
|
Thanks for sharing this

Credits
Device
Mi 8
Online time
835 Hours
Send PM

Unlock MedalMi Kids WatchMi  BunnyMi BandXiaomi 6 LaunchMi HeadphonesMi Bluetooth SpeakerXiaomi 7th AnniversaryAnTuTuMIUI Devices ContestFlashholicMIUI 8Fantastic!I Love MIUIAwesome!MIUI 2016MarshmallowRedmi Note 3Mi TVMi 5s Plus4 Million Forum MembersMIUI Forum AppMid-Autumn Festival1500K Forum Members1400K Forum MembersSuper MondayMIUI Happy MedalMIUI Fan From Vietnam2 Million Forum MembersMIUI Fan From PhilippinesHappy New YearPokemon Master MedalMIUI 6th AnniversaryRocket to FutureMIUI 2017MIUI 7th AnniversaryMIUI 910 Million Forum PostsFan Of MIUI BangladeshMIUI Fan From Indonesia300K Forum MembersI Love Mi BunnyGamer Mi BunnySummer Mi BunnyAndroid GuruMi TalentMIUI Weekly Devices QuizBlack Shark2017 Annual Awards8 Million Forum MembersMost Active MIUIerTheme TalentStar WarsRedmi Quiz MasterMIUI Halloween 2017Android ElfPioneer of MIUI English Forum Forum Contest LoverMaster Of TechnologyTechnology GuruDebate MasterMIUI FollowerScroll Of WisdomMIUI Android 4.4 KitKatMi Lover MedalDie-hard MIUI Fan

17:05, Feb-01-2018 | Via mobile
|
Nice share

Diamond Member

Credits
Device
Galaxy Note3
Online time
2 Hours
Send PM

Mi Kids WatchAwesome!MIUI Devices ContestMIUI SHappy Valentine's DayMIUI 9Merry ChristmasMIUI Happy MedalMi Lover MedalRedmi Quiz MasterDie-hard MIUI FanTheme TalentForum Contest Lover

17:07, Feb-01-2018 | From Redmi Note 4X
|
Thanks for sharing

MIUI Beta Team - Global

Credits
Device
Redmi Note 5/Pro
Online time
320 Hours
Send PM

Mi BoxUnlock MedalMijia 360° Panoramic CameraMi HomeMijia Smart PTZ CameraMijia Walkie TalkieMi VRMijia VR Play 2Mi Bluetooth SpeakerMi HeadphonesMi MIXMagic CubeMi Kids WatchMi Power BankMi WiFi RouterMi Band 2Ninebot MiniMi  BunnyMi Bluetooth HeadsetMi T-ShirtMi BandXiaomi 7th AnniversaryAnTuTuFantastic!MIUI 8MIUI Devices ContestI Love MIUIMIUI 2016FlashholicAwesome!4 Million Forum MembersSuper MondaySuper ThursdaySuper FridayMIUI Happy MedalMIUI Lucky FridayMIUI Fan from IndiaPuzzle MasterSurge S1Happy Valentine's DaySuper Wednesday3 Million Forum MembersWomen's Day MedalThanksgiving DayHappy Singles' DayMIUI Weekly PollMIUI Fan From Indonesia2 Million Forum MembersXiaomi 6th AnniversaryMid-Autumn FestivalMIUI Marathon MedalI Love 2016Happy New YearMIUI Drawing TalentFan Of MIUI India3 Million Forum App InstallsRooster Year of 2017MIUI 2017Merry ChristmasFan Of MIUI Italy10 Million Forum PostsMIUI 100 Million UsersMIUI Philippines Fan Meetup3500K Forum MembersSuper TuesdayMIUI World TourMIUI 9MIUI 7th AnniversaryMIUI 50 Million UsersAtaturk MourningHappy Diwali5 Million Forum App InstallsDiwali MIUI S90000 Forum MembersSuper SaturdayMIUI PHappy Holi MedalMIUI 20 Million UsersMIUI Forum AppSuper SundayMIUI Font LoverRocket to FutureGamer Mi BunnyMiPopMIUI FB Follower6 Million Forum MembersSurpriseStar WarsMIUI KingXiaomi 8th AnniversaryMIUI 8th AnniversaryTheme TalentApp StarMIUI SuperstarMIUI G+ FollowerMIUI Twitter Follower25 Million StrongQuick SurveyIndia Independence Day10 Million Forum Members2017 Annual AwardsBlack Shark9 Million Forum MembersStar Of TechnologyMIUI Quick DiscussionMIUI Weekly Devices QuizAndroid GuruMost Popular Forum UserScroll Of WisdomPioneer of MIUI English Forum OTA FeedbackAndroid ElfMaster Of TechnologyDebate MasterMIUI Expert7 Million Forum MembersMi TalentUpdates LoverMost Active MIUIerDie-hard MIUI Fan8 Million Forum MembersMIUI Halloween 2017Mr. DependableNougatOreoMIUI Medals CollectorRedmi Quiz MasterMi Bunny Game Master Technology GuruForum Contest LoverMIUI FollowerMi Lover Medal

17:09, Feb-01-2018 | Via mobile
|
Nice info..

Platinum Member

Credits
Device
Online time
3 Hours
Send PM

Yi Action CameraMijia 360° Panoramic CameraMagic CubeUnlock MedalMi  BunnyMijia Smart ShoesMi WiFi RouterMi T-ShirtMi Power BankMi BoxMi Notebook AirMi Bluetooth HeadsetMi Kids WatchAnTuTuI Love MIUIMIUI Devices ContestMIUI Lucky FridayFan Of MIUI IndiaRocket to Future2 Million Forum MembersMIUI PHappy Singles' DayMIUI Fan from TurkeyMIUI Weekly Poll1st AnniversaryPuzzle MasterXiaomi 6th AnniversaryMIUI Fan From IndonesiaMIUI SHappy Valentine's DaySuper SundaySuper MondayWomen's Day MedalMIUI Happy MedalMIUI 95 Million Forum App InstallsSuper Saturday10 Million Forum PostsMiPopGamer Mi BunnySurpriseBlack Shark7 Million Forum MembersStar Of TechnologyMIUI 8th AnniversaryNougat9 Million Forum MembersDebate MasterDie-hard MIUI Fan8 Million Forum MembersAndroid GuruMIUI FollowerForum Contest LoverMi Lover MedalAndroid ElfMIUI Weekly Devices QuizOreoMIUI Quick DiscussionQuick Survey5 Million Forum MembersMIUI FB FollowerApp StarStar Wars2017 Annual AwardsMi TalentOTA FeedbackMi Story TellerXiaomi 8th Anniversary

17:11, Feb-01-2018 | From Mi 6
|
thank you for sharing

Gold Member

Credits
Device
Redmi 2
Online time
2 Hours
Send PM

Awesome!MIUI PMiPopMi Lover MedalDie-hard MIUI FanRedmi Note 5A/Prime

17:11, Feb-01-2018 | From Redmi Note 5A Prime
|
Nice topic 👍🏾

MIUI Beta Team - Global

Credits
Device
Mi Max 128GB
Online time
47 Hours
Send PM

Mi Water PurifierMi HomeMi Power StripMi Kids WatchMi  BunnyXiaomi 7th AnniversaryAwesome!MIUI 2016MIUI Devices ContestI Love MIUIMi Pad 21 Million Forum App InstallsMIUI 20173 Million Forum App InstallsMIUI Forum AppHappy New YearMerry ChristmasRooster Year of 2017I Love 2016MIUI 6th AnniversaryWomen's Day Medal1500K Forum MembersMi Live MedalSuper TuesdayRocket to FuturePuzzle MasterHappy Valentine's DayMIUI 9MIUI Happy MedalMIUI 7th AnniversaryMIUI 100 Million Users10 Million Forum PostsSurge S13 Million Forum MembersMi Story TellerDie-hard MIUI FanStar Of TechnologyMIUI FollowerScroll Of WisdomUpdates LoverAndroid GuruDebate MasterYouth PledgeMi Lover MedalPioneer of MIUI English Forum

17:11, Feb-01-2018 | From Mi Max Prime
|
Thanks for sharing

Platinum Member

Credits
Device
Redmi 1S
Online time
6 Hours
Send PM

Mijia Story TellerMi Band 2Mi Bluetooth SpeakerMijia VR Play 2Xiaomi 6 LaunchMi BoxMijia Qi CycleMi Kids WatchMi Notebook AirMi Bluetooth HeadsetMijia 360° Panoramic CameraXiaomi 7th AnniversaryMIUI 8MIUI Devices ContestI Love MIUIAwesome!MIUI 2017Super Thursday3500K Forum MembersMIUI Happy MedalSuper TuesdaySuper MondaySuper WednesdayMIUI Lucky FridayHappy DiwaliMIUI 9MIUI 20 Million UsersRocket to Future90000 Forum Members2017 Annual AwardsMIUI Weekly Devices QuizStar WarsMi Lover MedalOreoForum Contest LoverPioneer of MIUI English Forum Scroll Of Wisdom7 Million Forum MembersDie-hard MIUI FanMi TalentMost Popular Forum UserUpdates LoverMi Bunny Game Master Mi Story Teller

17:12, Feb-01-2018 | From Redmi Note 5A Prime
|
very useful information

Platinum Member

Credits
Device
Online time
0 Hours
Send PM

Awesome!MIUI Devices ContestI Love MIUIHappy Valentine's DayHappy New YearRocket to FutureWomen's Day MedalSuper MondayMIUI Lucky FridayMerry ChristmasMIUI SMIUI 9MIUI PMiPopTheme TalentForum Contest LoverMIUI Weekly Devices QuizNougatMi Lover Medal6 Million Forum MembersAndroid GuruMIUI FollowerMIUI Halloween 20172017 Annual AwardsDie-hard MIUI Fan

17:14, Feb-01-2018 | From Redmi Note 4X
|
Thanks for sharing

Credits Management

Quick Reply Top Return to the list